2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball

315,244 Views | 1447 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Most of us on The Sawmill are what I would call "Aspirational Fans" By aspirational I mean that some of us (myself) visualize SFA going on a 9 game winning streak and joining the real top 25. That started with TAMU CC. Ugh. Now I have to change my aspirations.
sfa17
Yes, i would have rather won against CC. But we can't go back and hopefully this is a blessing in disguise. No win is given, it is earned. The part that sucks is that CC has consistently Been beat us in the last couple of matches. Idk the record but they have more wins against us in the last 4 or 5 meetings. I think a few years ago CC was the 1 loss we had when we went 17-1(I think )
cboothe09
Corpus is the only SLC team to beat Underwood
SFASawmillGuy
And we dominated them in Katy as revenge.
RedRiverLa
We were going to lose to a team we shouldn't lose to this year - just part of the game. The trick is to minimize nights like this, so hopefully this is just one more level of motivation. And not sure if anyone is noticing but Rutgers is 12-3 and second in the Big 10. Not to mention Underwood is 11-5 and beat a top 10 team. Systems just take time to pay off and I think we are starting to see Keller's system pay off - we'll be fine.
RedRiverLa
Rutgers and Illinois playing a great game now on Big Ten Network.
nacluth
Illinois won an ugly game. Reminded me of our Rutgers game.
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

Illinois won an ugly game. Reminded me of our Rutgers game.
Second place in Big Ten , now.
nacluth
True, but if the can break .500 for conference play, they'll be doing well.
sfa17
GCU televises some of their home games on their local Fox channel. Would be awesome if
we could do something like that

SFASawmillGuy
Unfortunately the ESPN deal bites us in the butt in that aspect. Before it we would actually have some regionally or even state wide broadcast home games for football and basketball. I remember one of our home games back in 2012 or 2013 being on Fox Sports Southwest.
But with the ESPN deal they get first dibs on all broadcasts, meaning the majority of our games are gonna be ESPN3 or ESPN+ games.
sfa17
all of GCU's home games are also televised on ESPN 3 and ESPN plus
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/2253
SFASawmillGuy
True but they may not have the "exclusive" deal we have.
PurpleOut
Staff
They also have the privilege of being located in a big city (Phoenix) with better local news/coverage.
No-look
Gotta get back on trac Wednesday. Jacks just need to win and everything will work out fine. UCA will be a test but if you are to win the Southland you can't be dropping Multiple winnable games. AxeEm!
Pilotgirl
No-look said:

Gotta get back on trac Wednesday. Jacks just need to win and everything will work out fine. UCA will be a test but if you are to win the Southland you can't be dropping Multiple winnable games. AxeEm!

Im done with my teams losing winnable games. Ugh!
cboothe09
It's been a bad 24 hours. SFA is my only salvation. No hope for the Rockets. I'd be okay with NHL coming to Houston
No-look
Bama just beat undefeated #4 Auburn by 19. We lost to Bama by 10. Just saying.
nacluth
Now if we could get Corpus to beat Gonzaga...
No-look
nacluth said:

Now if we could get Corpus to beat Gonzaga...
Thanks nacluth, I needed that. Lol
SFAJack_76
Comeaux and Daniels at practice today. Daniels is no contact, so he is not cleared to play yet.

From the radio show.
BigJack85
I consider that good news.
nacluth
Maybe for another time, but another reason to lose conference tournaments as a way to pick NCAA bids.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28523952/do-college-basketball-conference-titles-predict-success-ncaa-tournament
SteelAxe
I think this year's Rutgers game is a positive for keller and the staff. I realize they lost to them by a significant amount and that no matter how well rutgers performs(currently 24th) the rest of the season it will likely have no effect on seeding for the Jack's. if we are fortunate enough to make the tournament, To me it shows the attention to detail and to recognize talent. There are plenty of lower tier power 5 teams closer than new Jersey that they could have scheduled. I realize we complain about non con scheduling every year and it could be pure chance that we scheduled Rutgers during their best season in 50 years but I choose to be optimistic that it was not coincidence
SFAJack_76
Special.
SFAJack_76
One can dream.
BigJack85
If we keep winning that game at the end of the regular season should be a full collision. If Sam has a shot at the title it will sell out. I plan on being there!!!
cboothe09
That game is part of a golf bet between me and some friends. Me and our golf coach are SFA alumni. Our Ag teacher and SpEd assistant are Sam alumni.

We win: They have to go to SFA/Sam basketball in Nac and wear purple. I already have tickets, so they have to buy drinks.

They win: We go to SFA/Sam baseball in Nac and we have to pay admission.
No-look
Is there a local radio show that recaps games with players and coaches?
nacluth
The Coaches' Show I believe is Monday nights (tonight) at 6 on Q107.7. Typically it's Rob Meyers interviewing Keller and a player or two and maybe Kellogg at Bottlecap Alley. They don't do it on travel weeks, but I think they are supposed to have it tonight.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

The Coaches' Show I believe is Monday nights (tonight) at 6 on Q107.7. Typically it's Rob Meyers interviewing Keller and a player or two and maybe Kellogg at Bottlecap Alley. They don't do it on travel weeks, but I think they are supposed to have it tonight.
7:00 on most Mondays including tonight. I expect they will have at least softball and baseball some shows also. Probably Keller and Kellogg tonight.
nacluth
Yep. Believe 76 over me.

sfajack05
SFAJack_76 said:

One can dream.

That will never happen especially with our students. They can't even stand up for a full game.
TallTexan
sfajack05 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

One can dream.

That will never happen especially with our students. They can't even stand up for a full game.
I semi disagree there. I've never watched much tech basketball, but nobody was tweeting photos from Lubbock like that before Beard that I saw.

We need to help nurture & encourage Purple Haze to up their game. We might not ever match Tech, but we've got a lot of room for improvements that we can accomplish.
PurpleOut
Staff
Because they were never really good until Beard. The few seasons that they were decent under Tubby Smith they had great crowds. Winning cures all in most cases.

But not in our case it seems, at least right now. The student turnout for UIW last weekend was pathetic in my opinion. Encouraging them doesn't work, especially PHA as an organization. They take any comment or suggestion as an insult and shut down. I've experienced that several times first hand unfortunately.

Our students only show up if we're playing Sam Houston, or if they get something for free. Showing up is only half the battle unfortunately (as 05 mentioned), but we have to take on that battle first.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.