2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball

318,714 Views | 1447 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

PSA.

"Now is the time to place your deposit on 2021 Basketball Season Tickets for both RENEWALS & NEW purchases. For a limited time only, with your deposit, you will secure 2020 pricing for your 2021 season ticket!"

https://ev7.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=BBST&linkID=sfasu&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

Thanks, 76. Got mine. Seems mighty early for them to be doing this, but I guess they're striking while the fire is hot.
Expect a lot of changes in ticketing. Wally Crittenden is working on a number of initiatives.
BigJack85
Crittenden seems like a top notch guy. He looks to be reviving the ticket office. Maybe a marketing guy down the road.
W1964
No information given. This reads like a scam to me. Surely it's not but, smells fishy to me.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Just bought SLC tourney tickets and made my reserve deposit on next years season tix at box office.
nacluth
See y'all in Katy. Got my tix.
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Just bought SLC tourney tickets and made my reserve deposit on next years season tix at box office.

We did the same.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

We did the same.

Great minds!!
SFA Jack Fanatic
If you're referring to the tickets for next year, it definitely is NOT a scam.
PurpleOut
Staff
Going to be out tailgating next weekend, if your in town come out early and join us. I hope our fans show up in force for our last game.
Pilotgirl
ACU is already jumping on Tuesday. I watched AcU vs Sam and Acu crowd was loud. Wish I could be there

jflandis
I'm not sure what Coach Keller's current contract term is, but I think it's time for the athletic department to consider a multi-year extension or perhaps a lifetime contract. We knew early on what an awesome person and role mode we had hired. After the job he has done this year it is clear we also hired an equally impressive coach. It seems Coach Keller and his family genuinely enjoy being part of the community. It's a perfect fit and I think he should be rewarded with job security for as long as he would like to be at SFA.
No-look
Just saw a March Madness commercial and Nate's layup made the clip.
BigJack85
jflandis said:

I'm not sure what Coach Keller's current contract term is, but I think it's time for the athletic department to consider a multi-year extension or perhaps a lifetime contract. We knew early on what an awesome person and role mode we had hired. After the job he has done this year it is clear we also hired an equally impressive coach. It seems Coach Keller and his family genuinely enjoy being part of the community. It's a perfect fit and I think he should be rewarded with job security for as long as he would like to be at SFA.

I'd support an extension if we can get an agreement regarding a consideration if he is poached by a school paying more than X $'s
No-look
Speaking in general:
Coach to wife: Baby we can get a three million dollar per year raise if I take this other job.
djsfw57
On the Baylor-TCU game last night they talked about how SFA had only lost 3 games this year, along with Kansas and Liberty. (Liberty then went on to lose last night.) It was pretty nice to get that national attention.
TallTexan
djsfw57 said:

On the Baylor-TCU game last night they talked about how SFA had only lost 3 games this year, along with Kansas and Liberty. (Liberty then went on to lose last night.) It was pretty nice to get that national attention.

With Baylor's loss, I'm pretty sure that makes us the winningest program in the state this decade.
Ljacks&Longnecks
No Look is right on this....in no way could SFA go toe to toe moneywise vs the Big schools.

That said, worry about that later when and if....much more March gaming to focus on right now.
sfajack05
Can donor money be used to pay salaries?

Lets say this team goes on a sweet 16 or better run...can a donor come in and say here is $3 million lets keep Keller?
SFAJack_76
sfajack05 said:

Lets say this team goes on a sweet 16 or better run...can a donor come in and say here is $3 million lets keep Keller?
I believe the answer is yes. However, beyond basketball, the current sad state of our facilities is such that any significant donation would be preferred to go to improving/building them.

Unless, you are offering to put up ~$3 million a year for the next five. Then, go ahead.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfajack05 said:

Yes, it absolutely can. That's exactly how UT and A&M keep throwing a ludicrous amount of money at their revolving doors of underachieving coaches. The majority of those funds are coming from deep-pocket donors, not directly from the universities' budgets.

Pilotgirl
And the rumors/speculation begins:

jboy93
Bottom line is Keller has to want to stay at SFA and build something. Just like Few in Gonzaga did. He is still only, and I say that tongue in cheek, making just under 2 million a year which puts him somewhere around 60th in D1 salaries. His success has the head hunters after him but he has chosen to stay in the Northeast. Hopefully we can grow Coaches salary enough to keep him happy at SFA AND Nac! Pine trees have a certain "je ne sais quoi" about them, don't you think?!?!?
Also the commitment with the new building has to keep him here for a while...I hope!
jflandis
Mid-Major Madness has Keller's salary as $375,000 annually with contract extending until last game of 22-23 season. He gets a $5,000 bonus for 20+ win season which he easily cleared this year.

As far as I could tell, this was by far the biggest contract in the Southland.
sfa17
jboy93 said:

Bottom line is Keller has to want to stay at SFA and build something. Just like Few in Gonzaga did. He is still only,

Yeah, every coach will say they want to stay at their current school and blah blah blah family environment.. but at the end of the day money talks.
nacluth
My guess, like Underwood, is Keller is looking for a P6 job. While American is definitely a near-high major, Keller will pull some top interest if he can repeat this year's success.
No-look
sfa17 said:

jboy93 said:

Bottom line is Keller has to want to stay at SFA and build something. Just like Few in Gonzaga did. He is still only,

Yeah, every coach will say they want to stay at their current school and blah blah blah family environment.. but at the end of the day money talks.
And you can't blame them for it. They put in years of service as being an assistant to get head coaching jobs as they climb the success ladder. I Hope Keller stays for a while But wouldn't surprise me if he leaves in the next two years.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Keller will pull some top interest if he can repeat this year's success.

And next year's team is going to be as good or better than this year's....

And BTW, has anyone else noticed that the guys who were screaming ad nauseam to hang Keller in effigy last year and who said he couldn't coach a Little Dribblers team are suddenly nowhere to be found?
Pilotgirl
I think he needs 2 successful years before the big boys come a-calling. Last year was a wash....he will need to show he can have some continuity, IMO.
sfa17
No-look said:

And you can't blame them for it. They put in years of service as being an assistant to get head coaching jobs as they climb the success ladder.
yeah i agree, cant blame any coach.. bc a school will cut you as easily as they will hire you. After seeing BU go to Ok State. I'm pretty sure Keller is looking for a P5 or BIG EAST job. We don't really have to worry about another mid major. I do think he needs 1 more good season unless we have a huge tourney run
nacluth
I've heard from plenty of pundits that there is actually relatively few positions going to be open at the end of this season in the top conferences. I think that helps us as well.

Another thing is the fairly large continuity of depth returning. Kensmil, Cam, and to a lesser extent Daniels, Kalcheries have shown success in the system. Solomon and I believe Hart too have only shown substantial upside with development. Brown and McDaniel could be x-factors too. I don't know if I'm ready to say next team has a higher potential because I don't know how you replace Kevon and Comeaux right now, but I'm optimistic about the future if we keep the same system.
sfajack05
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

Keller will pull some top interest if he can repeat this year's success.

And next year's team is going to be as good or better than this year's....

And BTW, has anyone else noticed that the guys who were screaming ad nauseam to hang Keller in effigy last year and who said he couldn't coach a Little Dribblers team are suddenly nowhere to be found?
I'm still here
sfajack05
SFAJack_76 said:

sfajack05 said:

I believe the answer is yes. However, beyond basketball, the current sad state of our facilities is such that any significant donation would be preferred to go to improving/building them.

Unless, you are offering to put up ~$3 million a year for the next five. Then, go ahead.
Once I hit that powerball my wife will have the car she wants and SFA will have the best facilities for all sports.
BigJack85
With 2 more regular season polls I still think we have a shot a being ranked if we win out. We are currently #28 Two or three teams ahead of us should take hits before the next poll. Wouldn't be surprised to see us at #26 next Monday if we win BOTH ACU and SHSU.
SFASawmillGuy
It's very realistic that SFA has a top 25 ranking either next week or the week after. They just have to keep their eyes on the prize and don't play down to their opponents.
sfajack05
Seems to me they are more focused these last few games.

Last four games the average margin of victory is 22 points.

Hope they can keep it up, take care of business, and secure a great seed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.