2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball

317,579 Views | 1447 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I totally forgot Shannon was gone.

Perhaps the easier game is "Who we got?"

Kevon. Sammi. Nate. Oddyst. John. Pope. Hart. Kach. Mitch. Rance.

Oof. Pretty thin.
Jacks4460
cboothe09 said:

We are currently losing seven players:
Graduation -
Shannon Bogues
Devonte Fitzgerald
Jovan Grujic

Transfer -
TJ Holyfield
Jock Hughes

Other -
Aaron Augustin (I'm not sold he is completely out of the picture in Nac)
Karl Nicholas

pick 2 of the 4 and you will have your 9. Sami,Comeaux,Cole,Mitch... It is virtually gonna be a full roster build..
PurpleOut
Staff
Walton was a walk-on.
PurpleOut
Staff
MasterAxe said:

Oof. Pretty thin.

Definitely thin. But, looking at it the other way, IF all of these guys return...Kevon, Comeaux, Bain, Mitch, and Nieminen is a decent starting 5 all things considering. Especially if Oddyst continues to grow, and then if Hart and Pope are what we hope...that's a decent contribution off the bench. However I don't consider Nieminen talented enough to start. Let's see who else we can grab this off-season.
nacluth
Rough go. We've got three and need four more now. Looks like Cole might get a scholarship spot (which I think is good for him). Need a good JUCO forward to come through to let Samuli be a 6th man.

PG: Comeaux/Kach.
#2: Walker/Cole
#3: Harris
#4: Bain
#5: Mitch/Sammy

Pope and Hart with playing time in the 3-5 spots. Need one more forward and two more guards.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

BigJack85 said:

people were giving me crap for saying we were gonna have 9 new players...

Not me. I knew it was going to happen. One of my favorite phrases: "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

BTW, I've lost all confidence in Sammie being anything more than a spot minutes-eater. He's another one that is more of a D-2 player than a D-1. No confidence and gun-shy with the ball offensively. If he transfers we'd be losing very little, IMO. (That's rough, I know, but it's how I feel.)
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks4460 said:

people were giving me crap for saying we were gonna have 9 new players...

Not me. I knew it was going to happen. One of my favorite phrases: "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

BTW, I've lost all confidence in Sammie being anything more than a spot minutes-eater. He's another one that is more of a D-2 player than a D-1. No confidence and gun-shy with the ball offensively. If he transfers we'd be losing very little, IMO. (That's rough, I know, but it's how I feel.)
I feel the same about Sammie as you do... Not really sure how it is all going down but i am just happy coach recognizes major changes have to happen for our team to be successful.. John has given it his all but it might be time for him to hang them up.. Constantly getting hurt I am sure has worn on him..
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

John has given it his all but it might be time for him to hang them up.. Constantly getting hurt I am sure has worn on him..

On that, I have to disagree with you. Getting injured so many times in his BB career and rehabbing and gutting it out after each of those injuries is exactly why he deserves to be given a final year at SFA if he desires it. We owe it to him.
SFA2020
SFA2020
Just an FYI Sammi has been injured just about his whole time at SFA. He's a lot better than most give him credit for. Heck he was even on the same team as Lauri Markkanen.
MasterAxe
SFA2020 said:

Just an FYI Sammi has been injured just about his whole time at SFA. He's a lot better than most give him credit for. Heck he was even on the same team as Lauri Markkanen.
I feel like we might have lost that recruiting battle.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

MasterAxe said:

Oof. Pretty thin.

Definitely thin. But, looking at it the other way, IF all of these guys return...Kevon, Comeaux, Bain, Mitch, and Nieminen is a decent starting 5 all things considering. Especially if Oddyst continues to grow, and then if Hart and Pope are what we hope...that's a decent contribution off the bench. However I don't consider Nieminen talented enough to start. Let's see who else we can grab this off-season.

If Mitch returns I think we could still make a run at being really good. Mitch has the athleticism to be a star. Combine him with a solid PG and Oddyst looks like a solid 2. We could have "4" of the starting "5" in shape. To me the issue will be players 7, 8, 9 and 10.

Goes to show one bad hire (you know who) can create a real $h!t storm.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA2020 said:

We're well aware of his foot injuries. That doesn't change the fact that he's not aggressive and has no confidence in his shooting.
MasterAxe
Initially, we are going to struggle mightily on offense.

Kevon may average 20...but on the roster right now, I don't know where another 45-50 points comes from.

Our returners don't seem to be the type to average that, so we are going to be so dependent on the new guys to score. Maybe we find a Bogues-esque JUCO guy who can be a 10-15 per game guy and then hope someone else develops.

We saw last year that even the two best scorers in the league are not enough if you have nothing behind them.
BigJack85
Keller coaching for his job.
No-look
Next year is to early to tell. Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I think we could be good. Pope or Hart could be a freshman of the year. Not to put too much pressure on a freshman but those guys have potential. Kachelries could be a very good guard. Hopefully the other spots will pay dividends.
sfa17
No-look said:

Next year is to early to tell. Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I think we could be good. Pope or Hart could be a freshman of the year.
that is similar to what most of us thought about Jock and Mitchell.
PurpleOut
Staff
Curious to see if we go after any grad transfers. Dazon Ingram from Bama is an interesting one that I saw today.
BigJack85
Ya. A grad transfer would be nice. Let's get someone that is not as vulnerable to the outside influence of that gripe peddler on Twitter.
No-look
sfa17 said:

No-look said:

ENext year is to early to tell. Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I think we could be good. Pope or Hart could be a freshman of the year.
that is similar to what most of us thought about Jock and Mitchell.
True... Hart had several major offers and Pope was the 2td rated in Louisiana at one time. Not sure where he is ranked now but should be in top ten? Juco Recruiting will determine a lot this year. Not any room for error. But I would like to see Solomon commit. Juco guys will have to be able to create.
RedRiverLa
Just not that worried right now. We knew major changes were coming and this is the period when the loses happen and we have no idea what the gains will be. Who we will be next year is so unrecognizable now. Speculation is fun to an extent, but when it all shakes out, I'll worry if need be, but not right now.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFA Jack Fanatic
RedRiverLa said:

Just not that worried right now. We knew major changes were coming and this is the period when the loses happen and we have no idea what the gains will be. Who we will be next year is so unrecognizable now. Speculation is fun to an extent, but when it all shakes out, I'll worry if need be, but not right now.

That's exactly where I am right now, too. In the meantime, there's a lot of excitement building up around the upcoming football season to see what all of those new recruits can do in their first year.
RedRiverLa
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

RedRiverLa said:

That's exactly where I am right now, too. In the meantime, there's a lot of excitement building up around the upcoming football season to see what all of those new recruits can do in their first year.
I agree. I said at the end of last year that if I ever go on this board again and, for the 4th time in a row, say I felt really good about this year's football season, just hit me in the head with a shovel - well, might as well just go ahead and get that shovel, because...I feel really good about this year's football season.
Lumberjack Battalion
nacluth
Some people never learn.

No-look
nacluth said:

Some people never learn.

Lol! Now that's funny!!!
TallTexan
PurpleOut
Staff
Moses Greenwood is the 2nd.
cboothe09
Add Veal, Lane, and you have a pretty stout team...
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

Some people never learn.

Why anyone would want to hurt Wilford Brimley
Lumberjack Battalion
sfa17

Jock going to Praire View
cboothe09
Have been pretty confident that was going to be his landing spot. Happy for him. Gets to go to a school he has a lot of ties to and wants to be at.
sfa17
yeah, close to home and friends
Rev007
If Jock doesn't work on his game, he won't get playing time there either. I have no sympathy for quitters. Just look at Rance Cole. If there was ever a player that had a reason to quit, it would be him, but Rance has too much pride and was raised right. I'll always respect him.
Jacks4460
Rev007 said:

If Jock doesn't work on his game, he won't get playing time there either. I have no sympathy for quitters. Just look at Rance Cole. If there was ever a player that had a reason to quit, it would be him, but Rance has too much pride and was raised right. I'll always respect him.
Rance quit dude
Jacks4460
Kevon,Mitch,Bain,O,John C. these are the 5 guys on team rest will be new players.. We have 2 HS kids coming in and 2 JUCO so far..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.