2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball

318,590 Views | 1447 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
Jacks4460
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

How can we listen to this? Should be interesting.
Apple podcast..
CertifiedAxeman98
Marching to Madness is a pretty good college basketball podcast. Keller has been on this before last year. They interview college basketball coaches and assistants. I think the CBS Sports Eye on College Basketball podcast is probably the best but I listen to this one as well. I will take a listen to Keller on my way home from work today.

Really wish we had purple lights podcast back.
sfa17
I am a big fan of CBS Eye on College basketball and One Shining Podcast (the hosts are hilarious)
SFA Jack Fanatic
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Looks like that one is in our rearview mirror, too.

BTW, is there an alternative to the Apple podcast for us non-Apple people. (Pardon my technological ignorance.)
RichieVan
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/marching-to-madness/id1082877988

Should take you to the Apple Podcast page.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Looks like that one is in our rearview mirror, too.

BTW, is there an alternative to the Apple podcast for us non-Apple people. (Pardon my technological ignorance.)
Yes, there both Google Podcast & the Podcast Addict Apps have Marching to Madness.

Looks like Google Podcasts has the cleaner interface, fwiw.
CertifiedAxeman98
I assume you have an Android smart phone. In the google play store you should be able to search for podcast players. Google had one called Google Podcast I think. If you are on a computer you should be able to use the link RichieVan sent you.
nacluth
Not tons of info, but nice to hear about basketball.
SFA Jack Fanatic
RichieVan said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/marching-to-madness/id1082877988

Should take you to the Apple Podcast page.

It worked! Thanks, RichieVan!
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Not tons of info, but nice to hear about basketball.
A couple of things that stood out to me...

1) He wanted the team to "stay old" during recruiting (i.e., concentrate on signing more experienced JUCO guys.

2) SFA signed all eight guys who visited. That in itself is pretty amazing. "We either picked the wrong guys or it was a Godsend."

3) He asked each of the recruits if they would be OK with being substituted. He wanted to know whether they were going to be showboats or team players. I like it!

While I can't wait for football season to start in order to begin the Carthel era, I really, really can't wait for basketball season -- both men and women. This podcast got my BB juices flowing again.

(Thanks for getting me connected to the podcast, guys!)
PurpleOut
Staff
Here is the tweet and link as well:

SFAJack_76
My takeaways were very similar. Interesting that they brought eight guys in, and signed those eight. It was disappointing to hear Keller say that SFA would never get the high quality grad transfer. I don't like our MBB head coach putting a cap on what the program can do. The odds are certainly against us, but under the right circumstances it can happen.

He mentioned that ground had been broken on the new facility. Perhaps semantics, but not exactly. Centerpoint and Oncor are moving utilities. Construction can't begin until utilities are relocated. That is still expected to be in June. Perhaps mid to late month.
Rev007
Regarding the podcast with Coach Keller, I really enjoyed it. It was reassuring to hear that on ball defense is a priority. I want to thank John Comeaux for coming back after micro fracture surgery. I'm not sure if he will be on the roster this year, but I hope so. He can provide much needed leadership.

Concerning the signing of each recruit that visited campus, the signings may have been partially due to desperation, but I'm hoping the majority of them turn out well.

I look forward to seeing a defense that creates havoc, been missing far too long.

Rev007
Weigh in Purplitis...been missing your contributions.
SFAJack_76
Rev007 said:

I look forward to seeing a defense that creates havoc, been missing far too long.

Curious what "too long" is to you since SFA led the country in steals in the 2017-2018 season.
Rev007
I considered last season to be the longest and most frustrating in history. Definitely, I prefer the prior year. That's how we became feared.
No-look
Rev007 said:

Weigh in Purplitis...been missing your contributions.
You feeling ok rev? Lol.
Rev007
Thanks for reminding me to take my lithium...haha.

Seriously, I do enjoy his alternative view on most issues. It keeps us from following the herd.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007 said:

Thanks for reminding me to take my lithium...haha.

Seriously, I do enjoy his alternative view on most issues. It keeps us from following the herd.

I believe he has been forced to exit stage right... permanently.
Pilotgirl
I think there are plenty of peeps who think differently & offer different opinions, etc. He was just going at it the wrong / trolling way.
CertifiedAxeman98
Keller says there is a trend in having older players. The trend is to have some 3-4 year players playing with your highly recruited freshman. I don't think this trend means that JUCO is your new farm club. I personally believe that a team needs old and young players and if you are developing the younger players you would not need to go out and get 6 JUCOs. I think it is wise to go get some JUCOs each year to supplement those that might leave your program. But I think you are better off taking guys that have been in your system (provided you can develop the players you bring in) for a few years than a guy that comes from JUCO most of the time. There are exceptions to the rule (Bogues) and you want to bring in some of those guys as they can really improve your team. We may have some of those guys like Ware and others that were really highly ranked JUCOs.

Some coaches really know how to manage egos, problems and a variety of kids with a variety of issues. They know how to manage younger recruits that may have troubled pasts. They get help and surround the kids with good influences as much as they can. Jerry Jones had a guy that his sole job was to keep Dezs Bryant out of trouble off the field. Not sure what happened last year but with all the transfers and guys leaving the team last year but it can't be 100% the kids' fault. We all need to remember these are still kids and they are not always mature. I have a pretty good head on my shoulders and I did some dumb things as a kid. It is hard work and effort to work with kids. I have 2 boys and have coached elementary school to junior high kids in rec leagues in several sports and it is not easy. You have to establish things early on and often reinforce things. Some kids come from good homes some do not.

Sometimes it is hard to break in a Stallion with lots of raw talent but sometimes the payoff is worth the effort.
No-look
I think the pressure is on the staff and program to win this year. Juco was probably the way to go considering the current situation.
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

I think the pressure is on the staff and program to win this year. Juco was probably the way to go considering the current situation.
Agree. It feels very much like a win now approach.
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks
And we can't wait for him (and the rest) to get started ....
Rev007
Has anyone heard any news or even rumors if the Men's Basketball team will be playing in any pre-season or early season tournaments? I really enjoyed the trip to Ireland last year and recommend following the team this year if they attend a similar tournament.
PurpleOut
Staff
I heard the Belfast Classic was a possibility again. Don't take much from that statement, as I have no idea how accurate it is. But I think it was definitely considered a successfully organized trip. I'd definitely recommend going as well, one of the coolest experiences of my lifetime.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

I heard the Belfast Classic was a possibility again. Don't take much from that statement, as I have no idea how accurate it is. But I think it was definitely considered a successfully organized trip. I'd definitely recommend going as well, one of the coolest experiences of my lifetime.
Well, it's not like there are very many guys on the team that played there last year.
SFAJack_76
I agree with Keller on the rules changes. Quit tinkering with what already is a good game.
TallTexan
Ugh. I hate the look of double 3 point lines on the court.
nacluth
Agreed. Rule changes like this are always made to benefit big schools. Smaller schools use the system to get an edge, but these rule changes are to keep the house advantage. I could go off all day on this.
No-look
The bright side is maybe teams won't drain as many threes on us like last year. Lol
SFA Jack Fanatic
The article says moving the line back could help with spacing on offense. Spacing was terrible for the Jacks last year.

My two cents... It should help us on offense (especially giving Kevon more room to do his thing), but will it hurt us on defense? Not if our perimeter defense is better than last year, which it definitely should be.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Ugh. I hate the look of double 3 point lines on the court.
So, this only applies to men's basketball, correct?
SFAJack_76

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.