2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball

317,592 Views | 1447 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
No-look said:

Where?
Jackson, Mississippi. Meeting in the middle I guess.
TallTexan
Kenpom is out. SFA at 300. Freaking 300.
wahlwesle
What was the result of the scrimmage?
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

It's expected. Last season we were just disappointing. We were straight garbage. Our recent history means nothing to anyone at this point. We just have to climb back up to where we once were.
SFAJack_76
With so many new players, nobody really knows what we have. Preseason rankings are largely meaningless.

Any word from the secret, not so secret, scrimmage?
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Pomeroy doesn't know what he doesn't know.
sfa17
Yeah, can't really be mad about 300 after last year and all these new players. Hopefully the player can use it as Motivation
SFAJack_76
It will be fun to watch us go up the rankings through the season.
No-look
wahlwesle said:

What was the result of the scrimmage?
That's a good question. All I ask is that we were competitive and no injuries.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Other SLC.... (Laughable!)

Prison Tech 160
UCA 259
UNO 265
Lamar 281
HBU 282
AMCC 284
Nicholls 294
ACU 297
SELA 319
McNeese 322
UIW 346
NSU 347

Others of interest...

Duke 4
Rutgers 63
Alabama 70
ULM 222
Arkansas State 270
Drexel 237
Niagra 327

SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Word is that the Jacks didn't play well (with 9 new guys) but still won by 7. Lots of things that need to be corrected.

For what it's worth (not much), Troy is rated 277 on Kenpom. Rice scrimmage on Saturday.
nacluth
Rutgers is the joke of that rating. They have been trash for years. Why rank them high?
No-look
Looks like we just jumped 23 points in the KP.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Word is that the Jacks didn't play well (with 9 new guys) but still won by 7. Lots of things that need to be corrected.

For what it's worth (not much), Troy is rated 277 on Kenpom. Rice scrimmage on Saturday.
Troy is where former UTA head coach, and TCU assistant, Scott Cross landed this year. They are picked to be about middle of the Sun Belt conference. Relying on some high level Juco transfers. Probably was solid competition.
TallTexan
Beating Duke is really gonna help our ranking.
nacluth
TallTexan said:

Just what I thought.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Only temporarily. We'll drop back down to about 25 on strength of schedule (or lack thereof) once conference play begins.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I can add that there were no injuries in the super secret scrimmage with Troy.

Unrelated to the scrimmage, Bain has not been practicing due to a knee issue. He returned to light work today. Think he will be okay.
Ljacks&Longnecks
No injuries is the best news from the scrimmage....
SFAJack_76
We attended the annual meet the Jacks and Ladyjacks Rotary Club sponsored catfish dinner last night. Record crowd of 444 people. $15 per person. Dr. Gordon was there taking tickets. The funds go toward paying for summer school for the student athletes. Summer classes are not covered by the scholarship.

Last year, there were knee braces, arm slings, boots, and crutches. None of that this year for either team. Bain seemed to be moving fine. (He has a full beard. Doesn't matter, just an observation.) Relative to Bain, Keller thanked those that contributed to the fund for his family in the Bahamas, and asked for those that have not contributed to consider helping.

All fifteen Jacks were there. Thirteen scholarship kids and two walk-ons. Comeaux carries himself like a senior leader. We sat near Hart and Ware. Both were reserved and polite. Ware said he chose SFA because it felt like home. Small town. He likes to get out, fish, etc. Mason was not there. Keller said he is doing well, but needs to get rest when he can. There were wallet size schedules on the tables. Both studied them like they had not seen or payed attention to the schedule. "Oh, our first four games are at home, then Rutgers."

Ten of the thirteen Ladyjacks were there. Bri and Riley each had a class. One of the freshmen was out due to a death in the family. We sat near Mariia Semenichenko and Aaliyah Johnson. Both are well spoken, polite, bright young women. Mariia is every bit of the posted 6'4". Imani Johnson is teaching in Nacogdoches, so all three Johnson sisters are still around. Their parents moved to Houston a year or so ago, to be nearer their girls. They have a super secret scrimmage at La Tech this Saturday. Kellogg commented that they have good players working on playing together.
wahlwesle
SFAJack_76 said:

All fifteen Jacks were there. Thirteen scholarship kids and two walk-ons.
The current roster shows sixteen players. I think thirteen scholarship and three walk-ons. I'm not sure what the rules are. I recall you can have as many walk-ons as you want, but you can only suit up fifteen players at a time. I'm not sure about this though.

Scholarship Players
Sama'zha Hart
Kevon Harris
Roti Ware
Cameron Johnson
David Kachelries
John Comeaux
Oddyst Walker
Charlie Daniels
Calvin Solomon
Gavin Kensmil
Kharee McDaniel
Nathan Bain
Demiere Brown

Walk-ons
Landon Badgley
Tyler Zivney
Gabe Matturro
SFAJack_76
Correct. I think one of the scholarship guys was not there. Don't recall who. Maybe Solomon.
PurpleOut
Staff
Thanks for the notes 76. Love having some of you guys close to Nac to provide some insight for us elsewhere.
PurpleOut
Staff
No stream (as of now) for 'Jack Madness. Sorry but that sucks.

SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

No stream (as of now) for 'Jack Madness. Sorry but that sucks.

We went last year and it didn't do much for us. Hopefully it will be better this year. We will be at the Lufkin vs West Magnolia game.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah to each his own, I enjoyed it last year but it definitely needs continual work. Too much quite/dead time the past few years. I'm just ready to see some hoops, which was hoping was going to be this Friday.

I don't know why we aren't getting some sort of local/Texas based artist to perform at the event. If they are going to continue to have 'Jack Madness, and I think they should, they need to try to grow it.
RichieVan
Just a note on the early season schedule: Niagara and Drexel will both play Rutgers, then play SFA, then SFA travels to Rutgers. We should have a very good idea how we stack up against the Scarlet Knights. Rutgers lost their leading scorer who also happened to be their best rebounder. They also lost a key bench piece. I think, based on what I've seen so far on the Spain trip and the Troy scrimmage, we have a good chance of stealing a road win against a Big Ten opponent.
SFAJack_76
RichieVan said:

Just a note on the early season schedule: Niagara and Drexel will both play Rutgers, then play SFA, then SFA travels to Rutgers. We should have a very good idea how we stack up against the Scarlet Knights. Rutgers lost their leading scorer who also happened to be their best rebounder. They also lost a key bench piece. I think, based on what I've seen so far on the Spain trip and the Troy scrimmage, we have a good chance of stealing a road win against a Big Ten opponent.
You saw the Troy scrimmage?
SFAJack_76
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

. In the spirit of Navin Johnson: The phone books are here! The phone books are here!
TallTexan
We might drive over for Jack Madness if the Paul Cauthen concert in Tyler gets rained out.
PurpleOut
Staff
Patrick Beilein just stepped down at Niagara. Doesn't appear to be know why yet.

CertifiedAxeman98
Niagara is losing their coach. 11/13 should make for an interesting Game.

CertifiedAxeman98
His statement just said he was leaving for personal reasons.
RichieVan
No, I didn't, but saw a post that said we struggled some and still won by 7

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.