2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball

317,251 Views | 1447 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
RedRiverLa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jboy93 said:

"I think there's no doubt if we had stayed at SFA, or had he stayed, that he would have been playing there," Brad said. "He would help teams at that level. He has a high IQ, but he's also been a tremendous protector of his younger sisters.

Something I saw that Brad said about his son. Guess he doesn't think SFA is at a very high level since Tyler got no playing time at OK St. or Illinois...hmmm! I don't think I like the sound of that!!!

Just a little food for thought.

I hear you, but I don't take it as a slight, he's just a dad propping up his son, I hear that more than I hear an intended slap at SFA. He's only saying he would have helped and played. He might have, because our weak opponents may have allowed him playing time to rest our top guys. Who knows?
sfa17
Rev007
I sure am disappointed that Coronavirus stopped the opportunity for our seniors to be rewarded with a post season, but I believe the cancellations of conference tournaments was appropriate considering how unprepared we are to control the virus.

Alternatively, why not postpone the tournaments for 6 weeks and then see where we are at that point in time? Well, it's all because big business can't reschedule nimbly enough to adapt.

Assuming the virus is under control in 6 weeks, why not adopt a tournament similar to the NIT format whereby early round games are played on campuses?

John, Kevon, and Nathan put in 4-5 years of blood, sweat, and tears and deserve open-minded, yet simple solutions even if big business doesn't have the opportunity to profit as much as had been planned.
nacluth
Right now SFA is closed until April 6th at minimum. Many schools are shut down longer for students. Unfortunately that means no practice/gym/nutrition for many student athletes wherever they are.

Even if we just had a nationwide three week break against the country, it just sets back the whole process. We just wouldn't have the same teams - mentally and physically. The reality is that health restrictions as they have been put in place are going to last much more than three weeks. I want a postponement so bad, but there's not going to be a way to gear back up in time.

I would love to be wrong. I'm trying to hit the lottery to build a summer tournament. Fingers crossed.
RichieVan
I was watching an interview with Gonzaga Head Coach Mark Few who said he had been talking with other Coaches and they all agreed to postpone and make the decision to either play or cancel later. Wish the NCAA would reconsider.
As to Nacluth's point about being away and not being the same teams, I see the point. But any competitor can get ready for the big stage. Your desire to compete takes over, especially when you want to prove your season was no fluke.
nacluth
No Selection Sunday bracket. I thought they might for money purposes because so many coaches have incentives built into their contracts if selected. Oh well.

Underwood still hasn't qualified for postseason play in Illinois. On the other hand Keller has gone to the NCAA's once and at least locked up a NIT bid this year. Let's keep it going.
SFA FTW
Went on Wikipedia to reminisce some on SFA's past successes and noticed a few little updates to the main SFA MBB page. We had one heck of a 2020!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_F._Austin_Lumberjacks_basketball
SFASawmillGuy
This little edit has lasted much longer than I expected.
PurpleOut
Staff
Pilotgirl
I don't really know how I feel about applying purchase to other things, that aren't even certain yet. May not be the right time to ask for donations, IMO.

SFAJack_76
Certainly an individual decision. I agree with the options they have come up with. I strongly believe we will have sports again, most likely starting with our fall sports.

Angelina Arts is similar. We have series tickets both to the shows at AC, and at the Pines Theater. Between them, we have three shows cancelled. We can get a refund or donate the money.

In my opinion, there is never a bad time for these organizations to solicit donations. Without them, there are undesirable consequences. Providing a means that is pretty low key is fine, even under current circumstances.
Pilotgirl
True...but should be up to I individual like you said. Getting a refund is their last option. They are pulling out the stops to keep the $. And I know it would go to a good plus, but there are pressing needs in Houston...like the food bank...to ensure the kids of our community are fed while school is out. Just don't like how they presented it is all, but that's just me and my opinion. Lol And I certainly hope they don't make it difficult, which is my major concern.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Also they were "proud" to announce that they will be ticketing soccer and volleyball this coming season.
Yes I know SFA athletics need $$ but "proud" to announce they are going to start charging for these other sporting events has a very sour ring to it.
nacluth
Well I'm glad they are offering refunds. I've had about $750 of travel expenses half of which have been credited for the future and half of which are just lost. I'm glad SFA has given me the choice. Now I have to decide if I want those season tickets now...
BigJack85
I don't have an issue with them "ticketing" for soccer and volleyball. They are starved for funds. They have to find additional revenue channels. It's a tough road.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

I don't really know how I feel about applying purchase to other things, that aren't even certain yet. May not be the right time to ask for donations, IMO.

Should have made it 3 options, IMO.

1. Credit for future tickets
2. Donate refund to SFA food pantry/Nac food pantry
3. Direct refund.

I think number 2 would have had lots of takers.
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Also they were "proud" to announce that they will be ticketing soccer and volleyball this coming season.
Yes I know SFA athletics need $$ but "proud" to announce they are going to start charging for these other sporting events has a very sour ring to it.
Agree with ticketing for soccer and volleyball. FYI, donors to volleyball at some level.have had the chair back seats for several years. It is good the ticket office has taken over that task.

Also agree the wording was unfortunate. I cringed a little when I read it, but moving on to the bigger message.
PurpleOut
Staff
Can't expect everything to grow if everything remains the same from the past.
PurpleOut
Staff
Happy Thomas Walkup Day everyone!
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

Should have made it 3 options, IMO.

1. Credit for future tickets
2. Donate refund to SFA food pantry/Nac food pantry
3. Direct refund.

I think number 2 would have had lots of takers.

I agree. And probably would've donated my purchase to that.
RichieVan
Coach Keller not even mentioned as a Naismith Coach of the Year candidate.

Scott Drew, Baylor (20-14 last year, 26-4 this year, +16 improvement).
Anthony Grant, Dayton (21-12 last year, 29-2 this year +18 improvement)
Leonard Hamilton, Florida State (29-8 last year, 26-5 this year, even)
Brian Dutcher, San Diego State (21-13 last year, 30-2 this year +20 improvement)

Kyle Keller, 14-16 last year, 28-3 this year, +27 improvement. Not even a mention.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/baylors-drew-daytons-grant-among-4-naismith-coach-of-the-year-finalists/ar-BB11mWRp?ocid=spartandhp
djsfw57
Hard not to feel slighted. I resent the fact that they don't give SFA any credit at all. Sometimes I feel like we could go undefeated and still not be ranked and not get any recognition.
Ballwatch
https://www.ktre.com/2020/03/18/full-interview-years-later-underwood-reflects-sfa-cinderella-run/
SFASawmillGuy
Apparently the r/collegebasketball subreddit went ahead and set their field of teams for the tournament and will be simulating it using the last NCAA College Basketball Video game using up to date rosters and coaches. The first few games have already been played but the 12 seed SFA takes on the 5 seed BYU in 12 hours on their YouTube channel.
CertifiedAxeman98
Ballwatch said:

https://www.ktre.com/2020/03/18/full-interview-years-later-underwood-reflects-sfa-cinderella-run/
I hope that Keller read this. We need to reduce turnovers mostly by improving our passing skills.
PurpleOut
Staff
One Shining Moment

PurpleOut
Staff
I wish we would have used the Luther Vandross version instead of the Teddy Pendergrass version, like everyone else.
Pilotgirl
SFA_03 said:

Apparently the r/collegebasketball subreddit went ahead and set their field of teams for the tournament and will be simulating it using the last NCAA College Basketball Video game using up to date rosters and coaches. The first few games have already been played but the 12 seed SFA takes on the 5 seed BYU in 12 hours on their YouTube channel.

Lol
SFASawmillGuy
SFA took the lead late but BYU was able to hit a dagger of a 3 with less than a minute to go to secure its win. That simulation was just as heartbreaking as it would've been if it were real.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

SFA took the lead late but BYU was able to hit a dagger of a 3 with less than a minute to go to secure its win. That simulation was just as heartbreaking as it would've been if it were real.

I was way too emotionally invested in that. Had the audio going in my earpiece at work.

But we were sabotaged. Of all the old players you could give us, you give us Gru?
SFASawmillGuy
Hey he was the heart and soul of every team he was on. But yes we could've left him in Nacogdoches on that one.
No-look
Must have been Southland refs.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

Hey he was the heart and soul of every team he was on. But yes we could've left him in Nacogdoches on that one.

Gru is great and was definitely a fan favorite. Didn't realize he had a game of eligibility left though.
wahlwesle
So much for "up to date rosters and coaches." I noticed we had Neiminen too. I didn't watch enough of it to see who else they gave us.
SFASawmillGuy
Yeah apparently BYU even had a grad assistant on their roster. I understand the feat would've been hard to get every team exactly perfect, but still, would've liked it to be.
The ending really felt like a March madness game though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.