2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball

317,907 Views | 1447 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jacks4460 said:

Kevon,Mitch,Bain,O,John C. these are the 5 guys on team rest will be new players.. We have 2 HS kids coming in and 2 JUCO so far..

Samuli?
Rev007
Hate to hear that about Rance. Was he forced out or just had enough? What about Samuli?
Jacks4460
Not sure I didn't ask why.. I assume Sami just hurting and Rance tired of not playing time but no clue.. Call me crazy but I feel Karl and AA aren't outta the picture..We will see..
No-look
Jacks4460 said:

Not sure I didn't ask why.. I assume Sami just hurting and Rance tired of not playing time but no clue.. Call me crazy but I feel Karl and AA aren't outta the picture..We will see..
Karl and AA hurt the team this year. Maybe time to move on. Just want to forget all the negativity from this year.
Jacks4460
No-look said:

Jacks4460 said:

Karl and AA hurt the team this year. Maybe time to move on. Just want to forget all the negativity from this year.

I am with you about moving on and getting rid of negativity..
SFAJack_76
Rev007 said:

Hate to hear that about Rance. Was he forced out or just had enough? What about Samuli?
Rance was a walk on that started college at East Texas Baptist where he did not play basketball. He transferred to SFA prior to the 2017-18 season. He did not play that season. I don't think he even suited up. I believe he was injured, but am not positive of that. Good kid. Appreciate his one shining moment against UIW, but he is not a D1 player. If he is done playing, probably he decided it was time to move on in his life.

Samuli had more physical issues than just feet/ankles. If he is done playing, he probably decided the pain was worse than the reward. Most of us have been disappointed in his performance. I think his body let him down. I trust he will get his diploma, and be successful in whatever he chooses to do.
TallTexan
I feel for Samuli. His body held him back, but he's got to live with those aches for the next 50-60 years.

If he does hang it up, he'll get no ill will from me, because he persevered through some painful injuries just to try to stay on the court.
Jacks4460
Sami could help coach.. very high basketball IQ..
wahlwesle
Jacks4460 said:

Kevon,Mitch,Bain,O,John C. these are the 5 guys on team rest will be new players.. We have 2 HS kids coming in and 2 JUCO so far..

Maybe I missed it or just forgot, but who is the other JUCO besides Cameron Johnson?

Edit: Nevermind. I forgot about David Kachelries.
BigJack85
It's looks like we'll have a real solid guard combination if Oddyst develops. It will be the first time in a couple years that weve has a plethyof talent at PG (with one or two that can play SG).
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
No-look
wahlwesle said:

Jacks4460 said:

RimKevon,Mitch,Bain,O,John C. these are the 5 guys on team rest will be new players.. We have 2 HS kids coming in and 2 JUCO so far..

Maybe I missed it or just forgot, but who is the other JUCO besides Cameron Johnson?

Edit: Nevermind. I forgot about David Kachelries.
I'm excited about Kachelries. He will make everyone else better.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah if it ends up being true about Sammy then I don't blame him at all, definitely more to life than basketball. I met his family and talked to his brother for a few minutes in Belfast, great people.

I too have high hopes for Oddyst. I hope he's buying in and working hard this summer. The difference and the offseason from year one to year two for a player can be night and day. Their body is still growing and getting time in with a real trainer/weight coach can be huge.
MasterAxe
We are really all in on the "addition by subtraction" mantra.

SFA Jack Fanatic
We can use Wichita State as an example of what can happen next year. They lost 89% of their scoring from the previous season, brought in 10 new players, have won 22 games this season, and are playing in the NIT Semi-finals at Madison Square Garden tonight.

It can be done, guys. And I believe it WILL be done.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

We can use Wichita State as an example of what can happen next year. They lost 89% of their scoring from the previous season, brought in 10 new players, have won 22 games this season, and are playing in the NIT Semi-finals at Madison Square Garden tonight.

It can be done, guys. And I believe it WILL be done.
. I will be surprised if we don't have a very good year next season. Coaches addressing the issues.
CertifiedAxeman98
No-look said:

I will be surprised if we don't have a very good year next season. Coaches addressing the issues.
I agree that the recruiting is filling some holes in the team and getting guys with experience from JUCO will help some.
No-look
True.
wahlwesle
I don't think this question deserves its own thread, so I'll just post it here. Is there any indication of what the non-conference schedule will look like next season? I thought our non-conference schedule was pretty strong this season. Having Louisiana Tech and Alabama at home created good buzz for the program, and we competed fairly well against both teams. Not to mention the win at Baylor.

What are the odds we could ever get TAMU to come to Nacogdoches? They weren't that great last year. With Buzz as their new head coach, it could easily be marketed as former A&M assistants against each other. I work with Buzz's brother and told him to mention it, but I'm sure it's a long shot. I would also worry a little that there may would be more maroon than purple in the stands.
TallTexan
I'd love to play A&M at home. Or Texas.

They're not exactly world beaters, and it'd be fun to see some of the big boys show up for something other than recruiting East Texas football players.

Houston would also be a fun in state game.
sfa17
I dont think a newly hired coach is going to take the risk of playing SFA in nac in the 1st or 2nd season.
wahlwesle
sfa17 said:

I dont think a newly hired coach is going to take the risk of playing SFA in nac in the 1st or 2nd season.
True, but I also believe that playing them now is our best chance of winning. Based on what he accomplished at VT, once Buzz gets going A&M may be a tough team to beat.
sfa17
yeah i agree, similar to when we beat will wade at LSU in his first year, It would have to be a road game, I would love to play Texas, SMU, or Houston on the road.
SFAJack_76
wahlwesle said:

sfa17 said:

True, but I also believe that playing them now is our best chance of winning. Based on what he accomplished at VT, once Buzz gets going A&M may be a tough team to beat.
This is A&M we are talking about. When have they ever been good, or cared about basketball?
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

wahlwesle said:

sfa17 said:

This is A&M we are talking about. When have they ever been good, or cared about basketball?

Don't know that they've ever cared. Buzz can make them a perennial Sweet 16 team and the arena will still be empty.
cboothe09
Kennedy did take A&M to a pair of Sweet 16's and picked up a SEC Championship too. I think it was time for Kennedy to go, but he picked up that program some more after Turgeron left.
LUMBERJACK2005
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

No-look said:

I will be surprised if we don't have a very good year next season. Coaches addressing the issues.
I agree that the recruiting is filling some holes in the team and getting guys with experience from JUCO will help some but I still think there needs to be improvement in coaching.

Sometimes you are dealt a bad hand (last year injuries) but you have to figure out what to do with the guys you have. I really want to see the coaches get the team some sets/plays that put their guys in the best position from time to time. You knew you were missing your guards that the year before generated turnovers/steals and assists and points off turnovers so without those points you had to come up with something to replace those lost points points. ISO ball for Bogues/Harris was a lot of what I saw last year when you really needed some points. They need something that would get some points when you really need them. Putting the ball in 2 guys hands and going iso ball will only get you so much. Lets get a weave going or some kind of motion offense, some pick and rolls, driving and kicking out to guys coming off a screen for 3. The types of offensive schemes that other teams were doing to us to get open 3s and backdoor cuts. Do things to make it easier on the players that you have. And on D they must improve. Leaving guys wide open for 3 or allowing them to backdoor cut all day doesn't lead to success nor is it Chaos or Disruption.

TOTALLY AGREE
LUMBERJACK2005
UH on the schedule may be more likely than not, Kellen Sampson was named head coach in waiting with his dad's new contract. He was on the SFA staff in 2010-2011, team led by an SFA all-time great Jereal Scott.
PurpleOut
Staff
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

UH on the schedule may be more likely than not, Kellen Sampson was named head coach in waiting with his dad's new contract. He was on the SFA staff in 2010-2011, team led by an SFA all-time great Jereal Scott.
Met and talked to Kelvin outside the Coliseum one game that year. Was pretty nice.

Would love a home and home with UH.
Jacks4460
Southland beating Ohio Valley pretty good right now in the 3x3.. He took a bad fall trying to slam the ball but bounced right back up... Southland won 22-12...

Pretty neat game that 3x3...
Jacks4460
Don't know who is still awake but if you are go vote for Shannon on Twitter

No-look
I'm assuming we will play Alabama on the road although their head coach is gone?
TallTexan
No-look said:

I'm assuming we will play Alabama on the road although their head coach is gone?

I'd hope so. I'd guess there's an opt out in there, but would love to play them.
purplitis72
When does the southland 3 on 3 team play again?
SFA Jack Fanatic
purplitis72 said:

When does the southland 3 on 3 team play again?

The tournament is over.
purplitis72
How did the Southland do?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.