2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball

318,740 Views | 1447 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

We now know our team (unless there is more change we don't know about) and my predictions:

PG: Comeaux, Kachelries, McDaniel
A battle between Comeaux & Kachelries for the starting role with the other coming off the bench and McDaniel used some as well. McDaniel is your future so he should be learning and get some play time. He is your 20/21 backup or starting PG.

SG: Ware, Johnson, Walker
No idea who gets the start. 2 highly regarded JUCO vs a 2nd year that played some decent minutes last year as a freshman but some of that was out of need.

3/4 spot: Harris, Bain, Solomon, Brown
Harris starting at the 3 with Solomon backing him up. I would think that with Bain starting last year gives him the start at the 4 with maybe Brown backing him up. I pictured Bain as your off the bench small team 4 spot guy but that was not to be last year.

4/5 spot: Hart, Daniels, Kemsmil.
I want to see Hart get some real min. on the court either at the 3, 4 or 5 spots. I would like to see his time on the court increase with the season. If he is as good as hoped I would like him to be a starter at some point next year. Daniels may be the 5 spot guy. With Kemsmil being your off the bench bruiser.

With all the turnover there is a lot of competition all the spots except the 3 (assuming a Harris return).

Excellent prognostication, Axeman. Hard for me to disagree with just about anything you said.
Jacks4460
purplitis72 said:

I'm thinking about walking on myself. Just to see what's really going on inside the program.
Purplitis72 with as much $$$ as you give the University and specifically the Basketball team you should be able to ask some of your connections within the team or ath department for some insight into the team...
purplitis72
That's a no no on this site.
Jacks4460
purplitis72 said:

That's a no no on this site.
never said you had to put the info on this site...keep it to yourself.. I know if I gave a bunch of money to the University, then I would think I would be allowed to ask some questions..
purplitis72
I'm not Buddy Lowry and according to Buddy, they don't even give him that kind of information. Are you merely being sarcastic and trying to stir up a rift? Because, if you are, I want no part of it. It's time to bury the hatchet. We all have opinions but we are all Lumberjacks and we all crave success in our programs.
Jacks4460
Not trying to stir up anything just being serious.. don't even know who Buddy Lowery is..
SFAJack_76
Buddy Lowery, because every Lumberjack should know about Buddy:

http://www.thehistorycenteronline.com/oral-history/entry/lowery-elvin-buddy
No-look
I played Independent Ball (that's what we called it then) with Buddy until we got to old to run the floor. Lol. If there was a player we needed to shut down, Buddy would guard him. Guy could play some defense.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Amazing! I just learned something by reading The Sawmill. He played for the "New York Tuck Tapers". (I had to Google it.) Never knew such a team existed, nor the National Industrial Basketball League.

Now I can mentally relax for the rest of the day. My tiny brain has been refreshed with some new information.
purplitis72
Buddy also played in the NBA for the Detroit Pistons.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Amazing! I just learned something by reading The Sawmill. He played for the "New York Tuck Tapers". (I had to Google it.) Never knew such a team existed, nor the National Industrial Basketball League.

Now I can mentally relax for the rest of the day. My tiny brain has been refreshed with some new information.
Makes me want to go work on my Crip Shot.
purplitis72
Buddy and his wife's name are on the floor of W.R. Johnson Coliseum. Buddy's wife was a longtime teacher at SFA. They contribute a lot of money to the program. I had lunch with Buddy and his wife and Danny Kaspar and his wife in May 2018. When Danny excused himself from the table for a moment, Buddy told me that Danny was his favorite coach ever. Danny and Buddy tease each other considerably.
No-look
Saw the 2019 247 sports team recruiting ranking that was updated yesterday. SFA is 148 with one commitment. Which was Hart. I'm thinking they may not be updated correctly.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Makes me want to go work on my Crip Shot.

What, no 360 slam dunk?
purplitis72
Maybe we should all challenge each other in an on court shoot off.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

thanks 76 for the read and listen.. pretty darn cool... now I know who he is...
purplitis72
Buddy is not only a Lumberjack legend, he is also a very good human being. How many of you knew that Buddy among other things is a game warden? Buddy helped me a lot when my daughter and only child was killed in a tragic accident in his home town (Huntington, Texas) in 2016. He was a first responder to the scene.
No-look
What's the earliest date that players can arrive? Can they take summer classes?
No-look
Saw where Solomon said he would arrive June 9th.
SFAJack_76
They can take classes in the summer. I am pretty sure the cost is not covered by the scholarship. We certainly need all of the new men, and women, to be on campus getting to know each other.

I in no way, know the NCAA rules.
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

They can take classes in the summer. I am pretty sure the cost is not covered by the scholarship. We certainly need all of the new men, and women, to be on campus getting to know each other.

I also wonder about summer practices. Are they structured or is it voluntary?
purplitis72
Summer classes can be paid for scholarship players. The Tip In club under Danny Kaspar was specifically for that purpose. We had raffles and made donations for the purpose of summer school scholarships for his players. Danny also started the club to continue paying for scholarships for players who finished their eligibility but had not graduated yet. I don't know what they are doing now because the university dissolved the Tip In club after Danny left. The athletic department wanted that money to go into the general athletic fund. Maybe the SawMill could start a similar program.
No-look
purplitis72 said:

Summer classes can be paid for scholarship players. The Tip In club under Danny Kaspar was specifically for that purpose. We had raffles and made donations for the purpose of summer school scholarships for his players. Danny also started the club to continue paying for scholarships for players who finished their eligibility but had not graduated yet. I don't know what they are doing now because the university dissolved the Tip In club after Danny left. The athletic department wanted that money to go into the general athletic fund. Maybe the SawMill could start a similar program.
Does athletes have to pay for room and board during the summer?
purplitis72
That depends on whether SFA is willing to spend the money on it or not. Like I said, Danny made sure that his players were on scholarship in the summer. If SFA is not doing that then we are greatly disadvantaged. I'll guarantee you that T.J. will be on scholarship this summer at Tech. Now I don't know about scheduled practices and the rule on that. They have relaxed the rules on that the issue though. I think that they can probably have a limited amount of them but I'm not sure. That would be a good question for Isaac. The players themselves can get together on their own. What you need though is a player that is a leader to organize it. I'll send an EMAIL to Danny Kaspar and ask him.
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I also wonder about summer practices. Are they structured or is it voluntary?
I can add, that the annual meet the Jacks and Ladyjacks dinner in October at the First Methodist Church is a fund raiser for summer scholarships. We went for the first time last year. There was a very good turnout. Ashamed to say that I can't remember which civic club sponsors it.
Pilotgirl
June 9th starts Summer I
No-look
Pilotgirl said:

June 9th starts Summer I
. Hoping all players are on campus early to get work in. They really don't need a recreational summer. Right? Lol
Jacks4460
Purple Lights will pay for Summer School... I know the football team is staying in town and Coach Stoner will have a full team to work with... pretty sure they will have a meal card and stay in the dorms and be given the opportunity to take 3-6 hrs each summer session.. I remember some of the players I played with had a job on campus with one of the maintenace crews and they worked and earned $$ also..
wahlwesle
SFA Jack Fanatic
He must have requested and been granted his release. Wanted to stay closer to home, I'm guessing. (Or he may have seen a better chance of getting playing time sooner at Tulane, what with the big guys we're bringing in.)
SFAJack_76
This makes me happy.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic
How can we listen to this? Should be interesting.
PurpleOut
Staff
He's got a podcast, so probably whenever he publishes it.
No-look
Should be interesting. What time?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.