2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball

318,603 Views | 1447 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
CertifiedAxeman98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleOut said:

Update on tickets, appears some may have been printed late and were not mailed. They'll be at Will Call.

No update on the transfer option yet, still not available.
I received my tickets but do not think I will be able to make Wednesday's game and Saturday is not looking good either. So if they can't get the transfer option up and running they will probably go unused as there is not enough time for me to mail them to my usual people in Nac who take them off my hands.
LUMBERJACK2005
Not sure if this was ever broached, I didn't see it if so, but I noticed where Tylan Pope is on Tulane's roster. I thought we lost him because he didn't qualify. Hate that he chose someone else but glad to see he didn't miss out due to grade issues.
PurpleOut
Staff
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

Not sure if this was ever broached, I didn't see it if so, but I noticed where Tylan Pope is on Tulane's roster. I thought we lost him because he didn't qualify. Hate that he chose someone else but glad to see he didn't miss out due to grade issues.
Yeah. But just because he doesn't qualify at one place, doesn't mean he can't qualify at a second place. Sometimes it can be just qualifying late.

In a class where we had a lot of offers on the table, with kids read to pull the trigger...we weren't going to be willing to wait and see.
CertifiedAxeman98
PurpleOut said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

Yeah. But just because he doesn't qualify at one place, doesn't mean he can't qualify at a second place. Sometimes it can be just qualifying late.

In a class where we had a lot of offers on the table, with kids read to pull the trigger...we weren't going to be willing to wait and see.
As of the middle of October he was still waiting to see if he was eligible or not. And he didn't play in their exhibition game last week but was mentioned in their latest new story. So not sure if he will actually play this year. They may just burn a spot this year while he gets eligible.

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/article_c7488ee8-ec6e-11e9-947a-c7b1af65fe4f.html

https://tulanegreenwave.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=15536

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2019/11/1/mens-basketball-to-conduct-open-practice-november-2.aspx?path=mbball

I was a fan of keeping him and let him work out his eligibility issues over the summer. Unless you have significant issues with health (knock on wood) your not going to play 13 anyway so why not take a chance on him rather than pick up yet another JUCO to fill a that spot and let a talent like him walk? Tulane has nothing to lose. They did win a game in their conference and only won 4 games total last year. They have a new coach so why not take a flyer on a kid like this and he gets to stay in Louisiana.
PurpleOut
Staff
I don't disagree, it's just one of those hard parts of recruiting. You never know who will pan out, and I think our string of high profile recruits that didn't (for us), probably pushed us in the direction to move on from Pope. I also believe the initial indication was that he'd go JUCO, in which we would have a good chance at landing him next season. It was a gamble.
CertifiedAxeman98
I have always wanted a subscription to Kenpom but never bought one until this year since it was only $20.

Preseason projected overall record of 16-15 and 10-10 in SLC and finishing tied for 6th in the league. Most games are either wins or close loses with the exception of the top 100 teams we play.

I am more optimistic with my projections:
Overall record of 21-10 and 14-6 in SLC and end up 3rd in the league. Then do some damage in the SLC tourney with a team that has been together for the year.
nacluth
I support this prediction.
No-look
I'm thinking we finish first or second in conference play baring injuries. I really believe we can win the conference.
LUMBERJACK2005
PurpleOut said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

Noted, didn't realize that. I thought you were either a full qualifier or a non-qualifier.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

I'm thinking we finish first or second in conference play baring injuries. I really believe we can win the conference.

I like the cut of your jib, No-look!
CertifiedAxeman98
No-look said:

Winning the SLC is not a high hurtle to overcome. The SLC was 29 out of 32 conferences last year.

I am not sold on all the new bodies and expect to struggle some early on. We are now playing 20 SLC games and start those in December. So there is less time for things to come together before we start league play.
SFAXE93
Duke beat Kansas 68-66.

That will be a good win for us.
TallTexan
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

No-look said:

Winning the SLC is not a high hurtle to overcome. The SLC was 29 out of 32 conferences last year.

I am not sold on all the new bodies and expect to struggle some early on. We are now playing 20 SLC games and start those in December. So there is less time for things to come together before we start league play.
Yep, but we do have the benefit of those Spain games. A decent advantage with all these newcomers.
RedRiverLa
Nicholls has just taken Illinois to overtime at Illinois.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
RedRiverLa
RedRiverLa said:

Nicholls has just taken Illinois to overtime at Illinois.
Illinois pulls it out 78-70
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

I have always wanted a subscription to Kenpom but never bought one until this year since it was only $20.

Preseason projected overall record of 16-15 and 10-10 in SLC and finishing tied for 6th in the league. Most games are either wins or close loses with the exception of the top 100 teams we play.

I am more optimistic with my projections:
Overall record of 21-10 and 14-6 in SLC and end up 3rd in the league. Then do some damage in the SLC tourney with a team that has been together for the year.
I'm optimistic, too, and I'm an overall fan of Keller, but I think this is truly Keller's biggest test to see if he is the coach I'm hoping he is - as more and more of these players are his - but until we see the product on the court, at this stage, I'll go back to last year's moving target prediction from the coaching staff that ended up as - 'come April, you don't want to play us". I'll stating moving the months up once i see how they jell on the court. So I predict 18-13, and 12-8 in league play, 4th and a quarterfinal finish in the tourney - but we will win the National Championship on my Xbox One.
Lumberjack Battalion
Ljacks&Longnecks
I think it wise to exercise cautious optimism for the upcoming season at least til we have seen a few games. Lots of newcomers , hopefully they exhibit a Team attitude and play together. Did okay in Spain and "won" our two scrimmages but now we will see how they perform under the lights. I'm hopeful and agree with RedRiver that this will be a good test of Keller as head coach and leader. It's not unfair to say that he needs to produce and get us back on track.

That said we know that tomorrow if we don't lead LeTourneau by 30 at the half then the hand wringing and criticism of the coaching staff will begin almost immediately.
jboy93
I'm a glass half full kind of guy. I strongly believe this team will be a pleasant surprise to the tune of a 20+ win season!!! Hope they prove me right.
Let's GO JACKS!!!
SFASawmillGuy
I mean, if we want to be treated by all the mid major outlets like one of the best, we need to hope for a bit more than just 20 wins. Especially in the SLC.
Pilotgirl
V follows Ivan on Insta (his is private) and we think he's on the coaching staff now.
No-look
Hummmm...
SFA Jack Fanatic
With Solomon and Hart playing so well, I can't see Coach K starting Bain anymore. And, Nate is foul-proned.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

With Solomon and Hart playing so well, I can't see Coach K starting Bain anymore. And, Nate is foul-proned.
It's good to have depth this year regardless of who starts. Kinda like Shannon being the sixth man. Lol
sfa17
Bain started but He played a total of 5 minutes. I agree probably won't be starting in a few more games.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks are at # 278 on KenPom (through games of 11/10). The climb has begun.

Others of note:

Despite their loss, Michigan State is still #1.

Niagara: 334
Drexel: 242
Rutgers: 69
Duke: 5
Arkansas State: 286

Southland:

Prison Tech: 156
Nicholls: 256
UCA: 257
UNO: 272
HBU: 281
Lamar: 285
ACU: 292
TAMCC: 312
McNeese: 319
SELA: 327
NSU: 344
UIW: 347

Bringing up the rear is Mississippi Valley State at # 353.
nacluth
Also worth noting is that our win sent NC Central to 332.
CertifiedAxeman98
After seeing Zivney come into the game on Saturday in the last few minutes wearing #5 without a name on the back. It made me wonder what is up with the other walk-ons, Matturro & Badgley? I got to the game a few minutes late on Saturday and was not able to see them warm up. Are they suiting up? I know that we can only suit up 15 but we have a couple of injuries. Obviously with the team we have this year I don't expect any walk-on seeing the floor much other than garbage time but was curious.
LUMBERJACK2005
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

After seeing Zivney come into the game on Saturday in the last few minutes wearing #5 without a name on the back. It made me wonder what is up with the other walk-ons, Matturro & Badgley? I got to the game a few minutes late on Saturday and was not able to see them warm up. Are they suiting up? I know that we can only suit up 15 but we have a couple of injuries. Obviously with the team we have this year I don't expect any walk-on seeing the floor much other than garbage time but was curious.
Badgley wasn't in uniform vs. NCCU.
TallTexan
Matt you ever hear back from the AD about having a game with the full band?
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

Matt you ever hear back from the AD about having a game with the full band?
Not really, not from the tweet itself. But everyone that I talked to when I was in town seemed to really like the idea.
TallTexan
I'd love to see that happen. It'd be great to pair with one of the Cram The Coliseum games.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

I'd love to see that happen. It'd be great to pair with one of the Cram The Coliseum games.
I'd love to see it too. This year will be interesting and a little different with attendance. I meant to take some pics, but I walked around to the other side to see the construction and there's a good portion of the existing seats that have an obstructed view.

I think a big weekday game, where the crowd will normally be smaller, would be the better idea. But that's me.

For those that didn't see it, this is what we are talking about:

SFA Jack Fanatic
Assuming that Duke will knock off Cal this week, the Jacks will have a chance to face and defeat the #1 team in the country next week. Duke has moved up to #1 in the latest AP Top 25 poll.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Here are Duke's leaders heading into tonight's finale of the 2K Empire Classic in Madison Square Garden against Georgetown:

Tre Jones - 6' 3" Sophomore G and the only returning starter - 17.0 ppg, 5.8 apg
Vernon Carey, Jr. - 6' 10" Freshman C - 14.8 ppg, 8.3 rpg
Cassius Stanley - 6' 6" Freshman G - 13.0 ppg, 5.0 rpg
Matthew Hurt - 6' 9" Freshman F - 10.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg

The Jacks will have their hands full on Tuesday. They had better bring their A-game and not be intimidated going into Cameron Indoor.
TallTexan
We've got a few factors in our favor.

They'll have just played two prime time games in a row, Thanksgiving week crowd probably won't be Duke's best, and as best I can tell Duke's never beaten us before, a streak we shouldn't break.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.