2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball

318,331 Views | 1447 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
RedRiverLa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleOut said:

MasterAxe said:

I understand everyone's point. You all make perfectly valid points.

Mine is this: I don't want to be someone's backup plan. If he wants to go, then go. If he wants to stay, then stay.

I don't think I'm wrong for wanting SFA to be the priority. I want all-in players, not "almost all-in, but looking to leave," players.
We understand your point as well, but it's not about you or us. It's about a 20-something year old college student that's trying to prepare for his future. The example you used about your wife earlier isn't close to the same.

He isn't looking to leaving, he's preparing to leave. Because if he doesn't leave this year...he WILL next year. This is the way the NCAA and NBA works. Players can make the decision to leave all together with only a few people giving them wrong/inaccurate. This way, Kevon gets to talk to a LOT of people to make sure it's the right decision. If it's not, he's still enrolled in school.

Purple Out Nailed it! I agree with what I think Master's point is- that being no one should play if they aren't all in. I just don't think Kevon's move signifies that. It's what will they tell me I need to work on so I can be ready for a career beyond college.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
RedRiverLa
cboothe09 said:

I don't see this as he wants to go, but instead more of a "What do I need to work on to reach the NBA?"

This.
Lumberjack Battalion
RedRiverLa
Master Axe, I've never thought of you as a Negative Nancy, more of a Debbie Downer to me. I say that with respect. BTW, is your wife aware of her new found fame on the Sawmill?
Lumberjack Battalion
purplitis72
I agree with Purple Out on this issue. It is not like Kevon has chosen to abandon us. All Keller should do when Kevon says he wants to remain a Lumberjack is to ask him if he is all in.
SFAJack_76
Bemused by the thread I started to talk about the 2019-2020 basketball team being turned into a pillow fight. I hate the off season.

Let me know when you get back to talking basketball. I will be on the baseball, softball, spring football, and T&F threads. Concluding golf today with an interesting afternoon for our Lumberjacks. (Final round is not quite done.)
purplitis72
76 the last time I looked Kevon was still a basketball player. How is that off the subject of basketball?
CertifiedAxeman98
Kevon is a great combo/swingman/scorer that can score from outside and inside. The rise of the Combo Guard that can shoot the 3 like he can and then break someones legs and drive to the hoop powering his way to the basket is popular in the new position-less NBA. Teams are going 4 out with a center a lot more now (i.e. Rockets). They need guys that can shoot the 3 and drive to the hoop. The NBA is extremely athletic now and Kevon brings that to the table as well. Also, speaking of the Rockets a guy like PJ Tucker a 6'6" "Power Forward", he shoots the 3 well and can power his way to the basket.

I still think Kevon will be back next year. I think he needs a run in the NCAA to get exposure like Walkup did. IMO that is what got Walkup on the Windy City Bulls. Kevon's path to the NBA may be through the G league but it would be great to hear a Lumberjack get drafted in the NBA.
CertifiedAxeman98
Also, I hate to beat a dead horse but:

I wish there was a better way for college kids to get evaluated and get a draft grade by NBA scouts/coaches prior to the draft other than having to go through the process of declaring for the draft but there isn't one. We will continue to see this year after year. Now they can even hire an agent to help them and like in past years many will return to college and go back to play another year or more. Some people hate the 1 and done rule. That is the NBA world we live in now.
BigJack85
Biased comment but... Kevon needs a solid season with SFA to propel him to NBA pick level. Hope he comes back and fulfills his promise with SFA and then NBA.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Ljacks&Longnecks
Looks like the we's have it!
purplitis72
Are you a "we"? When did you become plural, Longneck? "We" doesn't necessary include you include you. And, "the little pig said wee, wee wee, all the way home". Kevon needs to have a great senior season on a Lumberjack team that wins. That's what "I" believe. Aye?
SFA Jack Fanatic
I agree with what 76 said above. There was a time, not very long ago, when this was a fun place to come and discuss SFA athletics without sniping at each other like a bunch of children. I hope we get back to that time again. Soon.

I'm joining 76 over on the other forums.
CertifiedAxeman98
Anyone know how many guys they bring to the NBA Combine.
nacluth
Just saw Kevon on campus and wished him luck.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
MasterAxe
RedRiverLa said:

Master Axe, I've never thought of you as a Negative Nancy, more of a Debbie Downer to me. I say that with respect. BTW, is your wife aware of her new found fame on the Sawmill?

What is this fame you speak of? I'll let her know as soon as I know lol
Pilotgirl
After thinking..looking at comments, getting perspective...I'm fine with this move now. Plus, tons of players do this so it's not like its a new thing. Plus, like some people said, this is his chosen career path. *If* he was drafted, he could always finish his degree after his playing career was finished (several do).

Honestly, if he was draft ready, I still would be ok bc, let's face it, if i was offered a job in my field that paid 330k more than I was making, I wouldnt even take a second to think about it. DONE. Yes he signed to play with SFA for 4 years but his promise has been to himself & his fam. ...to be the best he can be. He's got determination & a strong work ethic...im sure he will play somewhere after SFA, like Europe or G league. Plus, Im sure we got 2 years playing time out of him this past season
purplitis72
Kevon will definitely make some good money playing basketball somewhere but I don't think that it will happen until after the 2019-2020 season. Whatever happens though, we should be proud of him and proud for him.
Pilotgirl
Yup. That's why I said 'if he were draft ready'. I see him doing G league (gotta make a run for that) or Europe, like Walkup & Leon.

SFA Jack Fanatic
The NBA announced today that 233 players - 175 from colleges and 58 international players - have filed as early entry candidates for the 2019 draft.

I'm guessing that Kevon will be back.
PurpleOut
Staff
The agents they use in this type of case, are specially certified agents by the NCAA. If they know they aren't coming back then they can choose a "real" agent. But this agent gets certified by the NCAA and then represents the athlete as normal, puts them in front of teams, workouts, etc.
TallTexan
Sounds pretty cool.
MasterAxe
It would appear as though his best bet is to return.

However, I still maintain a semi-idea that he may not.

He may not be, and really isn't, ready for NBA...but he sure as heck could play in MANY European leagues, right now. Guaranteed. Maybe not the highest level, but for sure at many levels.

The lure of getting paid immediately, albeit not NBA, could be hard to pass up. Especially with former SFA teammates playing really well in leagues abroad.

And, an agent could tell him "One year of pro ball at a league in Europe is better than one more year in college."

Have to consider all options, including not returning. Until I see him withdraw from the Draft and in a uniform, I think we have to do the ol "Pray for the best, assume the worst."

purplitis72
I'm optimistic that he will come back for his senior season. He's going to get more attention playing college ball in the U.S. Coaches are always faced with re-recruiting their players every year.
wahlwesle
MasterAxe said:

And, an agent could tell him "One year of pro ball at a league in Europe is better than one more year in college."
If these agents are NCAA certified, I would hope they wouldn't try to sell a kid a false hope that would cause them to give up a college degree for one year of additional pro ball at mediocre pay. Hopefully the coaching staff at SFA are offering sound advice as well.
sfa17
any pro option Kevon has this summer will still be available next summer. He can come back for one last year and average 20 ppg

Stats say he has gotten better every single year
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4067858/kevon-harris
nacluth
I thought I would look into what our offense may be like next season by looking at the past season's stats. (I'm showing everyone's ppg even though I know two players aren't probably going to be here.)

Harris: 17.8 ppg
Bain: 5.8 ppg
Comeaux: 5.4 ppg
Seraille: 4.1 ppg
Walker: 1.6 ppg
Brown (JUCO): 13.2 ppg
Daniels (JUCO): 10.6 ppg
Johnson (JUCO): 16.4 ppg
Kachelries (JUCO): 12.9 ppg
Kensmil (JUCO): 14.5 ppg
Ware (JUCO): 19.7 ppg
McDaniel (HS): 18.4 ppg
Solomon (HS): 16 ppg

Total offense: 156.4 ppg

Now, I know that everyone isn't going to produce as well as they did at their previous colleges/high school, so I'm going to factor 1/3 less production across the board. Doing this, I've figured that we will only average about 100 points per game next year plus or minus 5 points.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
purplitis72
I take it that you are assuming that Pope want be with us.
purplitis72
SFA17, If you will look at moments played you will see that his numbers went up with his usage. He played way too many minutes last year. If he can 18 points and 7 rebounds with five less minutes a game, I will be happy.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Now, I know that everyone isn't going to produce as well as they did at their previous colleges/high school, so I'm going to factor 1/3 less production across the board. Doing this, I've figured that we will only average about 100 points per game next year plus or minus 5 points.
You forgot to factor in us, the loyal supporters of SFA, & our ever faithful crowd. We're worth a 10% boost.

So 110 at home and 100 on the road.

If we can hold opponents to 99 or less each game, we'll win.
purplitis72
I'll accept 80 points a game with a defense that gives up only 65.
nacluth
purplitis72 said:

so right, I forgot Pope and Hart. Let's just use their numbers as the random outliers for the two whoever they are that won't be here.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
sfa17
purplitis72 said:

SFA17, If you will look at moments played you will see that his numbers went up with his usage. He played way too many minutes last year. If he can 18 points and 7 rebounds with five less minutes a game, I will be happy.
true, good point
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Anyone know how many guys they bring to the NBA Combine.
No-look
nacluth said:

purplitis72 said:

so right, I forgot Pope and Hart. Let's just use their numbers as the random outliers for the two whoever they are that won't be here.
And what's going to be hard to figure out is how to dicipher the Freshman of the Year Award between our four freshmen. Can four share the same award?
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

You forgot to factor in us, the loyal supporters of SFA, & our ever faithful crowd. We're worth a 10% boost.

So 110 at home and 100 on the road.

If we can hold opponents to 99 or less each game, we'll win.

It would appear that Nacluth and TallTexan have both started drinking again on the exact same day. Get some help, guys.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.