2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball

318,599 Views | 1447 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
purplitis72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did they ever stop drinking. I just had a delicious margarita myself. I'm thinking about having another and then rejoin this conversation. Happy hour!
purplitis72
nacluth
I was thinking about AA, but that just reminded me about Aaron Augustin, and I had to go for another drink.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Now, I know that everyone isn't going to produce as well as they did at their previous colleges/high school, so I'm going to factor 1/3 less production across the board. Doing this, I've figured that we will only average about 100 points per game next year plus or minus 5 points.
You forgot to factor in us, the loyal supporters of SFA, & our ever faithful crowd. We're worth a 10% boost.

So 110 at home and 100 on the road.

If we can hold opponents to 99 or less each game, we'll win.

It would appear that Nacluth and TallTexan have both started drinking again on the exact same day. Get some help, guys.
What would you say if I told you we're like this stone cold sober?
TallTexan
nacluth said:

I was thinking about AA, but that just reminded me about Aaron Augustin, and I had to go for another drink.
Pace yourself, we've lost some of the high tolerances we had from the end of basketball season.
purplitis72
After that second margarita, I'm now singing the Wabash Canon Ball. Oh Yeah!
purplitis72

"Wasting away again in Margaritaville."
TallTexan
nacluth
Down one.
No-look
No surprise here.
purplitis72
Good luck Mitch!

William Shakespeare: "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds"
TallTexan
Mitch is an incredibly physically talented athlete. Hope he lands somewhere that's a fit for him to develop that talent.
TallTexan
On a different note, I'm seeing a few OOC games starting to show up for other schools. Wonder when we'll start seeing some show up for the Lumberjacks.
CottonValleyJack
TallTexan said:

Keller should be on the hot seat. He turned SFA hoops into a total dumpster fire after almost 20 years of great basketball. I say we fire him before more damage is done, who's with me?
TallTexan
CottonValleyJack said:

I say we fire him before more damage is done, who's with me?
Literally no one. Get out of here with your seagull commenting.
CottonValleyJack
TallTexan said:

CottonValleyJack said:

Everyone is okay with current state of our program? I hope we have more pride than that. Has Keller turned the majority into masochists?
sfa17
I was told he was one of the trouble makers in the locker room and we are trying to be drama free next season
TallTexan
CottonValleyJack said:

TallTexan said:

CottonValleyJack said:

Everyone is okay with current state of our program? I hope we have more pride than that. Has Keller turned the majority into masochists?
Literally no one is ok with the current results, including the coaching staff.
CottonValleyJack
TallTexan said:

CottonValleyJack said:

TallTexan said:

CottonValleyJack said:

Literally no one is ok with the current results, including the coaching staff.
This is an odd psyche, which seems to be adopted by most on this board. We are going into year four of Keller and we are a middle to lower tier Southland team, but it's taboo to hold the coaching staff accountable? As a SFA alumni and donor, I expect better.
CertifiedAxeman98
When they picked up a JUCO big right before the signing period started, it started to seem likely this was coming.

I know at least once he sat the bench for rules violations (sat with Karl). Down the stretch Keller started & played GRU as much as Mitch for "working hard in practice", when it was clear that Mitch was the better player on the court. GRU was about to leave school and Mitch was recruited to be a future starter on your team. There was one game close to the end of the season you could have used him (maybe the Lamar game) and he sat the whole first half not sure why.

There must have been issues between him and the coaching staff and it was not a good fit. From an outsider it made no sense why he was not getting more play time when he was clearly your best shot blocker (after Karl left). This is one of my issues with the coaching staff, the season was lost in February (Coaching staff was in denial but it was) and so you should have gotten your freshman more play time. Why play GRU or a hurt Niemien when you have a freshman forward with talent. You should have been looking at the future. Sitting and watching someone play ahead of you that is racking up stats like 0 pts, 0 blks, 5 fouls has to be frustrating.

I hope this year was a good learning opportunity for the coaches and that they learn how to recruit guys that fit what they want to do (on and off the court) as well as learn how to use and grow young talent. You don't want to have to go out and get 6 JUCO's every year because your HS recruits all leave. I hope that the 4 HS guys coming in change that trend or Keller has to go.
purplitis72
There are far more people who agree with CottonValleyJack than you realize. Your opinion is always welcome CottonValleyJack. However, there's no chance that they will fire Keller before the next season. If they were going to fire him, they would have already. I too have serious doubts about his coaching ability although I hope that he changes my opinion. Yes, we made it to the NCAA tourney season before last but why wouldn't have we with the talent that we had? We've been a turnover machine since Keller has been here. Turnovers on the court and turn overs with our players.
TallTexan
CottonValleyJack said:

TallTexan said:

CottonValleyJack said:

TallTexan said:

CottonValleyJack said:

Literally no one is ok with the current results, including the coaching staff. Begone seagull!
This is an odd psyche, which seems to be adopted by most on this board. We are going into year four of Keller and we a middle to lower tier Southland team, but it's taboo to hold the coaching staff accountable? As a SFA alumni and donor, I expect better.
63 posts over two years, the vast majority are overwhelmingly negative. You rarely & let me stress, RARELY show up with wins, but are always skulking around when we lose a player or lose a game. Everything is an indictment of Keller to you because you lurk around waiting for anything you perceive as bad for the program to happen.
sfa17
Im on the fence. I think this season is do or die. Lets give him a chance to see if he can turn this ship around. 3 seasons is not enough to make a decision. Especially since one of those 3 seasons we went to ncca tourney. We have also beat LSU and Baylor in the last 3 years on the road.

First season doesn't count, second season he won 28 game and went to tourney and almost beat tech. 3 season was just horrible.

If we dont make the NCAA tourney next season then i think its clear the direction we are moving in
purplitis72
You counted his posts Tall Texan? Wow!
sfa17
purplitis72 said:

You counted his posts Tall Texan? Wow! Maybe you are the real sea gull that craps on other peoples posts. Personally, I always feed the sea gulls when I get a chance. I like sea gulls!
lol you just have to click on the person's username and it give you their # of post
CottonValleyJack
TallTexan said:

CottonValleyJack said:

TallTexan said:

CottonValleyJack said:

TallTexan said:

CottonValleyJack said:

Literally no one is ok with the current results, including the coaching staff. Begone seagull!
This is an odd psyche, which seems to be adopted by most on this board. We are going into year four of Keller and we a middle to lower tier Southland team, but it's taboo to hold the coaching staff accountable? As a SFA alumni and donor, I expect better.
63 posts over two years, the vast majority are overwhelmingly negative. You rarely & let me stress, RARELY show up with wins, but are always skulking around when we lose a player or lose a game. Everything is an indictment of Keller to you because you lurk around waiting for anything you perceive as bad for the program to happen.

I was an early proponent of Keller's lack of prowess, unfortunately I've been proven right. Thanks for grading my posts. I'll be sure to show up after our wins going forward, which sadly are few and far between.
No-look
We all know the main issues this past year. Injuries and dismissals.... Lets not forget that last year we came within an inch of beating Tech in the tourney. Sometimes the best athletes don't buy in and some are not coachable.
purplitis72
Yes, but sometimes those recruits aren't carefully vetted before they are offered. If we cannot agree to disagree then what is the purpose of this blog?
SFAJack_76
Awe, gee. With Mitch's announcement, I was ready to come back to this thread and talk about the team. I'll check back later.
nacluth
Thanks everyone for your passion and particular viewpoints and outlooks about the state of the basketball program. Everyone has a right to express their viewpoints, but I'm editing any personal name calling. Going forward with pet names or personal characterizations will get you a timeout this week.

Carry on.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
purplitis72
We are talking about the team! We are talking about its coaches. Thank you Nacluth. Name calling accomplishes nothing.
CertifiedAxeman98
No-look said:

We all know the main issues this past year. Injuries and dismissals.... Lets not forget that last year we came within an inch of beating Tech in the tourney. Sometimes the best athletes don't buy in and some are not coachable.
I agree with most of this. If you only had a few guys being dismissed or transferring out then I would agree 100%. But Keller now only has 2 players (Harris/Walker) on the team that he recruited out of HS. The rest of his HS recruits have either transferred or been dismissed maybe an injury impacted someone as well. You are either not managing your locker room (including off the court) or your not managing your players correctly or your not picking up things in recruiting or a combination of those items. Guys will transfer every year for more play time you can't give all 13 guys even playing time.

I am going with the approach that you are only as good as your last at bat so lets see what the 4 HS kids coming in do and if they stick around.
purplitis72
I agree Axeman98. But, how much more can we tolerate? Keller has a tendency to try and sugar coat every negative thing that happens. But it is hard to argue with numbers and facts. Numbers do not lie. So far Keller has far more negatives than positives. This issue reminds me of how Bob Knights son took a very good Lamar program down to the ground. He too made it to the NCAA tourney once in his tenure.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Thanks everyone for your passion and particular viewpoints and outlooks about the state of the basketball program. Everyone has a right to express their viewpoints, but I'm editing any personal name calling. Going forward with pet names or personal characterizations will get you a timeout this week.

Carry on.
Everybody run, it's the fuzz!

I'll suppose I'll behave, if I must.
CertifiedAxeman98
You just signed 10 guys up to come play for this coaching staff. Let that sink in.

Ivey will give Keller another year. He must or he will risk making a bigger mess when recruits start asking for a release from their LOI. You can't make a change at this point you have to ride the horse you have for 19/20.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.