2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball

317,505 Views | 1447 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Makes more sense now.
TallTexan
Speaking of pro opportunities, any word on what Shannon's up to?
Pilotgirl
I could totally see him playing in Europe.
MasterAxe
I understand everyone's point. You all make perfectly valid points.

Mine is this: I don't want to be someone's backup plan. If he wants to go, then go. If he wants to stay, then stay.

I don't think I'm wrong for wanting SFA to be the priority. I want all-in players, not "almost all-in, but looking to leave," players.
purplitis72
I could see Shannon in the NBA D league. He needs to learn how to play the point.
cboothe09
I don't see this as he wants to go, but instead more of a "What do I need to work on to reach the NBA?"
purplitis72
I agree with you Purple Out. If he isn't given much love from the NBA he has little choice but to return. I have no problem with what he is doing. I also have no problem with Keller holding his scholarship for him. We all should want what's best for our student athletes. I also don't believe that is one of the two scholarships that will be eliminated.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I want to thank Master for the built in excuse for MBB next season......but....If Keller takes all these new guys and wins the conference or SLC tourney wouldn't that mean he did a heck of a coaching job....or would it be on the players then??
MasterAxe
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

I want to thank Master for the built in excuse for MBB next season......but....If Keller takes all these new guys and wins the conference or SLC tourney wouldn't that mean he did a heck of a coaching job....or would it be on the players then??

It would absolutely mean he did a great job. It also meant the guys did a great job.

I'm never afraid to admit I'm wrong, and I'll be the first to admit it IF it happens.

It's just opinion, but I don't see that happening.
sfa17
It could be a tough season with all the new players. But after last year there is no excuse for a bad season. Win against all odds.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

Mine is this: I don't want to be someone's backup plan. If he wants to go, then go. If he wants to stay, then stay.

I don't think I'm wrong for wanting SFA to be the priority. I want all-in players, not "almost all-in, but looking to leave," players.

Come on man. The job of the university is to get kids good paying jobs. It just so happens that one of the jobs Kevon can do might be NBA player. 385k a year base salary for a rookie.

Find me one other kid on campus who's a non athlete who'd get paid 385k out the gate in their career of choice.

This isn't a measure of Kevon's lack of commitment to college basketball, if anything, it's a reward for being so dedicated to it. There's nothing wrong with him getting a professional eval to see if he's ready to start his career.
PurpleOut
Staff
MasterAxe said:

We understand your point as well, but it's not about you or us. It's about a 20-something year old college student that's trying to prepare for his future. The example you used about your wife earlier isn't close to the same.

He isn't looking to leaving, he's preparing to leave. Because if he doesn't leave this year...he WILL next year. This is the way the NCAA and NBA works. Players can make the decision to leave all together with only a few people giving them wrong/inaccurate. This way, Kevon gets to talk to a LOT of people to make sure it's the right decision. If it's not, he's still enrolled in school.
CertifiedAxeman98
PurpleOut said:

MasterAxe said:

We understand your point as well, but it's not about you or us. It's about a 20-something year old college student that's trying to prepare for his future. The example you used about your wife earlier isn't close to the same.

He isn't looking to leaving, he's preparing to leave. Because if he doesn't leave this year...he WILL next year. This is the way the NCAA and NBA works. Players can make the decision to leave all together with only a few people giving them wrong/inaccurate. This way, Kevon gets to talk to a LOT of people to make sure it's the right decision. If it's not, he's still enrolled in school.

Completely agree. The problem is that the only way for him to get the pro level evaluation from scouts/coaches is to declare for the draft. He wants to see where he stands currently and what he needs to do before becoming a pro. It is a dumb process of having to declare but guys do it every year and then return to school and work on the things the pro scouts/coaches tell them to work on. I think this is a positive for him and the school. If I were a betting man he's be back next year and be fully committed. Coming back and helping a team make a run in the NCAA would really help his stock. It is like he is going on mock interviews. This is the smart thing for him to do. I hope it also gives SFA some exposure. If you have pro scouts at the games next year it is a plus for the school and the rest of the team. Had we made a good run in the tourney last year and he had more exposure I would say there was a bigger chance for him to go pro now but at this point I see him coming back and being more determined than ever.

If he does grade out as say a 2 round pick for example and he doesn't come back then good for him. It is hard to make the NBA only a limited # of spots
No-look
Good publicity for SFA and Kevon. Wish him the best. As Keller said there's a strong possibility that Kevon will be back next year. But it will be a great learning experience for him either way. I'm also selflessly wanting him to stay but it's not about me (as I continue to learn. Lol).
SFAJack_76
After getting past the shock, and understanding the rule change on hiring an agent, not only do I not mind Kevon's move, I think it is a good thing for both him and SFA. He has a future in professional basketball. Hopefully, NBA, but if not there, somewhere. Europe is working well for Walkup and Taylor Smith.This provides him a great opportunity to learn from those in the game what he needs to do to better his chances. For the SFA basketball program, what great press. What a great recruiting point.

I hope, hope, hope, that Kevon has a good support structure and is getting good advice. There have been too many instances of hangers on and unscrupulous agents taking kids for all they have. Kevon is a smart young man, and is doing it the right way. Hope he is back, but wish him nothing but the best either way.
cboothe09
When was the last time SFA had a guy that could actually talk about leaving early for the draft? Josh Alexander?
MasterAxe
cboothe09 said:

When was the last time SFA had a guy that could actually talk about leaving early for the draft? Josh Alexander?
I think the "hire and agent yet retain eligibility if you withdraw from draft early enough," is actually a brand new program.

Lots of guys could "Talk" about it. It being a real option is another thing.

I'd say Walkup was the most recent guy with any sort of domestic pro potential. We have lots of guys who are "pro," it just happens to be overseas.

I know guys like Josh, King, Jereal, Taylor, Floyd, Johnson etc...all play(ed) pro at some level.

But NBA caliber? Really only Thomas and that was just a brief D/G League stint.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah the new rule for agents just started last year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

PurpleOut said:

MasterAxe said:

Completely agree. The problem is that the only way for him to get the pro level evaluation from scouts/coaches is to declare for the draft. He wants to see where he stands currently and what he needs to do before becoming a pro. It is a dumb process of having to declare but guys do it every year and then return to school and work on the things the pro scouts/coaches tell them to work on. I think this is a positive for him and the school. If I were a betting man he's be back next year and be fully committed. Coming back and helping a team make a run in the NCAA would really help his stock. It is like he is going on mock interviews. This is the smart thing for him to do. I hope it also gives SFA some exposure. If you have pro scouts at the games next year it is a plus for the school and the rest of the team. Had we made a good run in the tourney last year and he had more exposure I would say there was a bigger chance for him to go pro now but at this point I see him coming back and being more determined than ever.

If he does grade out as say a 2 round pick for example and he doesn't come back then good for him. It is hard to make the NBA only a limited # of spots

Purple and Axeman both aced it! Bravo!
SfaFan15
I'm probably one of the biggest critics of Keller, but (I think) Kevon was a guy that he recruited or at least got signed and now he is getting somewhat serious looks by NBA scouts. That says a vast amount about Keller's abilities... I do think Kevon will play at SFA his senior year, but I think more than anything I would want to see him get drafted.

It would definitely hurt for a year or so in terms of losing that kind of productivity on the court, but the PR this would have for SFA combined with the selling point this would add to our already strong recruiting game would set us up to be an absolute dynasty in the Southland... Not to mention the possibility of Kevon writing a fat check to the athletics department with his draft money. lol
MasterAxe
CBS has an updated Top 100 list for the draft this year, as of "Declare Day," yesterday.

Kevon not in it.

purplitis72
I see nothing wrong with Master Axe expressing his lack of confidence in Keller. He has a right to his opinion. We all hope that Keller will succeed and prove to all of us who have doubts about him wrong. I have guarded optimism about next season, but I don't want my heart broken again. Longneck why are you always so contentious with other members opinions? Why don't you just merely express your own opinion instead of criticizing someone else's?
purplitis72
I love Kevon but you don't see very many 6'6" forwards in the NBA. Kevon would probably have to learn how to play guard.
MasterAxe
purplitis72 said:

I see nothing wrong with Master Axe expressing his lack of confidence in Keller. He has a right to his opinion. We all hope that Keller will succeed and prove to all of us who have doubts about him wrong. I have guarded optimism about next season, but I don't want my heart broken again.
Appreciate it. I'm often times perceived as the "negative nancy," but I try to see the whole picture.

Sometimes, that picture is ugly.

Last year left such a bad taste that my confidence in the program & Keller, was shook. I hope to hell I am wrong, but I fear we might be in for another struggle.

Kevon returning would be a HUGE "re-addition" to the team. But, just assuming he is back no matter what can be dangerous.

What's the old saying, "Pray for the best but expect the worst."
TallTexan
Anybody have more details on how declaring for the draft works? Does the NBA reach out & say "have you considered this"? Or is it solely on the player to decide & then their agent gets them in front of the NBA?
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

Anybody have more details on how declaring for the draft works? Does the NBA reach out & say "have you considered this"? Or is it solely on the player to decide & then their agent gets them in front of the NBA?
My guess would be the player reaches out to the league to find out the logistics of "Declare/Evaluate/Decide."

TallTexan
I'd figured that's the case but wasn't sure if it was like an informal invite process.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Negative Nancy and Debbie Downer but we still like you anyway Master. Not afraid to speak your mind and give your input and reasoning even if negative leaning.
CottonValleyJack
I agree with MasterAxe, this is an ominous sign. It's hard to be a pollyanna after watching last year and our best players are jumping ship faster than Billy Zane in Titanic.
purplitis72
We have gotten to the point that we don't care whether you like us or not Longneck. That's the poorest excuse of an apology that I have ever seen in my life. You should also speak for yourself instead of using the word we.
MasterAxe
purplitis72 said:

We have gotten to the point that we don't care whether you like us or not Longneck. That's the poorest excuse of an apology that I have ever seen in my life. You should also speak for yourself instead of using the word we.
I understood exactly what he/she meant. I took no offense to it. I believe he/she respects my opinion, whether agreeing or not. That's all I ever ask for.

(Burn alert)

You should speak for yourself instead of using the word we.

TallTexan
I'll join Longneck so that we have a group so as to officially be we. MasterAxe is liked around here. We know he can be a bit apocalyptic at times, but he's a big supporter of the Jacks either way.
purplitis72
My comment was directed to Longneck only.You are not Debbie Downer, Master Axe. You are a realist.
SFA Jack Fanatic
ROFL! Post of the Day, Texan!
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

I'll join Longneck so that we have a group so as to officially be we. MasterAxe is liked around here. We know he can be a bit apocalyptic at times, but he's a big supporter of the Jacks either way.
I approve of this message.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.