2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball

318,597 Views | 1447 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

Hey Sawmill people. Headed to Nacogdoches Saturday for the game. My Lumberjack fan daughter wants to come BUT she has a 5 month old that needs watching from approximately 3PM-7PM. Does anyone have a lead on a reliable young SFA fan that would be interested..... ? Willing to pay of course.
Might ask Tom at the Wesley foundation if any of their student's babysit.

Great. Great. Thought.
PurpleOut
Staff
RedRiverLa
In Shreveport watching the regional JUCO tournament at the Centenary Gold Dome and see coach Cox in the crowd across the way. Always working and searching. AxeEm!
RedRiverLa
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

Hey Sawmill people. Headed to Nacogdoches Saturday for the game. My Lumberjack fan daughter wants to come BUT she has a 5 month old that needs watching from approximately 3PM-7PM. Does anyone have a lead on a reliable young SFA fan that would be interested..... ? Willing to pay of course.
Might ask Tom at the Wesley foundation if any of their student's babysit.

Great. Great. Thought.

Also the perfect age for the halftime baby races. Might as well try and capitalize on some winnings.
SFAJack_76
RedRiverLa said:

In Shreveport watching the regional JUCO tournament at the Centenary Gold Dome and see coach Cox in the crowd across the way. Always working and searching. AxeEm!
You should introduce yourself. Very personable guy.
RedRiverLa
SFAJack_76 said:

RedRiverLa said:

You should introduce yourself. Very personable guy.

I did and you are exactly right. Very nice.
Rev007
An Open Letter to the Lumberjack Seniors,

Congratulations for sticking with the program and choosing to fight instead of giving up and quitting after a disastrous 2018-2019 season. Although the season is not yet over, your hard work has made this season very special for me and I'm sure for others. Many of last year's teammates left the program. However the three of you stuck it out, worked hard, and achieved the unimaginable. The victory against Duke was the most improbable game in the school's history, and I believe it was meant to be. I'm sure your former teammates wish they had the same internal fortitude and could share in the success of the 2019-2020 team, but if some of them would have stayed, would Gavin be fighting for the loose ball on the floor of Cameron Indoor Stadium? Would Nathan have been on the floor in position to dribble the length of the court and make a shot. Let's face it, we have a team to be proud of. When was the last time a team picked 8th in a weak conference finished 19-1 with a double bye in the Southland Conference Tournament? I'm glad for the team we have, not the one we could have had. We are truly blessed to have been able to watch these seniors throughout their tenure at SFA. I'd like to say a few words about each one.

John Comeaux- I'm going to miss you the most. Your hustle is unequaled. You sustained two micro fracture surgeries, and it would have been completely understandable if you would have said "no mas." However, quitting is not in your DNA. You're a fighter and an excellent role model. When I first started watching you, you played behind Aaron Augustin. When you would come in the game, you showed a non stop motor. Three years later, you still leave it all on the floor. I wish you well in life.

Nathan Bain - I'll always remember your shot against Duke and your emotional post game interview that inspired so many to donate your father's ministry which was devastated by Hurricane Dorian. This year, you have shown great composure and fantastic leadership. You are someone I am truly proud of.

Kevon Harris - You are one of the most talented players in school history. Why didn't you leave after last year's debacle? Well, that's really a silly question. You're a fighter just like John and Nathan. No player is perfect, and I can say you certainly had a few bad games, but you had over a 100 excellent games. Without your outstanding first half against Duke, there is no way we would have had the confidence to stay close to Duke and eventually pull out the greatest win in school history. You will be missed.

Guys, you may have played your last game on the hardwoods of WRJ Coliseum, but you still have unfinished business. You put yourselves in position to make history. Let's win the Southland Conference Tournament and at least the first two games in the NCAA tournament. I'm hoping for a second round match up against Texas Tech or Illinois. If that happens, it's a lock for the Sweet Sixteen.

Good luck in the tournament, but more importantly, good luck in life!

A Lumberjack Faithful Fan
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007 said:

Beautiful!
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Rev007 said:

Beautiful!
Indeed, very well said. Not to distract from any of it, I must add huge kudos to Keller and staff. A year ago, many were ready to run them out of town. They regrouped, recruited lights out, and coached up a team with nine new guys.

This says it all for me.
aquavelvis
Rev007 said:

Congratulations...Good luck in the tournament, but more importantly, good luck in life!

Well said, and amen.

Thanks to our seniors, and seniors-to-be.

Scott Taylor
SFA Jack Fanatic
#25 Michigan lost today. Is tomorrow that day that the Jacks move into the Top 25??
nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

#25 Michigan lost today. Is tomorrow that day that the Jacks move into the Top 25??
Right now, Penn St. and Michigan and maybe Houston drop out. Butler and West Virginia get above us and Rutgers might make it into the mix too. If three teams drop out, we have a shot but probably end up 26-28. If two teams drop out, we miss it.
BigJack85
Am I correct that the final "regular season" poll would be one week from tomorrow? I still think we'll have one more shot if we don't get in Monday.

I see us making it up to 26 tomorrow.
nacluth
Correct. Tomorrow is the last weekly ranking, and then there is one final poll after the tournament field is selected. My opinion is if we don't get selected tomorrow, we don't get in. I just don't see voters putting a 12 seed as #25.
nacluth
Just did a deep dive, and the lowest seed I could find the final #25 being was and 8 seed Iowa. 7 seed seems about average as one would expect.

Edit: take it back. The 2012-2013 #25 Oregon Ducks were a 12 seed. They went to the Sweet 16.
SFASawmillGuy
If we ended the season in the top 25 what kind of respect would we start next season with? Getting votes out do the gate? Or do you think we'd need to have another huge win to regain everyone's attention.
jflandis
Does everyone expect the Southland Conference to release the end of the year awards today? I saw that they released the last player of the week honors over the weekend so I though that may pave the way for the more important awards to be released.
PurpleOut
Staff
jflandis said:

Does everyone expect the Southland Conference to release the end of the year awards today? I saw that they released the last player of the week honors over the weekend so I though that may pave the way for the more important awards to be released.
Probably, it always before conference tournament so probably today or tomorrow.
nacluth
SFA_03 said:

If we ended the season in the top 25 what kind of respect would we start next season with? Getting votes out do the gate? Or do you think we'd need to have another huge win to regain everyone's attention.
Probably another big win.
SFAJack_76
jflandis said:

11:00 AM today
SFAJack_76

nacluth
Kevon got PoY and first team.
Kensmil Newcomer of year and second team.
Keller Coach of the Year.

Comeaux picked to make defensive team.
jflandis
nacluth said:

Kevon got PoY and first team.
Kensmil Newcomer of year and second team.
Keller Coach of the Year.

Comeaux picked to make defensive team.
Hard to argue too much with the selections. Got all of the most important awards correct. May could have seen a lumberjack on the 3rd team selection or John as the DPOY but overall a sense of relief that coach and Kevon got their very deserving recognition.
jflandis
Missed top 25 in National poll by about 30 points or so. I'm not convinced we were ever gonna get real consideration though.
jflandis
We will just have to make our noise in the NCAA tournament.
jboy93
"I think there's no doubt if we had stayed at SFA, or had he stayed, that he would have been playing there," Brad said. "He would help teams at that level. He has a high IQ, but he's also been a tremendous protector of his younger sisters.

Something I saw that Brad said about his son. Guess he doesn't think SFA is at a very high level since Tyler got no playing time at OK St. or Illinois...hmmm! I don't think I like the sound of that!!!

Just a little food for thought.
djsfw57
jboy93 said:

"I think there's no doubt if we had stayed at SFA, or had he stayed, that he would have been playing there," Brad said. "He would help teams at that level. He has a high IQ, but he's also been a tremendous protector of his younger sisters.

Something I saw that Brad said about his son. Guess he doesn't think SFA is at a very high level since Tyler got no playing time at OK St. or Illinois...hmmm! I don't think I like the sound of that!!!

Makes me hope we get to play Illinois and beat the snot out of them. LOL
Pilotgirl
I will take OUR Tyler Z. over his any day!
sfa17
jboy93 said:

Don't bite the hand that fed you... He was not going to play much here. Stop it BU.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Cool. Basically another plea for an at-large bid if we don't win in Katy. No need Pat, we're going to take care of business.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Cool. Basically another plea for an at-large bid if we don't win in Katy. No need Pat, we're going to take care of business.

Really straightforward AND cogent argument for us. I still believe we are in good shape to win this thing but you never know. Wright State looked unbeatable.... lost by 20 something in the semifinals. They are headed to the NIT. Yuck.
Pilotgirl
https://www.ktre.com/2020/03/11/lumberjacks-see-new-levels-success-with-change-practice/
Ljacks&Longnecks
Interesting story, thank Pilotgirl for posting.
RedRiverLa
Well, that's all folks. Canceled. I get it, it's what happens when you buy into the fear from the media instead of the truth from the infectious disease experts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.