2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball

317,203 Views | 1447 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oh no! I'm going to be out of town tomorrow. I had in my mind that Jack Madness was next week, and I blew it by saying I would go to my nephew's birthday. How did all these months of no basketball drag on and now sneak up on me? Who remembers anything from turning 4 anyway?
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

We sat near Hart and Ware. Both were reserved and polite. Ware said he chose SFA because it felt like home. Small town. He likes to get out, fish, etc.

I recruited Roti thank yall very much!!!!! I had all my comments erased on that thread...I wasnt talking out of the side of my mouth or anything back when I posted what I did... Kid is a winner and has a momma that is a winner herself... and he shoots 93% from the stripe...
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Oh no! I'm going to be out of town tomorrow. I had in my mind that Jack Madness was next week, and I blew it by saying I would go to my nephew's birthday. How did all these months of no basketball drag on and now sneak up on me? Who remembers anything from turning 4 anyway?
an out of town birthday party on homecoming weekend? Kid's a secret bearkat.
No-look
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

an out of town birthday party on homecoming weekend? Kid's a secret bearkat.
. This is very disturbing. Is this a cry for help?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

We sat near Hart and Ware. Both were reserved and polite. Ware said he chose SFA because it felt like home. Small town. He likes to get out, fish, etc.

I recruited Roti thank yall very much!!!!! I had all my comments erased on that thread...I wasnt talking out of the side of my mouth or anything back when I posted what I did... Kid is a winner and has a momma that is a winner herself... and he shoots 93% from the stripe...

Without much rhyme or reason to back it up at this point (other than viewing his JUCO stats and video clips), IMO Roti is going to be huge for the Jacks this year. He'll be an outside threat that we haven't had in a while.

Good job, 4460.
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Without much rhyme or reason to back it up at this point (other than viewing his JUCO stats and video clips), IMO Roti is going to be huge for the Jacks this year. He'll be an outside threat that we haven't had in a while.

Good job, 4460.
I asked him so many questions... LOL... Really was recruiting momma to influence her baby to come to Nacogdoches... Young man really seems humble and confident which is great... It was hard to pull words out of him but you could tell when he did speak it was well thought out...Comes from a single mom who works her tail off to provide... Hopefully Roti can now get a degree and who knows what the basketball Gods have in store for him and then one day he wants to be able to help provide for her.. I hope he flourishes with the Lumberjacks...
cboothe09
While I didn't expect much from Niagra, looks like it may be a rough year for the Purple Eagles. Patrick Beilein stepped down as HC today, just 15 days before their season opener against another SFA opponent, Drexel. Former Duke guard Greg Paulus will take over for the season...

If we don't roll some teams coming out of the gates, I will have some red flags...
BigJack85
cboothe09 said:

While I didn't expect much from Niagra, looks like it may be a rough year for the Purple Eagles. Patrick Beilein stepped down as HC today, just 15 days before their season opener against another SFA opponent, Drexel. Former Duke guard Greg Paulus will take over for the season...

If we don't roll some teams coming out of the gates, I will have some red flags...

I agree. We should be well built to have a nice OOC record.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
While I don't disagree, I still think it's important to not be too overconfident or have too high of expectations out of the gate. I get it and I'm as excited as anyone for hoops season, but we've only seen 3 players on this team suit up before. Non-conference games won't make or break the season regardless if a W or an L.

I hope we destroy everyone, but you know me, always try to look at it from multiple angles.
PurpleOut
Staff
I'll get used to them, but gotta be honest, I'm not really digging the new home unis. The white lettering just looks off.

TallTexan
I don't hate the white on white. But that font is super super weird. Tbh, it looks photoshopped on.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

While I don't disagree, I still think it's important to not be too overconfident or have too high of expectations out of the gate. I get it and I'm as excited as anyone for hoops season, but we've only seen 3 players on this team suit up before. Non-conference games won't make or break the season regardless if a W or an L.

I hope we destroy everyone, but you know me, always try to look at it from multiple angles.
Which one did you leave out? Harris, Walker, Bain, or Comeaux?
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

Which one did you leave out? Harris, Walker, Bain, or Comeaux?
Ha, this is what happens when you aren't getting sleep with a new baby. What day is it?
SFASawmillGuy
Those look bad....
TallTexan
They look less bad in person.

I'll try to give an update on the contests/scrimmages when we get back to Palestine.
TallTexan
3 point contest.

We got some shooters on the men's team. Oddyst drained the most, looks like he's been practicing his shot a lot this summer.

Women's team performed well. Vischer hit 20 in 60 seconds, the most out of the men or women.

Dunk contest: Samazha's athleticism is off the charts, he's gonna be a fan favorite. Played up the crowd the whole time.

I forget the other guys name. I'll have to check out the roster, but he's no slouch.

Scrimmage:

Girls team looks good. More new faces than I expected. Riley looks healthy. Only Bri didnt play.

The men's team looks stronger than I think I've ever seen on a Jacks squad and they play like it too.

Kalchyries is a sneaky good passer. Channeling a young Pete Maravich with some passes.

Bain looks healthy. Running the court and threw down a few big dunks.

Gavin is absolutely huge. He should play TE in the NFL after his basketball career is over. He absolutely skyed a ball on one block. I didn't see it land in the gym, probably landed somewhere in DFW.

Samazha plays hard if a little all over the place.

Just an incredibly athletic team. Gavin & Daniels are as tall as advertised.

SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Bain looks healthy. Running the court and threw down a few big dunks.

So, Nate's knee is OK? Every little bit of depth is important.
TallTexan
Sure looked like it.
TallTexan
Also I hate the new double 3 point lines. Court looks a lot cleaner with just 1 line.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rice scrimmage is tomorrow. No injuries, please.
wahlwesle
Demiere was still in a boot. I agree with everything Texan said. I think Daniels May be a sleeper. We haven't heard much about him, but he looks like he's got it and has good court awareness.
wahlwesle
One other things I forgot. Although he shot fairly well, I think Roti's release is pretty slow. I'm afraid he may get blocked a lot.
SFAJack_76
Bain was moving just fine. Brown was wearing a boot. Johnson was the other dunk contestant. He blocked a Harris drive in the scrimmage. Brown isn't as athletic as Hart, but didn't try to do the dramatic as much. Harris shot very good from the three. Perhaps that is some of the NBA feedback he got? Oddyst has grown up in the last few months. His shot was solid. McDaniel did some good stuff, but looked like a freshman. It is hard to tell about Kachelries from this since he played it very much like an exhibition. Lobs, no looks, behind the back, etc.

For the ladies, Harvey looked healthy. Aaliyah Johnson looks even better. Visscher is special. I hope she trusts her three more this year. She has a good one. Mariia looked a bit awkward, although she made one really nice drive for a bucket. Bri and one other did not participate in the scrimmage. One of the new five, I think. Good to see Harris back on the court. She moved well, and isn't wearing a brace. The freshmen generally looked like freshmen. Nugent showed me the most of the group.

Decent crowd given weather and World Series, I suppose.

(We chose to not go sit in the cold rain at the Lufkin game. They blew out Magnolia West anyway.)
No-look
Very athletic and talented group. Gonna be hard to keep Hart off the floor....Size and shooters. Was Solomon hurt. Didn't see him play?
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

Very athletic and talented group. Gonna be hard to keep Hart off the floor....Size and shooters. Was Solomon hurt. Didn't see him play?
I don't recall seeing Solomon play either.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Did any of our walk-ons play (Landon Badgley in particular)? I'm curious to see if Badgley will be able to contribute anything this year. At 6'9" he might see some minutes in spots. Player height is not something that can be developed.
PurpleOut
Staff
Thanks for the reports guys. Still not sure why we didn't broadcast the event, even with a simple Facebook feed. Social media accounts were pretty quiet as well.
wahlwesle
Landon was there, but I don't recall seeing him play. Gabe and Tyler did. I think Tyler hit a three in the scrimmage and had a couple of assists. What I remember of Gabe was a little underwhelming.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Did any of our walk-ons play (Landon Badgley in particular)? I'm curious to see if Badgley will be able to contribute anything this year. At 6'9" he might see some minutes in spots. Player height is not something that can be developed.
Perhaps one of them did. Confident Badgley did not.

A couple more thoughts from last night. With the construction, foot traffic in, out, and around in the colosseum is going to be tough. People will need to be patient, particularly leaving. They are working on a way for folks sitting on the bench side to get to their seats without walking all the way around due to the the new tunnel construction. Some of the older patrons would be very unhappy with the current set up.

Also, I really like seeing sixteen guys suited up. Numbers for practice are much better. Also, guessing we won't have to suit up a manager again like last season.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah we'll definitely need to all be patient. Construction is never fun, but this will be for the better.

Ivey said they are working on ideas for those ticket holders. Maybe we could golf cart some of the older fans on the outside to the side entrances. I've been saying for years that they should be using one or two of those doors for something. Maybe a student entrance.
No-look
Anyone know what time we scrimmage Rice today?
TallTexan
Badgley didn't play in yesterday's scrimmage to my knowledge. I'll say this, if Gavin & Daniels heights are right, Badgley looks taller than 6'9.
wahlwesle
Anybody have a recap of the Rice scrimmage?
No-look
wahlwesle said:

Good question. They're asking the same thing on the Rice forum.
SFA Jack Fanatic
wahlwesle said:

Jacks won by 5. No other info available.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.