2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball

318,752 Views | 1447 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
jboy93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Players Mentioned

#1 Kevon Harris
G/F 6' 6" 215 lbs Freshman
#23 Nathan Bain
F 6' 6" 210 lbs Sophomore
#10 John Comeaux
G 5' 11" 182 lbs Senior 1L
#4 David Kachelries
G 6' 1" 183 lbs Junior TR
#3 Cameron Johnson
G 6' 4" 205 lbs Junior TR
#14 Gavin Kensmil
F 6' 7" 255 lbs Junior TR

This is from the men's basketball website...can we have Kevon for another 3 years and Nate for 2!?!?! Please!
SFAJack_76
jboy93 said:

Players Mentioned

#1 Kevon Harris
#23 Nathan Bain
#10 John Comeaux
#4 David Kachelries
#3 Cameron Johnson
#14 Gavin Kensmil

This is from the men's basketball website...can we have Kevon for another 3 years and Nate for 2!?!?! Please!
Link? What I'm seeing on the web site is accurate.

Edit- never mind. I see it in the game story. The roster is correct.
No-look
Jacks made sports page of USA Today.
TallTexan
jboy93 said:

Players Mentioned

#1 Kevon Harris
#23 Nathan Bain
#10 John Comeaux
#4 David Kachelries
#3 Cameron Johnson
#14 Gavin Kensmil

Shoe in for Freshman all American IMO.
nacluth
Pilotgirl said:

And the rumors/speculation begins:

Well I'm actually staying up by SMU this week, and I now remember how ritzy Uptown/Highland Park is. If the Kellers want to yuck it up with the muckity-mucks, then this is the place to do it.
Pilotgirl
Lol
No-look
Does anyone know if Brown is practicing any? Any word at all on him?
SFA Jack Fanatic
The Athletic has an article about Gavin Kenmil and the Jacks, but it's behind a paywall. "Gavin Kensmil, Stephen F. Austin and the Journey to Secure an NCAA Bid". Does anyone subscribe and perhaps could share it with us?
BigJack85
I don't subscribe.... I did see the article title. I may just subscribe then cancel.
PurpleOut
Staff
Well we won't have the Alumni Association tailgate this weekend. Along with the dorm debacle (still haven't fully seen confirmation that they are open until Sunday), I'm not sure how we messed up the biggest home game up so bad.

But, there WILL be tailgating. The white alumni tent should still be up that they will let us use, and I know a few others coming out. So everyone is still welcome to plan on coming out. Just won't be any sponsored tailgate with food and drinks. Other than whatever I come up with.
cboothe09
As Gavin Kensmil worked his way toward a breakthrough of a basketball season, he occasionally spied the video crew on his junior college campus. They showed up at a few of his games. That was kind of cool, although Kensmil also knew they weren't there for him. They were there to film his cheerleading team, which Kensmil found interesting. He'd met some of the subjects of the future documentary, remembered them from the second summer session, and they seemed nice enough. But he didn't quite get the fuss.

A year later, "Cheer," a six-part documentary on Netflix, has turned the Navarro College cheerleading team into social media stars, Academy Awards red-carpet hosts, New York Fashion Show attendees, "Today" show guests and "Ellen" visitors. The Navarro College Cheer Instagram account counts 505,000 followers and the #navarrocheer hashtag on TikTok includes 49.8 million views. News that Lexi Brumback, who had been kicked off the squad at season's end for possession of illegal substances, was returning to the team for the not yet confirmed Season 2, merited a sit-down interview on "Entertainment Tonight," and the New Yorker and The Atlantic have weighed in on both "Cheer" and the cheerleading phenomena.

Of course, long before Netflix found the team, it was doing just fine. It had won 13 national championships prior to the 2019 season that Netflix chronicled, and five times captured the grand national championship, which means the tiny junior college in Corsicana, Texas, enrollment 9,000, bested all comers, including Division I teams. But there is nothing like the one-two punch of bright lights and seizing the moment, the series showcasing the squad's skills, and its success cementing their legitimacy. (Spoiler: They win the 2019 title.) "As good as they are, I'm not sure anyone was really aware of how good,'' Kensmil says. "Obviously now everyone knows.''

Kensmil could say the same about himself and his current team. After one season at Navarro, Kensmil transferred to Stephen F. Austin, where he is the starting big man on a team that is 26-3, hasn't lost since Jan. 8 and beat Duke at Duke. But like the cheerleaders, the Lumberjacks live in the shadows, succeeding in the low-major world of the Southland Conference, where top-25 votes are impossible to earn and at-large bids improbable to receive. Their chance comes now, in March, when the bright lights of the NCAA Tournament give Stephen F. Austin a chance to shine. "After we beat Duke, I was watching "First Take." It's one of my favorite shows, and Stephen A. Smith was like, Stephen F. Austin? Who are they?'' Kensmil recalls. "Bro, this is what we're up against, and this is when we can show people who we are.''

For most of his childhood, Kensmil fancied himself a soccer player. "It was the love of my life,'' he says. This isn't unusual in Suriname; the sport is king in the small South American country. But at the age of 11, a growth spurt turned the once-fluid soccer player into a gangly mess, his big feet and big build earning him the ridicule of his more agile teammates. Kensmil's worried mother insisted he try something different, so she parked her son in a basketball gym where his size was an advantage. The sport suited him better, but it wasn't going to lead Kensmil anywhere, at least not if he stayed in Suriname. So at the age of 15 he left home, beginning a circuitous route that would include three countries, more than 10,000 miles of travel and enough stops and starts to extinguish the dreams of most people.

Kensmil spent three years in the Canary Islands, playing for the Canarias Basketball Academy, but unable to turn the heads of college coaches, he crisscrossed the North Atlantic to Trinidad for an exposure camp with Caribbean Hoops. That led to what Kensmil thought was his ticket, a chance to play for Division I Iona in 2017-18. Play, however, turned out to be a subjective term. Kensmil logged just 4.6 minutes per game, and unhappy with his limited role, he left Iona for Navarro. "I've been rejected lots of times,'' Kensmil says. "Multiple times, I could have quit but it's like a relationship. Somedays, it's uh-uh, I don't feel this anymore. You have to do it for bigger reasons than yourself. I always believed in myself, and bet on myself every time. I believed I could.''

There is no better explanation for the jump Kensmil made from Iona to Navarro than that. He had more of an opportunity and more playing time, of course, but still the improvement had to come from somewhere deeper than just more touches, because the same player who averaged but 1.1 points and 1.0 rebounds per game at Iona led the Bulldogs in scoring, rebounding and field goal percentage, averaging 14.5 points, 6.5 boards and shooting 69 percent from the floor. Twice he scored 30 points, and five times he posted a double-double. At 6-7, 255 pounds and with two years of eligibility left, the kid who couldn't get a whiff of interest years earlier was more than an intriguing prospect. "I want to help my mother and my sister,'' Kensmil says of his motivation. "And I just believed if you worked at something, you eventually get rewarded.''

Keller is trying to guide SFA to the NCAA Tournament for the second time in four seasons.

It's a 125-mile drive from Nacogdoches to Corsicana, and Kyle Keller happily made the trip to check out Kensmil. Keller is, by any definition, an old-school basketball lifer. He came up in the profession the long way, climbing through his own tenure at the juco level before landing with Eddie Sutton at Oklahoma State. His time there was marked by a tragic twist of fate, Keller opting at the last minute not to fly with the Cowboys home from a game at Colorado in January 2001, giving up the seat to his cousin. Nate Fleming, along with nine other staffers, were killed when the plane crashed. Keller remained in Stillwater when Sean Sutton took over, moving on to Kansas to work with Bill Self after Sutton was let go. Three years later he joined Billy Kennedy at Texas A&M, and when Brad Underwood left Stephen F. Austin for Oklahoma State in 2016, he finally got his first swing at a D-1 head gig. He was 48 years old.

From his own run up the ranks, Keller understood that SFA couldn't be built or maintained like programs at his more glamorous stops, at least not if the Lumberjacks wanted to be successful. He needed older guys to complement the ones he wanted to grow on his own, and his current roster, with six junior college transfers and a former D-2 player, exemplifies his plan. One of his assistants, Jeremy Cox, saw Kensmil first, comparing him to T.J. Holyfield, who transferred two years earlier from SFA to Texas Tech. "Smart defender, commands the low post, really good hands,'' Keller says. "He was the perfect high-low player for us.''

Except Kensmil wasn't sold. He turned Keller down three times, hoping he could find a more high-profile landing spot. "Eventually I did my research and realized that it's a low-major conference but a really good mid-major team,'' Kensmil says. And the player who spent so much of his career waiting to be noticed also realized that, like Navarro's cheerleading team, it wasn't about where he played, but what he did with the chance.

On the Friday after Thanksgiving, Keller called his seniors together before a pre-practice meeting. He explained that the Lumberjacks' future essentially was in their hands, that they would dictate how the season played out. Three days earlier, Stephen F. Austin pulled off arguably the most stunning upset in decades, becoming the first non-ACC team in 20 years to beat Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium. The Lumberjacks suddenly went from nowhere to everywhere. Nate Bain, who scored the buzzer-beating layup in overtime, saw a dormant GoFundMe created for his family after it lost everything in Hurricane Dorian, surge with donations, and the players' social media requests dinged endlessly on the phones.

But on that Friday morning, Keller could see his players were exhausted, emotionally drained and mentally spent. When the meeting ended, he wasn't entirely sure what to expect in the Lumberjacks' next game.
They beat Arkansas State by 17. "We took 16 charges in that game,'' Keller says. "That's who we are. We definitely gained a lot of confidence in beating Duke, but that game against Arkansas State, that propelled us to where we are.'' Kensmil figures largely in that identity. Keller says he is "our Doke,'' likening Kensmil's importance to that of Udoka Azubuike at Kansas. Constantly drawing extra attention in the low post, Kensmil is able to kick the ball to open shooters if he can't win on the blocks. He admits the extra attention took some getting used to, especially since it has meant some of his numbers (11.6 points and 6.8 boards) are slightly less gaudy than they were at Navarro, though his assists (1.9) are up. "Coach always tells us there are no jealous stars,'' Kensmil says. "It's really easy to get caught up in the I'm a scorer, but it takes really mature players to understand what it takes to win. Winning is our priority, so you put your egos aside.''

Neither Kensmil nor Keller, however, is kidding himself. What Stephen F. Austin has done this season, while special, will equate to shouting into the wind if it doesn't win the Southland Conference tournament. (As the No. 1 seed, SFA will have to win two games to secure the automatic bid.) Although our Ken Pomeroy recently built a strong case for an at-large bid for the Lumberjacks, they know that's not likely. "We don't even talk about it,'' says Keller. "All of this is null and void if we don't make the NCAA Tournament.''

That, Kensmil thinks, sounds an awful lot like what the Navarro cheerleading team went through in "Cheer." The show's tension centered on the squad trying to master an insanely intricate and dangerous pyramid required to win yet another national title. The girls failed in practice repeatedly but when the pressure was on, they hit the routine to near perfection. "Beating Duke, I mean, of course that was a big deal for us. We're a bunch of junior college guys,'' Kensmil says. "But right now, it's do or die. That win doesn't matter. Our record doesn't matter. Nothing else matters. We know we're a good team. We just have to do it.''
SFAJack_76
Kensmil was a guest on one of the recent radio shows. Keller said that he normally doesn't ask a recruit more than three times, but he went back to Gavin one more time and he said yes.
djsfw57
cboothe09 thank you for posting the article. Very interesting. Can't wait to see what happens in the next few weeks.
CertifiedAxeman98
No-look said:

It would seem that since he has not played all year long that you would just try and red shirt him if you can for medical reasons. That way in 2021 you only have 5 of the 6 JUCO guys you brought in this year to replace. At this point since he has not played then it wouldn't make since to try and play him more than in garbage time.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Thanks for posting, 09. Good article. (More cheerleading info than I needed to see, but still....)
SFA Jack Fanatic
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

No-look said:

We still need an answer as to whether he has been practicing with the Jacks.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Got word from a reliable source that both Brown and McDaniel are practicing with the Jacks.

The same source said that it's impossible to determine if they (or anyone else, in reality) will be with the team next year since they are part of the "transfer generation".
jboy93
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Got word from a reliable source that both Brown and McDaniel are practicing with the Jacks.

The same source said that it's impossible to determine if they (or anyone else, in reality) will be with the team next year since they are part of the "transfer generation".

I just can't help but believe that these kids see that they can be a part of something special here at SFA! I guess winning has lost a little bit to the "me" generation though...
purpleballs
There is a good chance Mrs. Purpleballs and little purpleballs might come down for Saturdays game. Havent been to a home game since i was there, which has been over 25 years. Im assuming i should be ok just walking up to the ticket counter there at the coliseum? And if so what should i expect to pay for GA. Or should i look into getting tickets online somewhere? And would anyone know if THSCA card is good for a ticket or 2?
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Well we won't have the Alumni Association tailgate this weekend. Along with the dorm debacle (still haven't fully seen confirmation that they are open until Sunday), I'm not sure how we messed up the biggest home game up so bad.

But, there WILL be tailgating. The white alumni tent should still be up that they will let us use, and I know a few others coming out. So everyone is still welcome to plan on coming out. Just won't be any sponsored tailgate with food and drinks. Other than whatever I come up with.
Man we really dropped the ball on this weekend.
TallTexan
purpleballs said:

There is a good chance Mrs. Purpleballs and little purpleballs might come down for Saturdays game. Havent been to a home game since i was there, which has been over 25 years. Im assuming i should be ok just walking up to the ticket counter there at the coliseum? And if so what should i expect to pay for GA. Or should i look into getting tickets online somewhere? And would anyone know if THSCA card is good for a ticket or 2?
I'd be surprised if it's a sellout. You ought to be able to get tickets, but show up early for the women's game & you'll definitely be good.

Also, check out the transfer thread, someone may have a few.
SFA Jack Fanatic
purpleballs said:

Good to hear! Purpleballs of all shapes and sizes are welcome and needed. GA tickets will be readily available. I'm not sure about the price for GA tix, but definitely less than $10. I doubt seriously that the coaches' card will work.
purpleballs
Thanks for the responses
djsfw57
From ESPN this morning:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28577356/ncaa-tournament-bubble-watch-updated-look-wildest-bubble-years

Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks

The mock brackets might not be listening, but the Lumberjacks really want to keep this conversation alive. Kyle Keller's group won a tough road test at Abilene Christian (the Wildcats entered the evening 14-4 in Southland play), and now SFA, with a win at home over Sam Houston State, can finish the season 28-3. The team's NET ranking is down in the dismal 70s, which isn't proving to be a deal-breaker for UCLA. The Jacks beat Duke at Duke. Worst of all, from the committee's point of view, SFA's number for strength of record (top 50) is at odds with its NET ranking. As they say at NASA, is this an instrument problem?
sfa17
So our SOR (Strength of Resume) is 43 but our SOS(Strength of Schedule) 332. So many different metrics that contradict each other.

Does any one know the difference between SOR and SOS? Looks like committee and most people use SOS

Our SOR is higher than teams like Arizona, Purdue, Texas Tech, UCLA and etc

Edit : most people use SOS
nacluth
I'll try to keep it simple but here's the breakdown.

SOS (Strength of Schedule): It's a fairly simple metric.

1.) Take all the teams you have played and then take the average of their rankings (NET or KP or whatever).

2.) Compare that average number against every other team. For KP this is currently 339 - mainly because the Southland is so bad.

SOR (Strength of Record): More complicated to figure, but fairly easy concept.

1.) Take a hypothetical team and assign them a schedule of your choice.

2.) What would be the hypothetical team's expected efficiency for any W/L record? (This is like saying how good would a random team be to win all the games your team has won.)

3.) Calculate the hypothetical team's efficiency for every team just based off of W/L for every team's schedule. Rank teams accordingly.

SOR is a mathematical twist where you essentially build an average team and run them through everyone's actual schedules addressing road/home games. You then find out what the average efficiency rating (ie KP) is to win different amount of games. Whatever the hypothetical team's projected efficiency is to go say 27-3 with SFA's schedule compared to 9-20 with K-State's schedule is how you rank the numbers.

It's not perfect, but it's the closest thing to see what people have actually done, not what a computer says they should do.
sfa17
nacluth said:

I'll try to keep it simple but here's the breakdown.

SOS (Strength of Schedule): It's a fairly simple metric.

1.) Take all the teams you have played and then take the average of their rankings (NET or KP or whatever).

2.) Compare that average number against every other team. For KP this is currently 339 - mainly because the Southland is so bad.

SOR (Strength of Record): More complicated to figure, but fairly easy concept.

1.) Take a hypothetical team and assign them a schedule of your choice.

2.) What would be the hypothetical team's expected efficiency for any W/L record? (This is like saying how good would a random team be to win all the games your team has won.)

3.) Calculate the hypothetical team's efficiency for every team just based off of W/L for every team's schedule. Rank teams accordingly.

SOR is a mathematical twist where you essentially build an average team and run them through everyone's actual schedules addressing road/home games. You then find out what the average efficiency rating (ie KP) is to win different amount of games. Whatever the hypothetical team's projected efficiency is to go say 27-3 with SFA's schedule compared to 9-20 with K-State's schedule is how you rank the numbers.

It's not perfect, but it's the closest thing to see what people have actually done, not what a computer says they should do.
Wow thanks,SOR sounds way more fair and reliable (my unbiased opinion )
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85
purpleballs
Seems like the perfect time for her or his first game.
PurpleOut
Staff
Flash sale for tickets at 8:30 AM tomorrow, GA seats will be $4.
BigJack85
purpleballs said:

Seems like the perfect time for her or his first game.
Totally agree... also have a 7 year old to manage PaPa has his hands full!!!!
purpleballs
Where might someone find these tickets online?
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Hey Sawmill people. Headed to Nacogdoches Saturday for the game. My Lumberjack fan daughter wants to come BUT she has a 5 month old that needs watching from approximately 3PM-7PM. Does anyone have a lead on a reliable young SFA fan that would be interested..... ? Willing to pay of course.
Might ask Tom at the Wesley foundation if any of their student's babysit.
SFAJack_76
purpleballs said:

Where might someone find these tickets online?
http://l.paciolanmail.com/rts/go2.aspx?h=4737&tp=i-1NGB-Gi-6T-1shi-23-4Hx-1c-1oXx-l4KmQwdmsu-GQIUV

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.