2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball

319,507 Views | 1447 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
wahlwesle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MasterAxe said:

Multi-level response to John's tweet based solely on reckless speculation (which we all excel at.)

True, but the forums have been slow the last couple of days, so.
Rev007
I certainly don't want John to leave, but I figured it probably was going to be him and possibly Pope that are not going to be with us next year. John is such an outstanding person. We need more guys with his type of character on our team.

However, you just don't bring that many additional guards to a team unless wholesale changes are being made.
Pilotgirl
John knows we love him

purplitis72
How do you know that it's not Seraille that's departing instead of Pope not becoming eligible? I still think that Seraille is likely to be on the bubble. I assumed that one of the departures would be a guard, but didn't know if it would be John or Oddyst. I think that Keller over signed knowing that he might be faced with a tough decision about who to let go. It is still a mystery with not many clues. I suspect that Coach Keller was faced with confronting John and asking him if he thought he could play at this point. He probably told John that if he chose to stay he would have to send Oddyst to a J.C. It's a tough decision for John because he doesn't want to let the team down if he's injured again. We know John loves to play.
SFA Jack Fanatic
purplitis72 said:

How do you know that it's not Seraille that's departing instead of Pope not becoming eligible? I still think that Seraille is likely to be on the bubble. I assumed that one of the departures would be a guard, but didn't know if it would be John or Oddyst. I think that Keller over signed knowing that he might be faced with a tough decision about who to let go. It is still a mystery with not many clues. I suspect that Coach Keller was faced with confronting John and asking him if he thought he could play at this point. He probably told John that if he chose to stay he would have to send Oddyst to a J.C. It's a tough decision for John because he doesn't want to let the team down if he's injured again. We know John loves to play.

Ever thought about writing a novel?
CertifiedAxeman98
Everyone is really interested in seeing how things shake out with 2 more than our 13 scholarships. I am ready for the fall to get here so we have a clearer picture of what this team is going to be on the court and also ready for some football.
purplitis72
Would you buy a copy if I did Jack Fanatic? Have you ever read a book?
Rev007
I think Seraille is probably getting pressured to follow Jock, but I also think we would have signed more low post players if Coach Keller thinks Seraille is leaving.
No-look
TallTexan said:

John was the catalyst for a few of our comebacks last year. If he has to hang it up, I'm gonna miss him on the court.
I can think of several games his hustle and grit won some games for us. The ACU home comeback and the finals last year at Katy is just a couple one that immediately come to mind.
purplitis72
007, don't forget that Pope is also an inside presence as is Hart.
No-look
Last year Pope was the #2 player in Louisiana. Wonder where he is ranked this year?
No-look
NOOOO
SFAJack_76
If he signed with an agent, he is not maintaining his NCAA eligibility. (This was wrong.)

Edit: The rule was changed so that even if they sign with an agent, they can withdraw from the draft if they do so by 11:59 PM May 29.

Actually, exploring where he stands makes sense. I don't think he is draft ready, but I don't know.
No-look
Dat gum it... well the picture is getting more clear.
MasterAxe
I'm sorry, Kevon is making a bad choice and/or is getting some bad advice. Zero chance he gets drafted.

Our team next year is devoid of any actual talent.

By that, I mean people we've actually seen play at a high level.

Is the culture that bad that nearly EVERYONE is leaving/exploring options to leave?
SFAJack_76
All, please note my edit above on my post.
Pilotgirl
I already had cake or I would eat some of my feelings. I had just gotten over the loss of TJ. IMO Kevon is beast, but not NBA draft ready. I mean, we had Walkup receive national attention, make a huge run & was G league. To me, TJ is more well known. I wish him the best irregardless.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Edit: The rule was changed so that even if they sign with an agent, they can withdraw from the draft if they do so by 11:59 PM May 29.

Actually, exploring where he stands makes sense. I don't think he is draft ready, but I don't know.
I actually like this move by Kevon. Let's him get advice from the NBA level scouts to know what he needs to work on to get his best shot next year.

Plus, it should get a decent amount of press for our program. This is where we want our guys to be, competing for a shot at the next level.

98% chance he'll be back at SFA, but if not, it means we likely have a first round draft pick on our hands.
MasterAxe
Whelp, if your Pro-Keller, this is great news. Got a built in excuse for next year:

"We lost all our good players to being kicked off, transferring, graduation or leaving. No way you can expect him to win with 10 new players."

Even if he doesn't leave, he's already thinking about it.
Rev007
All five starting positions are now open for competition. Sorry to see Kevon declare for the draft, but as someone posted, he has the option to withdraw his name and play out his senior year. However, does that mean he would be a non-scholarship player if he returns?
TallTexan
Take a breath guys. Pretty great shot that Kevon is going to be back. And if he's not, it likely means we've got a true NBA player on our hands. That would be huge!

Near certainty that he's going to get a draft assessment, work on his game over the summer, & finish his senior year. This could give him a much better chance in 2020.
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

Take a breath guys. Pretty great shot that Kevon is going to be back. And if he's not, it likely means we've got a true NBA player on our hands. That would be huge!

Near certainty that he's going to get a draft assessment, work on his game over the summer, & finish his senior year. This could give him a much better chance in 2020.

You're not concerned at all that he clearly wants to leave? He's sure as heck thinking about it.

Just concerned about the culture. Players would rather leave and be un-drafted, than stay and play for Keller.

Even if he comes back, where is his mind?
TallTexan
Rev007 said:

All five starting positions are now open for competition. Sorry to see Kevon declare for the draft, but as someone posted, he has the option to withdraw his name and play out his senior year. However, does that mean he would be a non-scholarship player if he returns?
He could choose to be non-scholarship. However, they're nearly always scholarship players. Declaring for the draft does not preclude them from being Scholarship players.
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterAxe said:

Whelp, if your Pro-Keller, this is great news. Got a built in excuse for next year:

"We lost all our good players to being kicked off, transferring, graduation or leaving. No way you can expect him to win with 10 new players."

I'm pro-Keller and this is not great news. It's OK to criticize Keller, but please don't take pot shots at those of us who disagree with you.
Pilotgirl
Nicely put Fanatic. Im pro-whatever is best for SFA. I think we've all agreed that Keller is on watch and this next season will be very telling about his future here.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

TallTexan said:

You're not concerned at all that he clearly wants to leave? He's sure as heck thinking about it.

Just concerned about the culture. Players would rather leave and be un-drafted, than stay and play for Keller.

Even if he comes back, where is his mind?
This is a really common scenario. NBA drafts 60 players. There 110 "declarees" as of 3 days ago. A lot of those guys are coming back.

This happens all the time at Power 5 schools. I'm not concerned in the slightest.

Players who have eligibility remaining do this every year. It'd be like if you could go to the NFL combine & come back to school. It lets you know how you stack up.

Of course he clearly wants to go. It's the NBA! He's a Senior in 3 weeks. He's starting to look at careers. This is one he might be qualified for & he wants to see if that's the case.

If he gets a 2nd round or undrafted grade, he'll be back to work on his game.
MasterAxe
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

MasterAxe said:

I'm pro-Keller and this is not great news. It's OK to criticize Keller, but please don't take pot shots at those of us who disagree with you.

I'm sorry you're offended. It was my understanding that all opinions were valued here. Guess not, as you consider mine as some sort of attack, simply cause we disagree.

But, I guarantee this is the excuse that will be used as soon as we lose.

I'm concerned about our program. I don't think it's a great sign that a player who has ZERO chance at being selected would rather go un-drafted than stay.

Even if he comes back, what's his mindset? How about the first time Keller plays him 39 minutes a game in Meaningless preseason games (you know, like this year)?

It's like my wife saying "I know we're married, but I'd like to explore other men. If I like it, see ya! If not, you're always my backup plan."

The turnover in players is alarming, to me.

If you think it's good, I respect your opinion, but would wholeheartedly disagree.
SFAJack_76
Rev007
Pro Keller or not, 2019-2020 is going to be a transitional year with all the new players. Without Kevon, the upcoming season is going to be a bit more difficult. However, the Southland Conference is not the SEC or the ACC. We can still win and be competitive, especially when considering that our JUCO transfers all have two years of experience at the college level.

Personally, I'm excited about the influx of talent. Whether they jell quickly or it takes another year, they certainly will be more entertaining to watch than last year's team.
SFAJack_76
Kudos to the athletic department in how this has been communicated. TJ transferring was not handled well at all. With Kevon, they let him get his announcement out first. Then, followed with Keller's message. Since yesterday was the last day to declare, this clearly was not a decision that was easily made.
sfa17
99 percent of the 1st and 2nd round players are already decided. Check every single mock draft on the internet. They all have the same players but in different order. Mock drafts are usually accurate, So it's probably between SFA and NCAA or G-League(which will still be a option next season) plus a college degree.
sfa17
Pilotgirl said:

Nicely put Fanatic. Im pro-whatever is best for SFA. I think we've all agreed that Keller is on watch and this next season will be very telling about his future here.
agree 100 percent.
RedRiverLa
''Tis the season of over analyzing and wrongly predetermining what kind of year it's going to be on April 22. Never has there been a period in sports where last to first can happen (or 8th to 1st). Kevon's declaration is common in college basketball. We're talking about him 'interviewing' for his job after college. Pretty smart actually. It has nothing to do with us being a last option for him. Master Axe, it would be like you telling your wife you were only going to be married for four years and then you're done. By the end of the third year, she'd be looking around to prepare for the end of the fourth year and she might as well contact Brad Pitt to see if he was interested.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
TallTexan
FWIW, the NBA likely has the best pre-draft process that is "pro players". You can get real advice & still come back. It's what the NFL should do with Juniors.

PurpleOut
Staff
The new rule of letting kids sign with an NCAA agent (which is strange to say) is fantastic in my opinion. I have no problem with anyone declaring and testing the water. Getting to work out and talk to teams is a once in a lifetime opportunity for him to get better, regardless of where he plays next season. I had heard some rumblings that this might happen, but it got so late I thought it wasn't true. Good luck to Kevon, I hope we see him back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.