2019-2020 Lumberjack Basketball

315,330 Views | 1447 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This season is not over, but I think it is always okay to be looking forward. There is a lot of next year discussion getting scattered about in other threads. Makes sense to me to gather it here.
TallTexan
Final 4 next year! Book it now!
No-look
Hhttps://bit.ly/2zaCuIX. I like what their coaches had to say about them.
TheRevSFA
I hope to see us return to where we should be, top 3 in conference and we don't lose to Sam or NW State.
nacluth
Banner year or bust year? I'm leaning toward the former.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Banner year or bust year? I'm leaning toward the former.

Give me Oddyst, Kevon,, Mitch, TJ and unnamed Juco PG with Nate and Jock being 6 and 7 off the bench with Sammi doing mop up duty and I would wholeheartedly agree with success.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
migata33
I honestly don't see how next year can be any worse than this year...you have 2 really good forwards coming in as freshman next year that already have played together on select teams in Pope and Hart. Hughes and Seraille have a year in and I expect Hughes to be in better shape and understand how to create offense after watching both Harris and Bogues for a year. Seraille should also be better with a year under his belt. There is gonna be a JUCO guard coming in...that has to happen and that guy should be competent which we are clearly not right now. Your not losing anyone of value other than Bogues. TJ?...who knows dudes mouth is in lock down which to me means 'im out and not causing waves for now but later!' Fitzgerald...He mentally checked out a couple of weeks ago..don't let the door hit your ass on the way out! Jovan...lol! He got a education and I hope he enjoys his life in retail.... So what do we have

Harris...master of disaster...domination and SLC player of the year
Comeaux....nice guy....try not to dribble the ball off your feet
Walker....don't know enough yet. God forbid Keller play him more to see what is there!
Bain....he is solid and undervalued honestly
Neiminen....ugh...yeah...thanks...get your 5 fouls in 10 minutes and enjoy the view from the bench
Ruiz and Cole...practice squad...your not getting scholarship's so thanks for helping out!

Add in the aforementioned peeps in paragraph one and to me on paper for the simple fact the freshman are older and the new freshman look solid and a real honest living PG who is not a wing but a PG and can pass and probably shoot...well that may be asking too much!...how can we be worse. Goodnight now!
SFAJack_76
One thing that I hope pays off is the MBB S&C coach added in August. He gets the team through the offseason.

https://sfajacks.com/news/2018/9/18/mens-basketball-dukquits-added-to-sfas-strength-conditioning-staff.aspx?path=general
BigJack85
I think Oddyst could develop into your 2,,, maybe play a little three. I'm not so certain TJ is gone but I wouldn't bet against it. Juco point guard is the key to all of this. We've got enough at 2, 3 and 4 if the predicted players return. We could run a 2 guards with a small wing and still be bigger than 8 or 9 SLC teams.
SFAJack_76
Migata, agree on a lot with a few exceptions.

I don't think Fitzgerald has checked out mentally. He wants to score and tolerates defense. That is what he has been all season. I didn't see the NSU game,but that is who I saw six days ago.

I don't believe TJ's lack of comment means he is gone. As does any soon to be college graduate, he has options. Frankly, shame on him if he does not test what might be there.

Jovan has not panned out as an on the court contributor. Your comment about his future is unfortunate. Dude is smart and will have plenty of opportunity to be successful in whatever he chooses to do whether in the US or back home in Serbia.

And, I suppose I will always be defensive of Comeaux. Six surgeries later, and he is giving all he has for this team. His on ball defense the last five minutes of the McNeese game was the difference.
No-look
Honestly I appreciate all our players and each brings stuff to the table. They want to win as bad as we want to win. Win or lose they are my guys.
migata33
SFAJack_76 said:

I don't think Fitzgerald has checked out mentally. He wants to score and tolerates defense. That is what he has been all season. I didn't see the NSU game,but that is who I saw six days ago.

I don't believe TJ's lack of comment means he is gone. As does any soon to be college graduate, he has options. Frankly, shame on him if he does not test what might be there.

Jovan has not panned out as an on the court contributor. Your comment about his future is unfortunate. Dude is smart and will have plenty of opportunity to be successful in whatever he chooses to do whether in the US or back home in Serbia.

And, I suppose I will always be defensive of Comeaux. Six surgeries later, and he is giving all he has for this team. His on ball defense the last five minutes of the McNeese game was the difference.
I say a lot in jest and try to have a good time. If you take that as mean I am sorry. Jovan is 7 feet tall and plays in the SLC..not the Big 10...not ACC...not even WAC and he cant break the starting line up in 4 years? Either Underwood or Keller are missing something or he is not a credit to the NCAA game. I wish him well in the future and here is the snippit from his SFA MBB page concerning his career Statistics:

Grujic's Career Statistics

Loading...(still waiting it appears..im not making this up)(https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=145)

He is smart....has all his teeth and could possibly play or coach back home in Serbia...God bless

Comeaux is one tough hombre and a credit to his will and determination to come back. He is not however the answer to PG. Can eat minutes as an off the bench contributor and if he chooses can be an excellent leader and teacher to the next man up. Good dude!

Fitz last 3 games

@ NW 12 min 1 foul 2 points
vs Mcneese 21 min 4 rebound 2 assists 4 fouls 14 points
vs Lamar 21 min 2 rebounds 2 blocks 5 fouls 9 points.

Maybe im crazy but a former P5 player who is 6'8 225 might be a little better than that if they were engaged. Could be wrong and if I am sorry.

I appreciate your comments and your passion and best to you always 76! Go Jacks!
migata33
migata33 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

hmmm...website not working now of coarse...must have been a alternate web universe...sorry Please all feel free to call me names and guess my IQ..its average btw like my looks

Cheers!
BigJack85
migata33 said:

migata33 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

hmmm...website not working now of coarse...must have been a alternate web universe...sorry Please all feel free to call me names and guess my IQ..its average btw like my looks

Cheers!

It's all good by me We should be comfortable making comments along as it's not nasty. Mean. Joking is good.
CertifiedAxeman98
What I see as a must for next year:

Recruiting: Guard, Guards and more Guards. Guards that can shoot and play D. Make sure you have a process in place where you can judge character and vet out issues that might lead to a player having to leave the team.

Coaching: Hire a defensive coach that spends all day showing the team how to guard the perimeter and stop backdoor cuts. Clearly this coaching staff cannot coach those 2 areas or they would have fixed it by now. Anyone that has seen an SFA game knows you beat us by shooting uncontested 3s and making backdoor cuts and then play good tight D on Harris and Bogues. Back to a HAVOC/Press Virginia defense (you need to have some guys on the bench to actually do that though) and back to getting steals and forcing turnovers (not giving them up). The amount of turnovers this team had was ridiculous. And someone that knows how teach these guys to rebound better (positioning).

Other: Figure out how to keep guys from getting hurt. If they are not on the floor it doesn't matter how good you are. You can't go into the season without a point guard or you best forward and expect to be anything more than middle of the road. What a mess of a season and it all started with injuries. They lost several key pieces from the previous year but without a PG or TJ this year started so poorly they never recovered especially as more injuries added to the mess. You expect some injuries but the number of injuries that occurred this year outside of game play was unbelievable. Dukquits needs to earn his paycheck and work with the coaching staff and players to ensure that we have a basketball team not an infirmary. We can't play with 8 or fewer scholarship players and expect to be competitive.

Keller's seat is warming up. A turn around next year is a must for him considering the amount of money that is being poured into the basketball facilities.
TallTexan
This season might have been a disappointment so far. But Saturday is still Senior night, still Sam Houston, & still our house!

Time to put together a complete game and come out swinging!
RedRiverLa
TallTexan said:

This season might have been a disappointment so far. But Saturday is still Senior night, still Sam Houston, & still our house!

Time to put together a complete game and come out swinging!
I'll be there honoring the seniors, coaching the team, and berating the officiating from section 107, respectfully and considerate of those around me, of course. Or, I may be at the concession stand a lot - really haven't decided on a gameplan, yet. But rest assured, I will give 100% either way. AxeEm Jacks!
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
Rev007
I totally agree with your comments regarding the lack of defense. It's inexplicable how we leave good shooters unguarded on the 3 point line. How can this happen the whole season? Half of our guys can't shoot. If you can't shoot, you'd better be playing great defense. Why else would you be allowed on a college basketball team? Ditto for back door cuts...who keeps leaving their man?
CertifiedAxeman98
Rev007 said:

I totally agree with your comments regarding the lack of defense. It's inexplicable how we leave good shooters unguarded on the 3 point line. How can this happen the whole season? Half of our guys can't shoot. If you can't shoot, you'd better be playing great defense. Why else would you be allowed on a college basketball team? Ditto for back door cuts...who keeps leaving their man?
So frustrating to watch game after game. I lean toward what my 13 years old son says. He has been to or watched about as many SFA games as me. He says they play way too much help defense they leave their man to help out another guy and when that happens they leave a guy wide open on the 3 or allow him to cut backdoor. It is great to trap guys every now and then especially near half court but to use it the whole game any where on the court is not working.
SFAJack_76
And, into the off season we go. For most of us, hope springs eternal. For some, the apocalypse is nigh.

Regardless, the next 60-90 days should be very interesting. Who returns? Who is added? Both players and staff. I like the two signees and the new commitment. A lot.

Personally, I am generally optimistic. I know in Ivey, we have an outstanding, driven, leader. Although his plate is really full, he knows how important basketball is to the university. I trust him.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

And, into the off season we go. For most of us, hope springs eternal. For some, the apocalypse is nigh.

Regardless, the next 60-90 days should be very interesting. Who returns? Who is added? Both players and staff. I like the two signees and the new commitment. A lot.

Personally, I am generally optimistic. I know in Ivey, we have an outstanding, driven, leader. Although his plate is really full, he knows how important basketball is to the university. I trust him.

I am with you 76..
BigJack85
I'm not seeing apocalypse but I don't see a big turnaround. If we get TJ back that's worth a few games. A great Juco point guard might be worth a couple game improvement. My point is if all the holes are plugged new ones will emerge. Someone noted the next 30-60 days will tell a lot. I agree. I also think that set of non- conference games in early December will be a beacon.

I'm eager to see ....
SFAJack_76
Oddyst is on board!
cboothe09
Right now I see just one person transferring (Not TJ). Obviously I have no clue as to who and what everyone is thinking, but I think having some time to decompress after the season has given players a chance to sit back and move past this year's frustrations and use it as motivation going forward.
I think a good offseason to just get healthy will be huge. Not only will the young guys have a full year of experience under the belt, but we should be healthy.
John for instance could use the time. He is what? Nine months removed from a surgery that takes 9 months to a year to fully heal from. I expect a much more explosive version next season. The version we saw a year ago.
I do think as time goes by and looking at how we are recruiting, the likelihood of Aaron returning, a la Leon Gilmore, is drastically declining. I would love to see him back and anchor the backcourt, but just not sure that happens.
I see a breakout year from Oddyst coming. I think a lineup with him and John on defense will give opponents fits. That duo should help keep opposing guards from driving the lane and kicking out for three pointers.
We will have to find more offense, especially with Shannon leaving, but getting another year of Kevon is a nice cornerstone to build on.
TallTexan
With our new S&C guy, maybe we can get Samuli back healthy. The right S&C program can help areas of weakness.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Personally, if we don't have at least three or four players transferring, then I'll be very disappointed.

Whether we like to admit it or not, we had two studs and several mediocre (at best) D-1 level players this year. Do we really want all of those mediocre players back next year? Not me. They may be "likeable" guys and familiar faces, but they're not the level of players that'll get us back to the Big Dance. Admit it. I want to bring in some new blood. Some D-1 level guys with some fire in their bellies. I saw very little of that this year. SFA MBB must never be satisfied with mediocrity!
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

With our new S&C guy, maybe we can get Samuli back healthy. The right S&C program can help areas of weakness.
About Samuli, really, Texan? Will a healthy but non-aggressive and gun-shy Samuli actually be able to do anything more than set picks? Uh, I don't think so. He probably set an NCAA record for the most picks set that resulted in the fewest points scored. This may sound harsh, but I hope he's one of the first to transfer out.
BigJack85
cboothe09 said:

Right now I see just one person transferring (Not TJ). Obviously I have no clue as to who and what everyone is thinking, but I think having some time to decompress after the season has given players a chance to sit back and move past this year's frustrations and use it as motivation going forward.
I think a good offseason to just get healthy will be huge. Not only will the young guys have a full year of experience under the belt, but we should be healthy.
John for instance could use the time. He is what? Nine months removed from a surgery that takes 9 months to a year to fully heal from. I expect a much more explosive version next season. The version we saw a year ago.
I do think as time goes by and looking at how we are recruiting, the likelihood of Aaron returning, a la Leon Gilmore, is drastically declining. I would love to see him back and anchor the backcourt, but just not sure that happens.
I see a breakout year from Oddyst coming. I think a lineup with him and John on defense will give opponents fits. That duo should help keep opposing guards from driving the lane and kicking out for three pointers.
We will have to find more offense, especially with Shannon leaving, but getting another year of Kevon is a nice cornerstone to build on.

When you begin putting together a starting line-up for 2019/2020 TJ is a pretty big piece. Frankly, you take TJ + Kevon + Kalcheries (sp?) and you have a pretty good start. It still needs a lot of fine tuning but 9 or 10 SLC cocaches would love this opportunity...
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

About Samuli, really, Texan? Will a healthy but non-aggressive and gun-shy Samuli actually be able to do anything more than set picks? Uh, I don't think so. He probably set an NCAA record for the most picks set that resulted in the fewest points scored. This may sound harsh, but I hope he's one of the first to transfer out.

I definitely don't think he's leaving as a junior, so get him some super soldier serum, let Imani teach him how to set picks, and voil , a serviceable forward.
No-look
This season roll players were asked to perform starting positions. And injuries plagued some all year. I think Jock got a raw deal with the broke fingers. Mitch and Oddest showed great improvement as freshmen. I see good things ahead especially with recruiting class. We have to get in the position where we don't have to depend on backups to carry the load.
BigJack85
Good point regarding role players. I think we've got to have a solid starting five and then build. Watched the SFA vs VCU game again. One comment that the announcer made during the game was that Brad Underwood used the same starting lineup for 31 of the 33 games......... boy would that be nice. Especially if we were good.
cboothe09
Waaay too early starting lineup:
PG - Kachelries - Jr
SG - Walker - So
G/F - Harris - Sr
PF - Seraile - So
PF - Holyfield - Sr

First off bench: Comeaux; Bain;

We do need more depth to be developed because that is about it for right now. If Hughes comes back he will be a valuable part of the rotation. Pope and Hart will have to earn their minutes, be patient, and make the most of their time on the court. Obviously this can all change with what happens with recruiting over the next month...
BigJack85
cboothe09 said:

Waaay too early starting lineup:
PG - Kachelries - Jr
SG - Walker - So
G/F - Harris - Sr
PF - Seraile - So
PF - Holyfield - Sr

First off bench: Comeaux; Bain;

We do need more depth to be developed because that is about it for right now. If Hughes comes back he will be a valuable part of the rotation. Pope and Hart will have to earn their minutes, be patient, and make the most of their time on the court. Obviously this can all change with what happens with recruiting over the next month...

I like it. A lot.
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Personally, if we don't have at least three or four players transferring, then I'll be very disappointed.

Whether we like to admit it or not, we had two studs and several mediocre (at best) D-1 level players this year. Do we really want all of those mediocre players back next year? Not me. They may be "likeable" guys and familiar faces, but they're not the level of players that'll get us back to the Big Dance. Admit it. I want to bring in some new blood. Some D-1 level guys with some fire in their bellies. I saw very little of that this year. SFA MBB must never be satisfied with mediocrity!
Great post!!! Feel the same... I am told TJ is gone too and its not a secret because the kids know it... I dont think TJ is gone until I hear it from him myself,,,
cboothe09
I left TJ on because I'm assuming for now he will be back. If that changes, that really changes the dynamic of the team. That pushes either Bain, Hart, or a JUCO into the starting lineup.

As for a few transfers, I'm wondering who would leave?

Our current returners are:
Kevon Harris - Sr - 17.8 ppg; 6.5 reb;
Jock Hughes - So - 2.3 ppg; 1.1 reb;
Mitch Seraille - So - 4.1 ppg; 4.3 reb
John Comeaux - Sr - 5.4 ppg; 2.3 reb
Oddyst Walker - So - 1.6 ppg; 0.9 reb
Rance Cole - Sr - 1.8 ppg; 0.2 reb
TJ Holyfield - Sr - 12.9 ppg; 6.4 reb; 0.9 assist; 1.3 blocks; 1.1 steals *2017-2018
Nathan Bain - Sr - 5.8 ppg; 4.0 reb
Samuli Nieminen - Sr - 2.3 ppg; 2.0 reb
Edward Ruiz - Sr - 0.00 ppg; 0.0 reb

Incoming:
Tylan Pope - Fr
Samazha Hart - Fr
David Kachelries - Jr

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.