2018-2019 Basketball Season

295,652 Views | 1139 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PurpleOut
SFASawmillGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Buffalo beat #13 West Virginia.
sfa17
SFA_03 said:

Buffalo beat #13 West Virginia.
Now we definitely have to play them in ireland. Looks like they wont have trouble getting to the 2nd game of the tourney. So its up to us to beat San Francisco
Ballwatch
Nacluth, do you have your Miami game preview ready yet? Waiting...
nacluth
Ha. I'll put something together this afternoon.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Ha. I'll put something together this afternoon.
In the meantime...

https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/11/02/miami-basketball-2018-19-season-preview-for-the-hurricanes/
nacluth
Don't read that click bait. It doesn't tell you anything. Go to the game thread here...
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Don't read that click bait. It doesn't tell you anything. Go to the game thread here...
But... But.... This one was done by a "professional".
TallTexan
edstile said:

nacluth said:

But... But.... This one was done by a "professional".
Nacluth is a professional!
SFAJack_76
Out of the country for a long planned trip last week with very limited internet access, so I did not see either game. Just read through the SAGU game thread. No doubt the game was disappointing, but some of the comments about the state of the team were ... wow. Those that did not recognize the early part of the season was going to be tough have not been paying attention to reality.

Two of the top eight players from last season are playing, and one of those, appropriately, is playing out of position. PG is the most important position on the team. Keller's choices right now are an experienced senior that is acceptable as a ball handler, a lightly recruited true freshman, or a walk on. Bain will never be a PG option. That one made me chuckle. Bogues has to play point, just as Dallas Cameron had to play out of position at point two years ago. There simply is no other option until Augustin gets back. That takes Bogues away from his best position. Stinks, but that is current reality. Also reality, Augustin and Comeaux were our two best on-ball defenders last year. The defense loses a lot with those two out.

Positives include Bain playing his best basketball, Harris is being Harris, Seraille/Fitzgerald/Nicholas are coming along inside.

Basketball is the ultimate team sport. Right now, we have a bunch of quality basketball individuals working to become a team. Keep working. Keep learning the syastems. Get healthy. Stay healthy.
nacluth
Great post. Glad to have you back.
sfa17
I think we will be a lot more motivated. It hard to get excite about playing SAGU. Playing on national tv in front of thousands of people should get their blood pump.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Good post 76. Nice to have another voice of reason back on the board. Sometimes reality gets in the way of where we want to be. If we can avoid any more serious injuries I think we will be in a good place by conference time.
TallTexan

Number 1. For the decade. In the country.
nacluth
Oh it's us. Yeah...no big deal. Best for a decade.
SFAJack_76
Yes, yes he does.

nacluth
Come on Kevon!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Amen Brother Kevon....let's get this machine back on track!
CertifiedAxeman98
I read the below article about the Houston Rockets regarding the return of Bzdelik. I would say this quote about the Rockets sums up SFA pretty well.

"We can get it to the point like it was last year at the end, but we want it to be even better. We need to continue to grow. You have some young players that are finding their way right now and learning. There's no substitute for experience. It takes all five guys to get a stop."

He also talked about injuries as well which is added to SFA's slow start to the season.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/rockets/article/Rockets-happy-to-see-Jeff-Bzdelik-back-13389697.php
Txjack
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

I read the below article about the Houston Rockets regarding the return of Bzdelik. I would say this quote about the Rockets sums up SFA pretty well.

"We can get it to the point like it was last year at the end, but we want it to be even better. We need to continue to grow. You have some young players that are finding their way right now and learning. There's no substitute for experience. It takes all five guys to get a stop."

He also talked about injuries as well which is added to SFA's slow start to the season.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/rockets/article/Rockets-happy-to-see-Jeff-Bzdelik-back-13389697.php
Agreed, good analogy...a few games this year, the Rockets have looked borderline helpless, then they looked "like the Rockets" against the Nuggets the other night...they too should be okay
SFA Jack Fanatic
Northeastern beat Alabama today, 68-52.
nacluth
LaTech gave LSU all they could but came up short tonight. (I still like that we beat both of those teams last year.) But, LaTech will be no pushover.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
Looks like Abilene will be a real tussle this year. No joke. There 6-0 and they've actually played 5 D1 games.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
Ballwatch
BU and the Illini playing at Notre Dame right now, maybe BU can get this one... #flashbacks
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

SO PROUD OF HIM !!!
RedRiverLa
nacluth said:

LaTech gave LSU all they could but came up short tonight. (I still like that we beat both of those teams last year.) But, LaTech will be no pushover.

Been following LA Tech (my daughter is marrying a grad so I have to). They are a very good team - it will be a challenge just to stay close this early in the year with their continuity and us still trying to find ours. I'll be in WRJ that night wearing purple and doing my own Jack Walk into the building.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
SFAJack_76
Not a bad week at all.

TallTexan
Looks like UALR is trying to get the arena full for basketball games.

I'd be interested to see a compare and contrast between this and our basketball pricing strategy with the premium games.

SFAJack_76
Alabama paid Georgia State to come and beat them 83-80.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Looks like UALR is trying to get the arena full for basketball games.

I'd be interested to see a compare and contrast between this and our basketball pricing strategy with the premium games.

They are averaging about 1,700 attendance through four home games. It must not be much of a product if they are only charging $2.
Ballwatch
Alabam dropped 52 points on GS in the first half. GS returned the favor in the 2nd by scoring 52 on them.
CertifiedAxeman98
Anyone have an update on Comeaux? In the Belfast pics I saw him in regular clothes. Looking Forward to the game on Friday.
TallTexan
One of our friends over at Sam is convinced that struggling early in the season means we're no longer a basketball school.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fcs/comments/a2sd4l/colby_carthel_named_head_coach_at_sfa/eb3qtfy

I set him straight though. Multiple times. Those Bearkats, they're a little tough to get through to.

Thought you guys would enjoy.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

One of our friends over at Sam is convinced that struggling early in the season means we're no longer a basketball school.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fcs/comments/a2sd4l/colby_carthel_named_head_coach_at_sfa/eb3qtfy

I set him straight though. Multiple times. Those Bearkats, they're a little tough to get through to.

Good stuff Texan sounds like aggy and Prison Tech fans think the same...
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

Good stuff Texan sounds like aggy and Prison Tech fans think the same...
From what I hear from my brother who fell out of the family tree and into a Sam Houston degree, they're sometimes the same students.

He said he had classmates who tried to get into A&M, went to Blinn, still couldn't get in, so they live in CStat and attend Sam. That's a lot of miles just to pretend to that you're getting an A&M degree.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.