2018-2019 Basketball Season

297,792 Views | 1139 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PurpleOut
Rev007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For the first time all season, I saw smiles on the faces of the Jacks. They were supportive of their teammate Rance Cole who had an amazing game. I'm not saying that Rance should be starting, but he played excellent defense, passed crisply, and shot lights out. In fact, the whole team played better basketball. The defense forced turnovers. We had more assists. Shannon and Kevon got a lot more rest and we're more fresh in the second half. This was truly a team win and an opportunity to build momentum. If we can keep UCA under 65 points...stay tuned.
SFAJack_76
Keller was the other significant difference I saw last night. He did seem to pull the right strings, but more importantly, he was more engaged, upbeat, positive than I have seen him in weeks. This season has been a real grind, and being "the guy" is so much different than being one of the assistants. His body language during the game and in the post game press conference was so much better. Of course, it is easier when your team executes and wins big, but perhaps he is learning, growing, and paying heed to the mentoring he is getting.

I told a few that yesterday I was looking for the energy, drive, defense from the team prior to the first media time out. The score did not matter. I wanted to see if team and staff were fully committed, or if they were mailing it in. I was very pleased with what I saw, and the end result reflected that start. Long bus ride ahead to Conway. I hope what we saw carries over.
djsfw57
I, too, saw something last night that I've not seen. They looked enthused! They looked like they believed they were going to win, even when they weren't ahead at the beginning. Wish we had seen this weeks ago, but I'll take it.
BigJack85
UCA is get able. They've taken some lumps lately. I don't want to paint Rance Cole as the second coming but frankly why didn't he see the floor in any meaningful way prior to last night. I didn't see anything but a couple highlights but he certainly made a difference in the positioning of Bogues and Kevon. When those two are positioned correctly it makes all the difference. Beating UCA would be a real step in the right direction.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
Idk if Rance will come out that hot every game. Him, Bogues, & Kevon making corner threes certainly opened the offense up though.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Idk if Rance will come out that hot every game. Him, Bogues, & Kevon making corner threes certainly opened the offense up though.

My point precisely.... if Rance distributes appropriately he doesn't need to score 14 points. How often did Trey Pinkney score 14? Answer: almost never. But set up Kevon, Bogues and Mitch for success and we are going to win 2 out 4 of these final games. Again I'm not saying Rance gets 30 minutes a games but low 20's high 10's looks like it may work. Keeping in mind that UIW is the worst team in the league BY FAR.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Rev007
Rance is certainly not the second coming of John Stockton, but I believe he deserves tremendous credit for sticking with the team and biding his time. He's the ultimate team player.

Why did the offense work more efficiently with Rance in the game? Well, there are at least three reasons. Number one, he shot the ball extremely well and didn't pass up open shot opportunities. Secondly, he played great help side defense and came up with steals that led to fast breaks. Lastly, as great as Shannon is, he is not a point guard. He is a shooting guard that has been thrust into the position as a result of need. The ball movement was excellent when John and Rance were playing point.

We will see if Coach Keller plays Rance more against Central Arkansas. More importantly, will Rance see the floor against Lamar? I'll be there in person cheering on the team. I don't expect him to shoot that well every night, but I'm sure he will play hard and be an excellent teammate.

I'm thinking about about getting wearing a purple jersey with Cole on the back....haha.
Pilotgirl
I think Rance was a great spark off the bench. Shannon did that for us last yr and we have missed that this yr. Dude is a walk on with no scholarship. He deserves credit for sure...and in a season like this...why not try him out & let him develop a bit. He was there last yr, practices with them & is always pumped. Ty Charles tweeted about Rance....saying he can actually play good but just have to be given the chance.

And maybe he can bring the joy back for the other players...it certainly looked like it. And that was the biggest thing I saw...distributing the ball better & better defense. Yes, it was UIW but they needed to gain confidence. Hope this is a springboard for them. I will be at Lamar as well to support the Ladies & Gents.
nacluth
I sure don't mind someone earning a scholarship for their senior season either.
No-look
Hopefully Rance can contribute the rest of the way. Don't want to overhype him or put too much pressure on him. But if I remember correctly in past games if he came into the game he would score. I'm thinking his 14 points wasn't a fluke. If he can give some good minutes And asset the team it will be a win situation. Loved the way he played help defense and got some steals.
MasterAxe
Program Update:

We are still the champs until someone knocks us out.

We are staggered a bit, but still standing.
SFASawmillGuy
MasterAxe said:

Program Update:

Exactly. First goal, make it to Katy.
Next goal, be the second 16 seed to beat a 1 seed.
djsfw57
SFA_03 said:

MasterAxe said:

Program Update:

Exactly. First goal, make it to Katy.
Next goal, be the second 16 seed to beat a 1 seed.

Wouldn't that be a kick!
PurpleOut
Staff
FWIW right now, we're projected in the CIT. If we don't win in Katy, I honestly would be shocked to see us in any postseason tournament unless we are guaranteed a home game. The Idaho debacle was stupid.

https://happeninghoops.com/2019/02/27/cit-cbi-bracketology-number-6-february-27th-201/
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

FWIW right now, we're projected in the CIT. If we don't win in Katy, I honestly would be shocked to see us in any postseason tournament unless we are guaranteed a home game. The Idaho debacle was stupid.

https://happeninghoops.com/2019/02/27/cit-cbi-bracketology-number-6-february-27th-201/

I'd attend a home game. No doubt.
Rev007
My Observations While Attending SFA vs. Lamar University:

I debated internally about whether to make the 3.5 hour drive from Tyler to Beaumont because I've been so disappointed with all the losses this year. However, I'm a Lumberjack Lifer. The game was truly remarkable and kept all the spectators on the edges of their seats for the full 40 minutes of play. It's obviously disappointing to lose, but the team made huge strides in this game.

Pregame shooting:

Very evident that Lamar has better shooters. SFA busy doing a lot of dunking, and Lamar busy shooting mid-range and three pointers with the majority going through the net. On the other side, it looks like Oddyst can really shoot the ball, if only this could transition into game scoring...next year, I think!

Game time Positives:

SFA played as a team. Players were engaged and focused. Fitzgerald is so much better when he gets the ball in the low post and uses an assortment of moves to make layups, not so good at shooting 3 pointers. Kevon and Shannon played their typical games, for the most part very productive. Comeaux was a true spark off the bench. He played great defense and picked up some steals. Jovan was used more in this game, and I think it was the best I ever saw him play. He really moves the ball around well, was coming way out in the pick and roll defense to stop the guards from penetrating. I was worried that he would pick up foolish fools, but he didn't. He also made a nifty move around the basket. I think this is the most we can expect from Jovan, and I'm happy with the output. Samuli and Nathan were non factors, but they didn't hurt the team...sort of neutral.

Negatives: No team will ever play perfect. We had a great game, but if I had to come up with negatives, it would be lack of a true point guard play. The ball movement was weak. I didn't see much driving and kicking out to open shooters, and this hurt us the last three possessions of the game which kept us from winning. Rance never saw the floor, not one minute. I believe he could have spelled Shanon and given him more opportunities to rest and stay fresh for the last few minutes of the game.

Overall: With the exception of the Baylor game, this is as good as it gets from our limited overall talent. I was content. It was a great game with drama all the way to the end. I'm predicting an upset of Sam Houston if we have a similar effort against ACU.

By the way, I've been reading too many negative comments about Samuli. Most of you probably don't know that he has the ankles of an 80 year old. He's giving everything he has, and I for one am proud of him. Ditto for Comeaux.

Rev007
SFA Jack Fanatic
Great comments, Rev. Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Shannon would have to be the player of the game, but I thought Oddyst was solid, too, and he had his best game of the season. I don't recall him making any mistakes at all on either end of the court. When we first got him late in the recruiting season I didn't really expect much from him, but he's improved more than anyone else on the team as the season has progressed, IMO. If he's here next season (and I think no one on this team is absolutely certain to be here next season), he could be a good one.
PurpleOut
Staff
Thought Oddyst played great defense last night. It took a ridiculous night from a Lamar true freshman for them to get the win.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

It took a ridiculous night from a Lamar true freshman for them to get the win.

Yeah. We're going to have to shut that little guy down in seasons to come. Fastest Trigger Finger in the West.
Pilotgirl
Rev007 said:

My Observations While Attending SFA vs. Lamar University:

I debated internally about whether to make the 3.5 hour drive from Tyler to Beaumont because I've been so disappointed with all the losses this year. However, I'm a Lumberjack Lifer. The game was truly remarkable and kept all the spectators on the edges of their seats for the full 40 minutes of play. It's obviously disappointing to lose, but the team made huge strides in this game.

Pregame shooting:

Very evident that Lamar has better shooters. SFA busy doing a lot of dunking, and Lamar busy shooting mid-range and three pointers with the majority going through the net. On the other side, it looks like Oddyst can really shoot the ball, if only this could transition into game scoring...next year, I think!

Game time Positives:

SFA played as a team. Players were engaged and focused. Fitzgerald is so much better when he gets the ball in the low post and uses an assortment of moves to make layups, not so good at shooting 3 pointers. Kevon and Shannon played their typical games, for the most part very productive. Comeaux was a true spark off the bench. He played great defense and picked up some steals. Jovan was used more in this game, and I think it was the best I ever saw him play. He really moves the ball around well, was coming way out in the pick and roll defense to stop the guards from penetrating. I was worried that he would pick up foolish fools, but he didn't. He also made a nifty move around the basket. I think this is the most we can expect from Jovan, and I'm happy with the output. Samuli and Nathan were non factors, but they didn't hurt the team...sort of neutral.

Negatives: No team will ever play perfect. We had a great game, but if I had to come up with negatives, it would be lack of a true point guard play. The ball movement was weak. I didn't see much driving and kicking out to open shooters, and this hurt us the last three possessions of the game which kept us from winning. Rance never saw the floor, not one minute. I believe he could have spelled Shanon and given him more opportunities to rest and stay fresh for the last few minutes of the game.

Overall: With the exception of the Baylor game, this is as good as it gets from our limited overall talent. I was content. It was a great game with drama all the way to the end. I'm predicting an upset of Sam Houston if we have a similar effort against ACU.

By the way, I've been reading too many negative comments about Samuli. Most of you probably don't know that he has the ankles of an 80 year old. He's giving everything he has, and I for one am proud of him. Ditto for Comeaux.

Rev007

Even tho we are sad about the outcome, we are also glad to have made the 3 hr trip from Jville! That game was a great example of what a BB game should be: exciting! I agree with everything you said. Getting Walker, Jovan involved and they played well. Mitch was a spark too and John? Well, I just love watching him play when he is pumped up. They playsd3as a team & that's what we want EVERY game.
PurpleOut
Staff
We haven't missed the tournament since 2004-2005.

This thread got to over 1,000 posts, definitely a milestone. It's being locked so it never get's brought up again and hopefully is forgotten.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.