2018-2019 Basketball Season

297,336 Views | 1139 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PurpleOut
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pumped!
Ballwatch
Finally!
PurpleOut
Staff
December 15th at Louisiana Monroe.
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

I found this on the Alumni Association web site.

Jack Madness
8 PM
William R. Johnson Coliseum

Get your first look at the SFA men and women basketball teams. They will host a small scrimmage, dunk contest, and give away lots of prizes!

Torchlight Parade and Bonfire

Torchlight Parade: 9 PM, SFA Ag Pond
Bonfire: 9 PM @ the Intramural Fields

Also, soccer hosts Sam at 6:00 in the last regular season match.

I want to see Mitch in the dunk contest!
cboothe09
PurpleOut
Staff
We're doing a series of tweets announcing each game, going to be a long morning.
BigJack85
Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
CertifiedAxeman98
Agreed going to be a long day. Starting with home non-con games first.

I see why it took so long to release, they were probably working the phones to try and get some more D1 games rather than filling in with so many NAIA/D2 at home. Glad that they got Louisiana Monroe on the schedule even if it is on the road.
SFAXE93
You just have to look on the SFA basketball website, they have it posted

Nov. 6; Texas Wesleyan (NAIA)
Nov. 8; Southwestern Assemblies of God (NAIA)
Nov. 13; @Miami (FL.)
Nov. 20; Marist
Nov. 25; St. Edwards (DIV. II)
Nov. 11; San Francisco
Dec. 1; Buffalo/Milwaukee
Dec. 7; Louisiana Tech
Dec. 15; @Louisiana-Monroe
Dec. 18; @Baylor
Dec. 21; Arlington Baptist (Div. II)
Dec. 30; 5:00 P.M. Alabama (ESPNU)

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
BigJack85
Are the games against Texas Wesleyan SWAG etc exhibition games ???
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
National TV for Alabama (ESPNU). CANNOT WAIT!
PurpleOut
Staff
I don't understand why we can't just release a full schedule right now. I like the effort, but the individual tweet thing isn't working. And we've only gone through 7 games in an hour and a half.

Guess I'll check back later.
nacluth
Thought it looked familiar...it's the exact same conference schedule as last year. Same games played on the same days of the week. They just flipped home for home. Bogus job Southland.

With the teams that are returning talent, it means that our most important game is going to be the January 2nd SELA game - the first game in the middle of Christmas break. I guess at least we know if we lose that one it will be hard to win the regular season.

Southland sports needs to wake up to basketball being their best national commodity and hire someone who knows how to schedule.
CertifiedAxeman98
Agreed we have had ties at the top the past 2 years what a joke the scheduling is for the SL. They should have the top teams playing each other 2 times. Why do we play Incarnate Word & Northwestern 2 times they were rated 342 & 345 by kenpom. We should play SLU and Nicholls 2 times not just once. This is why every game in non-conference matters from a seeding prospective when you play bad SL teams in conference play. If C-USA's "Bonus Play" works for the end the season like they hope it will putting the best teams against the best teams at the end of season SL should adopt that approach.
SFAJack_76
But, but ... (from the SLC web site):

"Well into its sixth decade of service, the Southland Conference continues to be a model of innovation, stability and consistent achievement as it celebrates the academic and athletic accomplishments of its member institutions and approximately 4,200 student-athletes."

Someone enlighten me as to what innovation has come from the SLC, please.
CertifiedAxeman98
First 2 games are must wins. Looks like I'm leaving work early and driving up to Nac on 1/2. SFA needs to do something to get the students in the gym for that key game.
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

First 2 games are must wins. Looks like I'm leaving work early and driving up to Nac on 1/2. SFA needs to do something to get the students in the gym for that key game.
Hah. When I read your first sentence, I thought you meant TWU and SWAGU. The next sentence about the SLU game caught me up.
PurpleOut
Staff
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

School won't be in session, so will probably be tough.

I think a new scheduling format is definitely needed. I think the model the Sun Belt and others are starting to move to is the way to go. No real advantage in terms of seeding but it's better than the current format. At the same time, it's hard to gauge who will be the top teams every year. 5 years ago we would have said the opposite of our games vs Nicholls and Northwestern.
TallTexan
If we protest on twitter, maybe they'll hire Mark Adams.
nacluth
Almost all professional sports use the last season to decide their strength of schedule for the next. I know that could be dangerous in a league where senior turnover can raise or drop the fortunes of a team. However, it's fair in the sense that bad teams from one year can hope that a favorable schedule can get them back into the mix, and good teams have to sustain their play to earn their top dog status - not skip the hard way. Also, it leads to a small but measurable benefit to the SOS so many use to rank teams - especially in a weak conference like the SLC.

SFA should not have the weakest conference SOS in the SLC just because of scheduling. It hurts the whole conference come seeding time.
No-look
Shouldn't the SELA game be a home game this year?
nacluth
It is, just lamenting that it's probably our biggest conference game in importance and it's over break. That could happen any year - the fact that it's scheduled the same in back to back years is just lazy.
Pilotgirl
This one has SHSU going to the Dance....ummm ok.

https://m.herosports.com/college-basketball/ncaa-tournament-preseason-bracketology-ahah
Pilotgirl
SFA...Honorable Mention...
https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/09/27/nbcsports-coms-preseason-mid-major-power-rankings/
No-look
Pilotgirl said:

https://m.herosports.com/college-basketball/ncaa-tournament-preseason-bracketology-ahah
You would think that these guys would do a little research before posting.
TallTexan
No-look said:

Pilotgirl said:

Writer: Googles teams from the Southland Conference. Picks first one they see.
Pilotgirl
No-look said:

Pilotgirl said:

Right? I mean there are a couple other teams (hello state of Louisiana) that could definitely beat out SHSU...based on end of last year play.
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

Pilotgirl said:

Writer: Googles teams from the Southland Conference. Picks first one they see.

It's like they were just tired at that point and filled it in...but remember what happened last year with a 16 seed vs 1 seed?!
sfa17
Pilotgirl said:

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/09/27/nbcsports-coms-preseason-mid-major-power-rankings/
They have Buffalo at #1 . Hope we get to play them in Ireland. Hopefully continue the great non conference season we had last year. This is probably the best schedule we have had in a while.
Pilotgirl
sfa17 said:

Pilotgirl said:

They have Buffalo at #1 . Hope we get to play them in Ireland. Hopefully continue the great non conference season we had last year. This is probably the best schedule we have had in a while.

Would be so very nice to play AND beat Buffalo
Pilotgirl
Games in calendar
Season tickets
List of away games to attend

LET'S GO. AXEEM.
SFAJack_76
Here we go!

nacluth
Yes! Hungry for it.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Here we go!

Yes, it means our long football nightmare is over!

Apologies to our football guys, I really do want yall to do well.
SFAJack_76
I don't see #10.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.