2018-2019 Basketball Season

295,737 Views | 1139 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PurpleOut
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting... Alabama gets creamed by Jacksonville State in a scrimmage..

nacluth
Just spent the evening at the Coliseum where Kaspar threw himself a reception for his Hall of Fame induction. (Really SFA?) It was a great time with at least 20 former players, tons of past coaches and supporters. He reminisced about every single person there. A great look into what it took to change the trajectory of SFA basketball to what it is now. A deserving honor for a great coach.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
He had to host it himself??????? That's an abomination. That should never happen. He deserves the best.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Just spent the evening at the Coliseum where Kaspar threw himself a reception for his Hall of Fame induction. (Really SFA?) It was a great time with at least 20 former players, tons of past coaches and supporters. He reminisced about every single person there. A great look into what it took to change the trajectory of SFA basketball to what it is now. A deserving honor for a great coach.

What does Kaspar know about football? Maybe he could be the guy to rebuild that program too.
SFASawmillGuy
I mean, technically mike leach had no background in football before coaching. He was a lawyer. So maybe delving into someone outside of football could help us!
PurpleOut
Staff
I don't know if the concert hurt attendance or not, but I know there were thousands of people down there by the stage by the time I walked there from the Coliseum. So I'd agree that it did, but hard to gauge.

Aaron Walton impressed me the most Friday night. Obviously not a lot to take away from a 10 minute scrimmage, without several key players. But Walton played really well. Several good assists, knocked down a 3, and was aggressive on the defensive end.

I thought Jock played ok as well. Missed his shots, but he was other than Shannon, Jock was the quickest guy on the floor.

I think it will take some time to see how good we'll be this season. With all of the new players, plus a lot of injuries, it will take some time to gel.
No-look
New guys all looked decent. Oddest looked like he belonged. Fitzgerald looked like he didn't want to hurt anyone. He will be huge. Jock and Mitch will be fine. Saw a lot of good stuff during the scrimmage. Realizing that they weren't playing lock down defense but one could tell that there is a lot of positives. The A&M scrimmage was a positive if you think about it. Winning by 4 instead of losing by 25. No TJ, John, Sammy and second half no Aaron....
TallTexan
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-1-353-from-kansas-to-no-353-and-an-interesting-fact-on-every-team/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Checking in at number 93.
SFAJack_76
Just reported by KTRE:

On Monday, the board of regents approved a plan to build a new basketball practice facility near the William R. Johnson Coliseum. The project is part of a larger school expansion that includes a Fine Arts Expansion Initiative, Welcome Center and Student Support Services One Stop Shop. The school is also planning on doing renovations to a residence Hall and a dining Hall.
"The basketball performance center will include a court and a half, offices, new locker rooms for both the men and women, a new training facility, and a new weight room," Athletic Director Ryan Ivey said.
Currently, the both the men's and women's teams share time on the main court.
"We have to work around it with one facility but I can only imagine what it will be like," Head Ladyjacks coach Mark Kellogg said. "The best thing is it will all be here. We did some calculating, and in an academic school year, the time they commute from our wiring room, to our academic center to the court is almost a month and a half. Now, we get that back to make them better student athletes."
The cost for the basketball facility is estimated to be $26 million. The overall approved cost for the entire project is estimated at $125 according to SFA spokesperson Shirley Luna. The money will come from a mixture of student incentive bonds, fees, and donations to the university.
Ivey is hoping the addition will ultimately get the program to the next tier in the recruiting battle for top athletes.
"Facilities are a big part of that," Ivey said. "We have a great tradition of being successful from a basketball standpoint. This facility will be that opportunity for us."
Copyright 2018 KTRE. All rights reserved.
SFA Jack Fanatic
That's what I'm talkin' about!
Jacks4460
I can't believe I missed the BOR meeting.. I enjoy streaming that... totally forgot...this is great news... maybe that other dining renovation is for the athletes..
PurpleOut
Staff
This is fantastic news! It'd been disscused and assumed for a while but nice to see it fully approved. Can't wait!
djsfw57
My heart raced a little when I read this fantastic news. The first thought that popped into my head was, "They are really taking this seriously!" Exciting for sure. Can't wait to get this started.
TallTexan
That's freaking amazing. Taking this thing to the next level.
TallTexan
So this new facility is going to be next to WRJ?
BigJack85
Maybe there is some conceptual drawings..... dreams.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

So this new facility is going to be next to WRJ?

That's always been my idea. Take a quarter or even half of the commuter lot. Then add a parking garage on the other side to make up for the parking.
BigJack85
That could be interesting. I'm really interested in the drawings,,,, when there available. Sounds like a real positive move forward. I hope that some aesthetic upgrades happen at the WRJ. that would really be a game changer.
sfa17
I can wait .. this will allow us too compete against other top mid major teams like smu and UH
nacluth
Originally the plan was to have the facility behind WRJ, but I haven't heard anything about the commuter lot. Will be interested to hear where.
BigJack85
I'll get really excited when I see the architects drawings and renderings.... I'm also very pleased that East College Cafeteria is going to get put to bed.
Txjack
Wow, that came out of nowhere! Nice!

I see where this also includes the fine arts building...I was just showing my daughter the fine arts building over the weekend (she's in theatre--considering SFA) and we were saying that it looked like it needed updating, especially backstage.
An aside, fwiw...I was on facebook last night and came across something that said the "7 most haunted places in East Texas". Number 5 was the Turner Fine Arts Auditorium, I vaguely recall someone saying this place was "haunted" when I was going there. (https://www.hauntedrooms.com/7-haunted-places-east-texas).
sfa17
Jack Madness Higlights

No-look
Txjack said:

RWow, that came out of nowhere! Nice!

I see where this also includes the fine arts building...I was just showing my daughter the fine arts building over the weekend (she's in theatre--considering SFA) and we were saying that it looked like it needed updating, especially backstage.
An aside, fwiw...I was on facebook last night and came across something that said the "7 most haunted places in East Texas". Number 5 was the Turner Fine Arts Auditorium, I vaguely recall someone saying this place was "haunted" when I was going there. (https://www.hauntedrooms.com/7-haunted-places-east-texas).

Maybe it's the 6th man that haunts our coliseum that helps win the games?
TallTexan
No-look said:

Txjack said:

RWow, that came out of nowhere! Nice!

It's no surprise. A friendly ghost coached our team for several years.
No-look
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

Txjack said:

KRWow, that came out of nowhere! Nice!

That deserves a high five!
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

No-look said:

I see what you did there...
cboothe09
On ESPN.com it says our game against Texas Wesleyan will be broadcast on ESPN3
tangerito
TJ played very well as a true freshman, hopefully we can expect the same from Mitch!
sfa17
Best teams in each state

1TCU
2Texas
3Houston
4Texas Tech
5Baylor
6SMU
7Texas-San Antonio
8Stephen F. Austin
8North Texas
10Texas A&M
11Abilene Christian
12Texas State
13Sam Houston State
14Texas-El Paso
15Prairie View A&M
16Lamar
17Texas-Arlington
18Texas Southern
19Houston Baptist
20Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
21Texas-Rio Grande Valley
22Rice
23Incarnate Word

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-2018-19-where-every-team-ranks-in-each-state-from-top-to-bottom/
cboothe09
I may have a gripe or two about that list...
PurpleOut
Staff
UTSA should be pretty decent this year, but that's the only one I'd question us being behind. Right now.
SFASawmillGuy
cboothe09 said:

I may have a gripe or two about that list...

I have 7 gripes about this list.
sfa17
I don't think smu will be good this year. They have been going downhill since Larry left and a lot of fans are asking for jankovich's firing
PurpleOut
Staff
New black unis, definitely an upgrade from the old blacks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.