2018-2019 Basketball Season

298,611 Views | 1139 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PurpleOut
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody know if Carthel will be at the basketball game tonight? Thought they might give him an intro there, but he might be out recruiting.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Anybody know if Carthel will be at the basketball game tonight? Thought they might give him an intro there, but he might be out recruiting.
I hope he is out recruiting...
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

Isn't the Bama game during a recruiting dead period? That might be the time to give him a welcome at the basketball game.
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

Isn't the Bama game during a recruiting dead period? That might be the time to give him a welcome at the basketball game.
Yes sir I believe you are correct...
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

That was discussed, but I think recruiting won out.

Carthage vs Henderson 7:30 tonight in Longview. Weather will be rough, but a good game for him to attend.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

From what I hear from my brother who fell out of the family tree and into a Sam Houston degree, they're sometimes the same students.

He said he had classmates who tried to get into A&M, went to Blinn, still couldn't get in, so they live in CStat and attend Sam. That's a lot of miles just to pretend to that you're getting an A&M degree.

2018 acceptance rates:

• Sam - 72%
  • A&M-College Station - 67%
  • SFA - 62%
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

That was discussed, but I think recruiting won out.

Carthage vs Henderson 7:30 tonight in Longview. Weather will be rough, but a good game for him to attend.
Ya that's a tough playoff game to miss. I think Bama would be the game to do it. Get a big crowd fired up.
PurpleForever
Augustine out with mono? That's not good. Can keep you out around 6 weeks in some cases.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76
Txjack
PurpleForever said:

Augustine out with mono? That's not good. Can keep you out around 6 weeks in some cases
Right...my brother had this bad in high school. Even after the (significant) symptoms went away, he battled fatigue for a couple of months. Hopefully, Aaron does not have a severe case, but he would still need to get back into basketball shape...ugh, could be out significant time.
SFAJack_76
On a happier note.

TallTexan
That makes two weeks in a row for a Lumberjack right?
TallTexan

Check out the subtweet for a shoutout to our crowd.
TallTexan
Also, mentioned by Kevin Sweeney as top 5 game atmospheres for midmajors.

SFAJack_76
Some about the Baylor game, but more than that. Interesting how Keller turns the interview to the guy doing the interviewing. He handles interviews about as well as anyone I have seen.

KirkHeath12
https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/12/21/18150291/stephen-f-austin-lumberjacks-college-basketball-shannon-bogues-kyle-keller-southland-sfa
Class of 2012
Axe Em
TallTexan
KirkHeath12 said:

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/12/21/18150291/stephen-f-austin-lumberjacks-college-basketball-shannon-bogues-kyle-keller-southland-sfa

LOL at this quote.

"Reports of Stephen F. Austin's death have been greatly exaggerated."

But the rest of the article is pretty good. An good look at the headwinds of the season.

SFA Jack Fanatic
Bring on the Pac-12 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the last seven days....

Baylor beats Arizona 58-49 on the road.

Baylor loses to SFA 59-58 at home.

Baylor beats (Pac-12 favorite) Oregon 57-47 at home.

TallTexan
So I was thinking last night on the game thread that we should do a Community game over Winter Break to invite the community in for a "free admission" game.

Invite all the local churches, local companies, etc, to come and cheer on the Jacks, for free. In exchange, we can pass the bucket for a good cause, like benefitting the Nac Food bank. We could give the guys a good crowd while raising money for a good cause and getting a lot of community members who don't have standard SFA ties in the door.
TallTexan
It also got me to thinking about other ways to get people in the door/marketing. One year we should do 2 year game. Hold it on December 31st at 11 PM and turn the whole game into one big New Year's celebration.
TallTexan
My coworker, from Indiana, found out today that SFA is in Nac and was absolutely stoked about it.

She was like "I didn't know SFA was so close! I love college basketball."

Going to see if I can get her and her family to a game in the Spring.
SFAJack_76
Edward Ruiz.... now playing D1 basketball.

"Played baseball for one season at Morton Ranch High School...Was a first baseman and a pitcher."

https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2436
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

"Played baseball for one season at Morton Ranch High School...Was a first baseman and a pitcher."

https://sfajacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2436
Lol, moving on up. Next week, NFL!
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Surely there's someone on a college campus that's a bit more prepared to play college basketball (even in a bench warmer/practice team/plug a temporary hole mode) than that... Surely.... Geez Louise....
TallTexan
I know we had tryouts earlier this season, & I saw a few people post on twitter who were above average HS players.

I think the plan though is that Ruiz never hits the floor this side of a blowout, so maybe he had some knowledge of the system that's helpful in practice?
SFAJack_76
Carthel turned a bowler into a stud QB, so perhaps ....

Nah.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I wish I had an inkling of what TJ's plans are for next year. If he decides to stay, the Jacks of 2019-2020 could/should be a Top 30 (or better) team and make a splash in the Big Dance.
TallTexan
Would be a ridiculously talented team.
No-look
Jacks website says TbA on time of SLU ESPN says 6:30. Is that correct?
PurpleOut
Staff
Yep
TallTexan
No-look said:

Jacks website says TbA on time of SLU ESPN says 6:30. Is that correct?

What's up with the 6:30 games? We always make it to the game about halfway through the 1st.
sfa17
John Comeaux makes emotional return to Lumberjack basketball team

http://www.ktre.com/2019/01/02/john-comeaux-makes-emotional-return-lumberjack-basketball-team/
Pilotgirl
KEYYYYYYY!

Pilotgirl
Ouuuuch!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=233857427505539&id=119346901880211

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.