2018-2019 Basketball Season

298,694 Views | 1139 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PurpleOut
KirkHeath12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rewatching the Alabama vs SFA game, because I'm weird. Anyways, that team that played in that game is not what we are seeing now. They were energized and came ready to play. They have it in them, can Keller bring it back is the question.
Class of 2012
Axe Em
sfa17
Baylor beat #8 Texas Tech in Waco
nacluth
I'm not saying it's anything but theoretical at this point, but if we do win in Katy, that Baylor victory may be our edge that keeps us out of a play-in game. A true quad 1 win.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
sfa17
nacluth said:

I'm not saying it's anything but theoretical at this point, but if we do win in Katy, that Baylor victory may be our edge that keeps us out of a play-in game. A true quad 1 win.
I agree, BIG if , but if we get to the tourney it might be the difference between 16 seed and 15 seed. Top 50 win on the road. But we need to take care of business, Long long road ahead
Jacks4460
sfa17 said:

nacluth said:

I agree, BIG if , but if we get to the tourney it might be the difference between 16 seed and 15 seed. Top 50 win on the road. But we need to take care of business, Long long road ahead
I hate to say it but I dont think this is gonna be our year to even go to the dance... Which I still love my Lumberjacks no matter what.. Just being realistic..
TallTexan
I feel like this is basketball info you guys need to know too.

TallTexan
And this:

TallTexan
Excuse me while I cry myself to sleep.
Pilotgirl
NO MORE...CANNOT REVISIT THESE OLD WOUNDS
nacluth
Northwestern put up a good fight in Abilene. Corpus roasted UNO. Road wins ain't easy.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

NO MORE...CANNOT REVISIT THESE OLD WOUNDS
Korbin already dragged Matt and I in, figured I would share the grief with the rest of ya'll.
Pilotgirl
Jock updated info: tweeted his finger was broken, not dislocated. Injuries continue.
SFAJack_76
Yep. Beat goes on.

CertifiedAxeman98
This off season the program must look at injuries/illnesses and how to mitigate them going forward. Most of the injuries have occurred outside of game play. They have got to have a plan to fix this. What is going on in practice and warm ups and off the court all needs to be looked at to prevent this stuff from happening next year. You will always have some injuries but a team that has had this many injuries must find a way to reduce them going forward.

The benchings have not helped either. Keller is in a tough spot with a new lineup each game. At first it looked like they would get things together before conference play then they looked like they needed a couple of games to get things going now they are targeting February. Their next 3 games are going to be really tough so they better get healthy soon. If they don't they will not be playing in Katy.

Also, what is up with Karl? He hasn't played the last 3 games?
PurpleForever
I've been a hardcore supporter of SFA basketball since Kasper was here and have cheered through good and bad. But does anybody feel like this year is slowly turning into a joke? With two players already being kicked off this year and possibly one more at halftime last night its getting ridiculous. I remember last year's practices were nuts with players arguing with coaches and a lack of respect. I haven't personally been able to go to any practices this year but I would suspect its just more of the same.
cboothe09
I may be tiptoeing over to the Fire Keller boat. I'm not 100% sold on firing him, but I have WAY more questions than I do confidence in his fit for the program. There seems to be a massive issue with the player/coach dynamic that spans all three years in Nacogdoches. Isaiah Traylor, Lasani Johnson, Cameron Mack, Karl Nicholas, Stefon Fisher, Aaron Augustin, Mitch Seraille...That is an impressive list of player to run off.

If they aren't buying into the program, that is one thing, but something feels off. Like you, I'm not in practices and don't see what is happening behind closed doors. I want to trust Keller and believe that he is the next man to lead the program. It isn't even the X's and O's that have me concerned. This is about player relationships and team building. Chemistry seemed to be an issue last year, and it has only gotten worse. That scares me more than extended shooting slumps. Shooting can be corrected. Chemistry isn't a quick fix...
No-look
Recruiting is hard. You don't know what you get until it plays out. Several recruits haven't worked out as with many other teams. Keller did a good job when he recruited Bogues and Harris. We wouldn't be talking about this if it wasn't for the injuries.
Jacks4460
cboothe09 said:

I may be tiptoeing over to the Fire Keller boat. I'm not 100% sold on firing him, but I have WAY more questions than I do confidence in his fit for the program. There seems to be a massive issue with the player/coach dynamic that spans all three years in Nacogdoches. Isaiah Traylor, Lasani Johnson, Cameron Mack, Karl Nicholas, Stefon Fisher, Aaron Augustin, Mitch Seraille...That is an impressive list of player to run off.

If they aren't buying into the program, that is one thing, but something feels off. Like you, I'm not in practices and don't see what is happening behind closed doors. I want to trust Keller and believe that he is the next man to lead the program. It isn't even the X's and O's that have me concerned. This is about player relationships and team building. Chemistry seemed to be an issue last year, and it has only gotten worse. That scares me more than extended shooting slumps. Shooting can be corrected. Chemistry isn't a quick fix...
Great post... I am with you 100%...Not everyone can coach high ranking,high level players...
PurpleForever
I'm in the same boat. Its getting to the point where it will be hurting the future of the program. You can't keep losing scholarship players like we are and expect to keep competing. There are only so many recruits we will be able to attract each year. Losing players like Seraille, Nicholas, and Augustin and competing in years to come is not possible in my opinion.
cboothe09
I agree and that is what makes the whole situation perplexing. If it wasn't for Kevon and Shannon, I don't think we would be seeing Keller last beyond this year. With that, let's be 100% honest and acknowledge that Keller is not losing his job after this year. Injuries have played a huge role this year and he bought himself a lot of goodwill with last year's team, but there are cracks that need to be addressed.
cboothe09
Aaron no longer listed on roster...Mitch and Karl are still there
nacluth
To be fair, there's a lot more left to this season as well. Calling a game in the middle can be tough - say like last night's. This season isn't done, and while things look grim right this moment, it's not clear that this season will not be a greater success than last year. We're not done playing.

Player issues are always concerning, and they can sometimes be laid at the coaching staff's feet. I don't believe we're sunk yet.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
CertifiedAxeman98
I just noticed that. I was wondering why I didn't see him last night. He was there awhile back in street clothes. Nicholas is still there for now.
No-look
Jacks4460 said:

cboothe09 said:

Great post... I am with you 100%...Not everyone can coach high ranking,high level players...
Especially if their not coachable.
cboothe09
I agree. The season isn't done yet and it has been well documented that we have the most talented roster in the SLC. That alone can keep us in the running and believe me, I am here 100% to support Keller and the program. I want nothing but the best. It has become what we as alumni and fans are accustomed to.

I'm just saying I see issues that are more problematic for the long run.
Jacks4460
No-look said:

Jacks4460 said:

cboothe09 said:

you cant tell me all 7 of these kids were not coachable... this is a pattern with Keller..
nacluth
cboothe09 said:

Aaron no longer listed on roster...Mitch and Karl are still there
Aaron Walton has been gone for a little while too. I don't have a clue about when exactly, but for sure was gone last week.
BigJack85
cboothe09 said:

I agree. The season isn't done yet and it has been well documented that we have the most talented roster in the SLC. That alone can keep us in the running and believe me, I am here 100% to support Keller and the program. I want nothing but the best. It has become what we as alumni and fans are accustomed to.

I'm just saying I see issues that are more problematic for the long run.

Boothe - I'm with you I think the long-term implications are what concern me. Keller has had a real circus going on starting from day 1. That has me concerned. I thought after the run in the SLC tournament that things would settle in bit that has not been the case ???
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
No-look
Jacks4460 said:

No-look said:

Jacks4460 said:

cboothe09 said:

you cant tell me all 7 of these kids were not coachable... this is a pattern with Keller..
. I understand what you are saying but We don't know what's the issues are with the current players. Did they do something to hurt the team etc.. Fisher not playing much this year. Heard he's averaging 2 points a game.
Jacks4460
No-look said:

Jacks4460 said:

No-look said:

Jacks4460 said:

cboothe09 said:

. I understand what you are saying but We don't know what's the issues are with the current players. Did they do something to hurt the team etc.. Fisher not playing much this year. Heard he's averaging 2 points a game.
dont really know how else to put it No-look but Keller has a problem not being able to relate/coach/motivate with kids from Da Hood... Inner city youth that grow up in different environments than probally you or I.. I am 100% convinced of this.. It takes alot of nurturing,patience,understanding... This roster turnover is very concerning..
CertifiedAxeman98
For 19/20 this is what it looks like at this point for scholarship players:

Coming back:
Harris (Combo G/F)
Comeaux (PG)
Bain (SF)
Nieminen (PF)
Walker (SG/PG)
Hughes (SG)

Freshman Committed Recruits:
Hart (SF)
Pope (PF)

Question marks:
Holyfield (F) (may be poached by a larger school as a grad transfer)
Seraille (F) (in the dog house?)

Probably gone:
Nicholas (F) (in the dog house or gone)

You have at least 2 open scholarships and possibly as many as 5 to fill. One of those needs to be a PG with the early departure of Augustin and probably a JUCO SG to try and replace some of Bogues production. Also, might want to look at a center. Probably will need some JUCO's to fill in and bring some experience and scrappy defensive play.

Lots of turnover in the program since Keller arrived and that is something that should be evaluated to see why each left and what can be done to mitigate it. There will be those that leave from year to year seeking play time elsewhere (I think that was the case with Fisher) but locker room issues need to be mitigated (coaching or recruitment or both).

Grad transfers like Fitzgerald make since to me (he has his ups and downs performance wise but he is not in the dog house) but should we go after transfers that are not happy at their current school like Nicholas (do we know if he was in the dog house at Montana)? Montana was at the top of their conference last year and still good this year so why would you leave a program that just won their conference and went to the tourney?
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'm more depressed by the comments that are being posted here than by the actual situation surrounding the team, the coaches, and the players. So much conjecture, so little actual information.

I support the Jacks every minute of every day and will continue to do so no matter how this all plays out.

That is all.
BigJack85
I hope TJ looks at what most grad transfers end up being,,,, a role player. If TJ comes back for his senior season HE IS THE MAN in my book. He instantly takes us from possible contender to favorite. He has that much impact. How will he fit into another roster. Unless it's HBU I think it 8-12 minutes a game. If he's with SFA he playing 25-30 minutes a game. Period.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I hope TJ looks at what most grad transfers end up being,,,, a role player. If TJ comes back for his senior season HE IS THE MAN in my book. He instantly takes us from possible contender to favorite. He has that much impact. How will he fit into another roster. Unless it's HBU I think it 8-12 minutes a game. If he's with SFA he playing 25-30 minutes a game. Period.

In my book, TJ's the man whatever he decides, but dang do I want to see him in Lumberjack purple next season.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I'm more depressed by the comments that are being posted here than by the actual situation surrounding the team, the coaches, and the players. So much conjecture, so little actual information.

I support the Jacks every minute of every day and will continue to do so no matter how this all plays out.

That is all.
This. 100% this.

There have been over 100 D1 transfers this season. TCU, with one of the more respected coaches in the business, has had four transfers during the season. Danny Kaspar, who I greatly respect, had transfers probably every season. There were nearly 900 D1 transfers each of the last two seasons. To a degree, it is the world we now live in. Let me do what I want to do, and I want instant gratification.

To come on this site the day after a great win and see some of this .... never mind.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.