2018-2019 Basketball Season

298,429 Views | 1139 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PurpleOut
beaubrad46
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The silence is deafening.
nacluth
Kids are supposed to be getting in for summer soon, so I bet we might have some basketball camp photos soon.
No-look
beaubrad46 said:

The silence is deafening.
I'm thinking they about to announce a 5 Star recruit along with the schedule that has some big home games.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Kids are supposed to be getting in for summer soon, so I bet we might have some basketball camp photos soon.
Deuce Hughes checked in to the athletes' dorm this weekend. He is amped to be here.
beaubrad46
Verbal commits does show that we have one scholarship open for 2018. I don't know how accurate they are. Mondays typically have a lot of signing announcements. I can't imagine that we would not use all of our scholarships even if it's on a junior transfer who has only one year of eligibility left. I'll bet there is something in the works.
beaubrad46
Don't scream at me but could we possibly be considering signing Sam Houston transfer point guard John Dewey III. He averaged ten points and four assists last year. tell me that I'm not crazy. Allante Holston a 6'7" junior transfer from UNT, who would be eligible immediately is also another interesting possibility. He averaged 18 minutes and 6.7 points a game.
TallTexan
beaubrad46 said:

Don't scream at me but could we possibly be considering signing Sam Houston transfer point guard John Dewey III. He averaged ten points and four assists last year. tell me that I'm not crazy. Allante Holston a 6'7" junior transfer from UNT, who would be eligible immediately is also another interesting possibility. He averaged 18 minutes and 6.7 points a game.

OH THE HORROR!

Kidding, I have no idea but I'd love to hear some basketball news on whether or not we'll use that scholarship this year.
beaubrad46
Ditto. There are still players out there. i.e.

2018 Navarro College (TX)/Idaho commit G Jahlil Nails has requested a release from his LOI. @JahlilNails http://verbalcommits.com/players/jahlil-nails

SFA Jack Fanatic
beaubrad46 said:

Don't scream at me but could we possibly be considering signing Sam Houston transfer point guard John Dewey III.
I'm screaming at you! Anyone (well almost) from anywhere other than Prison Tech. Have I ever mentioned that I HATE Prison Tech?!?!
beaubrad46
Dewey left because he didn't like it also. We all hate them. Although my daughter graduated from there after putting most of her hours in at SFA. She still pulls for SFA though.
SFA Jack Fanatic
beaubrad46 said:

Dewey left because he didn't like it also. We all hate them. Although my daughter graduated from there after putting most of her hours in at SFA. She still pulls for SFA though.
I'm ashamed to admit that my better half graduated from there, too. BOTPW has not been a happy time for me. I'm normally forced to sit amongst a few thousand putrid-orange-clad loud mouths berating our great university. (But I get more than even in hoops season.)
beaubrad46
I don't think that I could do what you do. I might attack one of them and get banned from watching SFA sports for my lifetime. That is if Sam's fans didn't kill me first.
No-look
When is the deadline for signing players for current year? I still believe we need another guard to replace Canete. John and Aaron did very good and they should be better this year. But one sprained ankle and things could change. Hoping Jock can adjust to D1 quickly.
beaubrad46
I don't think that there really isn't a deadline except for when they have to be enrolled in school before the deadline for registering in classes. I remember on year under Kaspar a player signed about two weeks after school started. His last name was Daniels. I can't remember his first name I think it was Kevin. He ended up being out with a back injury before conference started and it ended his career.
MasterAxe
beaubrad46 said:

Template for taking transfers:

Do we have a starter at that position? Yes
Do we have a backup? Yes
Did we dominate him when we played? Yes
Did Jason Hooten like him? Yes
Is he from trash...err, rival school? Yes

Sorry, Dewey, take your "talents" to Sul Ross.
beaubrad46
He's a good player. Would he help us? Maybe. Maybe not. That's up to Keller.
SFAJack_76
SFA was "considered." Under appreciated I think.

TallTexan
Under appreciated for sure, but I'm just excited to see our non conf schedule. That'll give us a chance to earn some appreciation from writers out there.
PurpleOut
Staff
Nah on Dewey. He's decent, but I didn't find him that great. Wouldn't take him over Aaron or John.
Jacks4460
PurpleOut said:

Nah on Dewey. He's decent, but I didn't find him that great. Wouldn't take him over Aaron or John.
Aaron and John gonna shine this year!!!
beaubrad46
We need another guard whether he is a point guard , combo or a two guard. Dewey can also play the two and he is a decent shooter. The more ball handlers on the court the better. It would be better to sign him than to not have thirteen scholarship players. Besides he has a revenge motive against Sam. Are there better guards out there. Probably but the list is getting thin. He can score. We shall see.
PurpleOut
Staff
beaubrad46 said:

It would be better to sign him than to not have thirteen scholarship players.
Eh, maybe. I've heard different things on why he's leaving, having a random player regardless of how good he is isn't always the best situation if he's not a team player. That's exactly what we don't need.

He's a decent shooter, but below average in creating his own shot IMO.
beaubrad46
We don't really need creators we need players who fit into our system in my opinion. I'll still take him as a role player over nothing but it's probably a hypothetical anyway. I'm just addicted to SFA basketball and I'm not getting enough of it. I'm not a big football fan although I certainly want us to win although I'm not very optimistic. He left because Sam signed another point guard that is highly rated. He's not like Grujic. He's used to playing. He also can't stand Hooten.
cboothe09
I'm not for taking a body just for the purpose of taking a body. If that is the case, then give Harrison Perkins or Rance Cole a look for that spot.
beaubrad46
He's not just a body. He can play. He's improved every year. He would be even better here. I'll take him over a walk on. How are you going to respond if Keller actually signed him? Think about it. Hey, he was third team all Southland. We'll see. I rest my case.
nacluth
No question he's better than a hole in our lineup, but I'm curious why you think he would have immediate eligibility? He played all last year. Wouldn't he have to sit a year? I could understand filling a need this year, but not for next.
beaubrad46
He's a senior.. I think that I read that he would be eligible immediately but I certainly could be wrong. I agree we wouldn't want him to redshirt this year. We need a player for this year. I was surprised that we signed a player that is going to have to sit out a year already but I won't undermine the coaches. I'm sure that they had their reasons or at least I hope so.
SFAJack_76
What I see is that Dewey played one year at Blinn and two at Sam. If he transfers to a D1 school, he will have to sit one to play one. That is not where I would like to see us use that last scholarship.

I am in the camp that does not want to use the scholarship just to use it. I also prefer we not go into thr season two scholarship players short. Injuries do happen so starting two down would not be comfortable.

Against the grain perhaps, I have more concern about our inside play than guard where we have Augustin, Comeaux, Bogues, and Hughes. Harris can also swing between guard and forward. Inside, other than T.J. and Harris, we are counting on guys that for various reasons, including injury, have not been significant contributors, a grad transfer that has had injury issues, and a freshman.
No-look
I wish someone would give an update on a few things. I know there's not much activity right now and there is a master plan at work but would be nice to feel a pulse. Lol.
cboothe09
With guys reporting back for summer workouts, I feel some news isn't far away...
BigJack85
I'm with 76. My concern is also that we don't have solid backup options should TJ go down or struggle (not likely) we have limited options. IMO we'll probably have the best 6-7 man rotation. After that it depends how the juco additions for in and of any of the newbies blossom quick. We could skip to as low 4-5 in conference if we have a couple of bad breaks.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
beaubrad46
You are forgetting Devante Fitzgerald and Seraille. If you are going to be short on a position don't let it be guard. Some of the better lineups are four guard lineups. Guards can do more than big men can. GIve me guards but I think that Dewy maybe a graduate transfer. I don't care if it's him or not but I want a guard. Big men are often project players. We'll see.
No-look
Are Fitzgerald and Serialle on campus yet?
BigJack85
beaubrad46 said:

You are forgetting Devante Fitzgerald and Seraille. If you are going to be short on a position don't let it be guard. Some of the better lineups are four guard lineups. Guards can do more than big men can. GIve me guards but I think that Dewy maybe a graduate transfer. I don't care if it's him or not but I want a guard. Big men are often project players. We'll see.

Not forgetting just skeptical that they will have impact until late in the season. Transferring in and all.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

beaubrad46 said:

Not forgetting just skeptical that they will have impact until late in the season. Transferring in and all.
That is where I am. Fitzgerald had a really good freshman year at A&M until his first knee injury. Not much since then other than in spots. Seraille is a true freshman. Good potential, but a true freshman. Bain has battled injury. Nieminen has had his moments, but not enough yet. Gru is Gru. Great team member by all accounts with very limited on-court contribution.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.