2020-2021 Lumberjack Basketball

177,312 Views | 1144 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleOut said:

Don't think it's been officially announced, but Keller mentioned tonight that there would be no tournament this season for these guys.
I guess we got the approval from the NCAA. Maybe 2-3 of the seniors will play one more year just to experience WAC competition and a chance to make the Big Dance then.

BTW, where did you hear Keller say that? On the radio, or are there post-game video interviews?
jboy93
Do we know how close the seniors are to graduation? Many take five years to graduate so is it too much to think they will all be back? That's if they are really here for the education!
jboy93
Prison Tech beat ACU in a low scoring game. Is PT the real deal this year or is Hooten just dreaming?
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

PurpleOut said:

Don't think it's been officially announced, but Keller mentioned tonight that there would be no tournament this season for these guys.
I guess we got the approval from the NCAA. Maybe 2-3 of the seniors will play one more year just to experience WAC competition and a chance to make the Big Dance then.

BTW, where did you hear Keller say that? On the radio, or are there post-game video interviews?
Post game zoom video. SFA athletics
nacluth
jboy93 said:

Prison Tech beat ACU in a low scoring game. Is PT the real deal this year or is Hooten just dreaming?
Hooten is always dreaming.
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

PurpleOut said:

Yeah, make sure you follow them on Facebook. They have a quick Q&A with Keller after each game.
SFAXE93
I'm fine with that (the no tournament this season) as I'm a rip the band aid off type of guy.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

No-look said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Yeah, make sure you follow them on Facebook. They have a quick Q&A with Keller after each game.

I follow them on FB and watch most of their Tuesday coaches interviews, but I didn't know about the post-gamers there.
nacluth
Southland vs. WAC currently. Both are NET bottom dwellers.

And then the WAC:

SFA Jack Fanatic
As I recall, we mentioned here on the Sawmill before the season started that some clueless Bozo sports columnist on the East Coast predicted that McNeese would be the eventual SLC champion. Uh, where are those Cowboys now, Bozo??
sfa17
Yep the road to a SLC title goes through us. It always has.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Southland vs. WAC currently. Both are NET bottom dwellers.

And then the WAC:

All the more reason to ditch the Southland. Not that the WAC is a huge improvement, at least today. Subtract Chicago State while adding #Texas4 should get the WAC up to 15th - 19th in a couple years.
Rev007
Regarding the move to the WAC, that would have been great years ago when it consisted of highly competitive basketball programs. Now, as at least one person has mentioned, it's not much different in status from the Southland. I obviously have no leverage whatsoever in what the school does, but a much better match would be Conference USA. It would be a step up. This is just a personal opinion.
PurpleOut
Staff
Hard for me to take NET rankings seriously this season. New Mexico State has literally only played 3 games this season, and only 1 against a D1 team.
LUMBERJACK2005
jboy93 said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

PurpleOut said:

nacluth said:

No-look said:

Will the WAC be a one bid conference to the Dance?
With the current membership, there has never been an at-large berth. Only three current WAC teams have been to the NCAA's: NMST 26 times, Cal Baptist once in 2016, and Seattle 11 times but the last was in 1969.

There's work to be done, but as far as basketball goes, we're really getting to play New Mexico St. and our other rivals. GCU is a great place to play, but they have been lackluster historically. Cal Baptist has been solid in the short term. Expect the SLC teams to be at the top with NMSU.

It's not a powerhouse basketball league yet despite the hype. It has a better potential than the Southland, but our main competitors are still going to be local.
Agreed. The bright side is that all of these current WAC programs have a much higher ceiling, better facilities and trajectory compared to middle and low end SLC teams. Just in case you haven't seen some of these places:

These pics make me wish, even more, that we would do away with the purple barrier surrounding the court. It's a seriously antiquated design that you don't see anymore, for good reason.
So are you saying everyone should do away with it because almost all have their school colors surrounding the court?
Lol, no I don't have an issue with anything being in our school colors. Though now that you've mentioned it, SFA switching to Carolina blue, , might not be a bad idea.

My issue is with the cement divider (the purple wall) encircling the court. It's an old design that elevated the stands off of the playing floor to improve viewing angles and enhance "player security". IMO, removing them completely would open up the court, giving the gym more modern look and putting the fans a little closer to the action.
jboy93
I totally agree!
PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleOut said:

Hard for me to take NET rankings seriously this season. New Mexico State has literally only played 3 games this season, and only 1 against a D1 team.
To add to this point, we had 3 teams scheduled currently in the Top 75 that we didn't get to play (St. Bonaventure, San Francisco, Rhode Island).
TallTexan
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

jboy93 said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

PurpleOut said:

nacluth said:

No-look said:

Will the WAC be a one bid conference to the Dance?
With the current membership, there has never been an at-large berth. Only three current WAC teams have been to the NCAA's: NMST 26 times, Cal Baptist once in 2016, and Seattle 11 times but the last was in 1969.

There's work to be done, but as far as basketball goes, we're really getting to play New Mexico St. and our other rivals. GCU is a great place to play, but they have been lackluster historically. Cal Baptist has been solid in the short term. Expect the SLC teams to be at the top with NMSU.

It's not a powerhouse basketball league yet despite the hype. It has a better potential than the Southland, but our main competitors are still going to be local.
Agreed. The bright side is that all of these current WAC programs have a much higher ceiling, better facilities and trajectory compared to middle and low end SLC teams. Just in case you haven't seen some of these places:

These pics make me wish, even more, that we would do away with the purple barrier surrounding the court. It's a seriously antiquated design that you don't see anymore, for good reason.
So are you saying everyone should do away with it because almost all have their school colors surrounding the court?
Lol, no I don't have an issue with anything being in our school colors. Though now that you've mentioned it, SFA switching to Carolina blue, , might not be a bad idea.

My issue is with the cement divider (the purple wall) encircling the court. It's an old design that elevated the stands off of the playing floor to improve viewing angles and enhance "player security". IMO, removing them completely would open up the court, giving the gym more modern look and putting the fans a little closer to the action.

I'd rather die than go everywhere dressed like an overgrown toddler.

On the wall though, I looked at it the other day and I'm not sure you could revamp WRJ to exclude the wall without significant costs.

Where the wall is, if you added another front row of seats there instead, it seems like you'd largely be looking at the back of the scoring teams head instead of the game.

Now you could perhaps remove it on the goal ends, but that would likely mean removing the dance teams from the floor.
cboothe09
I kind of like the wall. When we have a full house it looks like fans are spilling over the edge and make it a little more intimidating.
Rev007
Recently there was some news about Kevon getting drafted in the G League. Has there been any news about TJ and if he will be playing professionally overseas or domestically?
SFAJack_76
Rev007 said:

Recently there was some news about Kevon getting drafted in the G League. Has there been any news about TJ and if he will be playing professionally overseas or domestically?

https://sfasawmill.com/forums/8/topics/1880
Rev007
Thank you
SFASawmillGuy
Sucks. Transferring to Tech may have looked appealing but was probably the worst decision of his career.
Had he stayed at SFA we likely would have had a better team, he would've been a star and probably a national icon like Walkup was, and probably on an nba roster.
nacluth
SFA_03 said:

Sucks. Transferring to Tech may have looked appealing but was probably the worst decision of his career.
Had he stayed at SFA we likely would have had a better team, he would've been a star and probably a national icon like Walkup was, and probably on an nba roster.
Frankly our team probably maxed out how good we would be with or without TJ. 28-3 with a win over #1 Duke. But with no postseason, Kevon's struggling.

TJ was always a solid role player inside. He had a chance to step up and be the man in his junior year, but he never really did. Kevon and Bogues both overshadowed him. His stats were very consistent through his career - even at Tech. Tech had gone to the Elite 8, and then the National Championships. Who knows what they would have done last year? European ball is probably a good place for him.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

SFA_03 said:

Frankly our team probably maxed out how good we would be with or without TJ. 28-3 with a win over #1 Duke. But with no postseason, Kevon's struggling.

TJ was always a solid role player inside. He had a chance to step up and be the man in his junior year, but he never really did. Kevon and Bogues both overshadowed him. His stats were very consistent through his career - even at Tech. Tech had gone to the Elite 8, and then the National Championships. Who knows what they would have done last year? European ball is probably a good place for him.
Agree. And, he got his masters degree from Tech to go with his bachelors from SFA.
SFAJack_76
jboy93
Refresh my memory on why the Sam weekend is not a doubleheader?
CertifiedAxeman98
jboy93 said:

They moved the men's game to Sunday to be on ESPNU. However, they did not move the women's game. Sucks we don't get a double header but I like that the men are on ESPNU.
Pilotgirl
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

jboy93 said:

They moved the men's game to Sunday to be on ESPNU. However, they did not move the women's game. Sucks we don't get a double header but I like that the men are on ESPNU.
I wish our #25 (NET) Ladyjacks were on ESPNU as well

Correction: #24, as of today.
CertifiedAxeman98
Agreed but unless you are UConn or a power conference your probably not getting on TV. Schools like Tennessee tend to be a bigger draw since they are power five and have a long history in Women's basketball. They do normally put the Women's southland conference final in Katy on ESPN 2.

We have a NET of 24 but we are not getting votes in the polls unfortunately.

ESPN's Women's bracketology has SFA projected as an 11 seed. The loss to Houston is going to hurt our seeding. I do think we can do some damage as an 11 seed.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology
Pilotgirl
IMO, that starts here....the fan base. And, it's a society-thing, too. But I won't get on that soapbox as I'm the only female here and would never win any kind of discussion/argument.

I'm glad the game will be on ESPNU. Just wish the women would get some exposure as well. Fingers crossed for Katy & NCAA tournament.
CertifiedAxeman98
So looking at the schedule for SAM, ACU, Nicholls and us. Thinking that there may be a good chance this year to have another famous SLC 3 way tie. Head to Head should always matter but not in the SLC. Anyone know what the WAC's rules are on 3 way ties?

I normally don't like to root against teams especially since most of my immediate family went to schools in the SLC. But because of the commissioner's comments about Nicholls being his prime example of competitiveness in the SLC, I really hope Nicholls does not win either the regular season or the tourney in Katy. This season was stacked in their favor due to the awesome scheduling of the SLC.

You have the top 4 schools from last year that are picked as the top 4 schools in the preseason poll and you don't schedule them to all play each other. Ridiculous. You should always try and get your top teams playing each other so that they have better NET/Kenpom rankings which will help your conference winner's seeding in the NCAA. Men's basketball SLC scheduling continues to show a complete lack of understanding on how the NCAA tourney seeding process works.
nacluth
CA98. SLC scheduling is the worst. Your point about scheduling strength to strength is a horse I've killed for years. Nicholls co-championship a couple years back was only due to scheduling.

SFA won't be involved in any tiebreaker, so it's at least something we don't have to worry about, but I definitely could see ACU and Sam tied at the end of the year - though I think ACU will actually prevail. Nicholls will get knocked down in the next month.
cboothe09
They have two options...

Go back to divisions. It is simple, and effortless. Play the teams in your division twice, with annually alternating h/a games against teams from the other division.

Performance based. Finished in the bottom half of the league? You play the bottom half next year for your home/away and play one game against top half teams. Give room for improvement and parity in records. Finish in the top half? You play the rest of the top teams for your home/away and then get one game against a weaker opponent...

Wasn't so hard now, was it...

PurpleOut
Staff
All I care about for now is the regular season title...and we control our own destiny there.

If Nicholls wins it because SFA, Sam and ACU all knock each down...they'll have a giant asterisks next to their name.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.