2020-2021 Lumberjack Basketball

178,905 Views | 1144 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yup...gonna watch it this week again
..one year Anniversary Lol
SFA Jack Fanatic
And to sprinkle a little more salt in my personal wound, there went my $29.95 subscription to Flosports.
SFA Jack Fanatic
UMass Lowell is taking our place against USF tomorrow.
cboothe09
Not a ton of preseason love for our guys...
Left out of the Mid-Major Madness Top-25
Third team out in the CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major poll
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

And to sprinkle a little more salt in my personal wound, there went my $29.95 subscription to Flosports.

It's not wasted, just cheer for Towson.
nacluth
The only expectations for this team are the ones we have for ourselves.
jboy93
Duke win just got some love on ESPN again tonight!
PurpleOut
Staff
If you paid for FloHoops ACU vs ETSU should be on there at 10:00.
PurpleOut
Staff
If anyone paid for the FloHoops and isn't using their login this morning...I'd love to borrow it if you're willing.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

I watched a little bit of the first half. 7'0" Kolton Kole from ACU is dominating the paint. And ACU has some very good 3-point shooters. They are leading ETSU by 15 just before the half. ACU will present a challenge to us.
nacluth
Kohl could benefit from a shortened season. It just seems like 7 footers wear down as the season goes on. He's going to be a force to neutralize.
SFAJack_76
Pondering on what the mental state of our guys must be right now. They need a game. Bad. Don't care if it is Hardin Simmons or Hardin-Jefferson. When Keller gathered everybody up to tell them they were going home yesterday (presumably), they had to have flashbacks to March in Katy. Of course it's not near the magnitude of what that was, but it still must have been a real down moment. They prepared for today for eight months, and suddenly it isn't happening.

Leadership of Keller and staff is critical to get the team through this.
nacluth
Agree. We have to get this season rolling. Unlike football, you can't have 20 guys out on protocol. Our schedule is going to be razor tight for these guys to get decent games in. I hope we get the Hardin-Simmons game in. I don't expect much out of Alcorn St., but I would like the warm up first.

One plus is that if the guys get back to campus all the other students are gone. They will have 6 weeks or so of very limited interaction hopefully. Get them on the court and hope that they can establish a normal rhythm. That will do them a world of good.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

PurpleOut said:

I watched a little bit of the first half. 7'0" Kolton Kole from ACU is dominating the paint. And ACU has some very good 3-point shooters. They are leading ETSU by 15 just before the half. ACU will present a challenge to us.

I figured they would be good. Frankly, it's probably ACU, Nicholls, Sam and us. If we stay healthy it's ours to lose.
SFASawmillGuy
And unfortunately every game we don't play is a hit on our Tourny resume. We lost our best non conference games because of this. Just SLC play isn't gonna cut it. Any losses and our seeding takes a monster hit.
cboothe09
Don't overlook McNeese. Not only are they talented, they have a favorable schedule, and most importantly they have something to play for. Don't discount the emotions they are playing with helping lift that community from what they lost...They scare me more than anyone, outside ACU...
nacluth
You're right, but they got absolutely shellacked by the worst BIG10 team today.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

Don't overlook McNeese. Not only are they talented, they have a favorable schedule, and most importantly they have something to play for. Don't discount the emotions they are playing with helping lift that community from what they lost...They scare me more than anyone, outside ACU...
They lost 102-55 to a team on a 17 game losing streak. They do have the ignorant SLC schedule in their favor.
sfa17
cboothe09 said:

I don't think we should be scared of any SLC teams. We shouldn't underestimate them but most of these teams are sub 300 (Very very bad). McNesse is #320 on kenpom. We are trying to be a top 50 team every year. SLC should be like buy games.
sfa17
It's really annoying seeing this Texas teams playing other bad Texas or SLC teams. But too scared to give us a game. So we had to travel across the country. UT vs UTGV, UT vs Sam, UT vs Corpus, UT vs Texas State. SMU vs Sam, Texas Tech vs Northwestern State, tech Vs Sam, tech Vs ACU, tech Vs Corpus, tech Vs UIW. UH vs Lamar, UH vs Sam and UH vs Rice. They are clearly avoiding us and it's BS. Texas tech is playing almost every SLC Texas team. Lol can we get Sam schedule.
SFAJack_76
sfa17 said:

It's really annoying seeing this Texas teams playing other bad Texas or SLC teams. But too scared to give us a game. So we had to travel across the country. UT vs UTGV, UT vs Sam, UT vs Corpus, UT vs Texas State. SMU vs Sam, Texas Tech vs Northwestern State, tech Vs Sam, tech Vs ACU, tech Vs Corpus, tech Vs UIW. UH vs Lamar, UH vs Sam and UH vs Rice. They are clearly avoiding us and it's BS. Texas tech is playing almost every SLC Texas team. Lol can we get Sam schedule.
Agree. We are victims of our own success, combined with the nature of the NCAA system. They gain nothing by beating us, yet know they might lose to a quality team with an RPI drug down by playing in one of the worst conferences in the country.

I don't blame them. The system dictates that we make changes.
SFAXE93
Wow, Sam got a nice schedule!

Maybe this answers the question of yes it is time to make a move to another conference even if it is to spring board us to another better conference later.

The only thing to do is win the conference tourney and enter the NCAA tourney as a #15 and upset Duke again.
sfa17
Yeah, it feels like there was a whole Texas cbb tournament that we were excluded out of. Leaving out the best mid major team in Texas doesn't make sense.
TallTexan
This could all be fixed easily by the selection committee but the big 8 doesn't want it.
SFAXE93
CHECKING THE TEXAS SCHOOLS (and OU) SCHEDULES.

Now you know OU doesn't want no part of us

Looking at this, yep it's not too obvious.

In all fairness McNeese State was left out too

Out of 14 schools, not one bite!

TEXAS TECH
Northwestern State (SLC)
Sam Houston State (SLC)
Abilene Christian (SLC)
Texas A&M CC (SLC)
Incarnate Word (SLC)

TEXAS
Sam Houston State (SLC)
Texas A&M CC (SLC)

BAYLOR
Nicholls (SLC)
Central Arkansas (SLC)

TEXAS A&M
Texas A&M CC (SLC)
New Orleans (SLC)
Tarleton State (WAC)
UTRGV (WAC)
Southeastern Louisiana (SLC)

TCU
Houston Baptist (SLC)
Northwestern State (SLC)
Texas Southern (SWAC)

OKLAHOMA
Houston Baptist (SLC)
UTSA (CUSA)

RICE
Incarnate Word (2X)
Houston Baptist (2X)
Sam Houston State

UTEP
UT Permian Basin

NORTH TEXAS
Texas A&M - Commerce
Houston Baptist

UTA
Northwestern State
Hardin-Simmons
Howard Payne

HOUSTON
Lamar
Sam Houston State
Rice

UTSA
UT Permian Basin
UTRGV
Sul Ross
Our Lady of the Lake
Lamar

SMU
Sam Houston State
Texas A&M CC
Houston Baptist

TEXAS STATE
UMHB
Texas A&M CC 2X
Incarnate Word
Our Lady of the Lake
SFAJack_76
Yet we got sent home from Connecticut for a positive test with a staff member.
No-look
I don't question the fact that COVID is real and very serious. But I do wonder about the accuracy of the testing. Seeing where players test negative, then positive and negative again in a two day period...
TallTexan
What?

TallTexan
No-look said:

I don't question the fact that COVID is real and very serious. But I do wonder about the accuracy of the testing. Seeing where players test negative, then positive and negative again in a two day period...

A lot of it has to do with how the tests are setup. Basically, the rapid test is about 50% accurate and the nasal swab is meant to be more accurate. Given the nature, these are probably rapid tests. Not a perfect system, but the best we currently have.

If you're getting tested for having symptoms, they'll usually do the rapid test in combination with a nasal swab test.
Pilotgirl
What Texan said...if you get a positive rapid test, follow up with the PCR. Free advice from the contact tracer in the fam. Oh, and avoid grocery stores and eating in restaurants as much as possible.
SFASawmillGuy
Man. With how good URI and USF turned out to be that would've done wonders for our strength of schedule.
Rev007
I can't wait for 2020 to end...worst year of my life (so far...haha). Covid-19 has been a b word.

As many of you did, I wanted to see how our new team performed against Kansas and a couple other non-conference schools with teams far superior to our competition in the southland conference (lower case).

However, we still have a schedule, even if it changes daily. Barring a major Covid-19 outbreak, what are the odds we run the table from here to the southland conference tournament? It's possible, but there is always a hiccup or two, right? I'd honestly rather see a couple of losses so our players don't get the big head.

Who can beat us in our abbreviated schedule? Only ourselves.

I'm starting to think that Gavin, Roti, and Cameron will provide the Senior leadership requisite to finish a perfect regular season and a southland conference championship. They were excellent role players as well as major contributors last year on Kevon's, John's, and Nate's team. I believe they will step up and take the leadership roles, and we will have a better passing and defensive team.

Stay safe and let's have a hiccup-less season!
SFAJack_76
Alcorn scheduled to play in Nacogdoches on December 5, following the Ladyjack game. Their game at Kent State today is cancelled. They are scheduled to play at Purdue Fort Wayne on Thursday. Haven't found anything on that one yet. This does not bode well.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Alcorn scheduled to play in Nacogdoches on December 5, following the Ladyjack game. Their game at Kent State today is cancelled. They are scheduled to play at Purdue Fort Wayne on Thursday. Haven't found anything on that one yet. This does not bode well.

The season from Hell continues.
BigJack85
Rev007 said:

I can't wait for 2020 to end...worst year of my life (so far...haha). Covid-19 has been a b word.

As many of you did, I wanted to see how our new team performed against Kansas and a couple other non-conference schools with teams far superior to our competition in the southland conference (lower case).

However, we still have a schedule, even if it changes daily. Barring a major Covid-19 outbreak, what are the odds we run the table from here to the southland conference tournament? It's possible, but there is always a hiccup or two, right? I'd honestly rather see a couple of losses so our players don't get the big head.

Who can beat us in our abbreviated schedule? Only ourselves.

I'm starting to think that Gavin, Roti, and Cameron will provide the Senior leadership requisite to finish a perfect regular season and a southland conference championship. They were excellent role players as well as major contributors last year on Kevon's, John's, and Nate's team. I believe they will step up and take the leadership roles, and we will have a better passing and defensive team.

Stay safe and let's have a hiccup-less season!

Abilene Christian..... that's going to be the big challenge.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.