2020-2021 Lumberjack Basketball

178,884 Views | 1144 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
Rev007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I keep hearing good reviews about Posey. Is he as highly acclaimed as Cam Mack?

If David was any more than a decent backup, he would have played many more minutes last year. I am in the minority here, but that's okay. We all have opinions. Mine is that Kharee, Heckard, Roti, and Posey will get the lion's share of minutes. I hope Brown has some game in the low post, even though his height is a detriment.

Trending up: Roti, Heckard, Posey, Gavin, Charlie, Cam, Calvin, Kharee

Trending down: David, Oddyst

TBD: Nana, Brown, Hart (need to see improvement), Unknown player to be added later

Starters at beginning of conference play:

Gavin, Roti, Calvin, Cam, Kharee

Biggest problem for 2020-2021 Squad: lack of pure shooters

Biggest improvement: better turnover ratio

Wildcard prediction: two players quit or are ushered out; graduate transfer comes to the rescue

SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007 said:

I keep hearing good reviews about Posey. Is he as highly acclaimed as Cam Mack?

If David was any more than a decent backup, he would have played many more minutes last year. I am in the minority here, but that's okay. We all have opinions. Mine is that Kharee, Heckard, Roti, and Posey will get the lion's share of minutes. I hope Brown has some game in the low post, even though his height is a detriment.

Trending up: Roti, Heckard, Posey, Gavin, Charlie, Cam, Calvin, Kharee

Trending down: David, Oddyst

TBD: Nana, Brown, Hart (need to see improvement), Unknown player to be added later

Starters at beginning of conference play:

Gavin, Roti, Calvin, Cam, Kharee

Biggest problem for 2020-2021 Squad: lack of pure shooters

Biggest improvement: better turnover ratio

Wildcard prediction: two players quit or are ushered out; graduate transfer comes to the rescue

Posey was considered by many to be the best HS player in the DFW area. Mack never got that level of recognition in the Houston area.

What do you mean by saying that David is "trending down"? According to who?? He was a valuable member of the team the whole season.

I can see Walker being asked to enter the transfer portal. He has made very few contributions to the team in either of the last two seasons.
BigJack85
I'm with you fanatic. Kalcheries is a little more useful from a versatility perspective. He can man both the 1 and 2 slot. Not saying he's the best in the conference at either position.... He certainly made some clutch shots last season. The only downside I see is that he gets a little frustrated when he can't slice in and will occasionally rush shots. Not every game ,, probably not even 1/3 of the games. He also allows us to quickly go 7-8 deep.
wahlwesle
I didn't think David was that bad. I see him getting the start next year, along with Roti, Gavin, Charlie, and Cameron. Calvin may fight pretty hard for Charlie's spot, but I bet he ends up coming off the bench early and often instead of starting.

Kharee is going to have to prove himself before I give him praise. I am optimistic about his future, but I haven't seen him play enough. Another unknown is Brown. I too am optimistic about him.

It's nice thinking about this and realizing we will have another pretty deep bench next year.
Rev007
Nice discussion about David and the rest of the team. There's no doubt we will be a deep team again. David's definitely not chopped liver. When we signed him, I watched all the tape showing his highlights. I was really excited, but maybe the level of competition he was playing against was not that great. If he can get that three point shot going consistently, he is for sure an asset. I may be way off in my thinking, but his attitude is going to be the most important factor.

We are really going to need a go to guy to score. I just don't see it right now, but I'm okay with scoring by committee as long as we generate numerous turnovers and limit our own. That's definitely one thing we can improve on. The other improvement I want to see is guarding the three point line and guarding better against drives along the baseline.

Is it possible that Oddyst can turn the corner in year three? We found out that he has a really good three point shot in warm ups, but his ball handling is weak. Does he add value to the team or is the transfer portal the best option for him and the team?

I may have pie in the sky thinking or may be downright delusional, but I see the team adding another player.
Rev007
Sorry to post so much, but can Calvin Solomon's free throw shooting woes be solved in the off season? I'm seeing a 12-14 point a night scorer if he can gain a little more confidence in his shot.
RichieVan
It's funny you mention foul shooting, because I was thinking about the offer I made to help Calvin. I haven't touched a basketball in nearly two years and, because of boredom and COVID-19, my daughter asked to shoot some hoops.

I promptly went to the free throw line and, without warming up, hit 7 of 10.

There is no excuse for any player at this level to not hit 70% of their free throws. It takes a little practice, technique and muscle memory.

My offer still stands.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007 said:

Sorry to post so much, but can Calvin Solomon's free throw shooting woes be solved in the off season? I'm seeing a 12-14 point a night scorer if he can gain a little more confidence in his shot.

When all else fails, Calvin could shoot "granny style" underhand free throws. Former NBA superstar Rick Barry shot them that way and had a career average of 89%. He led the league in FT percentage his last three years, topping out at just under 95% in 1979. It would be worth a try since Calvin certainly couldn't do any worse than he did this year. He was painful to watch at the line.
RichieVan
Fanatic, he has the foundation to be a good free throw shooter. His form is awful, but it can be fixed. He shot puts the ball and it comes off his hand flat. He needs serious tinkering all around, but his release and arm angle need the most improvement.
CertifiedAxeman98
RichieVan said:

Fanatic, he has the foundation to be a good free throw shooter. His form is awful, but it can be fixed. He shot puts the ball and it comes off his hand flat. He needs serious tinkering all around, but his release and arm angle need the most improvement.
Agreed. I cringe every time I see him palm the ball on a free throw. It is hard to break old habits but since we are all stuck at home he should lay down in bed with a ball shooting it up off his fingers and catching it over and over again.
RichieVan
A very good exercise is to dribble the ball of the wall continuously with just your fingertips. A player has to trust his/her shot and it must come as instinct. To get there, you need repetition.
PurpleOut
Staff
I don't think David is anything other than a very solid role player.

No offense, but I think you'd be crazy to want last years Mitch over this years Charlie. So far Mitch has shown that he's an athletic freak, but limited skill offensively and couldn't follow defensive assignments. Yeah he'll get a crazy block or put back dunk...but I'll take Charlie every day of the week right now. Definitely a much better team player.

Right now I'd have my starting 5 as Heckard/Ware/Johnson/Solomon/Kensmil. I've always been a big fan of having someone like Johnson or a Clide Geffrard who can be a 6th man and immediately contribute, but I don't see enough of a scoring threat in anyone else to tell me they should start right now. Perhaps Posey because he has some size, but difficult to put that on a freshman right now.
Rev007
Would love to see the equivalent of a Clide Geffrard come off the bench. I guess Demiere Brown is a big unknown. Can he shoot the rock?

Does anyone see a role for Oddyst?
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

I don't think David is anything other than a very solid role player.

No offense, but I think you'd be crazy to want last years Mitch over this years Charlie. So far Mitch has shown that he's an athletic freak, but limited skill offensively and couldn't follow defensive assignments. Yeah he'll get a crazy block or put back dunk...but I'll take Charlie every day of the week right now. Definitely a much better team player.

Right now I'd have my starting 5 as Heckard/Ware/Johnson/Solomon/Kensmil. I've always been a big fan of having someone like Johnson or a Clide Geffrard who can be a 6th man and immediately contribute, but I don't see enough of a scoring threat in anyone else to tell me they should start right now. Perhaps Posey because he has some size, but difficult to put that on a freshman right now.
I agree with your assessment. I'm not sure there's real argument over David. I think he's a solid role player also. My point is that it is nice to have a role player that you can insert "confidently" into the 1 or 2 slots and reliably get 8 - 10 minutes of relief a night. The other thing is that different players offer different attacking options. I like the look of our returning group as long as we don't have any major defection.
Rev007
Does Landon Badgley have potential? If he makes the team, would it be likely he isn't offered a scholarship? Does Nana redshirt his freshmen year and bulk up? Which player or players decides to leave?

There is no doubt we have a deep team, but we can get better. Please sign another big man and Shamir Bogues!!!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007 said:

Does Landon Badgley have potential? If he makes the team, would it be likely he isn't offered a scholarship? Does Nana redshirt his freshmen year and bulk up? Which player or players decides to leave?

There is no doubt we have a deep team, but we can get better. Please sign another big man and Shamir Bogues!!!

Badgley is not on scholarship. I can't see him being offered one.

A redshirt for Nana is certainly a possibility, but we need another big, so probably not.

I think Bogues will end up at UIW. He would be a nice addition here, but we just don't have room for him.
Rev007
Does anyone have inside knowledge about Badgley's potential? The kid is 6'9" with a strong frame.
No-look
This time of year there are a lot of uncertainties. There is usually an addition that's been under the radar that the coaches have been courting that we knew nothing about. I have a feeling that this year might be the same.
PurpleOut
Staff
Rev007 said:

Does anyone have inside knowledge about Badgley's potential? The kid is 6'9" with a strong frame.
There's not a lot on him out there that I've found. I believe he signed with Air Force out of HS, but never made it there. He's a Texas kid, but it's interesting that he would come here as a walk-on and/or sit out instead of going to a JUCO or somewhere else. Definitely has good size, his old tapes makes it seem like he's a decent shooter.
LUMBERJACK2005
Southland Transfers: (Trying to keep this updated as transfer destinations update)
Ty Brewer - SE Louisiana - 16.6 ppg - - ETSU
LaQuan Butler - SE Louisiana - 5.5 ppg - UTRGV
Jeremiah Saunders - SE Louisiana - 2.9 ppg

Hayden Koval - Central Arkansas - 12.2 ppg, 7.6 rpg - UNC-GREENSBORO

Ian Dubose - Houston Baptist - 19 ppg, 7.3 rpg. - WAKE FOREST
Qon Murphy - Houston Baptist - 7 ppg - NEW HAMPSHIRE
Noah Thomasson - Houston Baptist - 4 ppg - BUTLER C.C.
Benjamin Uloko - Houston Baptist - 8 ppg, 4 rpg
Nick Jones - Houston Baptist - 1 ppg

Xavier Bryant - Sam Houston State - 5.5 ppg
Bubba Furlong - Sam Houston State - 2.2 ppg - NW OKLAHOMA STATE
Dajuan Jones - Sam Houston State - 2.9 ppg. - ARKANSAS MONTICELLO
RJ Smith - Sam Houston State -7.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg
Mark Tikhonenko - Sam Houston State - 3.6 ppg, 2 rpg. - CHATTANOOGA

Augustine Ene - Incarnate Word - 5.9 ppg - TEXAS A&M-COMMERCE
Ryan Flores - Incarnate Word -1 ppg
Vincent Miszkiewicz - Incarnate Word - 6.5 ppg, 7.2 rpg - PURDUE NORTHWEST
Dwight Murray - Incarnate Word - 9.6 ppg - RIDER
Antoine Smith - Incarnate Word - 7.3 ppg,3.3 rpg (2018-2019)
Morgan Taylor - Incarnate Word - 7.4 ppg

Raquan Brown - New Orleans - 3.1 ppg - UNC ASHEVILLE
Gerrale Gates - New Orleans - 8.4 ppg, 5.6 rpg - ALBANY
Amari Haynes - New Orleans - 5 ppg in 3 games - BARRY

Warith Alatishe - Nicholls State - 10.9 ppg, 8.3 rpg - OREGON STATE
Lorenzo McGhee - Nicholls State - 5.4 ppg - MINNESOTA STATE - MOORHEAD
Rygle Lyons - Nicholls State - 2.1 ppg - PITTSBURG STATE
Kevin Johnson - Nicholls State - 9.8 ppg
Justice Kithcart - Nicholls State - WINSTON-SALEM STATE
Lafayette Dorsey - Nicholls State

Dominique Kennedy - Northwestern State - 4 ppg
Gatdoar Kueth - Northwestern State - 1.7 ppg, 1.9 rpg - MINNESOTA STATE - MOORHEAD
Chudier Bile - Northwestern State - 14.3 ppg, 7.3 rpg - GEORGETOWN

Jalon Clark - TAMUCC - 1.3 ppg
Edgars Kaufmanis - TAMUCC - .7 ppg
Aristotelis Sotiriou - TAMUCC .5 ppg

Jordan Wallace - LAMAR

Oddyst Walker - SFASU - ALCORN STATE

Sam Baker - McNeese State - ANGELO STATE
Leondre Washington, Jr. - McNeese State

TRANSFERS INTO THE SLC: (Classification listed is their class when eligible)
6'4 - G - Junior - Harwin Francois - Southern Illinois (4.2 ppg, 2.2 rpg) --> McNeese State
6'8 - F - Senior - KeyShawn Feazell - Mississippi State (1.4 ppg, 1.8 rpg.) --> McNeese State
6'6 - G - Sophomore - Christian "CJ" Jackson - UMASS (1.5 ppg., .2 rpg) --> McNeese State
6'4 - G - Sophomore - Zach Scott - FGCU (10.8 ppg, 4.1 rpg) --> McNeese State
6'7 - F - Senior - Elijah Ifejeh - La Monroe (2 ppg, 2 rpg) --> Southeastern La.
6'1 - G - Senior - Keon Clergeot - UMASS (5 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1..5 apg) --> Southeastern La.
5'11 - G - Senior - Derek St. Hilaire - Jacksonville State (7 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.9 apg ) --> New Orleans
6'7 - F - Senior - Isaiah Jones - Southern Miss --> New Orleans
6'0 - G - Senior - JiTaurious Gordon - Troy (12.1 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 3.2 apg) --> Nicholls State
6'7 - F - Senior - Damien Sears - St. Johns (1.2 ppg, 1.9 rpg) --> Nicholls State
6'7 - F - Senior - Samson George - Pittsburgh (.7 ppg, .9 rpg) --> Central Arkansas
6'2 - G - Nigel Hawkins - UTEP --> Stephen F. Austin
Axe 'Em!
c/o 2005
SFASawmillGuy
Our SFA team should be better next year obviously, but with the rate the best players on other teams are leaving any SLC losses would be so much worse now.
BigJack85
Sadly, I believe getting quality out of conference opponents will be MORE difficult. The Duke victory along with 28 total wins means we are probably stuck with a litany of Arlington Baptist, Howard Payne etc. maybe we'll catch a break and get a couple Power 5 games.
sfa17
Im really hoping we can get into a non-conference tournament. That would be huge. And there is usually 1 or 2 mid major teams in those tournaments along with a few P5 teams.
RichieVan
A look at our non-conference schedule for 2019-2020:

NC Central-was that a one way or a home and home?
Niagara-was part of the Rutgers tournament played on campus sites
Drexel-same as above
Rutgers-same as above
Duke-one way and one time
Arkansas State-was that a home and home?
Alabama-concluded the home and home
Louisiana-Monroe-we've been playing the consistently. Another return date?

I doubt NC Central was home and home. The other possibilities for 2020-2021 would be Arkansas State and ULM. Not much to work with.

Keller has his work cut out for him.
No-look
Sooo, Duke wasn't a home and home? Lol. Gonna be hard to get P5 games. Our recent history includes road wins at LSU, Baylor and Duke.
.. And lost at Missouri by one or two and lead Tech until three minutes. Who wants a mid major loss on their resume?
Rev007
Any idea where Hayden Koval is headed? Would love to have someone with his height and skill level on our team.
PurpleOut
Staff
Rev007 said:

Any idea where Hayden Koval is headed? Would love to have someone with his height and skill level on our team.
Haven't seen anything other than fans of schools mentioning him.
LUMBERJACK2005
I saw where Quan Jackson, grad transfer from Georgia Southern, has us in his final 10. Ranked by Jeff Goodman as 30th best transfer.
Axe 'Em!
c/o 2005
SFA Jack Fanatic
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

I saw where Quan Jackson, grad transfer from Georgia Southern, has us in his final 10. Ranked by Jeff Goodman as 30th best transfer.

Been talking about him over on the Recruiting thread.
sfa17
The closest thing to sports we currently have.

nacluth
In what sick world is Gonzaga a 5 seed?
No-look
nacluth said:

I was wondering the same thing. Lol
sfa17
nacluth said:

I think it's based on the number of followers their mbb has on Twitter. For example UMBC and Nevada are in the bracket but would have not been in the real tourney.

32 autobids go to #1 followed team in each conference. We got autobids SLC
TallTexan
Quote:

This sick world!
LUMBERJACK2005
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

Been talking about him over on the Recruiting thread.
My bad, I missed that.
Axe 'Em!
c/o 2005

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.