2020-2021 Lumberjack Basketball

177,321 Views | 1144 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cboothe09 said:

Aaaand now for a SLC/WAC comparison

Southland Kenpom 276.2/CBS 267
SFA 144/105
ACU 153/194
Lamar 245/212
UCA 257/290
NWST 268/231
Nicholls 278/295
SHSU 290/232
TAMUCC 310/293
UNO 313/318
McNeese 316/309
SLU 322/327
UIW 346/335
HBU 349/330

WAC Kenpom 271.6/CBS 261.3
New Mexico State 104/93
Grand Canyon 163/219
UTRGV 237/239
Cal Baptist 298/253
Utah Valley 314/291
Seattle 319/242
Dixie State 321/333
Tarleton 335/326
Chicago State 354/356

You should post this on twitter.

This move still doesn't make great sense to me.
cboothe09
I made things a little interesting...Added up what the WAC would look like with the Texas 4, and dropping Chicago State (Something that is rumored to happen if the Texas 4 join)

Kenpom: 243.6

CBS: 228.3
RichieVan
Schedule has been released.

https://sfajacks.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2020-21

Mohegan Sun games, ULM, Arkansas State comes to town and four non-D1 games.
Disappointing.
cboothe09
Non-Conference:
vs. Rhode Island (Neutral Site)
vs. St. Bonaventure (Mohegan Sun MTE)
vs. Towson (Mohegan Sun MTE)
vs. Hardin Simmons
vs. Alcorn State
vs. LeTourneau
@ UL-Monroe
vs. Arkansas State
vs. LSU-Shreveport
vs. Paul Quin
vs. SLU

Conference:
vs. UNO
@ TAMUCC
vs. UCA
@ UIW
vs. NWST
vs. Lamar
@ ACU
vs. SHSU
@ UNO
vs. TAMUCC
@ UCA
vs. UIW
@ NWST
@ Lamar

Notable Omissions: McNeese, SLU, Nicholls, HBU
Jacks4460
we will be undefeated going into the NCAA's
ljax1979
I know I'm pushing my luck here but does anyone know if we (or any other D1 teams) will play any closed door exhibition games?
SFASawmillGuy
This is probably the weakest schedule we've had in a decade.
jboy93
So is the SLU game considered a non conference game?
nacluth
Originally they had said that we would go down to a 16 game conference schedule, so we had scheduled SLU and someone else (UNO?) for the non conference part of schedule to have more D1 teams. Now it looks like we're to 14 lackluster SLC games plus SLU.
nacluth
Jacks4460 said:

we will be undefeated going into the NCAA's

That is the kind of optimism I like to see, but it's true that a 2 loss season is a non-zero possibility.
SFAJack_76
ljax1979 said:

I know I'm pushing my luck here but does anyone know if we (or any other D1 teams) will play any closed door exhibition games?
No exhibition/scrimmage games allowed this year per the NCAA.
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

ljax1979 said:

No exhibition/scrimmage games allowed this year per the NCAA.
Maybe our defense can create havoc on the early games. And hope we don't turn the ball over as much.
No-look
Is everyone healthy?
SFA Jack Fanatic
Gavin is SLC Preseason First Team and Roti Second Team.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cam is on one of the All-Conference teams at the end of the season. And expect Nigel to make an immediate impact, too, Newcomer of the Year, perhaps.
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

Is everyone healthy?
In the weekly Facebook Live coaches press conference yesterday, Keller mentioned that Posey had been out for several weeks. Others on here had picked that up. Also, he said that Johnson had been out "a lot" due to injury. That was the first I had heard that.
HJC69
We will be undefeated going into the conference tournament.
nacluth
Just fair to point out, with this schedule our whole national standing will be based on the first weekend of play. Even if we run the board, I doubt we'll hear any kind of ranking talk like we did last year.
sfa17
We would be lucky if 1 teams we face this season ends up being top 100. Very underwhelming schedule Bc of COVID
djsfw57
Too bad about the schedule. I was really looking forward to beating Kansas this year.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

Is everyone healthy?
In the weekly Facebook Live coaches press conference yesterday, Keller mentioned that Posey had been out for several weeks. Others on here had picked that up. Also, he said that Johnson had been out "a lot" due to injury. That was the first I had heard that.

Any idea what their issues are?
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

Is everyone healthy?

I don't know.
PurpleOut
Staff
sfa17 said:

We would be lucky if 1 teams we face this season ends up being top 100. Very underwhelming schedule Bc of COVID
It may not end up being a huge deal, but the first three games are huge. Rhode Island and St. Bonaventure can easily finish as Top 100 teams, getting a few wins out of the MTE would be big.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

Is everyone healthy?

I don't know.

While Posey's injury must be pretty substantial, Cam's situation is a more immediate issue, with only 20 days to tipoff. He's going to be a MAJOR contributor this year. Hopefully, he will get his injuries behind him before the trip to Connecticut.
ljax1979
I'm actually fine with the schedule. We don't have any high major buy games but let's be honest with empty arenas and our win vs. Duke last year (along with a consistently competitive team) why would anyone schedule us.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

Is everyone healthy?

I don't know.

While Posey's injury must be pretty substantial, Cam's situation is a more immediate issue, with only 20 days to tipoff. He's going to be a MAJOR contributor this year. Hopefully, he will get his injuries behind him before the trip to Connecticut.

How is Demiere Brown projected? Thought he was a solid contributor. Could fill the gap?
LUMBERJACK2005
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Gavin is SLC Preseason First Team and Roti Second Team.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cam is on one of the All-Conference teams at the end of the season. And expect Nigel to make an immediate impact, too, Newcomer of the Year, perhaps.
Really borderline disrespectful that we only put two on preseason all-conference teams.
nacluth
Who else goes on there? It's basically a reflection of last year. Cam was in the discussion for sure, but anyone else you think should be on there?
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

Is everyone healthy?

I don't know.

How is Demiere Brown projected? Thought he was a solid contributor. Could fill the gap?

I don't have much to base this one on, but Johnson seems to be more athletic than Brown. Brown is more of a mid-sized big, from what little I've seen of him. Does anyone have other opinions or info on him?
PurpleOut
Staff
I would be happy to be wrong here, but I think he'll just be another body. Don't mean that in a bad way, but from what I heard last year he would still be coming off the bench after Daniels. Depth obviously is a very good thing.
jboy93
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

Is everyone healthy?

I don't know.

I don't have much to base this one on, but Johnson seems to be more athletic than Brown. Brown is more of a mid-sized big, from what little I've seen of him. Does anyone have other opinions or info on hi
At Kilgore Brown was just able to move people with a big body. Don't think he can do that here because of his lack of height, so they will have to figure out how to use him.
Don't sleep on Heckard, I think he will eventually be a big contributor.
No-look
PurpleOut said:

I would be happy to be wrong here, but I think he'll just be another body. Don't mean that in a bad way, but from what I heard last year he would still be coming off the bench after Daniels. Depth obviously is a very good thing.
Wasn't he top 100 JUCO?
LUMBERJACK2005
nacluth said:

Who else goes on there? It's basically a reflection of last year. Cam was in the discussion for sure, but anyone else you think should be on there?
Fair point. I was thinking Johnson should have been on a team. I realize he hasn't played a game in the conference, but I think Hawkins could have been in the conversation based on what he has done in a bigger league.
nacluth
I'm looking forward to see what Hawkins can do.

Cam should be in the postseason conversation if he can stay healthy. I will say his numbers dropped off marginally in the back half of the season last year. He started off blazing fast, and then conference length seemed to slow him down.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Cam should be in the postseason conversation if he can stay healthy. I will say his numbers dropped off marginally in the back half of the season last year. He started off blazing fast, and then conference length seemed to slow him down.
I think it's worth noting that Cam also went through a lot during that period. He had at least one, if not a few deaths to those really close to him. I remember he went to a funeral in Arkansas for one, and drove back to play that night.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

nacluth said:

I think it's worth noting that Cam also went through a lot during that period. He had at least one, if not a few deaths to those really close to him. I remember he went to a funeral in Arkansas for one, and drove back to play that night.
As I recall, he attended a funeral in Arkansas (Little Rock?) flew to Houston, getting to Huntsville less than an hour before game time. All at his own expense.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.