2020-2021 Lumberjack Basketball

178,336 Views | 1144 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
sfa17
How long do you want to ignore this user?

No-look
This is good. Right?
sfa17
Yeah, the good kind of turnover machine
wahlwesle
I'm not familiar with Pivot Analysis or what "adjusted for opponent" means, but this is pretty cool.
RichieVan
Well, here we go. Joe Lunardi of ESPN has Abilene Christian winning the Southland bid and seeded 16.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Jerry Palm of CBS has the Jacks winning and being a 13 seed.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

TallTexan
Lunardi is the absolute worst at this.
BigJack85
Palm is good because "ACTUALLY" looks into mid tier conferences. Lunardi really looks at the Power 5 and few of the other top tier conferences. Beyond that he just throws darts.
SFA Jack Fanatic
RichieVan said:

Well, here we go. Joe Lunardi of ESPN has Abilene Christian winning the Southland bid and seeded 16.

They both have Creighton as a 1 seed. Interesting. Someone bring me up to speed on what they have coming back.
LUMBERJACK2005
They HAD their entire team coming back, now it just looks like Zegarowski (prolly Big East Preaseason POY) and Ballock, with TyShonn Alexander entering the draft. THey just picked up Alex OConnell from Duke and think they will get him eligible immediately. I imagine they will slide down the rankings if Alexander stays in the draft.
Axe 'Em!
c/o 2005
SFAJack_76
As good a thread as any to put this I suppose.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah, it was a good set of opinions. My take was that it's not really fair to compare us to Gonzaga...at all. They've been at this since the 90s, in a much better conference, bigger city, etc. Yeah we can stay here and dominate the Southland, but was does dominating the 30th best league in the nation end up getting you? Not much if you're not also making strides in non-conference and tournament play. We just aren't there yet.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Yeah, it was a good set of opinions. My take was that it's not really fair to compare us to Gonzaga...at all. They've been at this since the 90s, in a much better conference, bigger city, etc. Yeah we can stay here and dominate the Southland, but was does dominating the 30th best league in the nation end up getting you? Not much if you're not also making strides in non-conference and tournament play. We just aren't there yet.

We could boost our budget to Gonzaga levels tomorrow and still not be as good as them. Half of the P5 spends that much and they win 18 games a year.

But I would like to see our 5 year and 10 year plan.

I think the next 5 years, dominating the Southland is our best course of action. But if we can hit two or more sweet 16s, it might make sense to jump to a higher level league in 2025.

TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

We could boost our budget to Gonzaga levels tomorrow and still not be as good as them. Half of the P5 spends that much and they win 18 games a year.

But I would like to see our 5 year and 10 year plan.

I think the next 5 years, dominating the Southland is our best course of action. But if we can hit two or more sweet 16s, it might make sense to jump to a higher level league in 2025.
RichieVan
2016-17 and 2018-19 put a little wrench in our plans. COVID-19 set us back as well. Had we done better in Keller years 1 and 3 and if we had been able to complete this year, I think it would have pushed the discussion ahead and we'd be seeking that new conference now.

If, if, if......I get it.
No-look
All those things help but winning on national tv is the biggie. After the Duke game everyone knows who SFA is That needs to become the norm. Nothing helps as much as winning. It's gonna. E a long offseason.
sfa17
Consistency is key. They are plenty of teams that have had deep runs in tourney and disappeared.

Gonzaga hasn't missed a Ncaa tourney since 1998 and haven't lost in the first rounds since 2008.. Trying to be next Gonzaga might be a bit too much. I think Wichita State or VCU would be a better comparison. Both those teams used their basketball success to get to a better conference.

It starts with beating P5 teams in non-conference. Like we did LSU,Baylor and Duke in the last couple of seasons.It will take several years and good decisions making
sfa17
RichieVan said:

Looks like joe came to his Senses and now has SFA as the 16 seed from southland lmao
RichieVan
How about that, Lunardi did change it. Wonder what the critical factor was that drove the change. Since, you know, there's been so much college basketball activity over the past week.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Coach K had an online session on Instagram tonight. He was asked about how recruiting is being conducted during these times of quarantine. His response was that he does not believe in sending out a lot of offers to unseen recruits as some schools do. He said that he didn't choose his wife via Facebook or Twitter so he doesn't choose players that way either. He wants to see them in person. I took that to mean that nothing is happening on the recruiting trail for '21 and beyond. He said that we already had three great recruits for 2020, also unlike many schools.

Also, Purple Out asked whether anything has been done on the '20-'21 schedule. Unfortunately, it was a short session and there was no time to get an answer to that question.
BigJack85
Good stuff fanatic!
SFAJack_76
Thanks for the notes Fanatic. I don't Instagram, so haven't heard much from the sessions they are having.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Coach K had an online session on Instagram tonight. He was asked about how recruiting is being conducted during these times of quarantine. His response was that he does not believe in sending out a lot of offers to unseen recruits as some schools do. He said that he didn't choose his wife via Facebook or Twitter so he doesn't choose players that way either. He wants to see them in person. I took that to mean that nothing is happening on the recruiting trail for '21 and beyond. He said that we already had three great recruits for 2020, also unlike many schools.

Also, Purple Out asked whether anything has been done on the '20-'21 schedule. Unfortunately, it was a short session and there was no time to get an answer to that question.
Thought it was a great session last night, he did great answering questions and throwing in some jokes. He's even let his beard grow out.

And in regards to the recruiting, I wouldn't say that's necessarily true because we have several offers out to 2021 kids. So we're most definitely touching base with them, and probably any of the other kids we've already been talking to or had visit. Some of these kids the staff has been on for a few years. I think his point was that he's not going to be starting any "new" recruiting during quarantine.
No-look
I wonder how hard they are going after the Collins kid from Atlanta Tx? And if we have a shot at getting him? Has multiple offers.
SFAJack_76
Good read.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Good read.

Thanks for sharing, Alan. In this interview, Keller mentioned the word "trust". He's used that same word in talking about his SFA philosophy on multiple occasions. He even mentioned it in the brief Instagram online session the other night. I love it! It's a real philosophy and not just a buzzword.
nacluth
Did we go 19-1 this SLC season or did I just dream it?
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Did we go 19-1 this SLC season or did I just dream it?

Not sure at this point. The only dream I have is a nightmare of a loss at home to TAMCC.
RichieVan
Transfer portal update.
Players who have committed that played in the Southland in 20119-2020:
Hayden Koval from UCA to North Carolina-Greensboro
Ian DuBose from Houston Baptist to Wake Forest
Qon Murphy from Houston Baptist to New Hampshire
Augustine Ene from UIW to Texas A&M-Commerce
Vincent Miszkiewicz from UIW to Purdue Northwest
D.J. Murray from UIW to Rider
Raquon Brown from UNO to UNC-Asheville
Amari Haynes from UNO to Barry
Warithe Alatishe from Nicholls to Oregon State
Ryghe Lyons from Nicholls to Pittsburg State
Lorenzo McGhee from Nicholls to Minnesota State-Moorhead
Ty Brewer from SELA to East Tennessee State

Players transferring into the Southland:
Samson George, 6'7" 220 from Pittsburgh to UCA
Keyshawn Feazell 6'8" 235 from Mississippi State to McNeese
Harwin Francois 6'4" 190 from Southern Illinois to McNeese
Derek St. Hillaire, 5'11" 180 from Jacksonville State to UNO
JiTarious Gordon, 6' 200 from Troy to Nicholls

Still several players in the transfer portal from the Southland. Sam Houston has 5 in the portal.
LUMBERJACK2005
RichieVan said:

Transfer portal update.
Players who have committed that played in the Southland in 20119-2020:
Hayden Koval from UCA to North Carolina-Greensboro
Ian DuBose from Houston Baptist to Wake Forest
Qon Murphy from Houston Baptist to New Hampshire
Augustine Ene from UIW to Texas A&M-Commerce
Vincent Miszkiewicz from UIW to Purdue Northwest
D.J. Murray from UIW to Rider
Raquon Brown from UNO to UNC-Asheville
Amari Haynes from UNO to Barry
Warithe Alatishe from Nicholls to Oregon State
Ryghe Lyons from Nicholls to Pittsburg State
Lorenzo McGhee from Nicholls to Minnesota State-Moorhead
Ty Brewer from SELA to East Tennessee State

Players transferring into the Southland:
Samson George, 6'7" 220 from Pittsburgh to UCA
Keyshawn Feazell 6'8" 235 from Mississippi State to McNeese
Harwin Francois 6'4" 190 from Southern Illinois to McNeese
Derek St. Hillaire, 5'11" 180 from Jacksonville State to UNO
JiTarious Gordon, 6' 200 from Troy to Nicholls

Still several players in the transfer portal from the Southland. Sam Houston has 5 in the portal.
I keep this updated on page 2 of this thread, just fyi.
Axe 'Em!
c/o 2005
RichieVan
Thanks! Saves me typing.
sfa17

They have a Cbb podcast.
SFAJack_76
With the Hawkins commitment, we are now one over the scholarship limit. Who is not getting theirs renewed, and will not be on the 2020-2021 roster?
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

With the Hawkins commitment, we are now one over the scholarship limit. Who is not getting theirs renewed, and will not be on the 2020-2021 roster?
I wish everyone could stay but looks like someone will have to go. It's a hard business sometimes.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I wish everyone could stay but looks like someone will have to go. It's a hard business sometimes.

A very reliable source tells me that no one will be leaving.
No-look
Good news.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.