2020-2021 Lumberjack Basketball

178,887 Views | 1144 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's a really excellent point on the new teams part.

I'm fine taking a lot of incoming transfers, but we need to do better at finding more Kevons and Bains.
ljax1979
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Maybe it's just a new era of basketball, but year five with recruits only from the previous year continues to bother me.

A little school by the name of Gonzaga seems to be doing fairly well by bringing onboard a ton of transfers every year.

Methinks thou doest worry too much, nacluth.
No-look
cboothe09 said:

Since that original post, I keep checking for Hart in the background and he has been noticeably absent. Checked the roster and he is no longer listed...
Hate to lose Hart. A lot of potential there. Lot of issues also it seems. Wish him well wherever he winds up.... speaking of recruiting, we lose a lot of key players this year. Need another class like Kensmil, Roti, Cam, David, Charlie...
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

cboothe09 said:

Since that original post, I keep checking for Hart in the background and he has been noticeably absent. Checked the roster and he is no longer listed...
Hate to lose Hart. A lot of potential there. Lot of issues also it seems. Wish him well wherever he winds up.... speaking of recruiting, we lose a lot of key players this year. Need another class like Kensmil, Roti, Cam, David, Charlie...

Yeah, the young man's got talent, but apparently he's lacking in other desirable behaviors. Keller runs a tight, disciplined ship. If you'll recall, Hart got in Coach K's doghouse almost from the get-go. That was a warning sign of what might happen later, and apparently it has. It's interesting to note that he has not yet entered the transfer portal.
nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

A little school by the name of Gonzaga seems to be doing fairly well by bringing onboard a ton of transfers every year.

I thought I would do a comparison between Gonzaga and ourselves just to check on high school recruiting. Of course some caveats: Gonzaga is a perennial top 10 team with one coach. We are not and have had two coaches from 2014 to present (which is the time frame I looked at).

Since the 2014-2015 season:
Gonzaga: High school recruits - 24
One year players: 4
Two year players: 3
Three year players: 4
4 year/Graduated: 7
Current multi-year players: 6

Average recruit tenure (no longer with program): 2.89 years

SFA: High school recruits - 23
One year players: 13
Two year players: 2
Three year players: 1
4 year/Graduated: 5
Current multi-year players: 2

Average recruit tenure (no longer with program): 1.95

These numbers include all freshman players for both teams from high quality to walk-ons.

Underwood had 9 freshmen in his three years. 4 walk-ons played one year. Out of 5 freshman recruits, 4 graduated from SFA. Only Lasani Johnson was one and done.

Keller has had 14 freshmen in four years. 4 walk-ons played one year. Out of 10 freshmen recruits, Harris graduated, Nieminen went three years, Augustin and Walker finished two seasons. Four players left after year 1. Solomon and McDaniel still on team.

-I believe Gonzaga lost three player to the draft in the time period recorded. Also I'm including Khorrie Stewart as a Keller walk-on, but I'm pretty sure he was a last minute recruit. Also Cam Mack is not included in the numbers because he never suited up.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I thought I would do a comparison between Gonzaga and ourselves just to check on high school recruiting.

You're making me look bad, nacluth. Shouldn't you be varnishing a guitar or something?? (But I still think you worry too much.)
nacluth
Ha! That's exactly what I should be doing.

Actually I'm not that worried. I think Keller really does a good job. I think we have gotten great transfers. We just beat the #1 team in America (that just happened right?). And, Gonzaga is a stud team that gets the best recruits in the nation. No real complaints or worries.

I'm just curious why we can't keep these top recruiting classes that it seems like Keller is bringing in. We arguably just had the best season in school history(*), and we also lost our best recruit from last year (on paper).
Pilotgirl
Nieminen left because of so many injuries...I think if he had less injury, he would've been all 4 years. When there are so many variables, it is difficult to pick a part exact reason why a player transfers. I think this year and next will be a toss up as well....COVID this year & not being eligible for post season play the next season. Keller can't be blamed for those 2 factors (not saying he is just that there is more going on outside of the court).
TallTexan
It's definitely more the disconnect in retention vs results for me that concerns me.

At this point, I'm starting to think it's us. We can't be Taylor Swift and write songs about it being the other person's fault forever.

Granted I think Kharee, Calvin, and Jaylon are going to be the dudes we need.

But still, I want to make sure we're not having this convo again next offseason.
Pilotgirl
But it wouldn't surprise me if we are....First, due to us not being able to play in the post-season and second, just from NCAA relaxing transfer rules and I think this is a new wave of behavior (transferring) that we are seeing...students wanting to play or not liking a program, so they look elsewhere. Now, I don't think that our program is not causing some issues but they should really be looking at how to best mitigate kids transferring out.
sfa17
The Transferring isnt necessarily bad, its the part about our top high school recruits leaving that we probably as a fan base wanted to keep (Bc of talent). Cutting someone like O is different from cutting hart and Mitchell
PurpleOut
Staff
FWIW, I've heard Posey is doing really well in practice.
No-look
PurpleOut said:

. Doesn't surprise me. He put a 6A school on his shoulders and played the #1 6A team to a point in the playoffs. He should be a huge factor this year.
SFAJack_76
You take a shot on a talented 18 year old kid. Most away from whatever home they have for the first time in their life. Many suddenly have rules they have to adhere to for the first time in their life. Some choose to break the rules often enough, or egregiously enough, that they have to go. They don't want to be on time, or they don't want to take care of academics, or they insist on smoking pot, or ...
That's not the coaches or staff''s fault. Our student-athletes have an amazing support structure. Some choose to do their own thing. You wish them well and part ways. Hence, an advantage of recruiting Juco kids. A couple of years older, and a track record of being away from home in a different environment.

Sometimes, it's just not a fit for the kid, so they look elsewhere. Happens in the "real" world every day. And, that's okay.
TallTexan
I definitely want to look at ways to mitigate it.

Whether it's kids not used to structure or expectations, we as a school need to make sure we're giving them the tools & support they need to succeed on and off the court.

Kids transferring for playing time is different imo than us having to constantly cut kids or tell them to look elsewhere. It's definitely nor all playing time or all being given the boot, but in the latter we definitely need to mitigate it.

At some point, it's kinda like training employees. Sure, they gotta buy in, but you have to give them the right tools too.
TallTexan
And Glad to hear Posey is doing well. He can be a stud.
TallTexan
nacluth
Two months and nine days. Or in COVID time, 4 years and 7 months. I think I can make it as long as my first time ever season tickets work.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Two months and nine days. Or in COVID time, 4 years and 7 months. I think I can make it as long as my first time ever season tickets work.

I'm curious what the setup will be. I'm guessing/hoping masks required. Are we going to spread out seats?
Ljacks&Longnecks
Texan, why would you think that SFA is not already giving the young athletes the tools they need?
The transfer portal is full of kids. It seems more and more are looking. I agree with 76's take on things especially in that these athletes are used to being the BMOC and I suspect that for many everyone that they came in contact with in high school and even before has bent over backwards to cater to these guys. Some may not accept that here in college ball that they have more strict rules to follow. That among all the other myriad of reasons why kids leave.
Of course we all want to see 4 year players and build the program with a nice mix of 4 year and juco guys but I believe the reality of the situation is that this is not likely to change and with the NCAA making it even easier for transfer we will likely see big name schools attempt to lure quality players away from mid-majors such as ourselves.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Buckle up, boys and girls. Posey is going to be something special!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

But it wouldn't surprise me if we are....First, due to us not being able to play in the post-season and second, just from NCAA relaxing transfer rules

I'm hoping that the opening of our new practice facility nullifies at least some of the negativity of the loss of the postseason next year in the eyes of potential recruits.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

I'm curious what the setup will be. I'm guessing/hoping masks required. Are we going to spread out seats?

Plan is 50% capacity right now, with the same current guidelines we're using for football/soccer/vball.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Plan is 50% capacity right now, with the same current guidelines we're using for football/soccer/vball.
Current guidelines include masks to get in both volleyball and soccer. For soccer, since it is outside, you can remove the mask when seated. Both both, seats are marked to not be used to promote safe distancing. I would expect football and basketball to follow similar guidelines.
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Texan, why would you think that SFA is not already giving the young athletes the tools they need?

The transfer portal is full of kids. It seems more and more are looking. I agree with 76's take on things especially in that these athletes are used to being the BMOC and I suspect that for many everyone that they came in contact with in high school and even before has bent over backwards to cater to these guys. Some may not accept that here in college ball that they have more strict rules to follow. That among all the other myriad of reasons why kids leave.

Of course we all want to see 4 year players and build the program with a nice mix of 4 year and juco guys but I believe the reality of the situation is that this is not likely to change and with the NCAA making it even easier for transfer we will likely see big name schools attempt to lure quality players away from mid-majors such as ourselves.
Spot on. We don't have the biggest athletic department staff, but those that we do have put in an enormous amount of time and energy to help our student-athletes develop and be successful. They are constantly looking for ways to provide them the tools and support to be successful.
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

Mitch did well at TVCC before injury. I want to say Lasani Johnson went on to do well in Bossier and Grambling. Cam has preformed well when he is on the court, but yeah...

I agree transfers happen, but losing your top rated recruit three years in a row isn't good. Fortunately our recruiting depth is picking up...Getting Calvin and KJ in that last class is huge for us
Mitch played well for part of a season of Juco ball. His best (only?) offer following that was PV. If I am reading his tweets right, he is not in school this semester, but will be there in the spring. Still to be seen if he has success after SFA. I hope both he and Jock are successful at PV.

Counting the schools Cam committed to but did not attend, he is moving to number six. Quite a stretch to say he is a post SFA success on any level. I am very pleased he left.

Johnson had a very good Juco sophomore year. Sat one year at Grambling. Played in 17 games as a junior, starting seven, averaging 9.5 points per game. Missed the season after January 14. I haven't found why. Injury? Academics? Don't know. Not on the roster his senior year. So, post SFA, one half of one D1 season.

Still looking for who we had leave, or be asked to leave, SFA that had basketball success wherever they went.
Rev007
Character and commitment are much more important in team sports. While I agree that players such as Hart have tremendous potential, they need to conform to to team rules and focus on improving by working hard on their craft, studying hard (hopefully graduating in 4 years), and trying to become the best model citizens that the community can be proud of. I don't have any information whether or not Hart is still on the team, but he showed signs of being a showboat on the court. How many points and rebounds did he average? Not enough to affect the team's potential for the upcoming season.

It's taken awhile, but I trust Coach Keller's judgment. He got rid of a ton of players a year ago, and we had a much improved team. He also got rid of the other Cam (can't remember his last name but he was supposedly the highest rated recruit in many years). Last I heard, the other Cam had been spotted running from the scene of a hit and run car accident.

I hope our tremendous class of seniors can take Posey and the other incoming freshmen and show them the ropes.

I'm looking forward to a great season!
Jacks4460
Rev I was told by some one in the program that Hart wouldnt make it very long with Coach Kyle before they even signed him... So there were some doubts about his tenure in Nacogdoches before he actually even got there... This doesnt surprise me at all.. I support Coach Kyle and his decision making.
Jacks4460
its sad but I dont think Mitch will play again... he will have to have a come to Jesus experience in his life and only that can turn it around... Mitch has made some bad choices and burned too many bridges... its obvious with only PV offer... wish we could of turned him around at SFA but we just couldnt and Coach did the right thing in removing him from our team...
Jacks4460
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

PurpleOut said:

Buckle up, boys and girls. Posey is going to be something special!
Yeppers.. "valuable asset" "knows alot for a Freshman" ....
No-look
Anything new on schedule yet?
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

Anything new on schedule yet?
It was close to being done, but had to wait until the NCAA said when the season could start. Now that they know, working to adjust to losing essentially the first two weeks. Like scheduling for fall sports, scrambling.
TallTexan
Just going to drop this here since the article mentions SFA basketball. An interesting read.

No-look
Interesting read. Nice to see SFA mentioned in the mix. I guess we earned it over the years. This year should turn some heads also....patiently waiting

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.