2020-2021 Lumberjack Basketball

178,431 Views | 1144 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
cboothe09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Soooo...Someone switching to a walk-on role?
PurpleOut
Staff
LUMBERJACK2005
PurpleOut said:

I watched Coach John A Smith airball a layup and 3 pointer at a TABC Coaches clinic on back to back shots. He volunteered to demo a transition drill. Not sure how a player could ever take a coach seriously after witnessing their coach do that, lol.
Axe 'Em!
c/o 2005
LUMBERJACK2005
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

No-look said:

SFAJack_76 said:

With the Hawkins commitment, we are now one over the scholarship limit. Who is not getting theirs renewed, and will not be on the 2020-2021 roster?
I wish everyone could stay but looks like someone will have to go. It's a hard business sometimes.

A very reliable source tells me that no one will be leaving.
If Hawkins has to sit out as a transfer, does he count against the scholarship limits for the season he sits?
Axe 'Em!
c/o 2005
nacluth
Yep
sfa17
Interview with Coach Mason

Starts 12:28

He says that the new transfer rule will mostly hurt high school players Bc coaches are going to go after more experienced/proven college transfers.

Most administrators and fans are not going to give a coaches 3 to 4 years to develop a player. Everyone wants to win now

Interesting point of view. I Haven't heard that from anyone else on this topic
No-look
Like the comment about the two KF players. Dedicated and hard working.
sfa17
Great to hear.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

No-look said:

SFAJack_76 said:

With the Hawkins commitment, we are now one over the scholarship limit. Who is not getting theirs renewed, and will not be on the 2020-2021 roster?
I wish everyone could stay but looks like someone will have to go. It's a hard business sometimes.

A very reliable source tells me that no one will be leaving.
Not that I doubted Fanatic, but this appears to be accurate. Currently, do not anticipate anyone leaving.

If the transfer rule is adopted, and effective this year, all bets are off.
No-look
Do we know if any non conference games scheduled yet?
sfa17
Idk who.. but all I know is a P5 team is taking a loss from the lumberjacks
SFAJack_76
Perhaps this means he won't be playing anymore college basketball.
SFASawmillGuy
Tons of players graduate prior to finishing their playing career.
Pretty much they just stay enrolled and take the simplest electives ever to keep them full time students.
SFAJack_76
SFA_03 said:

Tons of players graduate prior to finishing their playing career.
Pretty much they just stay enrolled and take the simplest electives ever to keep them full time students.
When they are on scholarship, yes. Walk-ons ... very rare. I don't know of any.
Pilotgirl
I'm proud of Tyler...it was fun cheering him on!
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

I'm proud of Tyler...it was fun cheering him on!
I didn't know he was old enough to graduate. Thought he was like a sophomore.

Wonder if he might go for a roster spot at a D2 or NAIA while pursuing his masters.
No-look
So should SFA be ranked in top 30 in the AP in the first rankings next season? Or will we have to work our way back into it?
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

So should SFA be ranked in top 30 in the AP in the first rankings next season? Or will we have to work our way back into it?
Definitely will have to work our way up.
sfa17
SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

But Our kenpom will start higher this season than last. Hopefully 150ish.
RichieVan
sfa17 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

But Our kenpom will start higher this season than last. Hopefully 150ish.
Hopefully, the Jacks will be evaluated properly. If that happens, they'll see we have a ton of talent coming back as well as a good recruiting class. We finished at 100 exactly in KenPom, 96 Haslemetrics and 77 NET. I think we should start somewhere around 100 and, with the negative Southland Conference bias, no lower than 125.
nacluth
Yeah I expect 150ish too.
SFAJack_76
Not surprised.
No-look
Wow! Hope him the best.
SFAJack_76
It sounds like Oddyst will have to sit a year. The current belief is the one time, don't have to sit a year transfer rule will get approved, but it won't go into effect until 2021-2022.

TallTexan
I get why he's moving, but I'm gonna miss having him around.

Hope he finds a good landing spot.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I wish Oddyst well. He could be an asset for a SWAC team or perhaps a D-2 team.

A positive from this development, in my opinion, is that there will be more floor time for Kharee McDaniel. He has a big upside, and this change will allow him to gain experience and showcase his skills. Kharee has almost been a forgotten figure this year. We are top-heavy at the guard position, so this helps that situation a bit.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I wish Oddyst well. He could be an asset for a SWAC team or perhaps a D-2 team.

A positive from this development, in my opinion, is that there will be more floor time for Kharee McDaniel. He has a big upside, and this change will allow him to gain experience and showcase his skills. Kharee has almost been a forgotten figure this year. We are top-heavy at the guard position, so this helps that situation a bit.
. With that said, what need do we need to fill with the last scholarship?
nacluth
Pretty sure we already did with Hawkins.

Hawkins, Heckard, Posey, Nana in.
Harris, Bain, Comeaux, Walker out.
BigJack85
From what I could tell he was a trooper. Didn't ever see what looked like complaining and contributed as much as possible.
TallTexan
The few minuts that Kharee played this year he played like a bulldog. He's going to be good.
Rev007
I wish Oddyst well, but he never really had the overall talent to play at the Southland Conference level. Oddyst could shoot the 3, but the rest of his game needed work. Players need more than just one skill. Apparently, he was a great teammate, and I'll always appreciate him for having a good attitude.
TallTexan
Rev007 said:

I wish Oddyst well, but he never really had the overall talent to play at the Southland Conference level. Oddyst could shoot the 3, but the rest of his game needed work. Players need more than just one skill. Apparently, he was a great teammate, and I'll always appreciate him for having a good attitude.
I think he got a bad start to the year with the concussion. He was draining three's in the open practice, & then ended up with a concussion like game two. After that, the shot was just a tad off for the next several games and I think that was part of it.

Wish him well.
No-look
It would be nice to have some articles thrown our way to give us insight as to what's happening in the SFA basketball world. kinda like Presidents do to address the State of the Union. Lol
sfa17
SFA at #33

"Despite one of the best players in program history (Kavon Harris) now gone, the Lumberjacks still remain a heavy favorite to win the Southland, thanks to a trio of rising seniors. Roti Ware, Cameron Johnson and Gavin Kensmil are all double-digit scorers but they'll need a capable point guard to take over next year. Senior David Kachelries will be tasked with that duty unless UTEP transfer Nigel Hawkins gets a waiver."

No-look
We get a lot more respect out of the AP poll?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.