2020-2021 Lumberjack Basketball

178,961 Views | 1144 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The right decision.

But I hope we gave our seniors the chance to come back first if they want. They deserve it.

MasterAxe
"new factors and variables from the current season have required the institution to ask for another route."

TRANSLATION: We are not as good as we thought we would be.
jboy93
MSU was 17 for 43 from behind the strip against St. Edward's in an OT loss. We aren't the best in defending the 3!
SFAJack_76
MasterAxe said:

"new factors and variables from the current season have required the institution to ask for another route."

Nope. That's not it at all.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

The right decision.

But I hope we gave our seniors the chance to come back first if they want. They deserve it.

So far, we have given every senior for every sport from last spring through this year that option.
TallTexan
Good to hear.
SFASawmillGuy
The question is will they take it? It seems like a lot of student athletes around the country are not.
Rev007
I hope the request to take the punishment of a post season ban this year is granted. The next step should be red shirting Posey.
CertifiedAxeman98
MasterAxe said:

I think this may be part of it. I do think that not having an offseason program and limited games and several pauses have hurt the team's ability to perform so they are not living up to what we thought they would be. We have competition from ACU and Sam this year that will make it harder to win the SLC.

This season is a bit of a mess all around and who knows if things are going to get any better. Also, if you can bring back some seniors next year you should be even better next year so why play in this years post season which will probably be won by who stays the healthiest. The record books will have a ton of * for COVID in it.

I didn't like that we negotiated the penalty to be 21/22 to begin with. I understand why they did it but I didn't like it. I think you should just go ahead and get your punishment out of the way as soon as possible and put it behind you. You never know what this year or next year will be. We thought 18/19 was going to be the year we made a final 4 run and look what happened.
CertifiedAxeman98
Rev007 said:

I hope the request to take the punishment of a post season ban this year is granted. The next step should be red shirting Posey.
Completely agree. I was thinking that at the game on Saturday when I saw he was still not dressed out. I figure they will apply for a medial red shirt right?
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterAxe said:

Bad translation. I completely disagree. The starts and stops of this season have never allowed the Jacks to gel as a team. Jack teams are usually starting to roll by early January. Not this year.
nacluth
As has been discussed before, redshirts are not available this year as there is no eligibility consequence for any player. Posey will have four years of eligibility left regardless.
nacluth
I don't think moving up the ban has as much to do with capability as a changing opinion on the future.

I've always thought that is a great year for smaller programs because of the huge limitations on big programs. I think the NCAA tournament will face disruptions that smaller teams can use to get in better position, but SFA's Covid-19 pause probably set us back some.

I still think we can vie for the SLC title even if we don't go to the postseason. But, ACU has to like their chances to make some noise this year.
Rev007
I'm not quite understanding unless you are saying this year doesn't count for anyone. If so, does everyone who played on this year's roster have a total of five years of eligibility? Thus, Nana has 5 years and Kharee who redshirted a year would have 6; years? Surely this can't be, can it?
nacluth
Yes. The NCAA ruled that all sports so far have no eligibility deductions this year. This won't affect that many students as most will graduate and move on, but there is opportunity for athletes to choose to hang around another year. COVID has given all athletes a bonus year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007 said:

I'm not quite understanding unless you are saying this year doesn't count for anyone. If so, does everyone who played on this year's roster have a total of five years of eligibility? Thus, Nana has 5 years and Kharee who redshirted a year would have 6; years? Surely this can't be, can it?
Speaking of Kharee, what's his status? With his lack of playing time, I wouldn't be surprised to see him join the SFA Exes Club at Prairie View.
SFAJack_76
cboothe09
ACU is good. We knew they would be, but I think we will be able to play with them. I'm not buying into Sam. They played a terrible non-conference that didn't tell you much except they can beat DIII programs...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Will the Midwestern game be on ESPN+? I need my Nacluth preview.
PurpleOut
Staff
New banners if you didn't see this tweet yesterday.

LUMBERJACK2005
MasterAxe said:

Lol, exactly my thought. Don't get me wrong, I love SFA, but we would ripping Sam if they pulled something like this.

Weird that football was able to get through an entire season "without" COVID issues, but basketball is having such a hard time, only in Texas, smh. This will be further exacerbated in about two weeks when UIL just happens to cancel scholastic activities after the state championship games are played in football.
PurpleOut
Staff
Still disagree. They can still win, and believe they can win, a regular season title.

Sure that doesn't mean going to the NCAA Tournament, but it's still significant and a goal to achieve.

Now it's just up to the players to keep their head on straight and not give up on the season, and on the coaches for keeping it on straight for them
TallTexan
Two fold challenge with football vs basketball.

One, is the number of cases in the area. It's multiplied considerably since September.

Second, it takes far fewer folks being exposed to take a basketball team offline.

Double hurdles and a lot more travel makes it tough to keep safe in a year like this.
RedRiverLa
PurpleOut said:

New banners if you didn't see this tweet yesterday.

Beautiful!
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
cboothe09
I think there is a better way to memorialize that win...Not a fan of a banner, but its cool...I guess...
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

I think there is a better way to memorialize that win...Not a fan of a banner, but its cool...I guess...
What would you do?
BigJack85
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

MasterAxe said:

Lol, exactly my thought. Don't get me wrong, I love SFA, but we would ripping Sam if they pulled something like this.

Weird that football was able to get through an entire season "without" COVID issues, but basketball is having such a hard time, only in Texas, smh. This will be further exacerbated in about two weeks when UIL just happens to cancel scholastic activities after the state championship games are played in football.

I think this decision is good. Especially given the nature of this season AND my belief that the sanctions we received were significantly harsher than the sanctions a power program would receive in exactly the same circumstances.
cboothe09
Put it on a mural. Get it on the walls of WRJ. I'm just not a fan of banners for regular season wins. Then again, with the NCAA making us take down our others, maybe it helps when recruits walk in...
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Put it on a mural. Get it on the walls of WRJ. I'm just not a fan of banners for regular season wins. Then again, with the NCAA making us take down our others, maybe it helps when recruits walk in...
I like the mural idea, but definitely like the banner too.

That win was named win of the year by more than one outlet and raised 150k for hurricane relief. It meant as much as an NCAA tourney win in a year with no tourney.
SFAJack_76
According to some, we don't have any shooters on the team.
PurpleOut
Staff
I think that's a little skewed to be honest. Our game is in the paint, and running the floor.

While we're 4th in FG%...we're 122nd in 3PT FG %.

Just saying.
nacluth
Since Keller has taken over we have trended more and more to in the paint scoring. Last year we were in the top 10 of 2P% for almost the whole year. I like it generally speaking. Would like a little more consistency from our outside guards, but I haven't been upset the last couple of games. They seem to be hitting some shots lately.
No-look
I realize it's been asked several times but does anyone know of Posey's status?
SFASawmillGuy
nacluth said:

Since Keller has taken over we have trended more and more to in the paint scoring. Last year we were in the top 10 of 2P% for almost the whole year. I like it generally speaking. Would like a little more consistency from our outside guards, but I haven't been upset the last couple of games. They seem to be hitting some shots lately.

Honestly I think this is both a good thing and bad thing. It's a good thing because if you look at who goes deep in the tournament, it's teams that can score in the paint. It's just higher percentage shots and a bad shooting game still won't hurt you as bad as a bad shooting game from the perimeter.

That being said, it's much, much harder at the mid major level to recruit that way. Most successful mid major teams tend to go for smaller players who are really good from beyond the arc because it's just easier to get those kids to go to a mid major. If Keller wasn't taking over an established program that already recruited well, I really doubt he'd have been able to maintain the success he has.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.