2020-2021 Lumberjack Basketball

178,718 Views | 1144 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No-look said:

It would be nice to have some articles thrown our way to give us insight as to what's happening in the SFA basketball world. kinda like Presidents do to address the State of the Union. Lol
We need Ivey to do a weekly fireside chat.
SFAJack_76
Is this the first game we have seen in the schedule?
PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah, I figure any of the return games of home-home deals will come out first. We'll get Arkansas State at home.
sfa17
ULM wasn't good last year. 9-20, 252 in kenpom. but it is still Way better than a non-D1 team.
RedRiverLa
Saw Ivan Canete is leaving NAC. Did he get a coaching job somewhere?
SFAJack_76
RedRiverLa said:

Saw Ivan Canete is leaving NAC. Did he get a coaching job somewhere?
Graduated and headed home to Florida. Don't know if he has a job yet.
BigJack85
Great to hear he finished his degree. Axe 'Em Jacks!
RedRiverLa
Assuming the two extra years after eligibility were for a masters?
Pilotgirl
He didn't graduate before. Jovan, John, and Nate are also graduating.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

He didn't graduate before. Jovan, John, and Nate are also graduating.
Yes. Canete was out of school for a year. I don't know if he was trying to make it as a player or for other reasons. Came back in the fall. He was a student assistant, not a grad student assistant.
sfa17
Not sure if it was posted but SFA's Final NET ranking was 77. NET will be changing next season to increase accuracy
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

Not sure if it was posted but SFA's Final NET ranking was 77. NET will be changing next season to increase accuracy

Accuracy for us or for the blue bloods?
sfa17
From what people are saying it is going to be closer to Kenpom. BIG 10 as a conference did really good in kenpom but not so much in NET. This will help BIG 10 team
SFA Jack Fanatic
Good interview with Coach Vanya on EPLAY's YouTube channel today. A couple of highlights:

1) Talked quite a bit about SFA's big win over Duke.
2) Shared what SFA looks for in potential recruits - high character, someone who will "take care of business' on his own (practice, self-discipline), someone who will trust his teammates, someone who is "gritty and grimy", and (obviously) someone who will fill a position need
3) Said that Nate was the heart and soul of the team. Said that as soon as Nate joined the team after being injured in the early days of practice before the season began that there was immediately a very obvious change in the attitude of the whole team. His positive attitude changed everyone's.
4) Said that Keller is an 'old school' coach who coaches players hard but provides for a family atmosphere off the court; Said that Cox and Keller are almost like brothers, with both on the same wavelength and having similar philosophies
5) Discussed analytics, but didn't share much detail in that regard. Said that he learned a lot about analytics while with the Rockets the last few years. Said that SFA uses different analytics than the Rockets do (college vs. pros).
6) When asked if there are opportunities for coaches to do "distance coaching" during the pandemic, Vanya said that there are only certain times when that is allowed by the NCAA, and it is not something that can be an ongoing thing. I got the impression that SFA has not done any of that so far, with the current semester just ending.
No-look
Good interview with coach Mitch.
sfa17

Mid major would have been a better choice of words than low major..
SFAJack_76
sfa17 said:

It hurts, but hard to disagree with their methodology. The SLC is 30th of 32 D1 conferences. That makes us low on the list of "majors".
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

Coach Cox deserves all of the accolades he can get. He's a tremendous asset to SFA's MBB program
TallTexan
There's not a better basketball coaching staff in the state than SFA has.
SFAJack_76
Keller on at 5:00.
No-look
Assuming students can come back June1, will the basketball team be on campus early like last year?
nacluth
Can anyone give a report on this show?
No-look
nacluth said:

Can anyone give a report on this show?
was a neat show. Talked mostly about Eddie Sutton and a little about the current issue. Nothing we haven't heard already on the ban. Mostly about coach Sutton.
No-look
So if June 1st local students athletes (50 mile radius) can return to campus and use workout facilities I'm assuming it doesn't apply to incoming recruits with the exception of Nana? What about scholarship players that are already here that played last season? I'm not understanding all I know about this. ...
TallTexan
Umm....

nacluth
Please.
SFASawmillGuy
Everything about this helps us.
More opportunities for better quality opponents and fewer opportunities for us to have a head scratching loss.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I'm all for less SLC games, 16 is good but just imagine how they will mangle the tiebreakers even more.

Then our problem would be finding enough D1 opponents to fill the schedule. Don't want to have to play Arlington Baptist 2 or 3 times to fill it!!!
TallTexan
We should call a few local schools for a home & home this season. Like TX State/Little Rock, Grambling/LA Tech, UTA , etc
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

We should call a few local schools for a home & home this season. Like TX State/Little Rock, Grambling/LA Tech, UTA , etc
Kaspar isn't going to be scheduling any more games with us I don't think.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

just imagine how they will mangle the tiebreakers even more.

Is that even possible??
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

Kaspar isn't going to be scheduling any more games with us I don't think.

Touche.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Ljacks&Longnecks said:

just imagine how they will mangle the tiebreakers even more.

Is that even possible??

If there's one thing that the league office is good at, it's taking common sense and throwing it in a blender and seeing what mush comes out.
No-look
Any new scheduling news?
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

Any new scheduling news?
I haven't heard anything yet, but haven't really talked to anyone in a while about it.

I bet we're working on it though, last year we had the Duke game announced in June...and the rest of the schedule out in July. Doesn't mean we will this year, just saying.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.