2020-2021 Lumberjack Basketball

178,962 Views | 1144 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

Not a big fan of the LSU-A add, but ULM is probably our biggest game of the year, so a tune up may work out.
It's a game we should win comfortably , but they are good for who they are. 25-6, 17-1 in conference last season. We need game time. I particularly want to see Hawkins and Heckard get minutes. Two talented guards that aren't playing in system on either end yet. Comeaux is the guy we miss the most from last season. Our on ball defense against the point is particularly lacking.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Per schedule update email Hardin Simmons game on the 9th is canceled.

Those HS tickets are being used for Sunday game per email.
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

nacluth said:

Not a big fan of the LSU-A add, but ULM is probably our biggest game of the year, so a tune up may work out.
They have a kid on their roster at 6'9'' and 400 lbs!!!

I'm thinking that a fast-paced game might be in order.
PurpleOut
Staff
Sama'Zha was at the game tonight. Seems odd.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Sama'Zha was at the game tonight. Seems odd.

Very odd. Is he enrolled?
SFAXE93
He is currently not on the McLennan CC basketball team roster.
SFAJack_76
He was sitting three or four rows behind the bench. I don't know if there is a path back for him or not.
Pilotgirl
I dont know what happened but wish he could work his way back in somehow. I've always had a good impression of him compared to others who have made mistakes/ those who haven't been a good fit (I'm trying to choose my words nicely here...those that left in the years past)
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

I dont know what happened but wish he could work his way back in somehow. I've always had a good impression of him compared to others who have made mistakes/ those who haven't been a good fit (I'm trying to choose my words nicely here...those that left in the years past)
His dismissal from the team wasn't due to a singular event, but rather an ongoing series of events going back through most of last season. I would be surprised to see him back.
SFAJack_76
Hardin-Simmons played a game Saturday. Interesting that our game Wednesday was cancelled.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

Pilotgirl said:

His dismissal from the team wasn't due to a singular event, but rather an ongoing series of events going back through most of last season. I would be surprised to see him back.
I figured that was the case...still hoping the best for him
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

Hardin-Simmons played a game Saturday. Interesting that our game Wednesday was cancelled.
I noticed the same thing...Things that make you go Hmmm
CertifiedAxeman98
Pilotgirl said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I noticed the same thing...Things that make you go Hmmm
At the beginning of the season Gonzaga had a player test positive and played in Florida and we had what was called a non-essential person that test positive and we got sent home. No consistency at all with the NCAA letting states and conferences come up with their own rules.
PurpleOut
Staff
Definitely not out of the question:

SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

It is finals week.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Just curious. What are your impressions of Hawkins at this point? Played rather poorly in the first two games and the first half Sunday (bad shooting), but played reasonably well in the second half. Do you think he is starting to fit into the system and understand what is expected of him and what is not? What say ye, Sawmillers?

(And BTW, as I've said before, I sure hope Posey mends soon. We really need him.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Noticed that there are MBB and WBB "Hoops Weekly" PDF digital programs on the Athletics website. Very nice! Someone's earning their keep in the Athletics Department now.
nacluth
PurpleOut said:

Well they were going to get beaten anyway this week before Gonzaga backed out. Might as well be us.
nacluth
Wednesday will be the 6th originally scheduled game that we will not be playing. Glad we are 3-0 at this point with one D1 game. 57 teams haven't played a game.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Just curious. What are your impressions of Hawkins at this point? Played rather poorly in the first two games and the first half Sunday (bad shooting), but played reasonably well in the second half. Do you think he is starting to fit into the system and understand what is expected of him and what is not? What say ye, Sawmillers?

(And BTW, as I've said before, I sure hope Posey mends soon. We really need him.

I think he is progressing. Especially the second half you could see glimpses of what he could become for the team. He should be an asset soon.... I'm also ready to see Posey on the court. Biggest surprise to me is Nana. He will be a stud.
SFAJack_76
Maybe ...
Ballwatch
SFAJack_76 said:

Maybe ...

Say it ain't so
TallTexan
Gotta beat the best to be the best. Win or lose playing Baylor makes us better in March and that's the whole goal.
Ballwatch
TallTexan said:

Gotta beat the best to be the best. Win or lose playing Baylor makes us better in March and that's the whole goal.

Oh I agree! Maybe the Jacks can do what Illinois couldn't
nacluth
Still nothing official on the potential Baylor game. If you could trade an undefeated season for a chance at the #2, with this schedule I would say yes.
Rev007
I'm one who had reservations about him since the first time I saw him at Jack's Madness. It was all about the focus being on him. That being said, I believe in giving second, third, and more chances to those who are contrite and come back humbled and earnestly wish to prove they won't make the same mistakes of their past.
Rev007
Throw the undefeated season out the window and play the best opponents you can. Whether a win or a loss, the team can learn so much about their abilities and deficiencies against superior competition.
Rev007
There is a reason Hawkins is on the floor so often. He is probably showing a lot more ability in practice and it's just not showing in the first couple of games. Maybe he is pressing too much because he wants to prove he belongs on our solid team. Even though his shot didn't start falling until the second half of the LSUA game, Hawkins has been playing solid defense. He also makes quick and accurate decisions passing the ball to the open man. He has plus size at the guard position, and I believe he will be a premium rotational player.
wahlwesle
CertifiedAxeman98
Way too early comments about this team.

Last night Brown came in near the end of the first half and we were down by less than 10. In his 2 minutes he racked up 2 fouls, turned the ball over twice and jacked up a 3 that had absolutely not chance of making it. I was yelling at the TV by the half. I think Baylor had a 9-0 run to end the half, thanks in part to this. Not sure he is ready to be on the floor with a team like Baylor.

We need to be consistent with shooting the 3 and we need to find ways to get guys open for easier 3s. Contested 3s are hard. It took a while last year for Ware to start shooting. I hope it kicks in sooner this year. He is shooting 39% from the field and 27% from 3. And in the offseason we need to find a guy that can shoot the 3 over 40% at the D1 level.

Watching the turnovers was just painful both last night and against McNeese. We are turning the ball over more than twice as much as we are getting steals. That can't happen against good competition. If it does we will see more of what we saw last night.

Positive is that Solomon can really rebound the ball. Now if he can keep working on the FT.

This is just the beginning of the season but we don't have Kevon to keep us in games this year so we must cut down on the mistakes if we want to have a chance at the post season. We don't look like a post season team at this point but we just need to be one by the time we go to Katy.
SFAJack_76
Hopefully nothing, but ....
nacluth
Hopefully he just hates the up the nose every day.
SFAJack_76
Well, this is good.
nacluth
I apparently don't have enough time on my hands. There's a stat website out there that I could create.

Awesome for Kyle.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Man, we've got a critical stretch of games coming up in the next week -- Ark State, LSU-S, SELA, and Paul Quinn. All at home.

We're about to find out just what this team is really made of... Will Jekyll or Hyde show up?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.