2020-2021 Lumberjack Basketball

178,938 Views | 1144 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are your opinions as to whether today's announcement of the move to the WAC in 2021-2022 will affect our Seniors' decisions to stay and play another year?

I'm going to ask the same question over on the WBB thread.
SFASawmillGuy
I think it increases their chances of staying, but also I think many of them have already made up their mind on if they'll return for another year or not. As enticing as an extra year of college athletics is, many student athletes are just ready to move on.
No-look
Will the WAC be a one bid conference to the Dance?
wahlwesle
No-look said:

According to Ivey's email, two WAC teams have made the tournament 28 out of 45 seasons.
PurpleOut
Staff
wahlwesle said:

No-look said:

According to Ivey's email, two WAC teams have made the tournament 28 out of 45 seasons.
I saw that too, and while that's great, that's another skewed stat in my opinion. The WAC used to be know for the old football programs, but they had good basketball programs too before they all left. Utah State, UNLV, Fresno State, New Mexico, BYU, San Diego State were all programs that were consistently battling for (deserved) at-large bids.

More recently, New Mexico State has won the auto-bid 8 out of the last 10 times. And the last time they lost it they were the 1 seed and didn't get an at-large bid.

Long story short, it's a one-bid league currently. With the opportunity to grow and get better with us in it.
No-look
Another question. Will we be playing every team twice?
nacluth
No-look said:

With the current membership, there has never been an at-large berth. Only three current WAC teams have been to the NCAA's: NMST 26 times, Cal Baptist once in 2016, and Seattle 11 times but the last was in 1969.

There's work to be done, but as far as basketball goes, we're really getting to play New Mexico St. and our other rivals. GCU is a great place to play, but they have been lackluster historically. Cal Baptist has been solid in the short term. Expect the SLC teams to be at the top with NMSU.

It's not a powerhouse basketball league yet despite the hype. It has a better potential than the Southland, but our main competitors are still going to be local.
nacluth
No-look said:

Another question. Will we be playing every team twice?
Doubt it. With the loss of Chicago St. and the 4 TX adds, there will be 12 teams next season. 22 games is too long. My guess is we'll get all TX teams twice and others once (16 games?).
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

No-look said:

With the current membership, there has never been an at-large berth. Only three current WAC teams have been to the NCAA's: NMST 26 times, Cal Baptist once in 2016, and Seattle 11 times but the last was in 1969.

There's work to be done, but as far as basketball goes, we're really getting to play New Mexico St. and our other rivals. GCU is a great place to play, but they have been lackluster historically. Cal Baptist has been solid in the short term. Expect the SLC teams to be at the top with NMSU.

It's not a powerhouse basketball league yet despite the hype. It has a better potential than the Southland, but our main competitors are still going to be local.
Agreed. The bright side is that all of these current WAC programs have a much higher ceiling, better facilities and trajectory compared to middle and low end SLC teams. Just in case you haven't seen some of these places:

New Mexico State

Grand Canyon

Cal Baptist

Utah Valley

Dixie State

Tarleton State

UTRGV

Seattle (they also play a lot of games in Key Arena where the Sonics used to play)

Obviously not all of these places will be full like these pics, but it's going to be 10x better. As Keller said, "we are going to a real basketball league where people come to the games." Hopefully we step up and continue to increase attendance.

I'll tweet all these out tomorrow.
jboy93
Lot of purple in this league! LOL Now they will see what Lumberjack purple is all about!
nacluth
Jacks jumped up 50 spots to 241 in the NET now that we're 3-2 on the year. Probably mid-100's is a good goal for the season.

I'll have a preview for the game tomorrow up after a busy day at work.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76
Haven't seen a "game tomorrow " tweet for the men yet. There has been one for women BB and bowling. Probably nothing ... right?
ljax1979
Noticed that the WAC's schedule is set up so team's play Friday and Saturday games. Wish the Southland would have done that.
SFAJack_76
Here it is!
Rev007
Upon further reflection, the 18 point win on the road against Incarnate Word was impressive. Our team showed their depth with multiple players hitting double digits in scoring. This is quite positive considering Gavin and Cameron had subpar games relative to their past performances. Additionally, Incarnate Word hits a high percentage of their 3 point shots. Conversely, we haven't guarded the 3 point shot well in several seasons. In the end, their 3 point shooting was a non factor.

Let's be thankful that we have a team that plays like a team. We are going to win a lot of games this year even though we lack the marquee players of past teams. Our guys are winning differently than before. We are not forcing the huge numbers of turnovers as in prior years. All we need is slightly better guard play, and that could come this year if we can get Posey on the court. It's no guarantee because he's a freshman. Everyone knows freshmen make lots of mistakes early in their progression, but it sure would be fun to see if Posey can give us what we are lacking and turn a good team into a great team.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007 said:

All we need is slightly better guard play, and that could come this year if we can get Posey on the court.

I'm getting less and less confident that Posey will see any action this year. Broken bones don't heal quickly in some people. And after such a long layoff, he would probably be half the player he was before.
Rev007
I agree that the longer he stays off the floor, the more likely it is that he doesn't play at all this year. I'm hoping for a full recovery no matter how long it takes.
nacluth
Lumberjacks up to 158 in KenPom - the first time they have been in the top half of his ranking.

209 in NET moving up 81 spots in the last week.
SFASawmillGuy
I think we've hit a stride.
People consider the 2015-2016 team that beat WVU one of the best SFA teams ever but let's not forget before Conference play started we couldn't beat anyone. So maybe this team just needed some games to get going.
Rev007
Awesome comparison! I went back and reviewed the scores, and we got stomped by Baylor, lost by 10 to Northern Iowa, and lost to Arizona State. Then, we started kicking butt and winning conference games by 20 and one by a 40 point margin. One big difference was the Legend...Thomas Walkup. However, this year's team has arguably more depth. Who on this this year's team has the mojo to hit a dagger 3 pointer and stick his tongue out in victory? Oh my, I can only hope for such a miraculous season!
TallTexan
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

Yeah, this is awful. How can one concentrate with their fam fighting this horrible illness
No-look
LUMBERJACK2005
PurpleOut said:

nacluth said:

No-look said:

Agreed. The bright side is that all of these current WAC programs have a much higher ceiling, better facilities and trajectory compared to middle and low end SLC teams. Just in case you haven't seen some of these places:

New Mexico State

Grand Canyon

Cal Baptist

Utah Valley

Dixie State

Tarleton State

UTRGV

Seattle (they also play a lot of games in Key Arena where the Sonics used to play)

Obviously not all of these places will be full like these pics, but it's going to be 10x better. As Keller said, "we are going to a real basketball league where people come to the games." Hopefully we step up and continue to increase attendance.

These pics make me wish, even more, that we would do away with the purple barrier surrounding the court. It's a seriously antiquated design that you don't see anymore, for good reason.
jboy93
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

PurpleOut said:

nacluth said:

No-look said:

New Mexico State

Grand Canyon

Cal Baptist

Utah Valley

Dixie State

Tarleton State

UTRGV

These pics make me wish, even more, that we would do away with the purple barrier surrounding the court. It's a seriously antiquated design that you don't see anymore, for good reason.
So are you saying everyone should do away with it because almost all have their school colors surrounding the court?
PurpleOut
Staff
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

PurpleOut said:

nacluth said:

No-look said:

New Mexico State

Grand Canyon

Cal Baptist

Utah Valley

Dixie State

Tarleton State

UTRGV

I agree for the most part, at least along the sidelines. You could add an extra row of seats closer to the court.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

LUMBERJACK2005 said:

PurpleOut said:

nacluth said:

No-look said:

New Mexico State

Grand Canyon

Cal Baptist

Utah Valley

Dixie State

Tarleton State

UTRGV

I agree for the most part, at least along the sidelines. You could add an extra row of seats closer to the court.

Dibs on that row.
jboy93
Sorry, yes I agree totally. The "wall" needs to go!
TallTexan
One thing you really notice with the new building is that the WRJ facade is really aged.

Gonna need to work on that part or atleast a fresh coat of paint.
PurpleOut
Staff
Don't think it's been officially announced, but Keller mentioned tonight that there would be no tournament this season for these guys.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

One thing you really notice with the new building is that the WRJ facade is really aged.

New facade is part of the construction to be completed with the practice facility.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

New facade is part of the construction to be completed with the practice facility.
Sweet.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Don't think it's been officially announced, but Keller mentioned tonight that there would be no tournament this season for these guys.
All the more reason to beat the snot out of Sam.
nacluth
PurpleOut said:

I know there's no guarantee of a tournament period this year, but this has to be a gut punch to our seniors. All JUCO transfers who helped drive the team to a three loss season including knocking off the #1 team. No postseason, and then now starting conference very strong with no chance of postseason.

I know these guys know the reality of our times, but this squad is drawing the very short stick. I hope they get everything they deserve in the end.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.