2020-2021 Lumberjack Basketball

177,267 Views | 1144 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Kansas officially off too.
nacluth
We'll see what rabbits there are to pull out of the hat. Bonnies and Rams are great matchups, but it would be nice for a "name" school to promote for the local fan base.
PurpleOut
Staff
I don't think we'll see much else to be honest. We basically only have one month to get in non-conference games, and I'd assume we'll have a few small home games in there like normal. Leaving very little time for much else. Hopefully we can at least get one big game in (outside of the MTE).

I wonder if we're still adding McNeese and SLU since they aren't in conference play. That would take up some spots.
nacluth
Just talked to Drew in the ticket office. He said schedule should hopefully be out by next week (like we all hope). He said all Purple Lights parking will be in the commuter lot this season (no Level 1 behind building). He also said that they are re-seating ticket holders to adjust for COVID requirements. They are trying to space everyone out while keeping everyone as close as possible to their originally purchased seats. So you may not have the exact seat you did, but close. Trying to mail out tickets as fast as they can, but may be mid-November.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Just talked to Drew in the ticket office. He said schedule should hopefully be out by next week (like we all hope). He said all Purple Lights parking will be in the commuter lot this season (no Level 1 behind building). He also said that they are re-seating ticket holders to adjust for COVID requirements. They are trying to space everyone out while keeping everyone as close as possible to their originally purchased seats. So you may not have the exact seat you did, but close. Trying to mail out tickets as fast as they can, but may be mid-November.

Good update. I'm fine with spacing everyone out. I'm still tenuous on attending in a pandemic but will feel a lot better about it with safe spacing and other precautions.

We definitely don't want any super spreader events.
nacluth
Yes, and masks will be required throughout - though with food and drink sales, it will probably be more or less an individual's responsibility.
SFAJack_76
From a mass email that I am sure others got.

2020/21 Basketball Updates
  • 2020/21 Capacity - Our capacity limit has been severely reduced due to COVID. The only way to guarantee a seat is with a season ticket as single game availability will be impacted by student and visitor allocations.
  • Social Distance Reseat - We will be reseating current season ticket holders and plan to communicate those new seats on Wednesday, November 4, as previously communicated. You will still have rights to your original seats as we roll into the 2021/2022 season.;
  • Ticket Delivery - We will push mobile tickets to your accounts during the first week of November. We appreciate your patience;
  • Season Start - At this time, the NCAA has ruled to allow competition to begin after November 25th and our current home schedule is set to begin the first week of December;
We will share more information as we learn it and appreciate your support as we get closer to basketball season.
No-look
Sooo, maybe the 6'9 guy with the head that's twice it's normal size won't be directly in front of me?
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

Sooo, maybe the 6'9 guy with the head that's twice it's normal size won't be directly in front of me?

I assume he's talking about you, Tall Texan. Am I right?
jboy93
Kansas kept Tarleton on their schedule! Really...
jboy93
On local Tyler radio yesterday LeTourneau coach said they will be coming to the coliseum.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

No-look said:

I assume he's talking about you, Tall Texan. Am I right?

Lol yes to the cranium size, no on the height. I bet he's talking about the professor who sits behind 76. Dude is a giant.
LUMBERJACK2005
Question to anyone on here who subscribes, is the site being updated again with regular articles? The home page has a fan poll question from two years ago, so I assume it's not, but would be interested in subscribing to something that would provide regular articles about the basketball team.
SFAJack_76
jboy93 said:

On local Tyler radio yesterday LeTourneau coach said they will be coming to the coliseum.
December 9.

https://letuathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
SFA Jack Fanatic
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

Question to anyone on here who subscribes, is the site being updated again with regular articles? The home page has a fan poll question from two years ago, so I assume it's not, but would be interested in subscribing to something that would provide regular articles about the basketball team.

Don't waste your money! The owner (Isaac Niedrauer) has not done anything to the site in over a year. The owner (Isaac Niedrauer) CHEATED ME OUT OF A YEAR'S SUBSCRIPTION! No articles about anything. Only the forums are in play, and that's because the owner (Isaac Niedrauer) is not involved.
SFAJack_76
December 12.
PurpleOut
Staff
Decent game, although I'm a little bored of it now to be honest.
BigJack85
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

. At a minimum I hope we can get the main page updated.
SFAJack_76
KirkHeath12
Looks like the schedule will be released tomorrow
Class of 2012
Axe Em
PurpleOut
Staff
Probably what this is:

PurpleOut
Staff
If we open with Towson, St. Bonaventure and Rhode Island...that's arguably the toughest opening to as season that I can remember. Should be 3 games in 3 days.
cboothe09
I know circumstances have dictated that some of the game contracts are out the window, but I wonder if we are getting that return trip from Arkansas State this year. I feel confident we aren't heading to Niagara or Drexel, but who knows...

What we do know
Mohegan Sun MTE:
vs. Towson
vs. St. Bonnaventure
vs. Rhode Island (Neutral Site game not affiliated with the MTE)
@ UL-Monroe
vs. LeTourneau

Since we are playing two games in the Mohegan Sun MTE (Game vs. Rhode Island is not part of the MTE, but instead a neutral site game), we are allowed 25 games this year. We have a 16-game conference schedule, add in those five games and we are down to four left TBD...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Teams will have to adhere to "tribal" protocols. It's not everyday you see that stipulation.
SFA Jack Fanatic
With that many D-1 teams on the schedule, our RPI should really get a boost (assuming that we win most, if not all, of them.

BTW, does anyone know when the SLC media day will be? Or is the SLC just going to send around a reporterette like they did last year?

I'm ready for some hoops!!!
nacluth
That's a super tough three games to start with. I would like to believe that we'll get one of them, but if we could nab two I will be over the moon.
cboothe09
From A10talk.com

Rhode Island
What I like: They bring back Fatts Russell, who also might be an all-american and up for POY in the A10. After that, it is a roster with a lot of new faces that were all transfer waiver approved by the NCAA. The two big names on that transfer list at Mahki and Malik Mitchell, twin brothers from Maryland. They look to be a key piece to David Cox's squad this year.
Where it could go wrong: A lot of new faces without a red shirt year equals little turnaround time to get used to playing together. We don't know how these guys will look playing together for the first time, even if there is a lot of hype on how deep and loaded the roster looks. Luckily Fatts is an experienced senior floor general and can lead this team back to the top of the A10. But where this could go wrong lies with how well the list of new faces plays together. By the time they figure it out, it could be too late.
Goal: Finish top 4 of the A10

St. Bonaventure
What I like: Here's another experienced team. The two main likeables are Kyle Lofton and Osun Osunniyi. Both have potential to have big junior seasons in Olean. Dominik Welch and Jaren English are juniors as well and will look to be glue guys along side Lofton again. Another crazy thing is that the team is basically all juniors, so they will have next year to be really good as well. As always, the Bonnies are well coached by Mark Schmidt and will be even more of a tough out this year with an experienced team that finished 6th last season.
Where it could go wrong: Osun sat out a bit last year with injuries, so that could hurt the Bonnies if that happens again. The team has depth, but it is an unknown how much of them will contribute much off the bench. They also have a few new faces from the transfer portal. That's a bit of an unknown as well. Not much to hate about this team really.
Goal: Finish top 4 in the A10

From what I gather...St. Bonaventure will be the best team we see in Connecticut...Fatts Russell will be the best player we see up there, if not this season...
cboothe09
Here is a preview I found on Towson...

Towson Tigers

2020-2021 Overall Rank: #123
Conference Rank: #2 CAA

During Coach Pat Skerry's first season with Towson back in 2011-2012, the Tigers went 1-31. Since then, this has been a pretty solid and consistent program. They have finished second or third in the CAA five times since that point and only went below .500 on two occasions. That is pretty impressive. But despite all of the positive play, Towson has not reached the NCAA Tournament since 1991 and they haven't won a conference title since 1994 when they were in the Big South and preparing for a move to the America East Conference. This season appears to be more of the same, a good Towson team, but a team that may fall short of their ultimate goal.

2019-20 Record: 19-13, 12-6
Coach: Pat Skerry
Coach Record: 143-150 at Towson, 167-175 overall

Key Departed Players:
Brian Fobbs, Guard, 16.3 ppg
Allen Betrand, Guard, 13.6 ppg
Nakye Sanders, Forward, 9.2 ppg
Dennis Tunstall, Forward, 4.4 ppg

Key Returning Players:
Jason Gibson, Sophomore, Guard, 8.4 ppg
Juwan Gray, Senior, Forward, 7.0 ppg
Nicolas Timberlake, Sophomore, Guard, 6.1 ppg
Jakigh Dottin, Junior, Guard, 4.0 ppg
Solomon Uyaeelunmo, Sophomore, Forward, 4.0 ppg
Charles Thompson, Sophomore, Forward, 3.2 ppg

Key New Players:
Cam Allen, Senior, Guard, Grad Transfer from CSU Bakersfield
Chris Biekeu, Freshman, Forward
Makhtar Gueye, Senior, Forward, Transfer from UAB
Darrick Jones Jr, Freshman, Guard
Demetrius Mims, Sophomore, Guard. Transfer from Long Beach State
Victor Uyaelunmo, Junior, Center, Transfer from USC
Curtis Holland III, Junior, Guard, Transfer from High Point, not eligible

Projection:
Four starters are gone, but there is plenty of returning young talent ready to pick up the slack. Jason Gibson had to battle through a lot of talent in front of him as a freshman last season. He did just that and averaged 8.4 points and 2.1 assists while earning 20 starts. With more shots to go around, Gibson could start to take over a bulk of the scoring. Fellow sophomore guard Nicolas Timberlake can knock down some shots too and was the conference's Sixth Man of the Year last season. Junior Jakigh Dottin led the team with 2.2 assists last season despite limited minutes. The frontcourt will look to Juwan Gray, the lone returning senior on the roster. The 6-8, Dover, Delaware native was quite productive in his 22.2 minutes per game, averaging 7.0 points and 4.3 rebounds off the bench. Sophomores Charles Thompson and Solomon Uyaeelunmo, who played in just two games before season-ending knee surgery, should again be solid options in the frontcourt. The six returning players are pretty good, but Towson needs an influx of talent to reach towards the top of the CAA. They got it with four transfers. Cam Allen, coming from CSU Bakersfield, is a shifty point guard who can shoot the ball. Demetrius Mims spent one year at Long Beach State and will provide some backcourt depth. The frontcourt adds Makhtar Gueye for UAB and Victor Uyaelunmo from USC. Gueye averaged 8.3 points and 6.7 rebounds with the Blazers and is an experienced 6-10 forward who should step right into a major role. Uyaelunmo is a seven-footer who earned a couple starts during his two years with the Trojans. Suddenly this is a big frontcourt that can potentially dominate the CAAat least on the defensive end. It will take a little more offense though to end that long NCAA Tournament drought.

Projected Postseason Tournament: CBI/CIT

By the Numbers:
Scoring Offense: 70.6 (196th in nation, 6th in conference)
Scoring Defense: 66.4 (92, 2)
Field-Goal Percentage: 43.3 (193, 7)
Field-Goal Defense: 41.0 (69, 1)
Three-Point Field Goals Per Game: 6.6 (243, 9)
Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage: 34.4 (117, 8)
Free-Throw Percentage: 77.1 (15, 3)
Rebound Margin: 5.5 (33, 1)
Assists Per Game: 11.4 (298, 9)
Turnovers Per Game: 11.9 (64, 4)
BigJack85
nacluth said:

That's a super tough three games to start with. I would like to believe that we'll get one of them, but if we could nab two I will be over the moon.
. Agreed . I think we get 2. Maybe a surprise and we pick off URI.
cboothe09
I think we take all three...The only "toss up" is a veteran St. Bonny team...All predictions I have come across show St. Bonny a top 3-4 team in a loaded A-10 this year. Saint Louis and Richmond seem to be consensus 1-2 with St. Bonny and Dayton fighting it out in the 3-4 spot.

Rhode Island will have Fatts Russell who is a STUD, but outside that they have a lot of new and unproven players. They hit the transfer portal hard it seems like and chemistry may not be there against a team like us that returns a lot of players from a year ago.

Towson is improving but they lost a lot and don't bring back a lot. That is our best opportunity for a win.
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

I think we take all three...The only "toss up" is a veteran St. Bonny team...All predictions I have come across show St. Bonny a top 3-4 team in a loaded A-10 this year. Saint Louis and Richmond seem to be consensus 1-2 with St. Bonny and Dayton fighting it out in the 3-4 spot.

Rhode Island will have Fatts Russell who is a STUD, but outside that they have a lot of new and unproven players. They hit the transfer portal hard it seems like and chemistry may not be there against a team like us that returns a lot of players from a year ago.

Towson is improving but they lost a lot and don't bring back a lot. That is our best opportunity for a win.

Good stuff, 09. Thanks for all of the info.
cboothe09
Kenpom came out last night. SFA came in at 144...Not bad but I expected better (sub-100)

Opponents
76 - St. Bonaventure
98 - Rhode Island
199 - Towson
292 - Louisiana Monroe

Notable SLC:
153 - ACU
245 - Lamar
257 - UCA
268 - NWST
278 - Nicholls
290 - SHSU
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Kenpom came out last night. SFA came in at 144...Not bad but I expected better (sub-100)

Opponents
76 - St. Bonaventure
98 - Rhode Island
199 - Towson
292 - Louisiana Monroe

Notable SLC:
153 - ACU
245 - Lamar
257 - UCA
268 - NWST
278 - Nicholls
290 - SHSU

Pomeroy is just putting teams about where they finished last year. His little computer program has nothing else upon which to base rankings.

BTW, I do like seeing Prison Tech bringing up the rear. That warms the cockles of my heart.
cboothe09
Matt Norlander is releasing his 1-357 today...

SFA - 108

St. Bonaventure - 85
Rhode Island - 116
Towson - 150
Louisiana Monroe - 300

SLC:
ACU - 194
Lamar - 212
UCA - 290
NWST - 231
Nicholls - 295
SHSU - 232
McNeese - 309
cboothe09
Aaaand now for a SLC/WAC comparison

Southland Kenpom 276.2/CBS 267
SFA 144/105
ACU 153/194
Lamar 245/212
UCA 257/290
NWST 268/231
Nicholls 278/295
SHSU 290/232
TAMUCC 310/293
UNO 313/318
McNeese 316/309
SLU 322/327
UIW 346/335
HBU 349/330

WAC Kenpom 271.6/CBS 261.3
New Mexico State 104/93
Grand Canyon 163/219
UTRGV 237/239
Cal Baptist 298/253
Utah Valley 314/291
Seattle 319/242
Dixie State 321/333
Tarleton 335/326
Chicago State 354/356

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.