2020-2021 Lumberjack Basketball

177,283 Views | 1144 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
According to the roster there are 15 players and I'm assuming 2 are walk on's ?
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Currently they have Brown listed as a Sr. and McDaniel as a So., but that could just be an early roster mistake. No details like they usually put up yet. Also, I don't think we've heard about Hawkins eligibility yet.

It amazes me that we know Brown's and McDaniel's correct athletic classifications but the person maintaining the Athletics website does not.
Ballwatch
Expecting big things from Roti
Jacks4460
Ballwatch said:

Expecting big things from Roti

My guy there!!! People are gonna know about Brown real quick like too.. our team is loaded.. attitude is great...
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

nacluth said:

Roster is up. Looks like Badgley is back as a walk-on along with Russel Hyman. No surprises which is nice.

https://sfajacks.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2020-21
I guess Hawkins is eligible? This team could be deeper than last year if all goes well. Looking forward to seeing Kharee and Brown along with new guys.
Don't think there's been a decision yet on Hawkins. Either way, he'd still be able to participate in practice.
wahlwesle
nacluth said:

Currently they have Brown listed as a Sr. and McDaniel as a So., but that could just be an early roster mistake. No details like they usually put up yet. Also, I don't think we've heard about Hawkins eligibility yet.
My guess is the website refers to their academic year, and not their NCAA eligibility.
SFAJack_76
wahlwesle said:

nacluth said:

My guess is the website refers to their academic year, and not their NCAA eligibility.
Web site shows the NCAA eligibility now.

https://sfajacks.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2020-21?&sort=class
nacluth
Senior class is boss.
No-look
nacluth said:

Senior class is boss.
Yep. Recruiting will have to be very focused for next year. Solid underclass lineup.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

nacluth said:

Senior class is boss.
Yep. Recruiting will have to be very focused for next year. Solid underclass lineup.

Keller had such success with JUCO's last year that I think he'll continue to go that route again. Heck, that's how Gonzaga and Texas Tech have been so good year after year.
cboothe09
Not that I don't think our guys can't do it, but it will be a hard sell to get a JUCO kid knowing one of their two years remaining will be without postseason play...
Rev007
Transfers that are required to sit out a year along with freshmen or Juco players that suffered injuries such as ACL tears that require a year of rehabilitation might be a way to get some really good players that otherwise might have better opportunities elsewhere. Hey.....let's look for a silver lining
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007 said:

Transfers that are required to sit out a year along with freshmen or Juco players that suffered injuries such as ACL tears that require a year of rehabilitation might be a way to get some really good players that otherwise might have better opportunities elsewhere. Hey.....let's look for a silver lining

And that jewel of a practice facility will be like a magnet, too!
cboothe09
Won't disagree with you there. I have 100% faith in our staff to fill the roster with talent to keep us at, not only the top of our conference, but as one of the leading mid-majors in the country. Mason is one of the best recruiters in the country, and I have no doubts he has plans for this next class.

The 21-22 season has a lot of intrigue because we are playing with house money. No postseason means we can take risks that we normally wouldn't. Also means we would be set for a potentially HUGE 22-23 season
SFA Jack Fanatic
cboothe09 said:

Mason is one of the best recruiters in the country, and I have no doubts he has plans for this next class.

The big fish Mason is chasing right now is Tyler Smith from Fort Bend Bush HS. Going up against some big dogs in trying to get him. I'm not sure which recruiting class he would be in.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

cboothe09 said:

Mason is one of the best recruiters in the country, and I have no doubts he has plans for this next class.

The big fish Mason is chasing right now is Tyler Smith from Fort Bend Bush HS. Going up against some big dogs in trying to get him. I'm not sure which recruiting class he would be in.

A long ways to go on Smith. He is a 2023 guy.
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

cboothe09 said:

Yes, and we will be free in 2023.
Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

cboothe09 said:

Yes, and we will be free in 2023.
by the time 2023 comes Smith could be a one and done type of player...kid is that good and potential through the roof and I am pretty sure he has a good foundation under him and in his corner.. I would love to have a player of that caliber... Even if he is 1 and done he will still be family and can help promote our great University.. Look at what KD has done at UT... SFA has alot of good people and I know to have a kid like this would be a total blessing to us all..
No-look
Schedule by August?
nacluth
August 21st was when they released the Southland slate last year.
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

Schedule by August?
By August? No. That's the end of this week. Situation is too fluid. Soccer and volleyball schedules are still changing, and they were to start play in August.
TallTexan
Didn't really have a thread for this, so thought I'd share here so everyone will see it.

Touching story from Gru as he's expecting his first kid.

SFA Jack Fanatic
Baylor to host SFA as part of its 2020-2021 non-con schedule, per Jon Rothstein..
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Baylor to host SFA as part of its 2020-2021 non-con schedule, per Jon Rothstein..
Baylor wanting another L on their resume? Baylor should be ranked top 10 at least?
PurpleOut
Staff
They'll probably be a Top 5 team. As of now they're returning basically everyone from a really good team, with some great incoming freshmen.
Jacks4460
No-look said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Baylor wanting another L on their resume? Baylor should be ranked top 10 at least?
Baylor will not want to lose to us again... They will be more than ready for this one...
No-look
PurpleOut said:

They'll probably be a Top 5 team. As of now they're returning basically everyone from a really good team, with some great incoming freshmen.
Didn't Butler and Teague declare for the draft? But I'm assuming they might pull out if it doesn't look promising?
No-look
Jacks4460 said:

No-look said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Baylor will not want to lose to us again... They will be more than ready for this one...
The days of us sneaking up on people are probably over since our last game at Baylor and the win at Duke. Drew has most likely already posted this game on the bulletin board.
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

PurpleOut said:

Didn't Butler and Teague declare for the draft? But I'm assuming they might pull out if it doesn't look promising?
Teague is returning. Butler still TBD.

If Butler returns they're Top 5. If he leaves they're probably still Top 10.
SFAXE93
They lost 3 seniors and only 1 starter...

Freddie Gillespie 6-9; 245 (started 9 games in conference play) 10 PPG 9.0 RPG
Devonte Bandoo 6-3; 185 (played in 34 games 7 starts) 8 PPG 4 RPG (4th in the conference in 3FG)
Obim Okeke 6-0; 225 (Didn't see a lot of time)

Returning starters
Jared Butler 6-3; 190 (Jr.) 16 PPG 3.1 APG (ALL-BIG 12)
Davion Mitchell 6-2; 195 (Jr.) 10 PPG 4.0 APG
MaCio Teague 6-3; 195 (Sr.) 14 PPG 5.0 RPG
Mark Vital 6-5; 230 (Sr.) 6.1 PPG 6.4 RPG

Incoming freshmen
C: Dain Dainja 6-9; 260 Minneapolis, MN. (Park Center) **** #3 State; #83 National
G: LJ Cryer 6-1; 180 Katy, Texas (Morton Ranch) **** #4 State; #91 National (SFA offered)
C: Zach Loveday 7-1; 205 Gallipolis, Ohio (Huntington Prep.) *** #4 State; #149 National

SFAJack_76
Nothing here that is new.
No-look
Coach Cox said they had two high quality games scheduled so far. Baylor should be one, who is the other?
sfa17
Yep same crap .. different day. Maybe another Texas or southern state team??
sfa17
SFA VS Kansas, December 29

TallTexan
I am stoked!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.