2018-2019 Basketball Season

299,245 Views | 1139 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PurpleOut
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Players leaving is not new. We should not be shocked if players leave.

Frankly, there are different ways to look at a player leaving:

(1) Were they a good player who left because of outside influences or general philosophical differences? Basically, leaving on "good terms?"

Or

(2) Were they a player who quit? A player who felt entitled to something and didn't get it? Basically the AAU mindset of telling them they are the greatest all the time.

If the answer is #2, then sometimes it can be more beneficial to have those players NOT on the team.

I don't want anyone to leave, but we have to understand it happens and it happens everywhere.

If we have to run 8 guys out there, then so be it. Those 8 guys have bought in and are willing to go the distance.

Those are the guys we want.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Excellent post 76.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Excellent post also Master.
ljax1979
Unfortunately there is not a star rating for character.
cboothe09
Sorry if I ruined anyone's perception of the win last night. It was a thrilling win where the team showed a lot of heart and grit to get the victory. It was actually vintage Danny-ball for the most part. We weren't high flying and playing "Press-Virginia" or "Chaos" style, but what started our run.

As for the problem at hand, I don't know what the issue is. I'm not in the locker rooms, practices, on the buses, or in the huddles. I don't know if it is player personalities, or if it is a coaching issue. I'm not going to try and blame one side or the other, but I do feel there is a problem. Every team is dealing with these problems, but to the extent we are is questionable. I think the only transfer many of us predicted after this season was a possible grad transfer from TJ. Now we are possibly down three scholarship players before the season ends. Again, not in the locker room to know what is going on, and I do not want to speculate on anything without the facts, which we will likely never have.

I also understand that this isn't a problem that only we are facing. My goodness, Mike Boynton is having a hell of a time in Stillwater right now. I understand transfers happen. It is part of the game and something we expect to see each and every off-season, whether we like it or not.

Let me reiterate, I'm not asking for his head right now. I'm not calling this a lost season. I just see a potential problem that needs to be addressed in some way or another.
BigJack85
cboothe09 said:

Sorry if I ruined anyone's perception of the win last night. It was a thrilling win where the team showed a lot of heart and grit to get the victory. It was actually vintage Danny-ball for the most part. We weren't high flying and playing "Press-Virginia" or "Chaos" style, but what started our run.

As for the problem at hand, I don't know what the issue is. I'm not in the locker rooms, practices, on the buses, or in the huddles. I don't know if it is player personalities, or if it is a coaching issue. I'm not going to try and blame one side or the other, but I do feel there is a problem. Every team is dealing with these problems, but to the extent we are is questionable. I think the only transfer many of us predicted after this season was a possible grad transfer from TJ. Now we are possibly down three scholarship players before the season ends. Again, not in the locker room to know what is going on, and I do not want to speculate on anything without the facts, which we will likely never have.

I also understand that this isn't a problem that only we are facing. My goodness, Mike Boynton is having a hell of a time in Stillwater right now. I understand transfers happen. It is part of the game and something we expect to see each and every off-season, whether we like it or not.

Let me reiterate, I'm not asking for his head right now. I'm not calling this a lost season. I just see a potential problem that needs to be addressed in some way or another.

I for one am a "realist" I recognize that in the era of millennials and me me me that you will have kids move on a dime. The issue I see is the volume. Danny had kids leave I get it but Keller has had defections from the get go and I figured it would diminish as he got to a finer tuned recruiting grove and recruited "better fit" players/character. Doesn't seem to be progressing that way. I hope he continues to get top notch talent but I think we are in a position where we have numerous "Chiefs" and not enough Indians. Not everyone can be Shannon Bogues plain and simple. Half of your recruits are going to be role players unless your Kentucky and have a size able payroll . It just seems like we recruited a bunch of high flyers and hope that they gell. I don't think Thomas Walkup was more than a role player his freshman year. He worked into superstar status over a period of time. And yes he had a maturity beyond his years.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
LUMBERJACK2005
TallTexan said:

Pilotgirl said:

NO MORE...CANNOT REVISIT THESE OLD WOUNDS
Korbin already dragged Matt and I in, figured I would share the grief with the rest of ya'll.
Ugh, right up there with Pujols's NLCS homerun versus the Astros for me. Absolute gut punch when ND got the tip-in.
ljax1979
Karl Nicholas is no longer listed on the roster on the SFA website.
ljax1979
Keller's resume is pretty solid. If he's that toxic I don't feel like he would have held positions at Power 5 schools for multiple years. With that said, people change...especially when given a higher authority role.
sfa17
ljax1979 said:

Karl Nicholas is no longer listed on the roster on the SFA website.

"Another one bites the dust
And another one gone, and another one gone
Another one bites the dust"
migata33
MasterAxe said:

(1) Were they a good player who left because of outside influences or general philosophical differences? Basically, leaving on "good terms?"

Or

(2) Were they a player who quit? A player who felt entitled to something and didn't get it? Basically the AAU mindset of telling them they are the greatest all the time.

If the answer is #2, then sometimes it can be more beneficial to have those players NOT on the team.

I don't want anyone to leave, but we have to understand it happens and it happens everywhere.

If we have to run 8 guys out there, then so be it. Those 8 guys have bought in and are willing to go the distance.

Blame Keller if you want but if you are going to throw shade on him throw some equally on a Shaka Smart who is having a heck of a time at Texas making that program into a power again. How about Scott Brooks? He looked like a genius when he had Harden, KD and Westbrook and then he didn't look so smart after Harden left. Our very own legend Brad Underwood is sucking wind at Illinois. You are what your players make you and right now Keller dealt with injuries at the beginning of the season and ineffectiveness now on a roster basically filled with forwards. He has 3 reliable players....3! You win with 3!

If he was such a hazard to winning why is the team giving the effort it is? They came back from 7 points in like :28 seconds the other night...you don't do that unless you care and they care. Keller has never thrown anyone under a bus..you never hear him give any negative feed back anywhere. He is a stand up guy and a heck of a coach.

This season is a mess for many reasons...its just a bad roster and every personal decision this year seems to have backfired in the worst way possible. Bottom line right now...we are winning conference games again and they may not be pretty but we are going to go to Katy and could very well win the post season bid to the NCAA's once again.

We are used to winning and sometimes you don't win...lets not go rouge emotionally right now...lets get through this season and keep the vision clear and see what happens. Go Jacks
migata33
MasterAxe said:

Or

Master...I agree with your post 100% btw....my other post should not reflect on your views above just used your post to post my thoughts underneath. Go Jacks!
Ljacks&Longnecks
I would disagree with 2005 statement that players that transfer from "our level" are transferring up a level in competition at least as far as our transfers have gone...Traylor went to North Alabama I believe....Fisher to Juco.Johnson to Grambling..... Augustin and Nicholas no where as of now.....only Mack to St John's if and when would qualify under that statement. Seraille is still a ??

I can't comment on the "toxic" statement as I would have no idea what happens in practice or the locker room. I can say that KK has been around a long time and I would doubt that he would have gotten very far along the way had he been toxic. Only thing I would give you on that is if he approaches head coaching differently than his other gigs.

Lastly the Never Keller crowd will always have the noose in hand and blame him for everything from injuries to flat popcorn at WRJ. You certainly have that right but I will stick with KK for the foreseeable future.
BigJack85
I'm not sure I buy that because Shaka and Brad aren't killing it we give Keller a pass. The big difference is tradition and resources. Versus our level of competition. Tradition, SFA has it in spades over all other conference foes save Lamar. Resources... only Lamar and Abilene spend "near" what SFA spends on hoops. Does that mean that we win the conference every year, NO. It just means that having a virtual circus 80% of the time is not meeting expectations..... I get it , a little drama every now and then is expected but this is like a great broadway musical. They go on and on and on.

Pull it together Keller. Even being dealt a pretty $h1tty hand we have the advantage in talent that we should be beating SWAG without a last second shot.
sfa17
We haven't improve since the beginning of the year . We have had 1 or 2 good games but our level has stayed the same. Injuries suck but we are playing in the southland. The Southland.... We are playing against some of the worst teams in D1 basketball. The bottom of the bottom. Think about that for a second. Northwestern, the team we lost to at HOME is the #342 out of 353 on kenpom. UIW #341, a team we struggled with. Lost to Nichols 297, lost UNO 282 and let's not forget about a 1 point win at home over a D2 team. Even our wins have been unimpressive (i'm not talking buzzer beater to bad teams) No excuses. Keller was one missed shot away from being in serious trouble. We won this week but outside of the last few seconds it was horrible game and performance. I'm not team Keller or anti team Keller. Coaches will come and go but SFA is what I'm loyal to. We need to make a serious you turn. I'm not yelling fire anyone but it is also reasonable to have doubts bc of the way we have been playing.
INiedrauer
Staff
Even suggesting Kyle Keller be shown the door less than three seasons in absolutely ludicrous.

Danny Kaspar, who we all agree is a fine coach, had exactly one season - ONE - better than last season here under Keller.

And that's just conference. Kaspar never had a 28 win season. Thomas Walkup was lightening in a bottle for three years but this is not a program that has dwelled on some mountaintop for decades. Yes, SFA is in the Southland. Not above it, in it.

So here we are, less than a season removed from a 14-4 record and 28 wins with a berth to the NCAA Tournament, a couple days after a gutty come-from-behind win, and this is the topic of conversation?

Come on. Just come on.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TallTexan
INiedrauer said:

Even suggesting Kyle Keller be shown the door less than three seasons in absolutely ludicrous.

Danny Kaspar, who we all agree is a fine coach, had exactly one season - ONE - better than last season here under Keller.

And that's just conference. Kaspar never had a 28 win season. Thomas Walkup was lightening in a bottle for three years but this is not a program that has dwelled on some mountaintop for decades. Yes, SFA is in the Southland. Not above it, in it.

So here we are, less than a season removed from a 14-4 record and 28 wins with a berth to the NCAA Tournament, a couple days after a gutty come-from-behind win, and this is the topic of conversation?

Come on. Just come on.
You said that so much better than I could have.
SFA Jack Fanatic
INiedrauer said:

Come on. Just come on.

Amen, Isaac! Ludicrous!
No-look
What Isaac said.
sfa17
you say ludicrous , I say reasonable. I also didnt say we need to fire him, It's like you either want him fired or love him. Life isnt black and white. We don't have to agree on everything. The same program Keller has isn't the same program Kaspar had. But we can all agree that we have not be doing good and we need to improve ASAP and that definitely didn't happen the last 2 or 3 games.
BigJack85
sfa17 said:

you say ludicrous , I say reasonable. I also didnt say we need to fire him, It's like you either want him fired or love him. Life isnt black and white. We don't have to agree on everything. The same program Keller has isn't the same program Kaspar had. But we can all agree that we have not be doing good and we need to improve ASAP and that definitely didn't happen the last 2 or 3 games.

I know we weren't on the mountain top but you have to consider decades and decades of dominance in the small college ranks from the 30's to the early and mid 80's. I can hear the refrain "That's not the same as D1" but the fact remains SFA has been for years the premier non major program in Texas. With the exception of some real $h1t from 88-98 we've been pretty good. Even though Danny couldn't get us across the finish line (win an NCAA tournament game) he always had us in the mix. I think a fair representation of Keller's tenure is "incomplete". If he pulls it together next year and gets us back to the NCAA's with some momentum I think we will breathe a sigh of relief. Till then the jury is out. Oh and yes I have reset my expectations for this year. I'll consider 18-12 a success.... at the margins.
Ljacks&Longnecks
17...we are all disappointed, frustrated, unhappy with the way this men's season has gone. Simple fact is that injuries derailed this team from the start and then the roster deletions have made the situation worse. You do realize that we only have 8 scholarship players available now +2 walkons and some of those guys are not starters. We have 2 studs that have to play 40 minutes a game and carry most of the scoring load. I think you will find that no matter what bad conference we play in...every game is going to be a struggle now with as little depth as we have...don't see an way that we can dominate the conference at this point. Best hope is guys like Fitz start adding more points to help Bogues and Harris.
All that is not to say that we can't still be a force the rest of the way but there won't be any cakewalks. Just hope that we don't lose anyone else to injury.
RedRiverLa
INiedrauer said:

Come on. Just come on.

This. End of discussion
Rev007
As a loyal Jacks fan, this season has been a major disappointment, but I'm expecting a turnaround. It's obvious that this team has not jelled, and I believe that it's because we had too many newcomers that didn't buy into the Jacks' style of basketball. I believe in mathematics, and we all know that when you subtract a negative, you get a positive result. This team has two outstanding players in Kevon and Shannon. All we need are three more "team players" and three coming off the bench, and I believe we have these players. Sammy may not be flashy, but he is solid and gives 100%. Ditto for John. He's a guy who shouldn't have even played this year because of micro fracture surgery, but he loves the game. Let's not forget Nathan. The guy can jump out of the gym and is a "team player,". I believe Oddyst is showing signs of potential and could give Shannon a few minutes rest every now and then.

I left off Davonte even though I know he will be playing lots of minutes. He has the size and skill set to be an impact player, but why isn't that happening? He can definitely help this team if he buys into Coach Keller's system...TBD

Mitch and Jock need to work on their games in the offseason. Mitch needs to bulk up and Jack needs to work on being able to create space to get his shot off. Both of these guys will benefit from the exodus of the malcontents.

Jovan, Rance, and Ed...thanks for being team players!

Coach Keller, you're a great recruiter. Let's get some guys in here that have solid characters and who are gym rats, always working on their craft. Maybe the next Walkup will evolve....we can only hope
HJC69
I was about to post the situation just got better instead of worse with the recent deletions but rev007 hit it perfectly!
INiedrauer
Staff
Great post, Rev.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

BigJack85
"Thoughtful" critique is what drives this forum. We all have opinions. As long as they are presented with civility and forethought I am happy to see it.
wahlwesle
https://instagr.am/p/BtHLsBdgNM_
nacluth
I hope that's the truth.
sfa17
BigJack85 said:

"Thoughtful" critique is what drives this forum. We all have opinions. As long as they are presented with civility and forethought I am happy to see it.

Totally agree.
SFAJack_76
No way to put any positive spin on that one. It was awful. Posting in this thread because I didn't want to see that one at the top.

So, here we are. Brutal year with injuries and departures. Middle of the pack team that is very thin. Hughes out with broken finger. Samuli gutting out a bum ankle. Comeaux playing on a fragile knee. Seraille learning what D1 college and basketball is all about. Shannon and Kevon doing everything they can to put the team on their backs. It has been a heavy load.

Four of the next six are at home with the two road games against bottom of the pack teams. Six winnable games. Wednesday at HBU is the most important game of this season. Win and have a chance to start a nice streak. Lose and ....

For the record, I am still with Keller and his staff. The biggest criticism I have is that they have missed badly on PG recruiting which is the most important position on the team. What they do to fill the rest of however many scholarships we have available will influence me staying strongly on the bandwagon or starting to slide off.
TallTexan
Can't disagree too much. I like what we see from Oddyst and John is good, but we're missing Aaron big time.

I also think we need a better lane defender in our next recruiting class. Seraille is getting better, but he's going to be the guy who can be a shot blocker with athleticism, not the guy who's stopping big bodied players from using their strength in the lane.

Basically, we need a guy like Gru, but with a mean streak like a Rottweiler. Someone who can play 10 minutes a game, when we're running our game, but that can go in and claim the lane on a night like last night.
migata33
Can the coaching staff make lemonade still out of this lemon of a season is the question? This roster is just not at a level talent wise that can really be expected to overcome a lot of teams that can run multiple offensive sets like Sam pulled on us last night. Sam had us looking like a chicken running around without a head with their backdoor cuts and motion offense options that lead to confusion and open 3 and a wealth of offensive 2nd chance points.
The ref's were horrible last night. In a season of atrocious officiating in the SLC this crew should be poster boys for what a ref crew should not be but lets not discredit Sam as they played under the same conditions and dominated us and congrats to them for that.

I just was expecting more from us in a rivalry game and we looks DOA from the start. Kevon and Shannon always bring it and as your leaders they set a great tone. Fitzgerald has skills and can really dominate a game if he would stay in the mid range jumper area and the coaching staff can put together some plays where we run a in and out passing game with him. If we only a guard who could quarterback this team and free up the skill players. Keller cant run multiple sets unfortunately and games just turn into one on one possessions and so you will have nights like this sometimes.

They should get to Katy as they are good enough still to beat most SLC opponents especially at home. Maybe Keller and the staff can find a key to unlock something and they get on a hot streak and win their way to the NCAA tourney. The great thing about playing in a conference like the SLC is that no one is Duke or Virginia and are capable on any night of falling apart especially with the SLC refs killing game flow and frustrating game plans. Nothing is impossible....improbable sure...impossible no. Go Jacks!
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

For the record, I am still with Keller and his staff. The biggest criticism I have is that they have missed badly on PG recruiting which is the most important position on the team. What they do to fill the rest of however many scholarships we have available will influence me staying strongly on the bandwagon or starting to slide off.

I agree with virtually everything you said, 76. Except I will never slide off the bandwagon. That wagon is awfully bumpy, though, making it hard to hang on. More potholes this year than any other in recent memory.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I agree with virtually everything you said, 76. Except I will never slide off the bandwagon. That wagon is awfully bumpy, though, making it hard to hang on. More potholes this year than any other in recent memory.
Hah. Good for you. Having been around a long time, I have seen coaches that I supported reach a point that a change needed to be made. I think we are very far from that in this case. I really, really want to see some top flight PG recruits though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.