2018-2019 Basketball Season

295,760 Views | 1139 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PurpleOut
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He looks great. Our whole next year class does really.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Is it just me or does Karl Nicholas look like are real potential wild card? He doesn't play this season correct??? He could be real contributor next year.

I mean this in a positive way. From what I read (unless I've got him confused with someone else) he can play the 2,3 or 4 slot in a pinch. His real strength is playing a 3/4 combo shooting forward/power forward. Am I off base ???
Has anyone seen him in workouts and scrimmages? We need an unofficial Sawmill evaluation of him, too.
sfa17
Since the season is almost here,,,
Stephen F. Austin vs SE Louisiana Basketball 2018 Southland Championship

TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Interesting.

Stephen F. Austin 10/28 vs. Rice; 10/23 at Texas A&M

https://watchstadium.com/news/not-so-secret-list-of-2018-college-basketball-scrimmages-10-09-2018/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Man I wish those were in season games.

Question, will these be open to the public?
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Interesting.

Stephen F. Austin 10/28 vs. Rice; 10/23 at Texas A&M

https://watchstadium.com/news/not-so-secret-list-of-2018-college-basketball-scrimmages-10-09-2018/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Man I wish those were in season games.

Question, will these be open to the public?
"These used to be a lips-are-sealed secret, now they are just closed to the fans and the public."

Try to keep up, Texan...
nacluth
Typically they won't even recognize that they had scrimmages. Doors locked events.
TallTexan
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Typically they won't even recognize that they had scrimmages. Doors locked events.

So your saying it'll take espionage, subterfuge, and ninja skills to get in?

I'm on it.
jboy93
Stephen F. Austin was picked to win the conference with 23 first place votes and 287 total points, and Southeastern Louisiana was second.

This was from a post after i did a search on Southland Conference Basketball!
jboy93
Southland Conference Preseason Men's Basketball Poll
First place votes in parantheses
1. Stephen F. Austin (23) 287; 2. Southeastern Louisiana (2) 243; 3. New Orleans 204; 4. Abilene Christian (1) 196; 5. Lamar 186; 6. Sam Houston State 184; 7. McNeese 172; 8. Central Arkansas 136; 9. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 115; 10. (tie) Houston Baptist 101; Nicholls 101; 12. Northwestern State 73; 13. Incarnate Word 30
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Maybe I don't understand, but how is three games for $55 a deal. It's usually $10 for a game ticket. Are they going up to $20/game? That seems like an inordinate jump...or is there something I'm not seeing? Like is this for a family of 4? Anyway, something doesn't sound right.
Jacks4460
nacluth said:

Maybe I don't understand, but how is three games for $55 a deal. It's usually $10 for a game ticket. Are they going up to $20/game? That seems like an inordinate jump...or is there something I'm not seeing? Like is this for a family of 4? Anyway, something doesn't sound right.
I know the prices are going up on some.. The closer to the court and closer to the center court the higher the price.. Think in the ticketing world they call it tier pricing... For example reserved seats will be 25-20-10 depending on their location..
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

It is a way for someone to assure Alabama seats I suspect. I wonder if those tickets might be priced differently?

The best deal is two reserved season tickets and parking pass for a $500 Varsity Club membership.
SFASawmillGuy
nacluth said:

The Alabama game should be more expensive. That ones gonna be a spectacle in the coliseum. First SEC school ever in the coliseum. And it's a tournament team. SFA will be looking for a statement win.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

It is a way for someone to assure Alabama seats I suspect. I wonder if those tickets might be priced differently?

The best deal is two reserved season tickets and parking pass for a $500 Varsity Club membership.
or $2500 Varsity Club and get 4 tickets and a parking pass and snacks before the games..
nacluth
I like the thought of us being awesome and selling out the Coliseum, but truth is over Christmas break that that is not impossible but extremely unlikely. Raising ticket prices to $25 for close seats are going to leave those empty seats even more empty in my opinion. I'm all for financially supporting the Jacks but going from 8 to 10 to 12 to 20/25 in three years sounds ridiculous. Maybe it's me that's out of touch.
Ballwatch
nacluth said:

I really don't see myself spending $55 per person for my family of 4, however, I'm assuming this price is suppose to be a special deal, with the individual Alabama game tickets being higher than regular game tickets?
nacluth
nacluth said:

I like the thought of us being awesome and selling out the Coliseum, but truth is over Christmas break that that is not impossible but extremely unlikely. Raising ticket prices to $25 for close seats are going to leave those empty seats even more empty in my opinion. I'm all for financially supporting the Jacks but going from 8 to 10 to 12 to 20/25 in three years sounds ridiculous. Maybe it's me that's out of touch.

Also, I just tried to buy the "mini plan" and it said it was general admission only. Even more bizarre considering season tickets are $100.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

nacluth said:

Also, I just tried to buy the "mini plan" and it said it was general admission only. Even more bizarre considering season tickets are $100.

The more expensive pricing option assures that you get a seat next to Ed. Those are at a premium.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Have to agree with Ryan, jacking up ticket prices to $25, even with tier pricing is going to leave a lot of seats empty. Powers that be would do well to remember that Nacogdoches is far from a wealthy area and that the idea should be to get folks into WRJ to support the teams.
For this game in particular with the students gone, it's all the more important to rally the town and surrounding areas and draw them in....SEC opponent...the view of a nice crowd on ESPNU....and the victory would enrich SFA more than the price hike.
Mr Ivey....you listening?
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

nacluth said:

The more expensive pricing option assures that you get a seat next to Ed. Those are at a premium.
Nacluth would have to buy about a dozen to accommodate all of those rug rats of his.
nacluth
So true...
CertifiedAxeman98
New changes for Southlandscheduling for next year adding 2 conference games. They should also schedule the top 4-6 teams teams from the prior year to meet 2 times not just once. Looks like Southland wants the league to travel a lot in non-conference next year unless they have a way to get of top 300 D1 teams to travel to SL schools. Sounds great but not sure how to make this happen unless you travel or go to tournaments on neutral sites.

sfa17
Yeah, the goal needs to be getting as many people to the Bama game as possible. If it needs to be free for that to happen then it should.Hopefully this doesn't backfire. It will look good on Tv and go a long way with recruiting.
PurpleOut
Staff
I wouldn't have any problem paying $55 to get into the Bama game + 2 more games, especially a big conference game like SLU. In my opinion our ticket prices, concessions, etc are dirt cheap for such a good show. But perfectly understand someone else that would have a problem or think otherwise. This mini-plan definitely doesn't make much sense, unless they are trying to push more season tickets, which I also get. If they are only GA seats....just spend an extra $45 and get the entire season.

I also think we need to do away with GA tickets, or at least that many.That's the biggest issue for the Cram the Coliseum game, it's just chaos. Instead, we should have the entire or the majority of the arena reserved seating, but keep the old GA seat pricing. Sell the lower seats first so everyone is closer to the court. Even if they want to move up, this is still a better effort to create a better environment instead of just letting everyone lazily sit wherever. If we want to be a big boy program we're going to have to do some big boy things like this, and get rid of a lot of the "old way" of doing things.

And lastly, I agree the Varsity Club is the best way to go. You get to donate to the athletic department (and have the option to put the $ towards any program like the bball team), get two reserved season tickets, all of the other perks, AND is tax deductible.
PurpleOut
Staff
Just for reference, I looked at some other Mid-Major programs (Loyola, George Mason, UNI, Indiana State, Rhode Island, Western Kentucky, and Middle Tenn) and only UNI had a GA section (one end). I looked at Gonzaga as well just for the hell of it, their entire season ticket amount and single game tickets are sold out. Crazy.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Gonzaga's fan base is awesome. To be fair to Nacogdoches, McCarthy Center seats 6,000 in a metropolitan population of 500,000 and sells out. The Coliseum is 7,200 seats in a metro (counting some outlying communities) population of 50,000. I heard that we had over 1,000 season tickets sold last year. (I would love to know the exact number). Just saying per capita our fan base is doing all right - even if we can and need to do better.

A sell out in Nac is almost 25% of our inside city limits population; in Spokane with a perennial powerhouse, it's 3% (inside city limits).
Jacks4460
nacluth said:

Gonzaga's fan base is awesome. To be fair to Nacogdoches, McCarthy Center seats 6,000 in a metropolitan population of 500,000 and sells out. The Coliseum is 7,200 seats in a metro (counting some outlying communities) population of 50,000. I heard that we had over 1,000 season tickets sold last year. (I would love to know the exact number). Just saying per capita our fan base is doing all right - even if we can and need to do better.

A sell out in Nac is almost 25% of our inside city limits population; in Spokane with a perennial powerhouse, it's 3% (inside city limits).
Thats good stuff nacluth...
TallTexan
nacluth said:

We should focus on getting more locals into the games. I'd love to see a deep dive into the demographics of our regular attendees so then we can target everyone else.

FWIW, according to the census,there are 67k within 15 miles, 170k within 30 miles,and 280k within 45 miles.

So while not as compact or as populated as Spokane, still plenty of potential fans to get a good sized crowd twice a week.
No-look
Seems that area media coverage is up from last year(so far).... What if there was a couple games designated to area highschool students or players? Free admission. Let them experience the atmosphere. Probably pick up some loyal fans. Have an Elementary and Middle-school day. Get people involved and some will stick. There are a lot of schools in fifty mile radius.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

We should focus on getting more locals into the games. I'd love to see a deep dive into the demographics of our regular attendees so then we can target everyone else.

FWIW, according to the census,there are 67k within 15 miles, 170k within 30 miles,and 280k within 45 miles.

So while not as compact or as populated as Spokane, still plenty of potential fans to get a good sized crowd twice a week.

I may be an outlier but I believe we already over perform in terms of getting locals to the games. I think our real challenge is CONSISTENTLY getting 3,000 - 4,000 undergraduates/graduates to most games. If we averaged 3,500 students to the 80% of games that occur during fall and spring semesters we'd average 5,000 a game.

3,500 is about 26% of our student population...... seems reasonable.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
Anybody know what our current student average is?
nacluth
Quote:

I may be an outlier but I believe we already over perform in terms of getting locals to the games. I think our real challenge is CONSISTENTLY getting 3,000 - 4,000 undergraduates/graduates to most games. If we averaged 3,500 students to the 80% of games that occur during fall and spring semesters we'd average 5,000 a game.

3,500 is about 26% of our student population...... seems reasonable.

I fully agree with this. My guess is that we pull lower than 1,000 students on all except our biggest billed games. I think they usually make up about 25% of our average attendance. If they could get that to 50% - 3000 students, 3000 community, we would have one of the finest home courts in the country.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.