2018-2019 Basketball Season

295,687 Views | 1139 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PurpleOut
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
La. Tech December 7.

https://latechsports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

La. Tech December 7.

https://latechsports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

At home too. Awesome.
SFAJack_76
280 of 353 D1 programs have released at least their non-conference schedule. Fewer D1 teams every day to fill in the gaps in the home schedule.

I know. Be patient they said.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

280 of 353 D1 programs have released at least their non-conference schedule. Fewer D1 teams every day to fill in the gaps in the home schedule.

I know. Be patient they said.
I think Keller is reading the forum & just enjoying making us wait. He's aiming to be 353 of 353.
CertifiedAxeman98
I would be happy to see the non-conference games that have been released by LA tech and St. Edwards added to the schedule so they will show up on the schedule I subscribe to.
PurpleOut
Staff
Over the weekend I heard one issue is several teams backed out of agreed games. It's hard enough to complete a schedule for us, but when assumed games have to be replaced almost last minute...it gets even harder.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

Over the weekend I heard one issue is several teams backed out of agreed games. It's hard enough to complete a schedule for us, but when assumed games have to be replaced almost last minute...it gets even harder.
Yeah, and we end up with some D-II teams that many people will complain about and wonder why we scheduled them.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

Good grief. There must be changes made to the process. How many games short are we?

Is women's similar? No games posted for them yet.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

That's incredibly frustrating. D1 basketball needs some sort of scheduling authority.

Where these P6 teams backing out or our fellow midmajors?
PurpleOut
Staff
Guess we'll have the same uniforms as last year. At least in purple.

TallTexan
I still wanna know if we're gonna get that script jersey.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

CertifiedAxeman98
I see that we now have LA Tech on sfajacks.com schedule. From a scheduling prospective I would propose a few things.

Home and home with other mid-majors like we have done with LA Tech or UAB in the past. Better than schedule D2 teams at home when big schools won't do a home and home. So thankful to have Alabama coming to Nac but that is not going to happen very often from big schools. I don't see Baylor ever coming to Nac.

2 away for 1 home. You can not do too many of these but if you did one every now and then you will get a home game from a big school from time to time. I wouldn't mind going to a big school a couple of times if I new that in the middle I would have them come to us. We travel to big schools anyway we should try and get something more than a pay check for traveling.

The Southland should get with another conference (big sky, atlantic sun, sunbelt, etc.) find a location in the middle of the 2 conferences and do a weekend and play a few games. A D1 team at a neutral location is better than a D2 team at home. If you want to stack it in favor of better teams (i.e. best teams in one conference play weaker teams in another conference) or match them up based on trying to make them competitive you can. Events like Belfast help as well.

Big schools have been rewarded with at large tournament bids for so long while avoiding mid-majors on the road they have no incentive to change. You either work around it or make it worth their while to come to you. Teams like Texas had losing records in their conference and were 1 and done in the tournament while teams like Saint Mary's and Western Kentucky got shipped off to the NIT.

If the NCAA wanted to make a change they could simply state that those with losing conference records could only get in if they win their conference tournament. This is what they used to do with FBS bowl games, the old rule of 6-6 record being the minimum.

My 2 cents. #Axe'Em
TallTexan
You know, I actually like the Neutral site conference challenge/tourney idea. Do something like everyone gets two games.

If it was Sunbelt, you could do a great weekend in Nola or Dallas.
sfa17
There are so many decent mid major teams. Why not try get a home/home with a top 150 mid major like Middle Tennessee or UT Arlington. Maybe some A10 teams. The A10 is a undervalued basketball conference. The good mid major teams need to start working together.

It took Gonzaga almost 20 years of straight ncaa appearances and wins to get p5 respect. Now Gonzaga gets home and homes. It won't be a easy road.
SFASawmillGuy
sfa17 said:

There are so many decent mid major teams. Why not try get a home/home with a top 150 mid major like Middle Tennessee or UT Arlington. Maybe some A10 teams. The A10 is a undervalued basketball conference. The good mid major teams need to start working together.

It took Gonzaga almost 20 years of straight ncaa appearances and wins to get p5 respect. Now Gonzaga gets home and homes. It won't be a easy road.

An issue is that a lot of those schools share our mentality or needing to schedule power 5 teams.
Our schedule this season is loaded and I love it, but in a year that we have trouble getting great games scheduled I agree, we should opt for playing the UNIs, the UMBC, and schools like that.
PurpleForever
Since we're talking about scheduling then I'll go ahead and throw out the idea I've always wanted to see happen. I think a mid major only pre conference tournament would be just as fun as watching the Maui Invitational and the other large tournaments. Invite ten or so of the top 25 mid majors each year and have them each play 3 or 4 games. I know these wouldn't give each team the "big name games." But surely the coaches would value these competitive games early in the year. As a fan I'd tune in every year.
TallTexan
PurpleForever said:

Since we're talking about scheduling then I'll go ahead and throw out the idea I've always wanted to see happen. I think a mid major only pre conference tournament would be just as fun as watching the Maui Invitational and the other large tournaments. Invite ten or so of the top 25 mid majors each year and have them each play 3 or 4 games. I know these wouldn't give each team the "big name games." But surely the coaches would value these competitive games early in the year. As a fan I'd tune in every year.

That'd be a good fit.
SFAXE93
Ahh nice and warm here in this program

The Coach Keller Collection
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

I, too, prefer to wrap myself in the welcoming atmosphere, aroma, and warmth of an indoor athletic venue. The viewing is unquestionably far superior also...
TallTexan
edstile said:

SFAXE93 said:

I, too, prefer to wrap myself in the welcoming atmosphere, aroma, and warmth of an indoor athletic venue. The viewing is unquestionably far superior also...

Guys, Ed got trapped in a stall at WRJ again. Somebody call maintenance to get him out.
CertifiedAxeman98
Not sure if this was posted already but a second D2 game of non-conference was scheduled against Arlington Baptist the day before Thanksgiving. So before and after Thanksgiving we have D2 games.

http://abpatriots.com/sports/mens-basketball/scheduleresults/

PurpleOut
Staff
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Not sure if this was posted already but a second D2 game of non-conference was scheduled against Arlington Baptist the day before Thanksgiving. So before and after Thanksgiving we have D2 games.

Thanks. That shows December 21st though.
CertifiedAxeman98
PurpleOut said:

CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Your correct I goofed.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Swell. Might as well play that one in Shelton. Attendance will be abysmal. They are also playing at Lamar, ACU, and HBU. Are those all money games for Arlington Baptist?
tangerito
I'm guessing they needed something to stay fresh before the Alabama game. Its the catch 22 in college basketball. If you are not very good, anyone will play you. If there's a slight chance of you beating someone from a larger conference, they won't take that chance. I remember story's of Brad trying to get decent games and the comment from one coach is "Why would I pay you for you to come hear and possibly beat me". I don't know what the answer is but it needs to change.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

Those look awesome.

Could we also get a few guys who look 40 again too?
Txjack
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

Count me in on the script jersey!
Those tube socks and short shorts tho....
SFAJack_76
Whatever "soon" is.

tangerito
I'm not expecting any big surprises!
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

Whatever "soon" is.

Probably before the weekend.

I heard some really fun (and big) games that we had on the schedule that weren't able to get finalized.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Whatever "soon" is.

Probably before the weekend.

I heard some really fun (and big) games that we had on the schedule that weren't able to get finalized.

Bummer. When can you start scheduling for 2019? Can we get those locked down now for next season?

PurpleOut
Staff
Maybe. But it's too easy to agree to a game right now. Then realize the team they (we) will have and then say nevermind.
No-look
When does official practice start?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.