2020-2021 Lumberjack Basketball

178,522 Views | 1144 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TallTexan
RichieVan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As we start to look at next season (which should have us all excited), I think it best to have a place to collect everyone's thoughts.

To start off the discussion, two very good players we won't have to face next year are Hayden Koval of UCA and Ty Brewer of SE Louisiana. They've entered the transfer portal. Two big losses for teams that did not qualify for the Southland tourney this year.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28167956/college-basketball-transfer-rankings-2020-21-2021-22
No-look
Nicholls and ACU could be tough again. SFA should be loaded.
No-look
RichieVan said:

As we start to look at next season (which should have us all excited), I think it best to have a place to collect everyone's thoughts.

To start off the discussion, two very good players we won't have to face next year are Hayden Koval of UCA and Ty Brewer of SE Louisiana. They've entered the transfer portal. Two big losses for teams that did not qualify for the Southland tourney this year.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28167956/college-basketball-transfer-rankings-2020-21-2021-22
And that Peyton Ricks guy. I'm glad he is graduating. Lol
SFA Jack Fanatic
You've already got my juices flowing, Richie. November is sooo far away.
SFA Jack Fanatic
1) Wondering who we might lose from this year's roster, if anyone, other than the three seniors.

Hart perhaps? He's been in Keller's doghouse almost all season. He has athleticism, but can he be taught to play more under control and follow team rules? I watched the Duke game in its entirety the other night (out of boredom) and Hart played significant minutes and did a decent job, although he got stuffed by Duke's freshmen a couple of times. Forgivable mistakes.

McDaniel? He's been quiet on social media and not at games (that I know of) much of the season. He would provide us with another valuable PG, which we'll really need after next year. A year of growth behind Kachelries and Heckard would do wonders for him.

2) Our two incoming freshmen...

Not expecting a whole lot initially from Nana. He will be bounced and shoved around by bigger guys for a while, something he never saw in high school. He needs lots of time in the weight room and under the guidance of the nutrition team. He should be a spot reliever early on and get more playing time in January and February.

I am expecting a lot from Posey from the get-go. That young man is special. I would not be surprised if he's a starter by early December. A legitimate scoring threat inside and outside.

Thoughts, opinions, or insider information on any of this, anyone?
cboothe09
From what I hear about McDaniels, he was ready to redshirt if asked. Him and his dad were about picking a program and sticking with it. I think he comes back, and will be a very big contributor next year. By all accounts, he is a dog defensively and possibly the fastest player on the team. Has a good midrange shot to keep defenders honest.

I think we keep Hart too, but you never know. Brown is the one I'm afraid of losing with Kensmil playing like a champ and Daniel's coming back.
RichieVan
I think Brown is a key. Keller wanted to play Gavin and Charlie more at the 4 and 5, but he couldn't since he needed two players to handle the 5 because of potential foul trouble. Brown gives us a three man rotation at the 4 and 5 and allows us to compete better against physical teams.
SFASawmillGuy
No-look said:

Nicholls and ACU could be tough again. SFA should be loaded.

I hate that I have to keep saying this but no one in the SLC should be considered tough.
No-look
cboothe09 said:

From what I hear about McDaniels, he was ready to redshirt if asked. Him and his dad were about picking a program and sticking with it. I think he comes back, and will be a very big contributor next year. By all accounts, he is a dog defensively and possibly the fastest player on the team. Has a good midrange shot to keep defenders honest.

I think we keep Hart too, but you never know. Brown is the one I'm afraid of losing with Kensmil playing like a champ and Daniel's coming back.
Kharee tweeted that he will ready to suit up next year. I look for him to make an impact early.
SFA Jack Fanatic
RichieVan said:

I think Brown is a key. Keller wanted to play Gavin and Charlie more at the 4 and 5, but he couldn't since he needed two players to handle the 5 because of potential foul trouble. Brown gives us a three man rotation at the 4 and 5 and allows us to compete better against physical teams.

Brown was ready to be a part this year before he went down. I see no reason why he wouldn't stay.
SFASawmillGuy
I want to see Kachelries develop a bit more. He was good in the few minutes he got and really helped spark some life into our offense and defense at times.
Rev007
I expect a couple of players to leave the team, but Kharee is not one of them. He consistently appeared at home games in his street clothes on the end of the bench. It must have been difficult for a star player to be asked to redshirt. Thus, I applaud him.

My biggest concern for next year is: Where does our leadership come from? Additionally, who can consistently score 18-20 points a game?

Wouldn't be surprised if Kachelries and Hart leave the team. What's up with Oddyst? He didn't make that leap in improvement that many expected.

Is there a chance that Mitch comes back if we have players leaving? We need another big man, perhaps taller than Mitch.

Is 2020-2021 the last year of Coach Keller's contract? Getting an extension done early is crucial for recruiting and team stability.

2020-2021 Prediction: Solomon and Kharee will be special players on defense and will show leadership ability. Cam Johnson leads us in scoring.
Rev007
It's a good thing Coach Keller dismissed Cam Mack from our team a couple of years ago. Trouble is still following Mack at Nebraska. Two weeks ago, he was suspended indefinitely for leaving the scene of an auto accident. The article I read mentions several prior suspensions. Good call Keller!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007 said:

Is there a chance that Mitch comes back if we have players leaving?

Where did that thought come from, Rev?? Not a chance. And why would Kachelries leave? He played significant minutes this year.
CertifiedAxeman98
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Rev007 said:

Where did that thought come from, Rev?? Not a chance. And why would Kachelries leave? He played significant minutes this year.
I feel that Mitch was a little better as a freshman than Charlie was this year but Mitch had more upside. Once a player leaves they are gone they don't come back.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Rev007 said:

Agree. Mitch is gone. Kachelries is a senior. Remember he was at NJIT for a year before going Juco, so SFA is his third school. I don't see any way he leaves and sits a year.

Also, McDaniel wasn't asked to redshirt as much as he was offered the opportunity to redshirt. Off court issues were keeping him from playing. I like his attitude on the bench. I think he will be okay. But, I don't know. It's up to him.
wahlwesle
The only player I'm concerned with not coming back is Hart. I've been thinking about it all season. While I want him to stay, if he left it would open the door for someone else...like Shamir Bogues.
SFAJack_76
wahlwesle said:

The only player I'm concerned with not coming back is Hart. I've been thinking about it all season. While I want him to stay, if he left it would open the door for someone else...like Shamir Bogues.
The absolute best situation for Hart is to stay. Too many members of his family have made poor life decisions. Hopefully he breaks that trend.

Shamir is intriguing. By all accounts a really good player. Only other offers are the train wreck at UIW and A&M Commerce. What is there we don't know?
Rev007
I'd take Bogues in a heartbeat over Hart.

I'm glad I spurred some discussion. I was beginning to think I'm writing comments to myself.

Regarding Mitch, I don't know the details of the how and why he left the team. He was definitely an incomplete player offensively. Since he has two years of eligibility left, he can't play another year at Juco, right? Where does he go?

I'd prefer a much bigger post player than Mitch, but he always intrigued me with his high flying ability. I noticed a few times this year in the box score for his JUCO team that he was taking and making a few three pointers. This astonished me as he never demonstrated an outside shot while at SFA.
Rev007
Regarding Kalcheries, he has a nice outside shot, but he was a defensive liability at the end of the season. It looked like opposition guards were ready, willing, and able to drive past Kalcheries. I watch players' facial expressions and other body language during games. Several times, Kalcheries looked as if he were about to pout. I think Kharee, Deckard, Posey, and Roti will take the majority of the minutes at the guard position. Kalcheries might not be a happy camper. I hope I'm wrong.
wahlwesle
If I remember correctly, Mitch has already committed to Prairie View A&M.
Rev007
Mitch or Jock?
wahlwesle
Rev007 said:

Mitch or Jock?
Both
SFA Jack Fanatic
wahlwesle said:

If I remember correctly, Mitch has already committed to Prairie View A&M.

That was Jock Hughes. He sat this year.
No-look
Rev007 said:

Regarding Kalcheries, he has a nice outside shot, but he was a defensive liability at the end of the season. It looked like opposition guards were ready, willing, and able to drive past Kalcheries. I watch players' facial expressions and other body language during games. Several times, Kalcheries looked as if he were about to pout. I think Kharee, Deckard, Posey, and Roti will take the majority of the minutes at the guard position. Kalcheries might not be a happy camper. I hope I'm wrong.
Would hate to loose Kalcheries. He gave solid minutes this year. Plus's out weigh any negatives. To me his defense got better at end of season. I look for at least one defection but don't have a clue who. Wish they would all stay and progress and be an asset.
SFAJack_76
wahlwesle said:

Rev007 said:

Mitch or Jock?
Both
This is correct. Jock finished his redshirt year. Mitch committed a few weeks ago. Don't know if he signed. No, he can't spend another year at Juco.
SFAJack_76
Found it. He used a new twitter account.
nacluth
Well I though Charlie was way better than Mitch on both ends of the ball. Maybe Mitch had more upside, but for someone to essentially be our third big, Charlie handled his business. I'm glad we have the combo of Kensmil, Solomon, and Charlie. Those three alone have already won us half of next year's Southland games.

Agree that David's body language isn't that great, but I don't see him abandoning ship in his last year on a winning team. Hart does seem like the biggest possibility for transferring, but he seemed to buy in more down the stretch. He definitely didn't have a bad on-court attitude. In terms of performance, Oddyst is the first player asked to leave, but I doubt they will. He has been inconsequential in two seasons.

Looking forward to next year. Heckard looks like a breakout star. Posey will be solid in relief. Nana seems like the gamble, but with our current big rotation (especially with Brown) then I think he'll have time to develop.
BigJack85
I don't see Kalcheries leaving either. That would be his 4th stop. This has been BY FAR his most successful. If we lose anyone it would be Hart. I think it (Hart leaving) would be a mistake and the young man certainly has people around him saying the same thing. The returning cast is likely to be the best front court in recent Lumberjack history. If we play with the same level of defense and limit our turnovers we'll be another 25+ win squad.
MasterAxe
My starters:

PG: Roti (really liked him on the ball)
SG:
SF: Cam
PF: Gavin
C: Charlie

Now, the easy plug is Kachalries to PG and Roti to SG.

Calvin could be a starter, too.
SFASawmillGuy
I could see David being the starting PG if they really work with him this offseason and Roti being our SG. Really our team is gonna be stacked, it's just gonna be a matter of rebuilding our bench.
No-look
Our depth should be very good again. Hoping everyone stays healthy. Should be another great year!
Ballwatch
I agree on Roti, he sure is smooth on the court and consider him to be my breakout player for next season. Hope he can provide solid D with major output on O.
RichieVan
If you plug Kachalries into the starting PG spot, the entire starting 5 would be seniors.
No-look
Gonna be hard to keep Posey off the floor. He has the " it " factor. Can create. There is always a learning curve from high school to D1 but he already possesses the tools to do so. I'm already higher on him than any other recruits in the past. But who knows. TBD.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.