2021-2022 Lumberjack Basketball

158,664 Views | 1098 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Speaking of next basketball season, any updates on the coaching search?
No-look
Roti!!!
SFAJack_76
cboothe09
New starting lineup...Only starter I'm not sold on is Nigel. I think he can bring it and be a valuable starter, but I also think he can be a helluva spark off the bench...

G - David Kachelries
G - Roti Ware
G - Nigel Hawkins
F - Calvin Solomon
F - Gavin Kensmil

Bench:
Jonathan Aku
Jaylin Posey
Nana Antwi-Boasiako
Latrell Jossell
DeeDee Hall
Derrick Tezeno
Jules Moor
No-look
cboothe09 said:

New starting lineup...Only starter I'm not sold on is Nigel. I think he can bring it and be a valuable starter, but I also think he can be a helluva spark off the bench...

G - David Kachelries
G - Roti Ware
G - Nigel Hawkins
F - Calvin Solomon
F - Gavin Kensmil

Bench:
Jonathan Aku
Jaylin Posey
Nana Antwi-Boasiako
Latrell Jossell
DeeDee Hall
Derrick Tezeno
Jules Moor
Nigel improved greatly second half of the season. He will continue to improve. This team looks DEEP!
cboothe09
Absolutely. I see him as that guy that comes in two or three minutes in and lights it up. Gets 25-28 minutes a game, and is 100% on the floor during crunch time...
No-look
cboothe09 said:

Absolutely. I see him as that guy that comes in two or three minutes in and lights it up. Gets 25-28 minutes a game, and is 100% on the floor during crunch time...
Right. And looking at that bench it's gonna be hard to keep those guys off the floor.
cboothe09
Now someone refresh my memory. This season was a covid season, so basically a redshirt for everyone correct? If so, not only are we deep, but we are YOUNG...
BigJack85
No-look said:

cboothe09 said:

G - David Kachelries
G - Roti Ware
G - Nigel Hawkins
F - Calvin Solomon
F - Gavin Kensmil

Bench:
Jonathan Aku
Jaylin Posey
Nana Antwi-Boasiako
Latrell Jossell
DeeDee Hall
Derrick Tezeno
Jules Moor
Nigel improved greatly second half of the season. He will continue to improve. This team looks DEEP!

I think one of the new recruits breaks through and starts toward mid season. I'm thinking Jules Moor, JUCO product, looks adaptable.
PurpleOut
Staff
If Jaylin is everything we think he is, he may grab that last spot instead of Nigel. I like both options as a 6th man.

Honestly a lot of 6th man options. Jossell, Aku, Tezeno...really all of them are very talented.
wahlwesle
I think this says a lot about how our team was/is a true team. If players were unhappy and everyone didn't fit, they wouldn't be coming back.
nacluth
I've been staying pretty quiet through all the uncertainty, but having 4 starters back is huge! Nana and Nigel being in system are going to be our front line to keep any drop off from last season. Hopefully Posey will be quick to catch up to full play speed.

Looks like a plethora of riches. Hope we get some early season tournament to shock some decent competition.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

If Jaylin is everything we think he is, he may grab that last spot instead of Nigel. I like both options as a 6th man.

Honestly a lot of 6th man options. Jossell, Aku, Tezeno...really all of them are very talented.
You could almost run a first & second line like the Ladyjacks do with all these guys.
No-look
I'm bad about over hyping freshmen at times but Tezeno could be a big factor as a freshman. He's got some things that most freshman don't have. Scoring machine, can create, 40" vertical and loves to play defense...D1 is definitely different than high school but he may have the tools to adapt quickly.
SFA Jack Fanatic
My two cents... I think Tezeno will be starting by the time that conference play rolls around. He's a tremendous talent, but raw at this level of competition. The speed of the game will take some getting use to.

As to the initial starting lineup, I'll just take a wait and see on that. Too many talented guys on this team for me to make that prediction... A great problem to have!

Are the Jacks able to take a trip across the pond this Fall? I know that schools can only do that every few years. That was a tremendous bonding trip to Spain the last time. I think it helped propell them to a great season.
Pilotgirl
Yes, Nigel improved but hoping someone else can be part of that starting 5...Prove me wrong, Nigel!
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

My two cents... I think Tezeno will be starting by the time that conference play rolls around. He's a tremendous talent, but raw at this level of competition. The speed of the game will take some getting use to.

As to the initial starting lineup, I'll just take a wait and see on that. Too many talented guys on this team for me to make that prediction... A great problem to have!

Are the Jacks able to take a trip across the pond this Fall? I know that schools can only do that every few years. That was a tremendous bonding trip to Spain the last time. I think it helped propell them to a great season.
I believe that Tezeno is a legitimate talent. The difference between 1A high school and D1 college is huge. The speed of the game, and the defense expectations will be tough for him to master enough to be a freshman starter. If he makes that leap, with this roster, he may be the best high schooler we have ever signed.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

Yes, Nigel improved but hoping someone else can be part of that starting 5...Prove me wrong, Nigel!

Nigel, I thought. showed more hustle than anyone else on the team last season. If you watched him closely, he was tenacious on defense. His shooting started off poorly but really improved as the season went on. Like you, Pilot, I think he'd be better as a 6th man providing a spark off the bench.

To me, the unknowns on this team right now are Hall, Jossell, and Moor.
nacluth
Nigel definitely improved. He went from awful at the beginning to erratic to passable. He may have been frenetic but I didn't see that as showing the most hustle. He was tenacious though and I thought showed potential. If he can move beyond passable to a plus guard this season, I will be thrilled.
No-look
nacluth said:

Nigel definitely improved. He went from awful at the beginning to erratic to passable. He may have been frenetic but I didn't see that as showing the most hustle. He was tenacious though and I thought showed potential. If he can move beyond passable to a plus guard this season, I will be thrilled.
There you go again with logic and common sense...We're on the hype train at this point. Lol
nacluth
Well then hit me with some more of your high school recruit knowledge.
cboothe09
Jossell is a shooter. Pretty stroke.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Our guards also tend to make the biggest jump between their junior &senior seasons. Plus, last off-season was a mess across college sports.
No-look
nacluth said:

I know things. Just not at liberty to share. Lol
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

nacluth said:

I know things. Just not at liberty to share. Lol

His alter ego must be No-share.
PurpleOut
Staff
Came across a potential WAC schedule:

TallTexan
Sam, ACU, NMSU is one hell of a 3 game stretch.
cboothe09
Sooooo...We have road trips to Cal Baptist, Seattle, and Chicago State?

Unlike the Southland, the WAC had some foresight on this scheduling. Cal Baptist and Seattle are part of a road trip together. After going to Chicago State, we have a bye, followed by a game against Chicago State in Nacogdoches...Common sense...I like it
PurpleOut
Staff
It looks like we wouldn't travel to Grand Canyon. Sucks from a fan perspective because I was planning on making that trip. BUT, it's a better schedule for us. They'll be a favorite that we only have to play once, and at home. And instead play Chicago State twice. Doesn't help for our ranking numbers, but still.
SFA Jack Fanatic
What's the origin of this proposed schedule?
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

From the first of the WAC Spring Meetings.

Detailed in this article that I posted on the WAC thread. https://andywittry.substack.com/p/could-the-wac-which-officially-adds
SFASawmillGuy
I'm not sure I like having NMSU on the road right before the conference tournament...we usually carry a lot of momentum into the dance, and that's possibly a game between the two best teams in the conference. Maybe a conference title preview.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

From the first of the WAC Spring Meetings.

Detailed in this article that I posted on the WAC thread. https://andywittry.substack.com/p/could-the-wac-which-officially-adds

Excellent article! Lots of informational tidbits buried in there. It also provides insight into all of the AD communications that have been zapping around the WAC since the expansion was announced.

The WAC is definitely in a whac-a-mole situation right now..
purpleballs
Maybe we can live up to PressU with some depth.
No-look
TallTexan said:

Sam, ACU, NMSU is one hell of a 3 game stretch.
doesn't look good for Sam, ACU and NMSU. Right?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.