2021-2022 Lumberjack Basketball

157,877 Views | 1098 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
jflandis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

Jules Moor off the roster.
I was wondering why he wasn't at the Cancun Challenge.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

Wonder what that was all about??
Death, taxes, missed free throws, in season attrition.

Not sure we can avoid the first two in life, but the last two would seem to be fixable.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
corleycl
Not in panic mode yet, but I'm very concerned about our Jacks being able to hang in conference play after the pre-season games I've seen so far. We should be blowing people out and we're barely getting by in some circumstances.
SFAXE93
ATTENDANCE WRJ

LSU-A (1,442)
MARY HARDIN-BAYLOR (1,537)
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (1,878)
MIDDLE TENN (1,901)

It is going up
nacluth
That's good. Lincoln and Wiley may have a tough time getting full draw.
PurpleOut
Staff
Side note that I'll leave here. As I watched Texas host Sam Houston in their old Gregory Gym last night, a game that Coach Beard put together as a student only game. It made me think, what if we did a student only game at Shelton?

We played there back in 2015 or whatever, so it works. But I believe it was only during the Christmas break.

We know how loud Shelton can be for Volleyball, what if we tried really hard to get a full Shelton for an early season basketball game?

TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Side note that I'll leave here. As I watched Texas host Sam Houston in their old Gregory Gym last night, a game that Coach Beard put together as a student only game. It made me think, what if we did a student only game at Shelton?

We played there back in 2015 or whatever, so it works. But I believe it was only during the Christmas break.

We know how loud Shelton can be for Volleyball, what if we tried really hard to get a full Shelton for an early season basketball game?

Absolutely fantastic idea.

A student only game would really set the tone well for the season.
PurpleOut
Staff
Yep. All of our ideas of course are always easier said than done, but I think you coincide this with the pre-season student party in the Coliseum with the coaches that we talked about...and then look for a very early game in Shelton. I would be all for it.
SFAJack_76
HJC69 said:

I would have taken Charlie Daniels over Aku any day. He got much better last year.
Watched Minnesota beat Pittsburgh by one. Daniels played nine minutes. Two points, zero rebounds, four fouls. Averaging about 11 minutes a game.
MasterAxe
Did some data diving, because I have too much time on my hands.

According to KenPom, we have greatly increased our Strength of Schedule the last few years.

(This is a major assumption I am reading his data correctly...which is...A LOT)

2019 - 301
2020 - 338
2021 - 329
2022 - 164

That is a terrific indicator of how we are being perceived by bigger teams. That they are willing to play us because it's a legitimate win on their schedule and it's a great indicator that the move to a better conference ups our resume.

nacluth
People may not recognize it because we only have Kansas as a "big name" school on our schedule, but this nonconference is the best slate we've had in a long time.
SFAXE93
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (7-2)
MIDDLE TENNESSEE (6-1)
BUFFALO (4-2)
SAINT LOUIS (7-1)
LIBERTY (3-3)
LOUISIANA-MONROE (2-4) Always gives us fits, 3-3 in the last 6 games
#8 KANSAS (5-1)
SFAJack_76
MasterAxe said:

Did some data diving, because I have too much time on my hands.

According to KenPom, we have greatly increased our Strength of Schedule the last few years.

(This is a major assumption I am reading his data correctly...which is...A LOT)

2019 - 301
2020 - 338
2021 - 329
2022 - 164

That is a terrific indicator of how we are being perceived by bigger teams. That they are willing to play us because it's a legitimate win on their schedule and it's a great indicator that the move to a better conference ups our resume.

Keller has mentioned a few times that our super seniors wanted a tough schedule. He and his staff delivered.
jflandis
I've been surprised by how much we have missed Cameron's ability to attack the basket and his scoring. I was confident that we had more than enough talent to replace his skill set and make up for his points. That may come as the season progresses but so far I think that has been a big difference from last year to this year.
nacluth
I will say we don't have the guy that can attack one on one like Kevon used to. I was hoping Posey would be that guy, but he isn't quite there yet.
LUMBERJACK2005
nacluth said:

That makes SFA 0/2 on recruits from Pearland Dawson HS, Karl Nicholas and now Jules Moor.
CertifiedAxeman98
South Dakota State and Middle Tennessee games should have had twice the attendance.

Anyone know why we can't get students to the games? Purple haze had a Twitter post about the new student section with only 3 people in the pic?

I have 4 season tickets and live in the Houston area. I drove 3 hours each way for those 2 games and it was disappointing to not have students packed in for those big home games.

I give my tickets away to locals for the games I am not at so my seats stay filled most games.

SFA travels well but it's mostly alumni.
PurpleOut
Staff
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

South Dakota State and Middle Tennessee games should have had twice the attendance.

Anyone know why we can't get students to the games? Purple haze had a Twitter post about the new student section with only 3 people in the pic?

I have 4 season tickets and live in the Houston area. I drove 3 hours each way for those 2 games and it was disappointing to not have students packed in for those big home games.

I give my tickets away to locals for the games I am not at so my seats stay filled most games.

SFA travels well but it's mostly alumni.
Yeah it's the question we all wish we had an answer to.

Local/alumni attendance hasn't been the greatest, but compared to the student section...no idea. When I was a student we had a decent size group that traveled anywhere that was in driving distance.

We have very few kids that actually care these days.
CertifiedAxeman98
If you haven't listened to the wac hoops digest pod cast here is the latest episode talking Lamar. Apparently in the past Lamar professors gave extra credit if you want to games.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/straight-outta-wac/id1486467314?i=1000543757408
Texasheli
When I working on my Physic degree at SFA. Dr. Downing would at times offer an extra 5 points on homework due on the day after the Lady Jacks played if we attended the Lady's game. You had to find him at the game for the bonus.
nacluth
nacluth
St. Louis was our one Q2 game so far. Kansas will be our only Q1 game.
PurpleOut
Staff
1. Official Alumni Association pregame party at Taco Heads this Saturday at 3:00. Right across from the arena, so super easy.

2. Have we heard anything about Jaylin? Always concerned when you see someone in a boot.
No-look
PurpleOut said:

1. Official Alumni Association pregame party at Taco Heads this Saturday at 3:00. Right across from the arena, so super easy.

2. Have we heard anything about Jaylin? Always concerned when you see someone in a boot.
one of life's great mysteries
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

PurpleOut said:

one of life's great mysteries
Suspect we will know about the same time Liberty does.
SFAJack_76
Ugh …
PurpleOut
Staff
That's tough, because it was in the UTRGV party. Definitely puts our game in jeopardy.
nacluth
Since we've reached the break between nonconference and conference play, here's a little breakdown of who's ahead of us in the WAC.

New Mexico St. (8-2) NET - 67; KenPom - 100
Good wins - Davidson (44), Washington St. (50)
Bad loss - New Mexico (176)

Grand Canyon (8-2) NET - 68; KenPom - 119
Good win - San Francisco (33)
Bad loss - Arizona St. (129)

Abilene Christian (4-2) NET - 96; KenPom - 139
Good win - none but top win Drexel (197)
Bad loss - none but worst loss Utah (75)

SFA (4-4) NET - 146; KenPom - 140
Good win - Buffalo (97)
Bad loss - ULM (189)

Close WAC Contenders - Tarleton St. (172); Cal Baptist (182); Seattle (206)
*no top 100 wins for those teams
No-look
When we start thumping those guys ours will look better.
SFASawmillGuy
C-USA is just sitting there waiting for their new member to do something of note.
djsfw57
SFA_03 said:

C-USA is just sitting there waiting for their new member to do something of note.
That's good for a chuckle. Or more.
SFA, Class of 1979
sfa17
nacluth said:

Since we've reached the break between nonconference and conference play, here's a little breakdown of who's ahead of us in the WAC.

New Mexico St. (8-2) NET - 67; KenPom - 100
Good wins - Davidson (44), Washington St. (50)
Bad loss - New Mexico (176)

Grand Canyon (8-2) NET - 68; KenPom - 119
Good win - San Francisco (33)
Bad loss - Arizona St. (129)

Abilene Christian (4-2) NET - 96; KenPom - 139
Good win - none but top win Drexel (197)
Bad loss - none but worst loss Utah (75)

SFA (4-4) NET - 146; KenPom - 140
Good win - Buffalo (97)
Bad loss - ULM (189)

Close WAC Contenders - Tarleton St. (172); Cal Baptist (182); Seattle (206)
*no top 100 wins for those teams
u forgot Utah Valley
NET 68 Kenpom 137

Win over BYU(22)
nacluth
Yep. Thanks. That's what I get for writing sports stuff at work.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.