2021-2022 Lumberjack Basketball

157,834 Views | 1098 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
Jacks4460
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jboy93 said:

Jeremy Cox?!?!

Now that would be a good hire..
jboy93
I know money talks but Tulsa?? Really?
MasterAxe
Who's the Colby Carthel of college hoops?

A D2 guy crushing it with a massive Type-A personality.
MasterAxe
Guy guys guys.

Relax.

Three words to cure all:

Danny. Kaspar. Returns.
TallTexan
If Keller leaves, I will miss that dude. Great recruiter, good head coach, fantastic dude.

I'm happy if we land Mason or Cox. Personally, I'd lean Cox with all that JUCO HC experience. He's one of the best big man coaches in the country and I think someone is gonna look like a genius hiring him as a D1 HC.

Mason is a fantastic recruiter, great guard coach too. Would be awesome if we could get Cox with Mason as assistant HC, but I imagine Keller would hire one of them.

I speculate that SFA will have plenty of candidates in our price range with our new facilities though. Just please, no Dannyball.
SFASawmillGuy
MasterAxe said:

Guy guys guys.

Relax.

Three words to cure all:

Danny. Kaspar. Returns.

Ooof. I'm not ready for SFA's upward spiral in athletics to end because of a monstrously controversial hire.
wahlwesle
MasterAxe said:

Granted, I know nothing about hiring a D1 head basketball coach and this was just from Googling. Ben McCollum has won D2 coach of the year 4 of the last 5 seasons, not to mention the tournament runs and national titles.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/platform/amp/2021/5/20/22408100/ben-mccollum-rumor-northwest-missouri-state-coach-ncaa-tournament-candidate-division-i-basketball
BigJack85
Stop it , NOW!
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy said:

MasterAxe said:

Guy guys guys.

Relax.

Three words to cure all:

Danny. Kaspar. Returns.

Ooof. I'm not ready for SFA's upward spiral in athletics to end because of a monstrously controversial hire.
I'd rather get a Sam Houston face tat than watch another second of Dannyball.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

The college hoops equivalent is probably more in the Keller, Cox, Underwood, type of hire. High level assistant with some JUCO experience who has a Carthel personality.
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

MasterAxe said:

Guy guys guys.

Relax.

Three words to cure all:

Danny. Kaspar. Returns.

I'd rather get a Sam Houston face tat than watch another second of Dannyball.
That's just about the strongest statement I've heard. Wish I had thought of it. LOL
wahlwesle
How about Alvin Brooks III? He's got the resume, and it would give him a chance to play against his father at Lamar.
TallTexan
wahlwesle said:

How about Alvin Brooks III? He's got the resume, and it would give him a chance to play against his father at Lamar.
Honestly, I think SFA can probably do better in terms of experience. Seems like a good coach though. Another option in that vein would be bring Ulric Maligi back to Texas.

FWIW, Baylor fans tell me the guy you want is Tang. They say it's similar to the Chris Beard/Mark Adams situation.
PurpleOut
Staff
I think Tang would be hard to get. He can get a bigger job and don't think we could pay him enough.

Eric Pastrana is another name I would add to the list.

And Tom Brown at West Texas A&M may deserve a look. He has a 80% win percentage and has taken WTAMU deep into the DII tourney almost every year.

We could also consider Jasick internally, since he has a lot of HC experience. But that wouldn't be high on my list.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

I think Tang would be hard to get. He can get a bigger job and don't think we could pay him enough.

Eric Pastrana is another name I would add to the list.

And Tom Brown at West Texas A&M may deserve a look. He has a 80% win percentage and has taken WTAMU deep into the DII tourney almost every year.
Ya I've heard Tang mentioned for much bigger jobs. I was surprised to learn that he came straight from the HS ranks to Baylor, 17 or 18 years ago. Wonder if some big time ADs will view that negatively.

Definitely some good names like Pastrana out there. (Not really an SFA observation, but I do wonder where Frank Martin lands).

And it may still be Keller. Hard to get a deal done during a tourney and TU may not wait to make a decision.
PurpleOut
Staff
There are a lot of high profile names out there that need jobs, but again I don't think we could pay them.

Cox I think would be my first choice. Kellen Sampson is another name if we're looking at assistants.

We'll see how it plays out, this isn't the first time we've had rumors of Keller getting looked at.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

There are a lot of high profile names out there that need jobs, but again I don't think we could pay them.

Cox I think would be my first choice. Kellen Sampson is another name if we're looking at assistants.

We'll see how it plays out, this isn't the first time we've had rumors of Keller getting looked at.
I think Cox is the best dude for the money. That'd be my bet. Would probably be my bet if we had 2x the money for salary. I just have a great feeling about him. I wonder what style he prefers.

With White at Florida getting canned(Pastrana's HC) and Mason looking for a job, could be an opportunity to bring one of those guys back too.

Kellen would be interesting to bring back too. Would be a bigger name hire for sure and Houston is a stout team that he and his Dad have built.
TallTexan
One thing that's interesting to me having looked through about a dozen coaching staff's last night of teams I like is how well Keller hires.

Brought in assistants with significant P5 experience, several with 20+ years and even NBA experience in some cases.

St Mary's, Houston, Illinois, & so many more have guys that played for the school or have 5-10 years of mid major experience or jumped from a DBO job to assistant.

Just an interesting observation.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Kellen would be interesting to bring back too. Would be a bigger name hire for sure and Houston is a stout team that he and his Dad have built.
You can forget about Sampson. It is an open secret that he will take over at UH when his dad retires.
sfa17

Frank Martin also in mix for Tulsa
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

For some reason, I feel like Keller is going to stay. Just a "hunch". If , if he returns there should be plenty of upside. A couple of good transfers at the 3-4 spots should put us back in the mix.
MasterAxe
Chris Janz to MSST.

Beginning of wac couching carousel or outlier move?

Next week or so will be interesting
BigJack85
MasterAxe said:

Chris Janz to MSST.

I don't think it goes much deeper than Jans and Keller. Brette Tanner needs to prove it for another year. Hooten? Matt Figger? Neither of these two sound like candidates at any notable program. If we lose Keller I'd consider Austin Claunch at Nicholls State.
BigJack85
Have the coaches at the western schools (SU, CBU, GCU, Dixie, UVU, SUU) been mentioned for any openings? Chris Victor , , it seems a little early for him to get a bigger job.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

MasterAxe said:

Chris Janz to MSST.

I don't think it goes much deeper than Jans and Keller. Brette Tanner needs to prove it for another year. Hooten? Matt Figger? Neither of these two sound like candidates at any notable program. If we lose Keller I'd consider Austin Claunch at Nicholls State.

I wouldn't dismiss Figger. Recall the Ivey/Austin Peay connection.
Rev007
Is Keller a great coach, good coach, average coach, or run of the mill coach?

One of my posts during the last game really upset someone. The poster replied asking if I blamed Keller for the loss to North Carolina - Asheville. I certainly do not blame Coach Keller totally for the loss. In fact, I like him very much, but like anyone else in life, he has his positives and negatives. The following will be my take on the good and not so good abilities of Coach Keller. I hope that it stirs up a healthy and respectful debate since we now have very little to discuss

Positives: Coach Keller plays a system that really masks the deficiencies of his team. It requires multiple passes and screens that put a player such as Kensmil in a position to get a high percentage shot. This was evident in the games against Duke and Kansas. I also believe it's an attribute of Coach Keller that he is willing to cut or let go certain players who don't buy into his system or who have an undisciplined lifestyle.

Negatives: Not having his team ready to play from the opening tip-off. We had pretty good talent this year, but so many times, we found ourselves in a deficit, even against a sub-par team like Lamar (first game). I also think that Coach Keller and others recruited and signed players that were not leaders. This year's team desperately lacked leadership, a player or players you could count on to always play hard and rally the troops. In my mind, I envision a John Comeaux taking a charge or dunking at 5'10", a Nathan Bain making a layup with no time left, a Parker stealing an inbounds pass and dunking for the win, or Walkup making a three and sticking out that tongue. Those guys were leaders. Every good team needs them.

Another deficiency is having an undisciplined team which seems ironic considering the team plays a structured offensive style. Just take a look at the turnover ratio. We were once a feared, get in your face, man-to-man defense. That requires enormous effort by the players including the discipline not to foul. We failed miserably this year. Not only that, we committed senseless fouls, and when we were fouled, we couldn't make our free throws.

Bottom line, the basketball team was wildly inconsistent and appeared unmotivated at times. Whose fault is that?

Final Assessment: Like most coaches, Coach Keller's success is dependent on the skill of his players, but he is also responsible for getting the most out of them and keeping them motivated. He is above average, but not at the level of Brad Underwood.
nacluth
Keller at SFA: 126-55 (78-29 conference)
2 Regular season championships
1 conference tournament championship*
1 CIT appearance*
1 NCAA appearance*
1 CBI appearance

*Technically his first three years of wins have all been vacated. (Who really cares when you see the actual records everywhere?). His "official" record is 66-55 with 2 season champs and one CBI first round exit.

nacluth
Lumberjacks in the last decade:
4 NCAA appearances - x2 round of 32.
4 SLC Tournament Champs
5 SLC Regular Season Crowns
1 WAC Regular Season Crown

Conference champs by coach: (Kaspar 1, Underwood 3, Keller 2)
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Keller at SFA: 126-55 (78-29 conference)
2 Regular season championships
1 conference tournament championship*
1 CIT appearance*
1 NCAA appearance*
1 CBI appearance

*Technically his first three years of wins have all been vacated. (Who really cares when you see the actual records everywhere?). His "official" record is 66-55 with 2 season champs and one CBI first round exit.

Agree. Keller has zero responsibility for the APR debacle. 126-55 is worthy. He has had a few games we shouldn't have lost. He's also won a chunk of Top Tier wins that make him a cut above average. Probably closer to the top 25% of coaches. Let's not forget he IS the final word on vast majority of these recruits. He's made some mistakes but also grabbed a bunch of winners. If we keep him, I suspect we will have the elements for another title run by December. If he's gone to Tulsa I wouldn't be shocked to see him check in with Matt Figger.
nacluth
Matt Figger is 84-74 in five years of coaching. Sure 23 of those losses came from taking over the UTRGV transition team, but he's got to be a hard sell even if his assistant coaching resume looks a lot like Underwood. I would think that if he left Austin Peay for the Vaqueros, he is probably not on the short term flip to the conference co-champ.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Matt Figger is 84-74 in five years of coaching. Sure 23 of those losses came from taking over the UTRGV transition team, but he's got to be a hard sell even if his assistant coaching resume looks a lot like Underwood. I would think that if he left Austin Peay for the Vaqueros, he is probably not on the short term flip to the conference co-champ.

I'd be pretty dang disappointed if Figger was the choice.

Heck I'd be disappointed if he was in he Top 10. The record just isn't there to support it.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Heck I'd be disappointed if he was in he Top 10. The record just isn't there to support it.

Ivey hired him once. He was successful there. I'll leave it at that because I know you will get in the last word anyway.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Ivey hired him once. He was successful there. I'll leave it at that because I know you will get in the last word anyway.

If we need a new coach , I would think that style of play etc will be a key to who we hire.
MasterAxe
We want a coach (Keller or other) that does the following:

(1) Recruits well
(2) Coaches up the talent he has/makes them better
(3) Plays an entertaining style
(4) Is prepared/motivates player
(5) Makes in-game adjustments

Folks, as wild as this seems, the answer is in the building already.

Mark Kellogg.

I realize there is a ZERO percent chance of this happening, but the Ladyjacks play in infinitely more entertaining style of basketball than the men.
SFA Jack Fanatic
MasterAxe said:

We want a coach (Keller or other) that does the following:

(1) Recruits well
(2) Coaches up the talent he has/makes them better
(3) Plays an entertaining style
(4) Is prepared/motivates player
(5) Makes in-game adjustments

Folks, as wild as this seems, the answer is in the building already.

Mark Kellogg.

I realize there is a ZERO percent chance of this happening, but the Ladyjacks play in infinitely more entertaining style of basketball than the men.
Wow. That one sure came out of right field. But... Makes a lot of sense. As you say, won't happen though.

As for me, Jeremy Cox would be my choice, if he'd be interested and the $$ was right. He'd be a known quantity with lots of connections across Texas and the South.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.