2021-2022 Lumberjack Basketball

155,632 Views | 1098 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

Was not expecting to lose both of our ready made Keller replacements in the same year though.
Helps to prepare them to be next up when Keller gets the big job.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Was not expecting to lose both of our ready made Keller replacements in the same year though.
Helps to prepare them to be next up when Keller gets the big job.

This is true.

Probably gives them a better chance tbh.

But dang this was a gut punch losing Coach Mason to Georgia.
Rev007
Is it a given that Coach Keller is NOT leaving? Whenever you see an exodus of staff, it usually means they have the inside information. I hope I'm wrong.
SFAXE93
If that is the case, they failed to tell the players, because many of them came back, and the new recruits stayed committed.

Jacks4460
SFAXE93 said:

If that is the case, they failed to tell the players, because many of them came back, and the new recruits stayed committed.

Mason was big on the Tezeno recruting too... If these kids can bounce around why cant the coaches..Ivey will not let us down no matter what happens...
Jacks4460
I can also guarantee Coach Keller is staying put until his contract is up.. He aint going anywhere this year..
SFAXE93
Sure anybody can go where they want, got to do what you've got to do.

I'm just saying players usually bolt if there is a coaching change.
PurpleOut
Staff
cboothe09 said:

So we have lost Associate HC (UTEP), Assistant Coach (Georgia), Video Coordinator (Tyler Legacy), and Head Trainer (IMG Academy)...

That is a testament to not only our success, but the respect our program has at all levels...
Chris Keith as well, our Director of Basketball Operations.
SFAXE93
Keller and Vanya only ones left.

It will be interesting to see who will be a part of the new coaching staff.
nacluth
SFASawmillGuy
I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any way Keller stays if we have a good season this year. A tournament bid, win or lose, has him signing a contract the next day like Brad did.
I think Ryan is smart enough to see that too, and really hope he's actively looking for the next SFA basketball staff.

I will point out if and when this happens, we shouldn't hold any ill will towards Kyle like many did towards Brad. Good mid major coaches don't stay mid major coaches long. It's nothing personal, it's career growth.
SFASawmillGuy
Kyle stays this year, but David, Roti, and Gavin are his Walkup, Pikney, and Meech. Once they're gone, so is Kyle.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

cboothe09 said:

So we have lost Associate HC (UTEP), Assistant Coach (Georgia), Video Coordinator (Tyler Legacy), and Head Trainer (IMG Academy)...

That is a testament to not only our success, but the respect our program has at all levels...
Chris Keith as well, our Director of Basketball Operations.
Did we ever figure out what he's doing. Going into business right?
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any way Keller stays if we have a good season this year. A tournament bid, win or lose, has him signing a contract the next day like Brad did.
I think Ryan is smart enough to see that too, and really hope he's actively looking for the next SFA basketball staff.

I will point out if and when this happens, we shouldn't hold any ill will towards Kyle like many did towards Brad. Good mid major coaches don't stay mid major coaches long. It's nothing personal, it's career growth.
You get me one of either Mason or Cox & you'll hear no complaints from me.

I just hope Keller wins enough to get a P5 job.
SFASawmillGuy
I'm just waiting on someone to break the news of Keller to replace Coach K at Duke.
SFAXE93
Here are some assistants that are probably looking for that first head coaching job on the Division I level if Keller was to leave after this season.

KELLEN SAMPSON (HOUSTON)
ROSS HODGE (NORTH TEXAS)
BRETTE TANNER (ABILENE CHRISTIAN)
JAMES MILLER (NEW MEXICO STATE)
sfa17
Yeah the only way Keller doesn't leave after next season is if he dramatically underperforms. At least we won't be as shocked as when BU left
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

Here are some assistants that are probably looking for that first head coaching job on the Division I level if Keller was to leave after this season.

KELLEN SAMPSON (HOUSTON)
ROSS HODGE (NORTH TEXAS)
BRETTE TANNER (ABILENE CHRISTIAN)
JAMES MILLER (NEW MEXICO STATE)

Kellen Sampson has already been promised the UH head job when his dad retires.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA_03 said:

I'm just waiting on someone to break the news of Keller to replace Coach K at Duke.

Coach K's head assistant has already been written in as the next HC at Duke. Hand-picked by Coach K.
cboothe09
Something kept nagging at me that someone else was out...
cboothe09
Sampson is HC in waiting at UH
Tanner is HC at ACU

I'm interested to see what hires we make. I figure there will be no shortage of applicants.
No-look
cboothe09 said:

Tanner is HC at ACU

I'm interested to see what hires we make. I figure there will be no shortage of applicants.
Need to hire someone with some charisma that will be a magnet to the players. Recruiting is so vital to the program. I think that's where coach Mason excelled along with being a good coach.
Jacks4460
No-look said:

cboothe09 said:

Tanner is HC at ACU

Need to hire someone with some charisma that will be a magnet to the players. Recruiting is so vital to the program. I think that's where coach Mason excelled along with being a good coach.
Yes this.. Mason was a stud recruiter that could relate with some of the top talent.. Some of the top talent isnt always easy to deal with either.. Mason is a magnet to the players and had good street cred in the basketball industry..I am pretty sure he doubled his salary if not triple..
Jacks4460
Jai Lucas (Kentucky Asst.) John Lucas son and a ton of street cred on the different basketball circuits.. That is if Kyle just does really well and it is inevitable that he triple his salary.. I don't know maybe a few wealthier alumni will step up and do what they can to retain Keller as our MBB coach, if we are successful which I feel we will be.
TallTexan
Jai makes 220k. It'd be tough to get him away.

For that price we could just hire Hooten as AHC and kneecap Sam.
Jacks4460
We could afford 220K if Jai was our head coach next year.. I knew we couldnt pull an assistant from Kentucky and make him an assistant for our Lumberjacks.. We are just getting pencil whipped by the big boys right now.. We have many alumni that can step up and help us to stop getting pencil whipped but they just arent there yet I guess..
Rev007
Could it be that the move to the new conference caused those in charge to make a decision that we needed an upgrade at all levels of our staff? From what I've been told, the Assistant Coach that left for UTEP is really good at developing post players. Why would we let him go when Nana and Calvin are raw but have tremendous potential? If that Coach wanted to leave, that's another set of questions. Did we offer to match the salary increase or let the door hit him in the rear? UTEP is not an upgrade over SFA. Regarding Coach Mason, he is considered to be a gem of a recruiter. He got us Posey and Tezeno. If it were just about salary, wouldn't we match it? Same reasoning for the other staff members.

My conclusion, albeit extremely controversial, is that Coach Keller and Ivey wanted an upgrade for our new conference or Keller is sitting on the fence about staying or seeking greener pastures. If Keller were to leave before the season started, would our prized recruits remain? Would Gavin, Roti, and David remain? TBD
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007 said:

Could it be that the move to the new conference caused those in charge to make a decision that we needed an upgrade at all levels of our staff? From what I've been told, the Assistant Coach that left for UTEP is really good at developing post players. Why would we let him go when Nana and Calvin are raw but have tremendous potential? If that Coach wanted to leave, that's another set of questions. Did we offer to match the salary increase or let the door hit him in the rear? UTEP is not an upgrade over SFA. Regarding Coach Mason, he is considered to be a gem of a recruiter. He got us Posey and Tezeno. If it were just about salary, wouldn't we match it? Same reasoning for the other staff members.

My conclusion, albeit extremely controversial, is that Coach Keller and Ivey wanted an upgrade for our new conference or Keller is sitting on the fence about staying or seeking greener pastures. If Keller were to leave before the season started, would our prized recruits remain? Would Gavin, Roti, and David remain? TBD

With all due respect, that is a mighty depressing post, Rev. You just ruined my day
Rev007
Sorry SFA Jack Fanatic. It depresses me as well. I'm 100% behind our team and look forward to a great 2021-2022 season including a trip to Cancun. I hope I'm wrong about a possible exit by one of my all-time favorite SFA coaches.
Rev007
Maybe living out here in LA (land of fruits and nuts and mask Nazis) has corrupted my thinking.
nacluth
UTEP is an upgrade in many ways - mainly in assistant pay. Mason still has ambition and he's moving up. Keller has a lot of eggs in the basket for this year. It would be shocking if he left for a HC position at this point in the summer, so I don't think we have any worries about this year's (or last year's for that matter) seniors.

SFA athletics is taking a huge roll of the dice with the conference change. Is the WAC going to pay off with more revenue and exposure which will lead to better budgets downstream? Is that change coming in two to five years or is more like 10? How fast the WAC reorients the perception of the new additions is going to determine whether it's another Southland or not.

I don't foresee that it changes fast enough to keep Keller. It may help the next group of coaches. No donors are stepping up to match coaches from going to bigger schools, but maybe the WAC can help us draw another up and comer that will keep SFA on track.
Rev007
Glad to assist in getting this forum heated up. Here's another possibility:

Coach K = Coach K, and Coach K = Duke Basketball, the first part of the equation changes in 2022 to Coach K = retired, but Coach K still equals Duke Basketball.
Jacks4460
Rev I promise you Kyle isnt going anywhere this year...From what I have gotten is that all went on to better salaries $$.. I agree I dont think UTEP is an upgrade over us.. Coach Cox got a raise that doubled his salary..
Rev007
I wish we could lock Coach K in for the next 10 years. Glad to hear Assistant Coach Cox got a big increase in salary. I hope Coach Mason got a big increase. However, something is going on. We will find out in time.
SFA Jack Fanatic
What worries me is the possibility of some players leaving early (That dam*** transfer rule!) due to Mason's departure (Posey and Tezeno in particular). Here's hoping they committed to the university and to the MBB program and not to a specific coach. If the Jacks have a very good year coming up, which I'm almost certain they will, the chances of them staying long term will be much, much better. And the new performance center when finished won't hurt either.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.