2021-2022 Lumberjack Basketball

157,823 Views | 1098 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleOut said:

Just noticed the CBI is a 5 day tourney. Brutal to have to win 4 games in 4/5 days for these Mid-Major programs that just gave it all in conference tournaments.

I again understand why some would decline invites.

I'm 50/50 on whether these things are worth it. I imagine the team had some input? I would guess, that they wanted to give the seniors one more opportunity for a "tournament" win.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The first two rounds look to be very winnable. If we get Drake in the 3rd round, that one will be tough. They have been very good but streaky this year. And I'm not upset to see ACU in the other half of the draw.
wahlwesle
Is it true that we have to pay $50k to play?
SFASawmillGuy
Yes. The school had to pay a $50,000 entry fee.
No-look
Glad we're not closing the season out after that last outing. That last game is not who we are.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFASawmillGuy said:

Yes. The school had to pay a $50,000 entry fee.
I don't believe this is fully true.

The $50,000 was for previous years when the tournament was on campus sites. Last year for COVID it moved to Daytona for a smaller tournament, and this year is back to the full 16 teams and the first time it's been seeded 1-16.

There is an entry fee, but I don't think it's the same $50k that it used to be.

The Basketball Classic (formerly the CIT) is no longer a pay-for-play tournament, but the tournament gets all of the gate proceedings. But it does give more schools the opportunity to host.
SFAJack_76
CBI. No entry fee. Travel is our only cost.
PurpleOut
Staff
The final answer for the CBI is you pay for travel/lodging, and then pay $25,000 to the group that runs the tournament...OR, agree to play in a future event run by the same company.

So if we didn't pay the $25,000, that means we'll be playing in a different event, that I would assume would be next year that they put on. It's a company called the Gazelle Group, which puts on about half a dozen events.

https://www.gazellegroup.com/main/
nacluth
They run good small events mainly targeted for northeastern teams. I wouldn't mind getting in on one of those.
TallTexan
Interesting.

I have no complaints about that considering we're always looking for games. Maybe we'll get to play in the Duke showcase.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

They run good small events mainly targeted for northeastern teams. I wouldn't mind getting in on one of those.

Small events, as in small in number of participants or small in school size? Anyway, it appears that Ivey may be doing some longer-tern planning for the Jacks.

Edit: Never mind. I looked at the events they have planned for next season and there are some really strong hoops teams already committed.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Maybe we'll get to play in the Duke showcase.
I imagine that Duke would put the kabash on that ever happening.
TallTexan
nacluth
Gets him closer to OK State, but not much of an upward move. Maybe $100K more?
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Google says 1.3 mil per year for the last guy, Frank Haith.
PurpleOut
Staff
Definitely a step up.

Tulsa as a name doesn't sound impressive, but he'd get a significant raise, the AAC is a better conference. They were terrible this year, but they've been pretty decent in the past. Won the league two years ago.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Lived in Tulsa for a year. Surprisingly prominent university. Really strong petroleum engineering program. Google says Frank Haith was making $1.3 million……. Keller makes $365,000. Before bonuses.
TallTexan
I've heard really good things about Tulsa the city and the school.

Plus a big raise like that? Hard to pass up that kinda money.

I thought for certain it was gonna be a 200k or so raise and was shocked.
SFASawmillGuy
People seem to be expecting Keller to get offered a P5 job like OkSt right away like Brad did, but you have to remember Brad's 3 years at SFA were outrageous. 3 years, 2 tournament wins, and 1 conference loss in total. He could've picked any school he wanted, and in the end in fact did.

Kyle is a phenomenal coach, but what happened with Brad was unheard of. Tulsa is a great offer for Kyle and it won't surprise me in the least if he takes it.

Now the question is who to look for in a replacement…
TallTexan
Kyle probably would have gotten that opportunity too if not for Covid cancelling the Duke win season. That team was ready to make a run.

SFASawmillGuy
I completely agree. That was a sweet 16 team.
nacluth
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Wow. Surprising.

I don't think Keller could pull a P5 job currently, but he's got a foundation here. I think he wouldn't take a little step up for the long game, but almost a million isn't a little step up.
TallTexan
Ya I was shocked. I was expecting it to be a 600k or so job.
Ballwatch
From an article about the 2019-2020 season, a quote from Keller about the tournament being canceled due to COVID…wonder if Keller's dad still lives in Tulsa?

"My dad (who lives in Tulsa) wanted to go to our tournament (in Katy, Texas). I said, 'Dad I don't want to lose you,' in a conversation I had with him. I said, 'We just play a game. As much as you and I and everybody else love sports, we need to keep in mind this is just a sport. There are more important things in life."
Jacks4460
He gone…
nacluth
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

He gone…

Who says?
Jacks4460
I feel it BigJack.. Really hope I am off..
SFASawmillGuy
Yeah. Coaches with aspirations to be big time basketball coaches do not stay at programs like SFA, regardless of the attachment to the community. Keller wanted SFA to beat Duke, we did that. He wanted to keep SFA relevant in the national stage. He did that.
If Tulsa offers, he leaves. No question.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

Yeah. Coaches with aspirations to be big time basketball coaches do not stay at programs like SFA, regardless of the attachment to the community. Keller wanted SFA to beat Duke, we did that. He wanted to keep SFA relevant in the national stage. He did that.
If Tulsa offers, he leaves. No question.

Can't say that I'll be surprised. Just hope it doesn't happen for the obvious reasons.
wahlwesle
SFASawmillGuy said:

Wade Mason?
Jacks4460
wahlwesle said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

Wade Mason?

No Way Jose!!
MasterAxe
Explains why he was so tired looking at the WAC tourney.

Man was trying to get his money elsewhere.
jboy93
Jeremy Cox?!?!
MasterAxe
jboy93 said:

Jeremy Cox?!?!

Gotta be on short list.

Really good HC at JUcO and an elite assistant.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.