2021-2022 Lumberjack Basketball

157,845 Views | 1098 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
MasterAxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

MasterAxe said:

We want a coach (Keller or other) that does the following:

(1) Recruits well
(2) Coaches up the talent he has/makes them better
(3) Plays an entertaining style
(4) Is prepared/motivates player
(5) Makes in-game adjustments

Folks, as wild as this seems, the answer is in the building already.

Mark Kellogg.

I realize there is a ZERO percent chance of this happening, but the Ladyjacks play in infinitely more entertaining style of basketball than the men.
Wow. That one sure came out of right field. But... Makes a lot of sense. As you say, won't happen though.

As for me, Jeremy Cox would be my choice, if he'd be interested and the $$ was right. He'd be a known quantity with lots of connections across Texas and the South.
I'm with you. If the job comes open, Cox seems to be on the list.

It was said earlier, I think the Figger could be real.

He is an Ivey guy and I think that might carry a lot of weight.
TallTexan
nacluth
Yeah I read last night's Tulsa World piece on the search. I saw Konkol was on the short list and realized it wasn't as done of a deal as initially seemed.
BigJack85
Not saying he won't make a move but from the looks of things Keller might be best to stay in Nacogdoches.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

Not saying he won't make a move but from the looks of things Keller might be best to stay in Nacogdoches.

Since the staff is now out and about in a recruiting mode, that would not upset me at all. Hoping and trusting that a team rebuild is successful. As was said earlier, we'll be fine at guard, just need a couple of big (mobile/athletic) bodies.

How many scholarships do we have left?
No-look
Something to look for in a new coach(if needed) is does a lot of ex players gravitate back to said coach as in a good relationship… How does the coach treat players while in their care…
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

Since the staff is now out and about in a recruiting mode, that would not upset me at all. Hoping and trusting that a team rebuild is successful. As was said earlier, we'll be fine at guard, just need a couple of big (mobile/athletic) bodies.

I will be happy to have another year atleast of Keller. Hard to top his record and we know he'll bring in top talent.

Just gotta find some bigs and maybe one more shooter. Also, get Day Day some miracle grow or have him work on that 3.
MasterAxe
I'm not gonna pretend to know everything, but LaTech to Tulsa seems like a downgrade for that guy, right?

Maybe I'm missing something.
MasterAxe
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

I will be happy to have another year atleast of Keller. Hard to top his record and we know he'll bring in top talent.

Just gotta find some bigs and maybe one more shooter. Also, get Day Day some miracle grow or have him work on that 3.
Here is maybe a terrible way to ask about a player...can we release a player from scholarship?

I'm sure Aku is a nice guy, but from a basketball only sense, he's a waste.

And we cannot afford to have wasted players down low.

Seeing Hall step out and take a few 15-17 footers late in the year was a great sign that he is both willing and able to learn and succeed with an outside shot.
TallTexan
MasterAxe said:

I'm not gonna pretend to know everything, but LaTech to Tulsa seems like a downgrade for that guy, right?

If he makes what the last guy at Tulsa was making it'll be 3x his current salary and about 30x on conference stability.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

If he makes what the last guy at Tulsa was making it'll be 3x his current salary and about 30x on conference stability.
. Ya. La Tech will add to there "All SFA" coaching staff.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

I don't see this happening. La Tech aint paying that much more than we are for basketball. They should call Austin Claunch asap though.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Also, get Day Day some miracle grow or have him work on that 3.

Ha! Love it!
TallTexan
The ugly side of this sport.

Pilotgirl
So disgusting. On so many levels. Reported account on instagram
nacluth
Absolutely horrible.
CertifiedAxeman98
Absolutely terrible. It was sent right before the game on Saturday. My guess is that someone was trying to mess with Gavin knowing he is the best player on the team.

Sports can bring out the worst in people sometimes.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

I don't see this happening. La Tech aint paying that much more than we are for basketball. They should call Austin Claunch asap though.

Austin Claunch is my choice if Keller moves on…..
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

So disgusting. On so many levels. Reported account on instagram
Sickening! There are some evil people in the world.
CertifiedAxeman98
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

MasterAxe said:

SFA could match the $400K a year they were paying Konkol if they were to go after Keller.

I agree that La Tech should go after Austin Claunch and Austin should leave as they could easily triple his salary. Last I looked he was making $130K a year at Nicholls.
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

The ugly side of this sport.

In case you didn't see Gavin's response to this guy, I've copied and pasted it below. (I don't know how to post the entire tweet.)

I still send out love to whoever sent this and I'll pray for you! People wonder why athletes struggle with mental health. Here's reason 1374037.
TallTexan
Gavin is a class act.
Rev007
I pray that whoever sent that hateful message to Gavin experiences unrelenting internal shame for many years with feelings of immense regret that eventually lead to a changed life.
nacluth
From Midmajormadness contract report in 2019. I'm sure some things have changed.

Stephen F. Austin
Kyle Keller: $375,000
Contract ends: After the final game of the 2022-23 season.
Receives $5,000 for a 20-win season. Receives $5,000 for a CIT or CBI appearance. If SFA receives more than $225,000 in guarantee game compensation it's split evenly between the coach and SFA.

For what it's worth about the LaTech job. They also reported that when Konkol had the $150K base rate (later renegotiated up to $400K base). He was getting $250K in supplemental compensation. What all that was: house, cars, kid's schools? I don't know, but there may be incentives at La Tech that top SFA incentives by a good margin. But maybe not.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

From Midmajormadness contract report in 2019. I'm sure some things have changed.

Stephen F. Austin
Receives $5,000 for a 20-win season. Receives $5,000 for a CIT or CBI appearance. If SFA receives more than $225,000 in guarantee game compensation it's split evenly between the coach and SFA.

For what it's worth about the LaTech job. They also reported that when Konkol had the $150K base rate (later renegotiated up to $400K base). He was getting $250K in supplemental compensation. What all that was: house, cars, kid's schools? I don't know, but there may be incentives at La Tech that top SFA incentives by a good margin. But maybe not.

The deal that Keller has: getting 1/2 of pay games , over $225,000. That has probably padded his paycheck by at least $112,000 a year. Plus his other incentives (WAC Championship, participation in CBI) add another $20k. My guess is that Keller makes $490-$550 ish. Let's say La Tech puts together a $600k package (that would be more than previous HC) Does making an extra $50-$75k more make it worth the move? Idk. Idk.

I think Austin Claunch would be a real good get. Probably get him for $275k plus $125k incentive package.
sfa17
Not making the ncaa tourney this year cost Keller a P6 job. If he thinks he has a good enough team next season to go to the tourney .. then the best option is to comeback. La tech isn't a clear better job then SFA. It's close. No reason in going to another mid major just to try to move to p6 later.

If he comeback next year but doesn't make the tourney the least of his worries will be a p6 job.
nacluth
Well AAC, MAC, and probably Ivy would be significant pay increases for good programs. But upgrading mid majors probably does mean a several more year commitment at the one bid level. No guarantees.

If the ultimate goal is P5, then WAC domination is an achievable goal, but it's going to be tough. Got to hope we come through with another nonconference like this year which was a spectacular schedule.
Jacks1989
I have been following this message board for quite some time. Finally decided to make a post. When Coach Keller was first hired I had concerns that he was not the right hire. For me it didn't take long to realize that he was a great hire. I really hope that he stays and coaches all of this young talent that he has brought in to us. I think the future is bright and hopefully he is a part of it.

Also, SFA has coaches with ties to Southern Miss. There big man Tyler Stevenson has entered the transfer portal. 6'8", 215 lbs. 14.5 points per game, 7.7 rebounds. Just wondering.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Well AAC, MAC, and probably Ivy would be significant pay increases for good programs. But upgrading mid majors probably does mean a several more year commitment at the one bid level. No guarantees.

If the ultimate goal is P5, then WAC domination is an achievable goal, but it's going to be tough. Got to hope we come through with another nonconference like this year which was a spectacular schedule.

AAC for sure. MAC , not much. There is a data base on coaches salaries. I looked at some of the bigger MAC schools. Bowling Green and Kent St. If I remember the compensation packages were slightly better than SFA. Maybe $600-$700k package. $400k base.
nacluth
Jacks1989 said:

I have been following this message board for quite some time. Finally decided to make a post. When Coach Keller was first hired I had concerns that he was not the right hire. For me it didn't take long to realize that he was a great hire.
Thanks for joining the conversation. I think most of us think that Keller has been a great coach for SFA and would love the consistency of a long term coach of his caliber.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Jacks1989 said:

I have been following this message board for quite some time. Finally decided to make a post. When Coach Keller was first hired I had concerns that he was not the right hire. For me it didn't take long to realize that he was a great hire.
Thanks for joining the conversation. I think most of us think that Keller has been a great coach for SFA and would love the consistency of a long term coach of his caliber.

Agreed. 100%. I am only speaking in hypotheticals
jboy93
All of these coaching positions will be filled soon so we should know quickly whether or not he will be back???
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Jacks1989 said:

I get the feeling from a few of our coaches that they're content to be in Nac. Carthel/Keller particularly strike me as two in particular who will only leave for the perfect job, not just any move up.

I think for Keller that's probably OSU or Tulsa(family there) and for Carthel is Texas Tech.

I just don't see Carthel taking the TX State job or Keller going to LA tech just for more money.

(And heck, they could both prove me wrong at any minute and leave, but just the feeling I get).
CertifiedAxeman98
nacluth said:

Stephen F. Austin

With Keller's contract up after next season then he needs a new contract this offseason if he doesn't leave. you can't have a lame duck coach walking into the gym next fall that is how you lose assistant coaches and players.
TallTexan
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

nacluth said:

Stephen F. Austin

With Keller's contract up after next season then he needs a new contract this offseason if he doesn't leave. you can't have a lame duck coach walking into the gym next fall that is how you lose assistant coaches and players.
He's been extended. Current contract runs thru 25-26. https://sfajacks.com/news/2020/11/3/mens-basketball-sfa-athletics-announces-contract-extension-for-kyle-keller-through-2025-26-season.aspx

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.