2021-2022 Lumberjack Basketball

157,305 Views | 1098 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
jboy93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When will be know the dates for Cancun or did I just miss that post?
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Rev I promise you Kyle isnt going anywhere this year...From what I have gotten is that all went on to better salaries $$.. I agree I dont think UTEP is an upgrade over us.. Coach Cox got a raise that doubled his salary..

Based on what Georgia has historically paid their assistant coaches, Mason may have nearly tripled his salary.

What follows here is a theory though. What if the reason these guys took other jobs this off-season of all off-seasons is that they know Kyle doesn't intend to leave. These are great coaches and ambitious guys who likely see D1 HC gigs in their future and the usual path to that at their current level is win a big tourney game, and Kyle leaves, one of them gets the mid major job and the other is associate HC at a P5 school with a shiny new salary.

But, if Kyle doesn't intend to leave, and we'll all readily admit Kyle is a bit of an old school odd duck amongst his fellow coaches, that path at SFA is gone.

Now I'll admit that's all hypothesis, but I know those guys had to have gotten calls after 28-3 and the Duke win. Maybe they just didn't find the right fit.

Or maybe they saw Kyle upgrading his backyard BBQ pit, putting a new roof on his house, or joining a local church board or something and thought, maybe he's here for the long haul to build this to the next level.
wahlwesle
If you missed it, the program tweeted this back in May. I think they were sending a clear message that Keller is staying at least for this season.
Rev007
If it would help keep him in Nac, I'm willing to donate to his BBQ upgrade.
SFAJack_76
For those in panic mode, Vanya is not listed as an assistant coach now. Yes, there are no assistants listed.

Austin Cox is listed as director of basketball operations.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

For those in panic mode, Vanya is not listed as an assistant coach now. Yes, there are no assistants listed.

Austin Cox is listed as director of basketball operations.

Hmmmm.
No-look
Sometimes change is a positive thing. Hated to loose our assistants but that will be good for them and SFA will flourish because of it. Trust the process!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Rev007 said:

If it would help keep him in Nac, I'm willing to donate to his BBQ upgrade.

A Big Green Egg would look nice (in his back yard and not on the court this Fall).
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

Sometimes change is a positive thing. Hated to loose our assistants but that will be good for them and SFA will flourish because of it. Trust the process!
I largely agree with this take on the situation. Cox and Mason have been outstanding assistants to Keller, but positive change can be good for all parties. From their professional point of view, change exposes them to different basketball coaches and approaches. Keller getting replacements in, brings folks with different experiences, and points of view. The new assistants will be energized at the opportunity. SFA wins also. No idea what Vanya is going to do. Perhaps he decided college caching was not for him.

Cox essentially doubled his salary, so UTEP is definitely a step up for him. His daughter has, or is nearing, graduating from SFA. His son is Austin Cox, our new Director of Basketball Operations. The timing works for Jeremy and his family. No doubt that Mason has doubled, or tripled his salary. He had extremely serious, life threatening, health issues. No way he passes on a chance to secure his family's financial situation. Praying it won't, but cancer does return on occasion.

If it helps, one of the new assistants is hired. Announcement will be coming.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

I largely agree with this take on the situation. Cox and Mason have been outstanding assistants to Keller, but positive change can be good for all parties. From their professional point of view, change exposes them to different basketball coaches and approaches. Keller getting replacements in, brings folks with different experiences, and points of view. The new assistants will be energized at the opportunity. SFA wins also. No idea what Vanya is going to do. Perhaps he decided college caching was not for him.

Cox essentially doubled his salary, so UTEP is definitely a step up for him. His daughter has, or is nearing, graduating from SFA. His son is Austin Cox, our new Director of Basketball Operations. The timing works for Jeremy and his family. No doubt that Mason has doubled, or tripled his salary. He had extremely serious, life threatening, health issues. No way he passes on a chance to secure his family's financial situation. Praying it won't, but cancer does return on occasion.

I'm just disappointed that I've got to start over on sending highlights to the new coaches. I know I was near an offer with the other two. I grabbed the rim the other day.
TallTexan
Can we please find someone who is a dang good free throw coach too?

Because that's two extra wins a season right there.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

Can we please find someone who is a dang good free throw coach too?

Because that's two extra wins a season right there.

I was in NY when Tom single handedly gave us one of the best tournament wins ever. Free throws matter.
purpleballs
jboy93 said:

When will be know the dates for Cancun or did I just miss that post?

According to article November 23rd and 24th.
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

I'm just disappointed that I've got to start over on sending highlights to the new coaches. I know I was near an offer with the other two. I grabbed the rim the other day.
And I thought I was in a good position because I could see the rim from 100 feet...
Rev007
Someone did a nice job with Calvin on his free throw shooting. When he first got to SFA, he was a brick layer. During the last half of last season, he was one of the most reliable free throw shooters. I'm sure he put in the extra work. He even started making a few three pointers. If he were to develop a reliable 10-12 foot jumper, I'll be delivering a Big Green Egg to Coach K's BBQ upgrade.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I didn't know that Nac has a Toys R Us.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I didn't know that Nac has a Toys R Us.

Bingo....
SFAXE93
nacluth
Nice!
SFA Jack Fanatic

I'm under the impression that MBB has one more scholarship to give. Is my math wrong on that?

BTW, it's great to see that the whole team will apparently be on campus the whole summer. That will really help with team building and cohesiveness when November finally rolls around, especially with so many new faces on board.

BTW, it looks like they need to get a couple of those guys back into the weight room ASAP.
SFAJack_76
No-look
He has to be a good one with that name.
No-look
Dec 18th!
PurpleOut
Staff
YES!
nacluth
Nice! Summer has barely started and we're already 1-0!
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Nice! Summer has barely started and we're already 1-0!

I've read a couple of KU fan websites and they barely even mention the SFA game. I guess that's to be expected. Shocker #2 dead ahead.
SFA Jack Fanatic
KU will also play Tarleton, so we'll get an early read on them.
SFAXE93
I bet there are some Baylor and Duke fans that would love to consult with them.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I'm under the impression that MBB has one more scholarship to give. Is my math wrong on that?

BTW, it's great to see that the whole team will apparently be on campus the whole summer. That will really help with team building and cohesiveness when November finally rolls around, especially with so many new faces on board.

BTW, it looks like they need to get a couple of those guys back into the weight room ASAP.
Wondering about the last scholarship thing. Will they go after a role player or a stud?
PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleOut
Staff
Tony was 52-47 as a HC at IPFW (Summit League) and then 95-123 with Jacksonville (A-Sun), where he was just fired in March.

Seems like a decent hire for an Assistant role.
nacluth
You got me excited with Fort Wayne, but then realized he probably wasn't part of their recent rise. But, he seems like a solid assistant.
SFAJack_76
Coaching Highlights
  • 2014 - Hugh Durham National Coach of the Year
  • 2014 - Skip Prosser Man of the Year Finalist
  • 2014 - CollegeInsider.com Summit League Coach of the Year
  • 2014 - College Sports Madness Summit League Coach of the Year
  • 2016 - NABC District 3 Coach of the Year
  • 2016 - CollegeInsider ASUN Coach of the Year
  • One of two coaches nationally to improve team's win total over a 3-year span twice
  • Coached 4 All-ASUN performers in 3 years at Jacksonville
  • Had a 13-game home winning streak at JU from 2/28/15 to 2/18/16, longest since 1972-74
  • Led IPFW to a school-record 25 wins and a CIT win against Akron in 2013-14
BigJack85
Let's face it. Fort Wayne isn't a real destination spot. Considering what he accomplished, he must have some skills.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Let's face it. Fort Wayne isn't a real destination spot. Considering what he accomplished, he must have some skills.

You mean you guys dont vacation on the Maumee river?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.