2021-2022 Lumberjack Basketball

157,777 Views | 1098 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Time to let this season go, and move discussion on to the next one. First order of business has got to be, what the heck is the roster going to look like?

Or, perhaps the first order is, what does the coaching staff look like? Hopefully, no change.
cboothe09
Hopefully no change, but sooner or later people are going to come calling for Cox and Mason. Mason is going to get a head gig soon...

As for roster...
PG - Posey
SG - Hawkins
SF -
PF - Solomon
C - Nana

I feel like nobody else will be back. I want KJ to stay. I see a lot of potential in his game. His speed is unbelievable. He has a good jumper, but struggles to get open shots. Defensively he could be a huge pain for opposing teams, but gets lost from time to time. I want him back though. I think he is worth giving another shot. Fairly certain Brown is gone.

We do get Tezeno, but he will need a little time. Plus, we have seen highly touted freshman struggle under Keller as they adjust to D1 life.

That said we are looking for 6 new players. Unless the find some diamonds in the rough, we will be hitting the JUCO and transfer market hard this offseason. Depth is needed everywhere.
nacluth
I've got lots of thoughts, but just quickly about Mason. Unless his recovery is a lot better than it seems, I doubt he's becoming a D1 coach soon. He still moves tentatively from what I can tell. Now he may be much further along than what a casual fan can see from the sidelines, but he doesn't seem to be jumping into the fire anytime soon. Love him and wish him the best, and I could be wrong.
SFAJack_76
I have similar concerns about how Mason could hold up to the extreme rigors of being a head coach. I hope I am wrong, but his body went through some brutal times. He needs to put himself first for his young family.
MasterAxe

I'm translating this as "I'll be back."

One can hope.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Hope you're right. We'll need a true PG. Posey and Tezeno are shooting guards, and McDaniel is still too much of an unknown, IMO.

David would look good holding an SFA Masters Degree in a year or so.
nacluth
I know McDaniel redshirted last year, but riding a bench for two years, the only way I see him back is we can't fill our roster spots. I bet he'll stay to keep his scholarship. He seems like a great guy, but there was opportunity this year to play.
jboy93
Calvin reached out to three seniors about next year on his Instagram? Gavin, Roti, and Cam were the only seniors that he mentioned. Can we read anything into that?
TallTexan
nacluth said:

I know McDaniel redshirted last year, but riding a bench for two years, the only way I see him back is we can't fill our roster spots. I bet he'll stay to keep his scholarship. He seems like a great guy, but there was opportunity this year to play.
I feel like McDaniel has the chance to develop into a Comeaux type player, but we'll see.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Would love to see Kachelries return as he performed so well as the season progressed. Course would welcome any and all to come back though mostly wishful thinking.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The number of D-1 players in the transfer portal jumped from 238 to 292 in just the last three days.
CertifiedAxeman98
Verbal commits' shows that Kharee McDaniel has entered the transfer portal. This is disappointing to me. I figured he was the PG of the future.
Pilotgirl
Not too surprising tho...
nacluth
To echo cboothe's post:

As for roster...
PG - Posey
SG - Hawkins
SF -
PF - Solomon
C - Nana

I think with McDaniel's probable exit, this is where we stand. I guess David's post the other day gives some hope that he might consider returning. That would make a huge difference in the team. But regardless, this is going to be a huge rebuild.

Tezeno seems like a great pickup, but we need lots (lots!) of guards. Adding 5 playable guards is a tough task any year, but I think that's got to be the minimum right now. I think Cox can pick up two bigs to back up Calvin and Nana, but this is another recruiting challenge. I expect lots of news the next couple of months.
cboothe09
Thank goodness for the free waiver rule this year. We have the chance to snag DI players that can come in and contribute immediately.

That said, recruiting is going to be tough sledding this year with everyone chasing proven commodities...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

Not too surprising tho...

Agreed.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

To echo cboothe's post:

As for roster...
PG - Posey
SG - Hawkins
SF -
PF - Solomon
C - Nana

I think with McDaniel's probable exit, this is where we stand. I guess David's post the other day gives some hope that he might consider returning. That would make a huge difference in the team. But regardless, this is going to be a huge rebuild.

Tezeno seems like a great pickup, but we need lots (lots!) of guards. Adding 5 playable guards is a tough task any year, but I think that's got to be the minimum right now. I think Cox can pick up two bigs to back up Calvin and Nana, but this is another recruiting challenge. I expect lots of news the next couple of months.

I really hate this time of year, especially with numerous holes to fill. The worrying keeps me popping blood pressure pills. But I have faith in the coaching staff, SFA's BB program reputation, and the allure of the new practice facility to get us some quality help.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Just wondering.... Do you think that Keller has given a deadline for the Seniors to notify him as to whether they are planning to go or to stay?? Doing that would sound logical to me.
nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Just wondering.... Do you think that Keller has given a deadline for the Seniors to notify him as to whether they are planning to go or to stay?? Doing that would sound logical to me.
Sounds logical. But, the seniors don't impact our scholarships. (We can have 13 plus returning seniors.) So there's no real reason why they have to decide immediately. Probably just before summer camp, but I'm sure the earlier the better.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Sounds logical. But, the seniors don't impact our scholarships. (We can have 13 plus returning seniors.) So there's no real reason why they have to decide immediately. Probably just before summer camp, but I'm sure the earlier the better.
Exactly. Keller and company could get 13 other scholarship players, and any returning seniors could be on top of that. They don't need to be waiting on the seniors to decide if they are coming back or not.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Thanks, guys. I forgot about that.
Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

nacluth said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Exactly. Keller and company could get 13 other scholarship players, and any returning seniors could be on top of that. They don't need to be waiting on the seniors to decide if they are coming back or not.
Yes sir this is great.. We are gonna blow the WAC up in Vegas next year.. I already blocked that week off..
sfa17
INiedrauer
Staff
If Goodman is correct, at least we have Keller (for now) back in Nacogdoches next year:

He was one of three finalists who interviewed in person on Saturday for the Lobos.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TallTexan
What's this about?
INiedrauer
Staff
INiedrauer said:

If Goodman is correct, at least we have Keller (for now) back in Nacogdoches next year:

He was one of three finalists who interviewed in person on Saturday for the Lobos.
Let me follow up by saying, someone who I absolutely believe and trust 100% told me this is completely false and Keller never interviewed for the New Mexico job. Apparently, the local paper was wrong: https://www.abqjournal.com/2369403/nunez-interviewing-candidates-in-chicago-three-emerge-in-lobo-hoops-coaching-search.html
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

TallTexan
Interesting.
PurpleOut
Staff
INiedrauer said:

INiedrauer said:

Let me follow up by saying, someone who I absolutely believe and trust 100% told me this is completely false and Keller never interviewed for the New Mexico job. Apparently, the local paper was wrong: https://www.abqjournal.com/2369403/nunez-interviewing-candidates-in-chicago-three-emerge-in-lobo-hoops-coaching-search.html
Do we know you?
INiedrauer
Staff
My self imposed "got too close/Conque credibility crisis" ban is winding down. Also it's March and I can't stay away.
-
Isaac Niedrauer
@INiedrauer

SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

What's this about?

I don't know what this is about, but it had nothing to do with Keller.
sfa17
I sure hope so
RedRiverLa
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

What's this about?

Sorry, that was me. I floated the rumor that we were turning on the purple lights every time Sam lost no matter who they played.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
djsfw57
RedRiverLa said:

SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

What's this about?

Sorry, that was me. I floated the rumor that we were turning on the purple lights every time Sam lost no matter who they played.
Makes sense to me. LOL
PurpleOut
Staff
Last night in the 'Jack Chat Series from the SFA Alumni Facebook page, Keller said there are seniors coming back.

He was answering a question on the outlook of the program, so not sure if he was meaning they had the chance to come back...or if they actually were.
SFAJack_76
Not unexpected.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.