THIS IS THE WAC

132,335 Views | 1032 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by BigJack85
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fun. I hope they try something like this.
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Interesting. We shall see if it comes about. It will be hard to get that many conferences and schools to agree on anything so radically different.
Absolutely. It is good to be in a conference that is trying to do something different rather than being in one that just waits to see what happens to it.
SFA88
SFAXE93 said:

WAC Women's Soccer

SOUTHERN UTAH 4-0-0
UTAH VALLEY 2-0-2
GRAND CANYON 3-1-1
CBU 2-1-0
TARLETON 2-1-1
ACU 2-2-0
SEATTLE 2-2-1
NM STATE 1-2-1
UTAH TECH 1-2-0
SFA 1-3-1
SHSU 0-3-0
UTRGV 0-4-0

I was on the WAC website and it looks like men's soccer is good too. GCU beat VT in Blacksburg and UCLA in LA. Seattle defeated ND and Utah Valley battled Oregon State to a 0-0 tie. There are some losses in there too, GCU lost to Denver (a very good men's soccer program) and Seattle lost to Kentucky and Louisville but the WAC has some respectable teams.

I don't know what is going to happen with football but for basketball, baseball, soccer, and volleyball there is no question the WAC is a step up over the SLC. Women's basketball still needs to improve but we know CBU, GCU, and now UTA are putting in the effort and support their WBB programs. I probably should include UVU and we don't know yet about SUU and UT.

Heading into the second year, I like the move even more than I did when it was first announced.
BigJack85
SFA88 said:

SFAXE93 said:

WAC Women's Soccer

SOUTHERN UTAH 4-0-0
UTAH VALLEY 2-0-2
GRAND CANYON 3-1-1
CBU 2-1-0
TARLETON 2-1-1
ACU 2-2-0
SEATTLE 2-2-1
NM STATE 1-2-1
UTAH TECH 1-2-0
SFA 1-3-1
SHSU 0-3-0
UTRGV 0-4-0

I was on the WAC website and it looks like men's soccer is good too. GCU beat VT in Blacksburg and UCLA in LA. Seattle defeated ND and Utah Valley battled Oregon State to a 0-0 tie. There are some losses in there too, GCU lost to Denver (a very good men's soccer program) and Seattle lost to Kentucky and Louisville but the WAC has some respectable teams.

I don't know what is going to happen with football but for basketball, baseball, soccer, and volleyball there is no question the WAC is a step up over the SLC. Women's basketball still needs to improve but we know CBU, GCU, and now UTA are putting in the effort and support their WBB programs. I probably should include UVU and we don't know yet about SUU and UT.

Heading into the second year, I like the move even more than I did when it was first announced.

Astute observations. I too have looked at the WAC universities in the broader NCAA division 1 conference structure. In all but one or two sports the WAC is in the top 1/2 (or better) than the 32 or so D1 conferences. We all know that the SLC was 29/30 out of 32. So this is a huge leap forward that increases our postseason odds across the board.

Regarding football. If the WAC doesn't find another school or two to play football, I would be all in on a "Greater South/Southwestern" football league that would compete with the MVFC, Big Sky, CAA. To do this would require quality programs from top to bottom. Unhooking from respective "core" conferences (ie ASUN, WAC, etc).

I would take the Texas WAC schools , combined with the ASUN squads and add in a SLC squad , maybe 2. Of the SLC schools I would pick SLU and McNeese.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
SFA88 said:

SFAXE93 said:

WAC Women's Soccer

SOUTHERN UTAH 4-0-0
UTAH VALLEY 2-0-2
GRAND CANYON 3-1-1
CBU 2-1-0
TARLETON 2-1-1
ACU 2-2-0
SEATTLE 2-2-1
NM STATE 1-2-1
UTAH TECH 1-2-0
SFA 1-3-1
SHSU 0-3-0
UTRGV 0-4-0

I would love to see SFA figure out how to have men's soccer too. Catching that wave before the P5 schools do could work out great for us.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFA88 said:

SFAXE93 said:

WAC Women's Soccer

SOUTHERN UTAH 4-0-0
UTAH VALLEY 2-0-2
GRAND CANYON 3-1-1
CBU 2-1-0
TARLETON 2-1-1
ACU 2-2-0
SEATTLE 2-2-1
NM STATE 1-2-1
UTAH TECH 1-2-0
SFA 1-3-1
SHSU 0-3-0
UTRGV 0-4-0

I would love to see SFA figure out how to have men's soccer too. Catching that wave before the P5 schools do could work out great for us.
Would have to add more women's opportunities to be in Title IX compliance.
TallTexan
Women's swim or lacross is pretty promising. But yep, we'd definitely have to add more.
SFAXE93

Allen is for real!
SFAXE93

ACU improves to 3-1
SFA Jack Fanatic
Two UTRGV men's basketball players from Eastern Europe have been ruled ineligible to play this year, and they also lost a year of eligibility. The NCAA has a rule that says that in order for a freshman to play at a D-1 school he/she must enroll within a year of their high school graduation, which they did not do for various legitimate reasons. They will have to sit for a year or play JUCO ball this year.
No-look
Wow! Hate that for the players
SFAXE93
BigJack85
Does the WAC get creative when CUSA takes Tarleton?
SFAJack_76
Goodness. Travel.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The GCU students won't be quite as excited while both the Ladyjacks and Jacks are taking their little teams' arses behind the woodshed.
TallTexan
I think I missed this, but it sounds like CUSA is taking Kennesaw state for an even 10.
SFAXE93
Looks like they're also considering SFA, Tarleton, Eastern Kentucky, and others, but KSU is the favorite.
SFASawmillGuy
Rumors are that C-USA wants to make it a 12 team conference, so 3 more additions are likely. KSU and then probably Tarleton and us I would guess.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
nacluth
I don't see how SFA is a lock when we're openly looking at switch our government, but maybe that's an alternate universe.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

I don't see how SFA is a lock when we're openly looking at switch our government, but maybe that's an alternate universe.

Rumor central.
SFAXE93
SFA88
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

The GCU students won't be quite as excited while both the Ladyjacks and Jacks are taking their little teams' arses behind the woodshed.

Meh, NMSU has been putting it to them regularly and they still show up and they are still rowdy...at the beginning of the the game. :-)
SFA88
They can afford it. I read an article that said they played several of those teams last year in a couple of MTEs. So maybe they are used to it?? Still a long way to go.

One sees a lot of travel in some of the new or fringe sports. Arizona State has a hockey team (unusual to say the least). They are an independent and play a bunch of Midwest and East Coast teams. I assume some alum is helping foot the bill.
TallTexan
TallTexan
Was reading this & apparently any school that leaves before 3 years in the league owes 1 million, which is doubled if they don't provide proper notice.

Does that mean Sam owes 1 million & Lamar 2 million?
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Was reading this & apparently any school that leaves before 3 years in the league owes 1 million, which is doubled if they don't provide proper notice.

I'm sure there's a "reclassification" clause. So, Sam probably doesn't owe squat. Lamar, should owe $2 million.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

I was visiting with some staff folks I know, from a business perspective. I was left with the impression that this system stuff is moving fast. Opinions are solidifying behind UT or A&M. I think it's resolved before the end of January and the university makes a decision on conference affiliation pretty quick.

Sadly, the NMSU/SHSU defections really changes the calculus. I was a huge fan of the WAC when it appeared to have a real strategic plan. Without those 2 it's much harder.
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

I was visiting with some staff folks I know, from a business perspective. I was left with the impression that this system stuff is moving fast. Opinions are solidifying behind UT or A&M. I think it's resolved before the end of January and the university makes a decision on conference affiliation pretty quick.

Sadly, the NMSU/SHSU defections really changes the calculus. I was a huge fan of the WAC when it appeared to have a real strategic plan. Without those 2 it's much harder.
The system decision is supposed to be completed by the end of November.
SFAXE93

"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

I'm sure there's a "reclassification" clause. So, Sam probably doesn't owe squat. Lamar, should owe $2 million.
Lamar paid $2 million. Sam and NMSU will pay $1 million each since they gave one year notice.
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
nacluth
How much longer before the WAC becomes a Texas only conference?
BigJack85
nacluth said:

How much longer before the WAC becomes a Texas only conference?

Good question. Not sure where Utah Tech and SUU would go. Seattle is ripe for the WCC. CBU and GCU are stranded. So I don't know how this all plays out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.